Nib

Suga in My Coffee

Suga in My Coffee

 

 

14. Nib

 

Suga’s POV

I had just climbed in bed at 3 am, when my cell phone rang loudly from the night stand. Jin-hyung groaned in his sleep as I blindly reached for the phone, not recognizing the number on the caller ID. I saw the country code in front of the phone number and instantly became wide awake. The number was from America.

 

I sat up immediately, holding my breath as I swiped the screen to answer the call. I didn’t say anything at all, my heart pounding nervously in my chest.

 

“Yoongi-ah.”

 

The relief I felt was instantaneous the moment Niah’s voice filled my ear. I grabbed a pair of earbuds and put them in while I padded softly out of my bedroom, heading to the kitchen in the dark. I sat down at the table, remembering how we had kissed here during her first visit to my dorm.

 

“Niah,” I breathed, feeling my heart skip a beat when I heard her sigh contentedly.

 

“I saw the video,” she murmured, and I smiled triumphantly, glad that she had watched it. I bit my lip, my mind buzzing with all the words I wanted to say to her and all the questions I wanted to ask.

 

“Do you miss me?”

 

“Too much,” she replied automatically, and I wholeheartedly agreed.

 

“Are you angry?” I asked next, and she giggled softly. I could see her smile in my mind’s eye and it lifted some of the heavy sadness that had clung to me lately.

 

“At myself, but not with you.” She replied warmly.

 

“Do you still love me?”

 

She was quiet for a moment, making me worry just a little bit. I heard a little jingling sound in the background, and realized what she was trying to tell me. She was shaking her bracelet for me to hear, proof that she was wearing it even now, “I never stopped.”

 

Saranghae, jagiya.” I told her heatedly, the words rushing from my lips.

 

Saranghae, Yoongi.”

 

“I want to see you,” I whispered longingly, and I heard her exhale sharply. It reminded me of the fact that we had been apart for a month and I felt a pang in my chest as I said it again, “I really want to see you.”

 

“Honey, it’s… like 3 am over there, you should be going to bed or-”

 

“Niah, please?” I didn’t care how pitiful I sounded, begging at 3 am to just get a glimpse of her face.

 

She sighed again, but I could hear her smile, could see it in mind, “Ok… Let’s switch to video.”

 

I nodded as she ended the call, wasting no time to call me back just as quickly. I moved from the kitchen into the living room, turning on a single lamp so she could see my face too. When she finally appeared, I couldn’t help the huge smile that covered my entire face. Niah was in what I guessed was her bedroom, sitting on her bed. Her hair was done in long twists this time and she had piled it all on top of her head. She was smiling at me with her beautiful brown eyes and I moved the camera to my lips, kissing her image.

 

She giggled, rolling her eyes, “Yoongi, I can’t see you properly if you do that.”

 

“I asked to see you, not the other way around,” I replied with a smirk, and she pouted cutely, making me want to kiss her. I watched as she shifted in her bed, holding the phone at a different angle. With each passing moment, I missed her more.

 

I swallowed heavily, feeling the weight of my words before I voiced them, “Niah, are you ever going to come back?”

 

She nodded resolutely, “I’ll do my best to get back as soon as I can. I promised to eat with you at your Mom’s restaurant, remember?”

 

I didn’t know it was possible to feel so happy and miss someone so much, all at the same time, “She’s been asking me a lot of questions about you.” I grinned, hitting the button to take a screenshot of Niah’s face, “Now I have a picture to send her.”

 

She frowned, covering her face with her free hand, “Don’t send her pictures right now! I’m barely dressed.”

 

Jagiya, you’re beautiful no matter what.”

 

Niah softened visibly and I felt the desire to kiss her all over again. She blushed prettily, looking away from the camera, “I just have really good lighting in my room.”

 

I chuckled huskily, shaking my head, “I think you’ve gotten prettier since the last time I saw you.”

 

Niah laughed, “Have you been taking lessons from Rap Mon? My Yoongi doesn’t know how to compliment others so nicely.”

 

I perked up at that, giving her a hopeful look, “Am I still yours?”

