.7.

Wrong Train; Right Tracks
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“Baekhyun is missing?!” Chanyeol asks.

Baekhyun’s mother chokes back a sob before explaining.

“H-he came back that day; with you… and then you left in that cab. Oh, you- you should have seen my baby’s face when you left! He looked as if… as if you’d ripped his heart out and left with it… I- I told him to run after you, to ask you to come in and eat something and take some rest and then leave… he l-left, and- and-” tears fill her eyes. “-he never came back, Chanyeol-ssi.”

She grips the edge of his desk so tightly that her knuckles turn white. “I- I saw you on the news today, and I knew you were the man my baby had run away for, and y-you were my only hope, and now you’re telling me you didn’t know about-” she shakes her head, wiping her tears with the back of her sleeve.

“Oh, ma’am,” he says gently. “I- I’m very sorry, but I really didn’t know about this…”

“It’s alright, Chanyeol-ssi,” she gathers herself and stands up. “Th-thank you for seeing me; I’m sure you’re a very busy man.”

“No, ma’am,” Chanyeol says, gripping her hand in his. “I’m going to find him.” He assures her. “I’m going to find Baekhyun and I’m going to bring him back to you. I swear, ma’am.”

She looks up at him eyes wide with hope. “I- I will pray that you do, Chanyeol-ssi. Please, please bring my baby back to me.”

“I’m very sorry about this.” Chanyeol bows to her as she leaves.

He picks up his phone and dials for Jongin.

“Hello?”
“Jongin-ah,” Chanyeol says. “Please inform everyone that I will be taking a week’s leave, will you?”
“Sure, sir,” Jongin replies. “But why-”
“I’ll be back within a week, Jongin, thanks!” he hangs up before his assistant can ask any more questions.

Half an hour later, Chanyeol boards the train to Bucheon, this time with money and a goal in mind.

Where are you, Baekhyun?

 

 

 

Baekhyun stares at the TV, emotions that he cannot name swirling in his stomach.

“SM’s CEO Park Chanyeol has announced earlier this day that he will be introducing a brand new product.  Many speculations have arisen, but nobody truly knows what the young CEO has come up with this time. The past six months have seen a tremendous rise in the value of SM’s stocks, and it is well known that this is only because of young Park Chanyeol, who inherited SM company from his father, the late Park Jungshin. At this rate of growth, experts say that Park Chanyeol will take the company to much greater heights than his father ever did. This young CEO is definitely one to keep an eye on! Now, on to Choi Minho for sports.”

Baekhyun switches the television off.

Everyone lied to me.

He buries his head into his hands, trying not to cry. He has an interview today; crying will only make his eyes swell up. He stands up and takes a deep breath. He has to do well at this interview.

He steps out of his room, smoothing down his shirt.

“Are you checking out, sir?” the receptionist asks.

“Yes,” Baekhyun hands the key to his room. “Thank you.”

“Oh, sir?” the woman says, just as Baekhyun is about to walk out. “There’s someone here to see you; they’re waiting in the restaurant.”

“M-me?”

 

 

It hadn’t even taken that much effort, Chanyeol thinks.

He had gotten off at the station where Baekhyun had missed his train the first time –Gaebong. Thankfully, Gaebong is a small town; small enough for people to notice when there’s a new person in town. He had gone to the inn they’d stayed at, and after asking around, had come to the conclusion that Baekhyun is staying at a motel at the very end of town, and he had been asking around for a job.

As he sits waiting for Baekhyun, Chanyeol wonders what he will say to the other boy. Come back home? I’m sorry for leaving you?

 

“Ch-Chanyeol?”

 

Chanyeol looks up, and all the breath whooshes out of his lungs.

He looks so small.

“Baekhyun,” he says, standing up. “How are you?”

“Wh-what are you doing here?”

“I- I came to see you, Baek.” Chanyeol says, “Your mother is very worried.”

Baekhyun looks away.

“I’m sorry, Chanyeol.” He says, with a voice that is as tightly strung as the string of a guitar. “You should leave.”

“I’m not leaving here without you, Baekhyun. Let me take you back home.”

“You left me once, Chanyeol. I’m sure you can do it again.”

Baekhyun turns to go.

In a last, desperate attempt, Chanyeol grabs hold of Baekhyun’s thin wrist.

“What happened, Baekhyun? I-is this because of me?”

Baekhyun looks up at Chanyeol, a small, sad smile on his face. “No,” he says softly. “It’s not because of you.”

“Then what is it?” Chanyeol asks.

“Let me go, Chanyeol. Why are you even here? I thought I was a burden for you; I thought you wanted to get rid of me.”

“I- I’m sorry, Baek-”

“You lied to me, CEO-nim,” Baekhyun says. “You never told me who you were.”

“It wasn’t important, Baekhyun, but-”

“Leave me alone.” Baekhyun whispers and makes for the door.

“Pl-please, Baekhyun,” Chanyeol says. “Tell me what happened so I can change it. I- I’ll do anything to help you, I-”

“You’ve done enough for me, Chanyeol. You took me home,

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter