Powdered

Suga in My Coffee

Suga in My Coffee

 

 

13. Powdered

 

A/n: Chapter 12 will be the only Rated M chapter for the rest of the fic. If you skipped it, you can keep reading here! Thanks for sticking with me everyone. This story is almost finished, :)

 

Suga’s POV

It didn’t take long for Niah and I to fall into a deep sleep, completely spent from our full day together. I remember holding her impossibly close to me while we slept, eliminating any space that remained between us.

 

I woke up to the sound of my phone’s alarm blaring the next morning, groaning when I realized I had left it to charge on the other side of the room. I rolled over, bleary-eyed as I ran my fingers through my hair. I sighed loudly, sitting up in bed and stretching slowly. As I moved my limbs, I noticed a strange dinging sound. I blinked in confusion at the cool sensation I felt on my collarbone, wondering what was sitting there. I rubbed my hand on the area and surprisingly felt my fingers twist around a necklace on my neck.

 

It was then that I realized I was completely alone in the hotel room. I looked beside me, to see if maybe Niah had moved away from me in her sleep, but she wasn’t there at all. I took inventory of the room, climbing out of the bed as I looked for any of her belongings. My stomach filled with dread when I noticed that all of her things were gone too -- it was like she had scrubbed the room clean of any traces of her presence.

 

I walked over to the desk, where my phone was charging and finally turned off my alarm. Beside it, was a little note, written on the hotel’s stationary.

 

“Yoongi, thank you for everything. I love you,” I read out loud, furrowing my brows as I tried to make sense of what was happening. I re-read the note twice, before setting it back down on the desk beside my phone. I headed into the bathroom, confirming what I finally knew to be true. Niah was gone. I wasn’t sure where she was or how long she had been gone, but she had left without even telling me.

 

In the bathroom mirror, I finally got a look at the chain around my neck. It was gold, with a basketball charm that matched the one on Niah’s bracelet. I examined it in the mirror, trying not to think the worst. Her note had sounded so… final. Like she was going far away…

 

I rushed over to my phone, but just when I picked it up, it started to ring. I held my breath as I looked down at the caller ID; unfortunately, it wasn’t Niah, but Namjoon.

 

“What?” I bit out harshly, with an annoyed huff. I didn’t have time to talk to him right now!

 

Hyung, I don’t want to interrupt, but we have to be at the broadcast station in an hour and everyone’s looking for you.” Namjoon informed me, and I sighed heavily, forcing myself to move towards the bathroom.

 

“Okay, I’m on my way,” I told him, frustrated with him and this situation. I needed to figure out where Niah had gone, but of course, work came first. I hung up with Namjoon and debated on sending her a text. In the end, I sent her one, asking where she had run off to, hoping that she’d reply to me soon.

 

Eight hours later, I discovered that I didn’t get any replies at all. As a matter of fact, not only did she ignore my texts, but my phone calls went unanswered too. I was overly anxious by the time we got back to our dorm later in the day, bursting into the living room where Namjoon sat leaning against Jin on the couch, sighing heavily.

 

“Namjoon-ah, have you talked to Quinn-ssi today? I can’t find Niah,” I told him, trying not to sound as frantic as I actually was.

 

Namjoon shot up, his eyes narrowing, as he stood up and pointed at me accusingly, “Are you responsible for this? What did you do this time, Yoongi-hyung?”

 

Jin shook his head, pulling Namjoon back down on the couch, “I’m pretty sure he has no idea what’s going on either, Joon-ah.”

 

Namjoon frowned and I matched his expression, taking a seat on the couch beside Jin-hyung, ”You’re the God of Destruction, not me. Did you finally break your girlfriend?”

 

Namjoon growled, rubbing his fingers through his hair angrily, “I never even got a chance to ASK her to be my girlfriend and now she won’t talk to me!”

 

I paused, “Wait, Quinn-ssi won’t talk to you? What happened?”

 

Jin turned to me, recalling the events in Namjoon’s stead, “Joon-ah was thinking about asking Quinn-ssi to be more than friends, and she gave him the cold shoulder. She said something about not getting involved with an idol.”

 

I furrowed my brows in confusion, “Why would she say that? Niah’s been fine with me.”

 

Jungkook walked into the living room solemnly, sitting down on the coffee table in front of us, “I don’t think Niah’s fine, Yoongi-hyung. Look at what Karissa-noona sent me.”

 

All of us leaned in to look at the tiny screen, while Namjoon read the text out loud, “I’m sorry to cancel on you, but we’re taking my roommate to the airport.”