 

Niah smiled, tapping her finger on her collarbone. It made me reach up and touch the necklace around my own neck, the one she had given me, that I wore every day, “We even have couple’s jewelry, don’t we?”

 

I beamed at her, and she gave me a blinding smile of her own. We continued to talk to each other into the night, until Niah demanded that I go to bed. Before we ended the call, Niah pressed a kiss to the camera, a soft smile on her face.

 

“Yoongi, I’m sorry for pushing you away. I’m really sorry for leaving without telling you,” she murmured softly and I sighed, wanting to hold her. If I was honest, I had gone through stages of dealing with Niah’s absence. I was sad at first, then angry with myself and with her. In the last few weeks, I was back to being mopey again, but after hearing her voice, I found that those negative feelings had vanished into thin air. Now, I just missed her like crazy.

 

“You should have told me,” I told her in an admonishing tone and she nodded, looking ashamed, “So now I want an apology gift.”

 

Niah laughed, clearly not expecting such a reply, “An apology gift?”

 

I nodded, “You never asked me for my wish when we played basketball last time.”

 

Niah smiled, “Oh, you’re right! What was it?”

 

“I don’t remember.” I told her with a shrug.

 

Niah burst into a fit of giggles, “Min Yoongi, if you don’t-!”

 

“So instead, I want you to grant my wish now.”

 

Niah looked intrigued, “What’s your wish?”

 

I looked directly into the camera, hoping she could see all the feelings I couldn’t say out loud, “For my jagi to come back as soon as possible.”

 

When I finally climbed back in bed at 5 am, I felt like I was floating. I fell asleep instantly with my girlfriend’s face and voice lighting up my dreams. The next morning, I felt refreshed and determined. Niah had been put in an impossible situation because of me and I had to do whatever I could to fix it. I called our entire group to the kitchen, fidgeting nervously as I waited for everyone to take a seat.

 

“Yoongi-hyung?” Taehyung questioned, when he realized that I had called everyone to the kitchen at the same time.

 

“I need your help,” I said quickly, fighting off the wave of embarrassment and humiliation I felt at having to ask my members to help me.

 

“Sure, Suga-hyung,” Kookie agreed easily, with a shrug. Hobie wagged his finger at Jungkook, nodding for me to explain myself further.

 

“Niah got in trouble with Seoul University because of me and I have to do something to fix it. I want to take responsibility, but I’ll need your help to do it. Will you come with me to speak to the university president and his son?”

 

“Are you going to hit him again?” Jin-hyung asked with a teasing laugh, and I shook my head vehemently.

 

“I’ll try not to.”

 

Namjoon nodded, “Ok, so what’s your plan, Yoongi-hyung?”

 

I filled them in on all the details of my plan and explained their parts in it. When we all had agreed on it, Jimin grinned, patting my back, “I’m so proud of you, Yoongi-hyung!”

 

I gave him a thumbs up as I stepped out into the living room to call our manager and explain the situation to him.

 

Two Days Later

We were able to schedule a meeting with Seoul University’s President Park, and his son, quickly. We rolled up to the university with cameras and a crew, drawing lots of attention as we walked towards his office as a unit. All of this was part of the plan, a tactic that Namjoon had suggested to get the attention of not only the students at the school, but the press.

 

We were escorted into a large conference room while the press waited out in the hall. The university president sat at the head of the oblong-shaped table, with his son and his son’s girlfriend, on either side. I narrowed my eyes when I saw the familiar face of one other person: Niah’s sunbae. His eyes grew wide when we stepped into the room and the president’s son pointed at me with a loud gasp.

 

“You! It’s you!” Chul Hoon shouted, and I smirked at him, taking a seat at the other end of the table, my groupmates grabbing chairs on either side of me. My manager stood beside me, and with a nod, the meeting began.

 

I stood up first, bowing politely in front of the group that had gathered, “I wanted to apologize to President Park, and his son, Park Chul Hoon, for my actions at the club. I want to give compensation for the damages.”

 

“Jae Young, that’s the guy! He’s the one who punched me!” Chul Hoon shouted and Jae Young blinked in surprise, staring at me.

