Light Brown

Suga in My Coffee

Suga in My Coffee

 

 

10. Light Brown

 

A/n: Not sure if any of you guys have been reading the comments on this fic, but I’ve decided to turn this into a bit of a mini series! Once I’m done with this story, I’ll be moving on to Rap Mon x Quinn! I hope you’ll read that story too, :)

 

Niah’s POV

Since Yoongi and I had made up, we became practically inseparable. I spent as much time with him as our crazy schedules allowed, both at Big Hit and in the BTS dorm. It became a routine for me to leave work or campus as soon as I could and rush to be by his side. Thankfully, he didn’t have any tours or events that sent him on the other side of the world, but I knew they were coming. I mentally tried to prepare myself for that time, but meanwhile, we enjoyed each other’s company and learned as much as we could about each other.

 

Our relationship was doing really well. I couldn’t post pictures all over the Internet of our time together, but I had hundreds in my phone. Suga grumbled about them, but let me do what I wanted, and I was happy about that. I even sent a few to him so that he could have some on his phone too.

 

I didn’t realize what a mistake that was until Suga did a live broadcast in the studio. I had been working out at the gym, watching TV, when a “candid” live show started on BTS. The camera invaded his studio, showing the room to whoever was watching the program. He did well with the interviewer firing off a million questions, but while they were talking, he took out his cell phone to show something and I realized with wide eyes that he had saved one of our pictures as his lock screen. The picture flashed on the screen for less than half a second, but it was long enough for me to panic slightly.

 

I shut off the TV and moved away from the treadmill, moving over to another machine. I turned up my music, trying to ignore the rising panic in my chest and focus on the task at hand. I had been exercising on the new machine for about five minutes, when I felt someone tap my foot.

 

“Niah.”

 

I looked up when I heard my name called to find Jae Young standing in front of me. His brown eyes were dark and brooding, but on top of that, he looked… worried.

 

I sat up, wiping sweat from my brow and turning off the music, “Hey Jae Young,” I said softly, trying to sound much calmer than I felt.

 

“Niah, there’s been-” He began and then he coughed, clearing his throat, “I wanted to apologize to you.”

 

I nodded, opening my Gatorade bottle and taking a sip, “Thanks for that. I appreciate that. I’m sorry too. It wasn’t my intention to hurt your feelings.”

 

Jae Young’s expression turned hopeful for a moment, before concern covered his features once again, “Niah, thanks for your apology, but there’s more… I didn’t just come for that.” I waited, looking at him expectantly. He heaved a heavy sigh and continued, “I have a friend that says he needs to meet you. Not right now; he’s busy, but later. Will you come if I call you?”

 

I furrowed my brow; who could this person be? I found myself nodding to his request, if for no reason other than curiosity, “Sure, I can do that.”

 

He breathed a sigh of relief and nodded, “Ok. Just… watch for my call, ok? It’ll either be today or tomorrow.”

 

I smiled, giving him a thumbs up, “Sounds good.”

 

Jae Young nodded, seemingly hesitant to leave, “Niah, be careful, okay?”

 

I tilted my head curiously. What’s up with Jae Young? “Sure. You too!” I replied with a wave. Jae nodded and returned the gesture, heading out of the gym quickly. I stared after him for a moment, before shrugging; maybe he just wanted me to be sure not to pull a muscle or something.

 

Suga’s POV

“Damn it!” I cursed out loud, leaning my head back against the glass in our dance studio. I can’t believe I made such a dumb mistake on TV. Already sleuths on the Internet were screenshotting the half-second image that flashed on my phone screen. There was lots of speculation: was I dating? Is she a celebrity? Was that actually a girlfriend or just a friend?

 

“Yoongi-hyung, it’s not a big deal. No one could see her face and even zoomed in, the picture is super blurry. I doubt anyone will know it’s Niah-ssi.” Namjoon reasoned, patting me on the shoulder.

 

I scoffed, annoyed with myself for even changing my lock screen to that picture. I knew better.

 

“What if they find out who she is? Niah won’t be able to go outside,” I groaned, running my fingers through my hair angrily. I just wanted to date my girlfriend in peace, honestly. We were in a wonderful place and I didn’t want to ruin it.

 

“People already go crazy when she’s outside; it’s nothing new.” Namjoon replied and I turned to him, frowning in confusion.

 

“Wait, what?” I asked, not at all sure what Namjoon was talking about.

 

“Suga-hyung, have you not noticed? Niah-ssi is a foreigner. People stare at her all the time,” J-Hope informed me, an incredulous look on his face.

 

My frown deepened, “I didn’t notice…”

 

“Did you think they were staring at you? Well they might be but Yoongi-ah, they’re definitely looking at the beautiful girl on your arm,” Jin stated, as if it was the most obvious thing in the world.

 

“Then that makes it even worse, hyung! What am I going to do if...if-” I blanched as I thought of all the bad things that could happen to Niah when the world found out she was dating me.

 

“Yoongi-hyung,” Namjoon grabbed my shoulders, shaking me, “No one can make out her face clearly from the video. Don’t worry just yet. I’m sure Niah-ssi’s fine.”

 

I nodded, taking out my phone to text Niah anyway, just to be sure.

 

Niah’s POV

I should have known that Jae Young’s weirdness would be the start of an absolutely horrible day. My train ran late, which put me behind schedule for the rest of the day. I ran from the train station to Mango Mocha with a mere five minutes to spare. We were slammed with customers because there was a festival in the neighborhood and we were shorthanded because one of our workers called in sick. It was crazy for a full nine hours. I didn’t even get a chance to take a break because we had so much work to do.

 

When we finally shut down for the day, my temporary boss walked up to me with a dim smile, “Niah-ssi, having you here for the last three months has been a pleasure. Thank you so much for all that you’ve done for our shop.”

 

I held my breath, waiting for the rest of her statement. I could tell where this was going.

 

“Hye Ri-ssi will be coming back to work for us tomorrow. We’re going to transfer you back to the university's location.”

 

I tried to keep my expression passive, while internally I was screaming. If I transferred back to campus, I wouldn’t be able to see Yoongi as often. It was an hour long train ride from campus to this district.

 

“Can we delay it for at least a week?” I asked, trying to keep it together. This was officially the worst day ever.

 

“Unfortunately not, Niah-ssi. Hye Ri-ssi’s ready to come back to work and we can’t afford to keep you both on the schedule. Plus, your position here was only temporary from the start. It’ll be easier on you to stay at the campus, right?”

 

I couldn’t blame my boss for trying to be helpful, but she really had no idea what she was talking about. I nodded hollowly, taking a minute to process her words. I was going back to the campus coffee shop. This was going to make things with Yoongi and I a bit harder, but we would just have to work around it.

 

I took my boss’s hands in mine, “Thank you so much for allowing me to work here with you and everyone else. I learned so much from everyone.”

 

She gave me a weathered smile and patted my hand, “Thank you for working so hard today. Go home and enjoy your day off tomorrow.”

 

I nodded, heading into the employee locker room to clean out my locker and gather my things. I had loaded everything into my backpack and headed out of the shop, pulling out my phone. I had two missed texts from Yoongi.

 

I told him I had been busy at work and he told me to meet him at Big Hit. I made my way over to the company, only to find fans sitting outside of the building. This was the first time I had ever seen so many people huddled around on the street, but I gave them a wide boundary, staying as far away from them as possible. I kept my head down and strolled into the building. Suga met me in the lobby and I followed him up to the studio, where he drew the blinds and locked the door so no one would come in unexpectedly.

 

I stretched out on the couch, covering my eyes as I thought about the crazy day I had. I wanted to tell Yoongi about my job transfer but I wasn’t sure how to tell him.

 

“Niah?” He asked, and I finally uncovered my eyes to find him leaning over me with a worried look on his face. It was incredibly sweet. I sat upright and patted the spot on the couch beside me, which he occupied at my request.

 

I leaned against him, sighing heavily, “Today was a bad day.”

 

I felt him stiffen beside me and turned to see Yoongi looking at me nervously, “W-What happened?”

 

“Yoongi, did you just stutter? Was that Satoori?” I teased with a giggle.