 

I blanched, frozen in shock and Namjoon’s face grew pale, “When did she send this? Which roommate?!”

 

Kookie sighed, biting his lip in worry, “She sent this to me two hours ago.”

 

Both of us were pulling out our cell phones in an instant, dialing the girls’ numbers frantically and rushing to the front door to put on our shoes. I prayed that someone answered in time.

 

Niah’s POV

I sighed as all three of our phones rang at once, knowing exactly who was calling. Quinn tsked, silencing her device with a glare in Karissa’s direction, “Come on, Rissa, really?”

 

“Someone has to talk sense into you two! This is crazy,” Karissa said, shaking her head in disbelief.

 

“Oh, like you’re one to talk,” Quinn grumbled, crossing her arms with an annoyed huff. I laughed at them both, hugging Quinn first, then Karissa.

 

“They won’t make it in time, Kari,” I said, sadly. She nodded tearfully, hugging me once again.

 

“At least I tried,” she said, sniffling delicately. I kissed her cheek, doing my best to hold back my own tears.

 

“Tell him it’s not his fault,” I told her with a dim smile, knowing he would blame himself anyway.

 

“But that’s a lie, because it is,” Quinn bit out, as her phone began to ring a second time. She growled and shut the device off completely. “Niah, we can still go back and try to fix this.”

 

I shook my head, kissing her cheek too. She hugged me again, tightly, “I lost my scholarship and my reason for being in the country so there’s really nothing to fix. Plus, Dad would kill me for backing out after he spent all this money on my plane ticket.”

 

“Last call for Flight 543B to Atlanta-Hartsfield Jackson Airport. Please board now.”

 

As the announcement for my flight dinged over the loudspeaker, Karissa began to bawl, right there in the middle of the airport. Quinn was next, and before I knew it, the three of us were crying together once again.

 

I hugged them both a final time, “I love you both very much.”

 

“I love you too! Make sure you call as soon as you land,” Karissa mumbled, pressing her face into my shoulder.

 

Quinn agreed, giving me one last squeeze, “Love you too, sweets. Tell Dad hey for us both. Be safe.”

 

I nodded as I finally released them. I took a steadying breath and stepped away from my two best friends, who stood watching me as tears ran down their cheeks. I bit my trembling lips and took in my final glimpse of Seoul, knowing that Yoongi wouldn’t come in time, but almost wishing that he would. I smiled bitterly, waving at my friends as I turned away from them to line up at the gate. I blew them a kiss when the stewardess scanned my ticket and pulled my carry-on behind me, choking back a sob when my friends disappeared from view.

 

Suga’s POV

If I could have run all the way to the airport, I would have tried, if only it got me there faster. Jungkook, Jin, Namjoon, J-Hope and I had all crammed into a van, going as fast as we legally could to get to the airport. Namjoon had stopped trying to call Quinn since her phone was going straight to voicemail now, while Kookie and I kept trying to call them. After the tenth unanswered call, I growled, slamming my hand against the headrest in front of me. J-Hope yelped when his seat jolted forward.

 

“Yoongi-hyung…” Jungkook murmured sadly, and I tried to ignore him, but the gravity of the situation was getting to me. With a sinking feeling, I told myself that maybe Quinn was the one that had left and not Niah. She wouldn’t just leave after the amazing day we had together, would she?

 

As we pulled up to the airport, the truth hit me in the gut. Quinn and Karissa stood at the curb, attempting to hail a cab with Niah nowhere in sight. Karissa was dabbing at her face with a handkerchief, while Quinn spoke to her tersely about something. They were impossible to miss even amongst all the people filtering in and out of the airport. We poured out of the car, much to the surprise of people around us, who were gasping in shock to see BTS unescorted at the airport.

 

Karissa spotted us first, her face going from surprised to sad in an instant. Quinn frowned, crossing her arms and standing at her full height as we rushed towards them. I reached them first, stopping to catch my breath as Quinn scoffed and Karissa gave me a sad smile.

 

“You’re too late,” Karissa said softly, her voice catching as she spoke. She pushed out a steadying breath and I tried not to shout at her to explain herself, feeling fear and anger grip my chest at the same time.

 

“Too late for what, Karissa-noona?” Kookie asked, walking up beside me. He put his arm around my shoulder, waiting for the girls to answer him.

 

Karissa opened to reply, but Quinn beat her to it, “She left, Suga-ssi. Because of your irresponsible actions, Niah had to go back home.”