 

“Y-You’re N-Niah’s-?”

 

I cut my eyes at him, “It’s improper for a sunbae to speak so informally about his hoobae, isn’t it?”

 

Taehyung and Jungkook chuckled behind their hands, but I kept my stoic expression, hoping Jae Young had a retort so I could rip him apart verbally. He wisely kept his mouth shut.

 

The university president was star-struck, grinning from ear-to-ear, “So you’re the one that punched my son at the club? My daughter loves your group! ...She’d be really disappointed if we made this into a scandal so... I don’t think we have to make it a big deal.”

 

I grinned happily and Chul Hoon jumped out of his chair, shouting incredulously, “Appa! You can’t forgive him so easily! My nose was damaged!”

 

The president turned to his son, waving him off, “It was crooked anyway, so he actually did you a favor.”

 

APPA!” Chul Hoon screamed in embarrassment, and I had to fake a cough to reign in my laughter. The rest of the group was struggling to do the same.

 

“As compensation for your son’s nose, I’d make you an offer,” I said, bridging the gap between myself and the university president. Jae Young stiffened in his chair when I walked by him, and I smirked, turning towards the president, “BTS would like to be a guest speaker at both the Fall and Spring Commencement for the trouble I’ve caused. It’s already been approved by our company.”

 

The president jumped up out of his chair, moving to shake my hand, “Oh! That’d be wonderful! Oka-”

 

I held up a hand, tightening my grip in our handshake, “However, I have two conditions.”

The president realized he was locked in a hand hold with me, and I wasn’t letting him go any time soon, “Oh? What is that?” He asked, with a nervous laugh.

“BTS will be the guest speaker at both commencement ceremonies if Niah Walker is allowed back as an exchange student at Seoul University and re-instated on the women’s basketball team.”

 

A hush fell over the room as the president realized that my group came with a price. After a minute, he smiled and proceeded to shake my hand again, “That’s easy to fix. Consider it done.”

 

I nodded succinctly, finally releasing my grip on the older man. Namjoon stood up and came over to shake his hand too, “Thank you for your help in resolving this issue, President Park.”

 

The man nodded, turning to his son, “I can’t believe you treated Suga-ssi’s girlfriend so badly. She was obviously hurt by what you did. Apologize.”

 

Chul Hoon looked angry, but his father glared at him, shutting down any objections. Chul Hoon grabbed his girlfriend’s arm, pulling her out of her chair and making her bow with him, “We’re sorry for any trouble we caused.”

 

I crossed my arms haughtily, “Though you should both be saying that to my jagi, I’ll accept your apology in her stead.”

 

“It’s not good to say hateful things about people just because they’re different. I hope you learned something today,” Namjoon added, admonishing them both. The pair nodded and rushed out of the room, Chul Hoon’s face flushing in anger.

 

The president shook all our hands one more time before heading out of the room, whistling cheerfully at the amount of free press we just gave his college. Only Jae Young remained at the other end of the conference table, staring down at it with an unreadable expression.

 

I plopped down in the leather chair next to him, “Thank you for taking such good care of Niah all this time,” I told him with saccharine sweetness, causing the rest of the group to laugh as they took that as their queue to leave.

 

As the others filtered out into the hall, Jae Young finally looked up at me, his expression a mixture of anger and sadness, “I didn’t… Niah didn’t tell me about you at all,” he said distantly, shaking his head.

 

I frowned, “I distinctly remember telling you not to be so familiar with her.”

 

He held his hands up defensively, “Sorry, it’s just habit. I’m still American, after all.” I watched him as he stood up from his chair, turning back towards me with his hand on the door knob, “Please… just… just treat her well. Niah gets lonely, but she won’t say anything and she’s-”

 

“I know,” I ground out, not wanting to hear him say anything else about *my* girlfriend.

 

He nodded, “Yeah, I’m sure you do.” Jae Young gave me one final look before he stepped out of the conference room, leaving me in silence by myself.

 

I pushed out a breath and stood up, plastering a smile on my face as I stepped out into the bustling hallway to find the rest of the group.

 

End Chapter 14