 

Yoongi pouted, crossing his arms and facing away from me, “No, I have no idea what you’re talking about.”

 

“Why are you nervous? Did you do something?” I asked him, poking his cheek softly.

 

Yoongi turned, leveling a look at me, “You didn’t hear anything?”

 

“Oh no, I saw it. I guess you finally saved our picture on your phone after I asked you too, right?”

 

He uncrossed his arms, as I realized I had hit the nail on the head. He placed his hands on my shoulders, “Are you mad?”

 

I shook my head, amused by his cuteness, “Did you do more than that? You’re not normally this considerate, Yoongi-ah,” I replied with a giggle, which earned me another pout.

 

“Well, it was my fault,” he said sullenly, and I kissed his cheek; he was just too adorable.

 

“I’m not mad. If people know, it doesn’t bother me. I’m more worried about your label and your fans. I don’t want to disappoint them.”

 

“You would never disappoint them, Niah,” Yoongi told me, wrapping his arms around me. I smiled and leaned into him, burying my head in his chest. I felt warm and comfortable in his arms. I didn’t ever want to move.

 

Unfortunately, reality is hardly ever what we want it to be, so I had to tell the truth. I moved from Yoongi’s embrace, looking into his puzzled eyes as I mentally prepared myself for what I had to say, “Yoongi, I have something to tell you.”

 

He furrowed his brow, confusion clear on his face. He sat silently, waiting for me to continue.

 

“They’re transferring me back to the campus branch of Mango Mocha. I start there in two days.”

 

When he audibly breathed a sigh of relief, I found myself smiling again. I wasn’t expecting that response from him, but it was good to know he wasn’t upset.

 

Yoongi gathered me in his arms once again, pressing a kiss to my forehead, “I thought you were going to say something really scary.”

 

“Like what?”

 

Yoongi smiled ruefully, “Like ‘Oppa, let’s break-up’ or something.”

 

I laughed at his exaggeration, “When have I ever called you oppa? Also, would I still be calling you oppa if we were breaking up? Do girls do that?”

 

Yoongi shrugged, “Maybe?” He smirked, as another thought crossed his mind. He stared at me directly, wiggling his eyebrows, “You could call me oppa right now, if you want.”

 

“Ah, but Yoongi-oppa sounds so weird,” I said with a laugh, giving him a light push to put some space between us. He chuckled, releasing me entirely as he stood up, heading towards his computer desk.

 

“No, it doesn’t. It sounds great to me.” Yoongi replied, with a smug grin.

 

I rolled my eyes, “I’ll leave that to ARMY,” I told him with my own smug smile.

 

He laughed again, “I have to work on a song for a bit, but then we can leave after that. Is that ok?”

 

I shook my head, “I don’t think we’re getting out of here any time soon.” I stood up, following him over to the computer, pulling up the pictures I took of the crowd that had gathered outside. “Your fans were standing around outside earlier. I think they came to the festival and decided to make a stop.”

 

Yoongi groaned, “.”

 

I giggled, “You’re really good at cursing in English, I see.”

 

Yoongi grinned mischievously, tugging me forward until his lips were beside my ear, “Let’s find out if you’re good at cursing later,” he whispered, running his fingers along the back of my neck.

 

I nearly stopped breathing, standing rooted in my spot as Yoongi examined my expression. He stuck his tongue out at me teasingly when I finally recovered, covering my racing heart with my hand, “Min Yoongi, you’re horrible!” I cried, my cheeks burning at his suggestive words. He laughed, releasing me finally.

 

I stepped away from him in a daze, embarrassed that his words made me so heated. I took a breath, plopping back down on the couch and digging out my laptop. Since Yoongi was working, I figured I’d be productive too.

 

Suga’s POV

I finally pulled away from my computer at 2 am, much to my surprise. I hadn’t intended to work on the song for so long and I really hadn’t meant to keep Niah out so long either. I sent a message to Karissa to let her know that Niah was still with me, in case they worried about her. I turned off the entire system before I walked over to Niah, who had fallen asleep on the couch, her laptop still open. I saved her work and put the laptop back in her bag, being careful not to wake her.