 

“B-back home?” I choked out, feeling like I was drowning. I thought for sure that my heart was going to stop beating any second.

 

Karissa’s lip trembled as tears sprang to her eyes, “It’s not his fault, Quinn!” She turned to me with an apologetic shake of her head, “Niah had to go back to Atlanta, Suga-ssi. She was removed from the basketball team and expelled from the university for fighting.”

 

“Wha-”

 

Quinn was livid, pointing her finger at me accusingly, “She gave up everything for your ungrateful . She took all the blame and covered for you. Now she has to go back home and you... You get to continue being famous and sing love songs to other girls.”

 

Namjoon stepped up, his eyes blazing heatedly as he stared at Quinn pointedly, “Quinn, stop it.”

 

Quinn turned to him, exploding angrily, “Don’t tell me what to do, Kim Namjoon! You’re no better!”

 

Jin-hyung looked around at us, noticing a crowd had gathered on the other end of the street, trying to catch a glimpse of our interactions, “Everyone, we need to get away from here, right now.”

 

At her outburst, Namjoon strode forward, grabbing Quinn’s wrist, “We’re leaving.”

 

She pulled her wrist back, fighting against him for a moment, “What the hell? Let me go!”

 

Namjoon turned, stepping into her personal space, still holding on to her wrist. I had never seen him act so aggressively before, so we all watched in surprise, “Get in the car, Quinn.” He said, steadily.

 

She scoffed, yanking her wrist free and stomping in the direction of the van. Namjoon shook his head, motioning for Karissa to follow her. Karissa obeyed his instructions dejectedly, hopping in the van too. Once we were all inside and headed back towards our dorm, Karissa spoke again.

 

“The guy you hit at the club that night was the son of Seoul University’s President Park,” she said softly, fidgeting with her handkerchief. Jungkook reached over and took her hand gently, pretending to look out of the window nonchalantly. She turned to him in awe for a moment, before she resumed her story, finding strength from Kookie’s grip, “His son threatened Niah a few weeks ago: pay for the damages to his face or risk being expelled when he told his father. She didn’t think it was right for anyone to pay that racist , so during the meeting with the President, she-” Karissa sighed, closing her eyes as she forced out the words, “She told them that she was the one that hit him.”

 

J-Hope gasped from the front seat and I lowered my head in my hands. Jin-hyung patted my back sympathetically.

 

“Don’t forget the best part, Rissa,” Quinn said icily, speaking up for the first time since we had climbed in the car, “She snatched him up in front of the President so that he would get pissed enough to completely forget about you. She made herself a distraction to keep them from looking into you, Suga-ssi.”

 

My head shot up at that, as I stared wide-eyed between Niah’s roommates, “She what?!”

 

“Got right in the guy’s face and threatened to re-enact the fight in the President’s office.”

 

“Niah-noona’s got guts,” Jungkook hummed proudly and we all turned to glare at him. He laughed sheepishly, squeezing Karissa’s hand, “So they kicked her out of school?”

 

“They kicked her off the women’s basketball team and expelled her from the university. Since she was here on a student visa and she’s technically no longer a student, she went back home before that caused even more problems.”

 

The silence in the car was deafening. I was struggling to keep it together, determined not to shatter in front of my friends.

 

“Why… Why didn’t she tell me?” I bit out, my voice barely above a whisper.

 

No one said anything for a moment, until Quinn turned to me directly with a frown, “She didn’t want you to worry or get involved anymore. She wanted to keep your precious Idol hands clean so she took the blame for everything.”

 

“Quinn,” Namjoon warned, and she gave him an angry glare, turning back towards the window as she huffed angrily. Namjoon leaned over to whisper lowly in her ear, and she scooted away from him, making him run his fingers through his hair and sigh in frustration. I turned away from them, breathing slowly and deeply, still trying to keep my emotions in check.

 

Niah had left. She had really gone back to America… all because of me. I was dumbstruck.

 

We made it back to our dorm eventually. Once the car had pulled over, Quinn was the first to climb out, stomping down the sidewalk without another word. Namjoon started to go after her, but Karissa touched his arm, shaking her head, “Namjoon-ah, please give her a break. Niah is basically our sister, so we’re all really upset by this.”

 

Namjoon started to say something as he watched Quinn walk away, but shook his head and nodded, “Can you tell Kookie when you guys make it home?”

 

Karissa agreed, giving me a final glance before she hurried off after Quinn, who stood waiting for her at the intersection. We all filtered into our dorm, no one bothering to say anything to me when I headed straight for my room.

