Dazed

Butterfly

Sana blinked when the butterfly flew away.

She sighed, the psychiatrist shaking her head as she returned to her paperwork. Well technically there was no paper, just a large amount of opened files on the computer. Sana sighed, feeling a bit hot in as the AC failed to sufficiently to cool her. Damn the warm weather, but at least it makes for some nice outdoor scenery. She looked again to the window as her fingers automatically typed whatever was going on in her mind.

The words filled the computer on autopilot, but the writer was absent.

No particular thoughts flitted her mind, just words strung together to make a cohesive report so that she could get by Chaeyoung with just a simple reprimand to do better. Damn that little genius, thinking she could do better than her despite graduating from a better university with the same degree, won several awards for her post-doctorate work, is much cuter than Sana is, and does it all while looking like a baby.

And she is!

The boss was just a few years younger than Sana, and yet she has the authority, no, the gall to order Sana around! The psychiatrist pursed her lips together and shook her head as she looked back to her screen. The report was mostly in order, but there were some typos and skipped words. Sana nodded; it’s to be expected. She wanted to add more words, but the thoughts were escaping her. She screwed her eyes shut to grab them, but they were just too fast. Newspapers on a very windy day, which was pretty much how most of Sana’s thoughts go.

The doctor sat up and stormed out of the office. She placed her hands in her white coat and paced down the fluorescently pale hallway as people bustled around left and right. Variously robed patients moved by, some with fellows, fellow guardians, or with colleagues. Doctors carried patients and folders as they escorted one, the other, or both. Sana rubbed her eyes beneath her glasses, the brightness really getting to her. The halls and the white coats nearly blinded, so much so that she had to navigate by instinct. A left here, down the stairs, a few flights, keep going, and straight ahead. She went through another well lit hallway before bursting through the double doors into the central courtyard.

Sana strode through past the wonderful garden to a pale swan in the center pool of water.

What she sought was the not the actual swan, but the graceful dancer moving around it. Her legs swam through as her feet glide through the air. Even in scrubs, the dancer looked beautiful. Her arms were raised above her head, as if carrying a small bundle and cradling it to the sky. The girl spun, and spun and spun before she moved forward in her silent song. Sana took a seat on the bench as she watched the ballerina in awe, her eyes taking in the whole of her beauty as she danced around the pool. Not even the different flowers, from vibrant reds, to bright yellows, to mellow purples, each with their own allure, could not come close to touching the dancer.

“Hot damn.”

Sana jumped at the sudden voice. She turned to find a tall girl sitting beside her, watching the ballerina with a serene expression. Her long black hair fell like an ebony waterfall over her white coat as she waved along to the invisible rhythm. The psychiatrist frowned upon the other doctor, not remembering her among the list of doctors in the asylum. She looked too young to be here, much less even a doctor.

“Excuse me,” Sana hesitantly interrupted. “Who are you?”

“Oh, I’m just another doctor here,” the girl said. “I work on the side of the hall, and I’m just watching her.”

“Ah.” Sana eyed the girl, unsure of her words. “Are you assigned to her?”

“Nah, I just like watching her when she’s here.” The girl leaned against Sana’s shoulder. “It really takes the stress off of work.”

“Right.” Sana leaned a bit away from the her, causing the other “doctor” to sit up. “Let me see some I.D.- “

“Tzuyu!” Sana froze, knowing that fearsome voice anywhere. “Get back here!”

“Gotta run, sugar plum.”

The girl, Tzuyu, gave Sana a quick kiss on her cheek before running away. Tzuyu stopped though, feeling her coat being stuck. She looked back to find Sana’s hand frozen to her coat tails. The doctor’s face was very red, her eyes distant as she tried to comprehend what just happened. Tzuyu groaned in defeat when a tiny doctor approached her with the clack of heels.

“Sana, you can let go now,” the small doctor ordered as she held onto Tzuyu’s shoulder. “She’s my patient.”

“Wh-what?” Sana let go as she looked to her boss, instantly dreading the outcome. “Y-yes ma’am!”

“Honestly, shouldn’t you be writing those reports?” Chaeyoung shook her head. “Have you even visited the patients?”

“Yes, yes I have!” Sana instantly stood, her hands fisted defensively. “I have written the reports, I just needed some time to think before finalizing and sending them to you, ma’am!”

“Good to hear,” The smaller doctor said simply as she yanked Tzuyu back to where she came from. “And by the way, just to let it on a little secret, I like you the most out of all the other doctors here.”

“Even me?”

“You’re not even a doctor, Tzuyu!” Chaeyoung barked. “Now shut up before I get your parents here!”

“Meanie…”

“Depressive kids these days,” The boss muttered. “Well, I’m off. I need to get the kid here back to her room before she causes more confusion on the other doctors. Or worse, the patients.”

Chaeyoung turned deftly and pulled Tzuyu away, who reached for Sana as she begged the smaller girl to let her go. The psychiatrist froze. She mentally shook her head and forced herself to watch the swan dance near the pool again. Sana sighed, glad that her boss didn’t give her more trouble than necessary. The woman watched as the patient hopped closer to her and reached out, her eyes seeming to focus on the doctor. Sana giggled at the proximity, before the dancer reached in and just gently brushed a finger against her ear.

Sana’s held her breath before the dancer pulled her hand away. Her eyes followed something on her finer, something that Sana can’t seem to see. With the way the thing was handled, it looked fragile. The dancer then hopped away, allowing Sana to sigh. The tension was good, but the release is what Sana really needed. She looked up to the sunny sky and watched the clouds roll a bit before leaving. The raven-haired doctor bowed to the dancing beauty before she left.

Sana sneezed as she entered the double doors.