 

Since I was known to nap in my studio a lot, I actually had a blanket and pillow already stowed in the room. I removed my shoes and climbed onto the couch with her, adjusting Niah so that I could hold her as she slept. With one hand, I covered us both with the blanket and just laid there, watching her sleep. She looked so peaceful, her lips parted softly as she lay in my arms.

 

It was crazy to think that just three months ago, I hadn’t known her. It was hard for me to remember what life was like before Niah, which was surprising for someone like me. I had never felt this way about anyone, ever, and the idea of it scared me. I wasn’t the affectionate type, and sometimes I say things too harshly, but Niah accepted it all while teaching me how to be more honest with my feelings. She always nagged me about eating and resting, and she was so considerate of my free time. I hugged her tighter to me, loving the feel of her body against mine. Not in a ual way, but in a comforting way -- she made me feel more relaxed and she didn’t pressure me to do anything I didn’t want to.

 

To think that I found all of this by chance. To think that if one woman hadn’t have gone on maternity leave, I’d never have met the amazing person in my arms.

 

Niah sighed in her sleep, and I pressed a kiss to her forehead, telling myself to stop focusing on the what ifs. I traced my finger along her arm, feeling the cool metal of Niah’s bracelet on my fingertips. She wore it every day and according to her roommates, she never took it off. I was glad that she treasured my gift to her so much.

 

But who was I kidding? Her entire being was a gift to me. I never wanted to let her go. I pressed another kiss into her hair, as I felt my eyelids getting heavy. As Niah moved in my arms, I slipped into sleep’s embrace completely.

 

Niah’s POV

 

I woke up to the feeling of air whispering across my cheeks, a strange sensation when you usually sleep alone. I sighed, snuggling closer to the warmth that was wrapped around me. I opened my eyes slowly, coming face-to-face with none other than my boyfriend, Min Yoongi. He sleep with his face next to mine, giving me a full view of all his features. Instead of panic, I felt more relaxed than ever. I caressed his face softly, tracing his full mouth and flawless skin with my fingertips. Surely, no man should be allowed to be this perfect.

 

I admired his gorgeous face for a while longer, jumping in surprise when he hummed at the back of his throat and rewarded me with the warmest expression I’ve ever seen as he opened his eyes. He looked so sweet, so hot in that moment, his eyes clouded with sleep as he stared at me. Suga blinked, pulling back from me a bit to rub his eyes. He yawned, still holding me tightly, “Ugh, what time is it?”

 

I giggled softly, not even sure of the time myself. I leaned over the couch to grab my phone that was probably going to die any minute, “It’s 8 am exactly.”

 

Yoongi groaned, leaning his forehead against my shoulder, “We fell asleep in the studio. Everyone’s going to be annoying.”

 

“Haha, they’ll just tease us a little bit,” I said, putting my phone back down beside my bag. “What time did you even fall asleep? How long was I out for?”

 

“I finished working on the song around 2… When I looked over, you were sleeping already,” he told me, rubbing my arm gently. I smiled, enjoying how familiar he had become with me.

 

“Are you busy today?” I questioned, biting on my bottom lip and trying not to look too hopeful.

 

Yoongi frowned, “Yeah, we have a photo shoot in three hours.” He sighed, pressing his head back against the couch and staring up at the ceiling, “Sometimes I wish I had a job where I could call in sick.”

 

I grinned, shaking my head, taking his face in my hands “Ugh, absolutely not. I can’t even imagine you doing anything other than music. You were born for this, Yoongi.”

 

He stared at me wordlessly, before he smiled so wide, I worried that it would hurt his cheeks. His fingers threaded in my hair, bringing me forward and he kissed me heavily, until I was surely going to faint for lack of air.

 

“And you were born for me,” he murmured when he pulled away, not even giving me time to reply before he kissed me again. I was lightheaded and dizzy from the intensity of his kisses, but I did my best to return his feelings with the same fervor.

 

Later

 

Since Yoongi would be busy for the rest of the day, I headed back to the campus. I had just gotten out of the shower when I got a text from Jae Yong, telling me to meet him and his friend in the cafeteria. That was perfect, since I had wanted to get something for breakfast anyway.