 

I slammed the door shut and slid against it, leaning my head on my knees as I clutched at the necklace Niah had placed around my neck before she left me. She was really gone, and it was all my fault. Tears filled my eyes and streamed freely down my face as I crouched there, huddled against the door for what felt like eternity.

 

Niah’s POV

I was an emotional wreck for the first few weeks, re-adjusting to life in the States while gearing up to go back to school in the Fall. My old basketball team had no problem letting me come back and I was awarded a new scholarship with my old college, so there was no issues at all there. Daddy was happy to have me back home and my baby brother couldn’t have been more pleased. They both tried their best to keep me busy and happy, but whenever I was alone, the numbness hit me and I ended up crying myself to sleep.

 

I had deactivated my Korean cell phone number so none of my friends from Seoul could contact me except Quinn and Karissa, who had my US number. I avoided any and all news about BTS like the plague, going so far as to block even the mere mention of the group on all forms of social media. That didn’t stop me from stalking their Twitter account every now and again, but every time I scrolled past a picture of Yoongi, I’d break down in tears. It was horrible, so after the third week, I forced myself to stop that too.

 

I was on my way to pick up my little brother from school when I got a Facebook message from Karissa with a video link. The video was titled “SHOCKING BTS INTERVIEW!” in all caps, and Kari’s message simply read, “Watch this from beginning to end.”

 

I frowned as I pulled into the middle school parking lot, realizing that I had arrived super early to pick-up my brother from his after school practice. I opened the video on Youtube and let it play, sighing when I saw just how long it was. I knew I shouldn’t do this to myself but Karissa wouldn’t have sent it to me if she didn’t think it was important.

 

The interview began like most interviews with male and female celebrity hosts asking BTS about all types of things, including their upcoming album, current sleeping arrangements, and the like. They discussed their favorite American artists and their favorite brands, all while looking amazingly handsome in the camera. Throughout the first half of the interview, I focused only on Suga, who seemed a bit distant and distracted as he answered his questions. When his hands touched his chest for about the fourth time during the interview, I realized with an audible gasp that he was wearing the necklace I had given him.

 

The female interviewer turned towards Yoongi with a smile, “Suga-ssi, I noticed you’re sporting a new accessory that many fans keep talking about. It seems like you never want to take it off these days! It must be really special; can you tell us about it?”

 

Suga slowly revealed the necklace I had given him from underneath his shirt, holding it out so the camera could see it, “I never take it off. It’s incredibly important to me,” he said, smiling ruefully. I inhaled deeply through my nose, mentally scolding myself for going through with this torture. Still, I watched on.

 

“Ooohh, was it a gift?” The male host questioned, clapping his hands in delight, “From someone special, right?”

 

“Ah, Suga-ssi is that a present from a girlfriend?” The hostess asked, and the two hosts laughed together at their own joke.

 

Suga nodded immediately, causing every head in the room to swivel in his direction, “My girlfriend gave it to me.”

 

The hosts jaws dropped and even I gasped, covering my mouth in surprise. Min Yoongi just admitted to the world that we were together on national TV?! The entire studio seemed to stare at Suga in stunned silence, even as the camera zoomed in on him. Suddenly, he stood up from his chair, walking boldly over to the middle of the stage, and bowing deeply before everyone.

 

Tears were welling up in my eyes, as the camera followed him, “I am sorry!” He stated formally, and in an instant, all of BTS was standing up, bowing formally in a line beside him.

 

“We’re sorry!” The group said in unison, and the two hosts looked like they were going to faint from the shock. They rushed over to the group, telling them all to stand up straight and rushing to get them back to their seats. When Namjoon finally stood, the rest of the group straightened up, each one going back to their chair. When Suga took his seat again, Namjoon patted his back reassuringly.

 

“What are you all apologizing for?” The hostess asked curiously, placing her notecards down on the table. Apparently, the guys had gone completely off script.

 

“I want to say sorry to ARMY, to my family and to my dear friends,” Suga said seriously, as he named all the people he wanted to apologize to, “I’m sorry that I can’t introduce you all to my girlfriend properly right now. She’s very far away, so I can’t bring her to meet you all just yet.”

 

Namjoon nodded, supplementing Suga’s words, “The rest of us want to apologize to ARMY, to our family, and to our friends as well. The truth is, we’re all going to date and fall in love at some point, and we don’t want to be ashamed or afraid to admit it. Suga-hyung is the first of us to actually do it, but it’s my hope that we all can find our special someone.”

 

The two hosts nodded seriously, understanding the struggles of trying to find love as a known celebrity. They turned back towards Suga, curiosity clear on their faces.

 

“You said your girlfriend is far away?” The hostess prodded, and Yoongi nodded, sighing sadly.

 

“Because I’m an idiot, she took responsibility for me and got in a lot of trouble. Out of everyone, she’s the one whom I want to apologize to the most.”

 

The host nodded, and motioned towards the camera, “If she was on the other side of that camera right now, what would you said to her?”

 

Yoongi stood up and walked determinedly towards the camera. He got really close to it and looked directly into the lense -- directly at me. I held my breath, feeling a stray tear wander down my cheek, waiting.

 

“I’m sorry I wasn’t there when you needed me most,” his voice sounded raw, like he was just seconds away from breaking entirely, “I’m sorry I wasn’t paying attention. Thank you for loving me so much.” He released a steadying breath, continuing to look directly into the camera and I started to cry in earnest, “I miss you every day.” He gave a watery smile and I could barely see the screen anymore, my vision blurry from my tears, “Saranghae, jagiya.”

 

The entire studio erupted into applause as Yoongi flushed in embarrassment, ducking his head when he went back to his seat. Namjoon clapped him on the back and I shut the video off, unable to watch anymore.

 

The flood of emotions was just too much for me, and I sobbed hard, gasping from the conflicting emotions of love and pain that I felt in my heart. I was still crying when my baby brother, Niall, knocked on the passenger side window frantically, worry clearly etched on his face.

 

“NeeNee, what’s wrong?!” He cried, throwing the door open and tossing his backpack on the back seat, before giving me a crushing hug. I sobbed on my little brother’s shoulder, upset that he had to see me like this. He patted my back and made soothing sounds, telling me that everything was going to be okay. When I finally calmed down, he called my Daddy and put him on speakerphone.

 

“Dad, she’s crying again.” He told my father, and I tried to snatch the phone away from him, but he leaned away, shaking his head.

 

“Niah, baby girl, everything’s going to be alright.”

 

“Daddy, I’m fine,” I sniffed, wiping my tears away.

 

My little brother frowned, “Dad, she’s lying. She was crying for like ten minutes! I don’t know if she can drive right now.”

 

“Hey! I can drive!” I cried, indignantly.

 

“Angel, are you sure?” Daddy asked, and my baby brother stuck his tongue out at me.

 

“Dad, Niall and I will get home in one piece, I promise.” I glared at Niall, holding up my fist. He laughed.

 

Daddy agreed, telling us that he loved us both and then hanging up the phone. I stayed true to my promise, getting my brother and I home without incident. My Dad stuffed me full of my favorite foods for dinner and gave me ice cream for dessert. When we had cleared all the dishes away, he gave me a glass of sweet tea and called me to join him out on the back porch.

 

“Karissa sent me a video today of that boy. The famous one you were dating over there,” he said gently, looking out over the backyard. I stiffened awkwardly, turning to look at my Dad in surprise.

 

“She sent me the subbed version, so that I knew what he was saying,” Dad told me with an amused smile. He set his tea down and turned to me fully, taking my hands in his, “Baby girl, I won’t pretend to know everything about love. Hell, if I did, maybe your Mom wouldn’t have-”

 

“Daddy, that’s not your fault,” I said gently, interrupting him for the millionth time.

 

He nodded sadly, and continued with his speech, “What I’m saying is, you two definitely love each other. He just announced to the world how much he adores you. That’s a good man, in my book. A damn brave one, at that.”

 

I smiled proudly to hear my Dad speak so highly Yoongi, “I think so too.”

 

“Then you should have told him you were leaving, crazy girl!” Dad said, fussing at me.

 

I giggled and nodded, “I should have told him.”

 

“And you should go back there. To Seoul.” I opened my mouth to protest, but Daddy shook his head, refusing to hear anything more, “Darling, you’ve been miserable since you stepped off the plane. Don’t try to fool me; I know better. I’m not saying you have to go right this second, but there are other ways to get into the country. Seoul University is not the only college with a women’s basketball team, is it?”

 

I nodded, realizing with awe that everything my Dad was saying was absolutely true. I didn’t have to stay away forever; I could go back to my best friends… I could go back to Yoongi.

 

I bit my lip, determined not to cry for the second time that day, “Thank you, Daddy. Thank you so much.” I told him leaning over my chair to give him the biggest hug in the world.

 

“Anytime, baby girl.”

 

End Chapter 13