Christmas Sweaters

sound out - drabble collection

Nayoung hasn’t seen Jieqiong. Well, she sees Jieqiong since they live in the same dorm and go to most, if not all their schedules together, but she hasn’t really seen Jieqiong. As soon as they get to the dorm, Jieqiong heads straight to her room. If Nayoung tries to go with her, she gets a door in the face with Jieqiong saying how she’s tired and just wants to rest. When they’re in the car Jieqiong sits in the back rather than the front with Nayoung, like she usually does. Jieqiong just has somewhere she always has to be instead of with Nayoung.

This has been going on since the beginning of December. It’s now the 17th, just a few minutes before her birthday. She’s been moping, or as the younger members say it, brooding now that Jieqiong’s been ignoring her.

“Happy birthday!” Nayoung nearly falls off her bed as the girls crowd into her room. Jieqiong’s holding a cake, smiling widely as she tells Nayoung to blow out the candles and make a wish. They all take turns giving Nayoung her presents, one of which turns out to be the reason why Jieqiong’s been so busy for the past seventeen days.

“It’s almost Christmas, and I made it with the softest yarn I could find,” Nayoung’s holding a Christmas sweater. A Christmas sweater Jieqiong made just for her. She can’t help but smile at the sweater, even with the bells nearly falling off, and one of the reindeer’s legs being a bit shorter than the others, but Jieqiong made it for her, so she loves it all the same. “I hope you like it.”

“I love it,” she slips it on, the smile never leaving her lips, “It’s soft and almost as cute as you.” There’s someone fake vomiting in the background, quickly followed by a yelp as Chungha elbows her (it’s Somi), telling her that it’s sweet.

-

Jieqiong and Nayoung are back at the Pledis dorm for the birthday-Christmas party the girls insisted on throwing. Minkyung told them it was themed, and the theme for this year is ugly Christmas sweaters. Not like that was a problem for Nayoung since she has the sweater Jieqiong made her for her birthday, except Nayoung argues that her sweater isn’t ugly.

“If we’re going to have an award for the ugliest sweater, I think Nayoung unnie wins.” Yebin says absentmindedly as she opens the door to let them in. She misses the frown on Nayoung’s face as she’s easily distracted by the cookies Seungyeon takes out of the oven.

“It’s not ugly,” Nayoung mutters under her breath, her attention turning to Jieqiong as she hears the younger woman laughing.

“It kind of is, unnie. It’s okay, you make it look good.” Jieqiong grins, placing a peck on Nayoung’s cheek before pulling her into the dorm.

-

It’s been almost two weeks since Nayoung’s birthday, which means it’s been almost two weeks since Nayoung’s taken off her sweater.

“Unnie, don’t you have anything else to wear?” Doyeon asks from the couch, watching as Nayoung hangs her laundry to dry. “What laundry do you even have to do, if that’s all you’ve been wearing?”

“But I like this sweater.” Nayoung dismisses her, finishing up her laundry. Doyeon isn’t the first to say something. Somi’s for it, and so has Sejeong. Every time the other girls visit, she’s wearing that sweater and they ask if all her clothes have disappeared and that’s the only thing left, or if she’s just too lazy to do her laundry and wears it instead. Nayoung just tells them it’s her favorite sweater, and her heart flutters each time she sees the smile that graces Jieqiong’s face when she hears it.

-

“You don’t have to wear it all the time, you know,” Jieqiong tells her one night when they’re cuddling in her bed. “That blue hoodie you have is softer than this one,” she’s curled against Nayoung’s side, playing with one of the bells on the handmade sweater, “And it has pockets.”

“I don’t have to,” Nayoung starts, combing her fingers through Jieqiong’s hair as she presses a kiss to her forehead. “But I want to.” She lets out a soft laugh, causing the younger woman to glance up at her. “It’s my favorite sweater, made by my favorite person.”

Jieqiong fake gags, laughing as Nayoung playfully hits her, “You're lucky I love you.”

“I love you too.” Jieqiong’s smiling that smile and Nayoung swears she has stars in her eyes.

They’re in Jieqiong’s bed, laughing between kisses, Nayoung’s still in that ugly Christmas sweater Jieqiong made her, and she wouldn’t have it any other way. 

-

a/n: This didn't quite turn out the way I wanted it to, but I hope you enjoyed it anyways. Thanks for all the subs and the kind words. Merry Christmas!