 

I got dressed and headed over to the cafeteria, humming as I walked along. Even though my day had been pretty awful yesterday, it ended on a wonderful note and my morning had been that much better. Maybe dating a world famous celebrity wasn’t so bad.

 

The cafeteria wasn’t busy at all so I was able to get a tray and my food quickly. I found Jae Young at the very back of the room, sitting at a table next to…

 

I froze in place as I realized who was sitting next to him. Sitting beside Jae Young was a person I never thought I’d see again: the racist from the club. He sat next to Jae Young looking smug and stupid, his nose still bandaged from when Yoongi had punched him. He had shifty black eyes, and a greasy smile that made me want to smack him.

 

My eyes narrowed to practically slits as I strode forward purposefully, trying to hold in my anger. I slammed my tray down on the table, forcing myself not to yell, “Why is HE here?”

 

“Niah-ssi,” Jae Young started, looking between the two of us worriedly. The arrogant beside him just smirked, and I wanted to choke him.

 

“So THIS is Niah-ssi? It was harder to find you then I thought. My nose is almost healed, no thanks to you,” he told me, and I glared, turning back to Jae Young.

 

“You better answer me NOW Jae Young, or I’m walking out of here.”

 

“You’re not going anywh-!” The guy bit out, leaning forward, but Jae Young put his hand on his arm, abruptly cutting him off.

 

“Niah-ssi, this is University President Park’s son, Chul Hoon Park. He said that you and your boyfriend beat him up at a club.”

 

Chul Hoon pointed at his nose, “And I want recompense.”

 

“You racist cu-” I cursed, slamming my hands on the table, but Jae Young grabbed my wrist, giving me a pleading look with his eyes. I growled, sitting back down in my chair.

 

“I’m not paying you anything! Did you tell Jae what you called me?!”

 

“Niah-ssi, that was just a misunderstanding,” Jae Young said, cutting his eyes at me as if his words had some other meaning.

 

I shook my head fiercely, “There was no misunderstanding. I heard what he called me. I’m not paying anything.”

 

“Then give me your little boyfriend’s information and *he* can pay me. After all, he’s the one that harmed me.”

 

Jae Young’s expression looked pained, “Who is this boyfriend he’s talking about? Who were you with that night?”

 

As memories of that night resurfaced in my mind, I realized with growing panic that I absolutely could not tell them about Yoongi, “He wasn’t my boyfriend,” I lied immediately, and Jae Young sighed, shaking his head.

 

“Look at this little liar! I know he was your boyfriend and when I find him-!” Chul Hoon yelled, and I turned my head so fast, he actually looked startled for a moment.

 

“You’ll never find him. My story will stay the same. The person there wasn’t my boyfriend, and even if he was, I wouldn’t tell you anything about him.”

 

“Niah-ssi, please don’t make this difficult,” Jae Young pleaded and I gave him my meanest death glare. How dare he speak to me about making anything difficult!

 

Chul Hoon got angry, slamming his fist on the table as he stood up, pointing at me accusingly, “You and your boyfriend are dead! Your days are numbered, foreigner! My father will find out who he is and then you’ll both be expelled!”

 

I politely flipped him off as he stormed away, “Make sure you tell him what you called me while you’re at it!”

 

Jae Young slumped in his seat, holding his head in his heads. He sighed heavily, shaking his head, “Niah-ssi, are you INSANE? His father is the president of this university! You could be expelled! He could force you to go back to America!”

 

I turned to Jae Young, resisting the urge to give him a swift kick in his nether region, “And YOU stood by him! You don’t even know what happened! How could you set me up like that, Jae?! I thought we were friends!”

 

“Niah-,”

 

“No, Jae Young, you. Did you even think to ask me what happened? Did you think about how I felt? Or did he threaten you too and *that’s* why you’re acting like a coward?” I scoffed, grabbing my tray, no longer feeling hungry anymore, “Ugh, whatever. We’re done. Completely. I can’t keep friends around that don’t trust me.”

 

“Niah-ssi, don’t-!”

 

I stormed out of the cafeteria, ignoring Jae Young’s cries for me to come back.

 

End Chapter 10