Granulated

Suga in My Coffee

The coffee shop was absolutely dead today. I glanced around the practically empty lobby, willing more people to walk through the door. There were a mere two customers in total and both of them had ordered their drinks nearly an hour ago. My (temporary) manager was bustling around as she normally did, completely oblivious to the obvious lack of customers we had.

 

A deep sigh of boredom escaped my lips before I could think to stop it. My manager eyed me critically and I stiffened my position immediately, grabbing a rag and attempting to make myself look busy. The older Korean woman eyed me sharply, before releasing a breath of resignation through her nostrils. She leaned back against the counter where I stood, while procuring a folded up note from her apron pocket. She held it up between two fingers, glancing at me warily.

 

“Niah-ssi. I don’t normally allow newcomers to take on such important responsibilities, but since you came here to cover Hye-Ri-sshi’s shifts for the time being, I suppose I can also allow you to make her deliveries.”

 

I perked up at that and I could tell my manager was trying not to smile at me.

 

“Deliveries? You make coffee deliveries here?”

 

“Only by very special request.” My manager winked at me as she handed over the slip of paper.

 

My mind scrambled to translate the words from Korean to English. I had been in South Korea for nearly a year so my ability to read and write in Korean was limited. Still, I was able to get the jist of the characters in front of me. “Follow these directions exactly as they say, Niah-ssi. Don’t get lost and don’t take too long.”

 

I nodded, taking the slip of paper and sliding it securely into my apron pocket. The manager and I worked together to make a big batch of coffee, along with a few special orders in different colored cups. Soon, I was all loaded up and ready to go.

 

“Be careful, all right?”

 

“You got it!” I replied back cheerfully, scurrying of out of the door.

 

As I walked around with a box full of various coffees, I wondered how Hye-Ri managed to do this while she was pregnant.

 

I reached my destination in 20 minutes, a surprising feat for my very first delivery. I took a breath as I headed towards the building, trying not to worry while knowing I stuck out like a sore thumb. I walked straight to the security desk, where the guards there were already staring at me.

 

“Do you need something?” One of the guards asked me rudely, and I completely ignored him, handing the tiny note to his partner instead.

 

Two can play that game, .

 

“I’m from Mango Mocha around the corner. Hye-Ri-noona is out on maternity leave, so my manager sent me to deliver the drinks instead.”

 

Both men stared at me wide-eyed as if they didn’t expect me to understand, let alone speak Korean. That used to annoy the hell out of me but with time, I got over it. When neither of them spoke, I tried again, reaching into my pocket for my cell phone, “If you want, you can call my manager to confirm my story.”

 

The guard that I initially spoke to finally picked his jaw up off the floor, shaking his head adamantly, “I believe you. Your apron and coffee tell me all I need to know anyway.”

 

I bowed my head, giving them both a smile, “Thank you very much!” I scurried off down the hall before they changed their minds.

 

Hye-Ri’s instructions told me to deliver the large container of coffee to what could only be an employee break room or a kitchen. There was a man and a woman sitting at a table when I walked in, murmuring amongst themselves. Neither of them said anything to me and I was perfectly okay with that.

 

I placed the canister in an easily accessible place, setting up a station of sorts. After I had arranged it all, I headed back out into the hall to deliver the individual cups. Hye-Ri’s notes said that the individual coffees belonged to “the members” while the last one went to a makeup artist who’s name I could not pronounce.

 

I quickly walked down the hall, trying to fight the rising panic. Who the hell were “the members”? What did that even mean?

 

I peeked into the window of a room that looked like a music studio, noticing a brown haired young man sitting in the room with headphones on. From my position at the window, I could see his fashionable haircut and amazingly clear skin. The headphones he wore looked professional and expensive.

 

I knocked at the door, knowing he wouldn’t hear me anyway. After knocking one more time, I walked right on in. If he wanted me out, I could always apologize for it later.

 

The guy turned at my appearance, pushing his headphones down and turning in his chair to face me fully. I noticed his eyes right away and the look on his face -- a mixture of confusion and exhaustion; the kind one has when they have worked themselves to the bone.

 

I was hit by a weird feeling in my chest, understanding his weariness. I worked hard too, in my own way. I tried not to stare at him too long, but I could tell he was starting to get a bit impatient with me.

 

“Excuse me,” I began, holding out the coffees in front of me, “I’m from Mango Mocha and I’m here to make a delivery.”

 

He eyed me warily, standing up from his chair and heading over to me. I was pleasantly surprised for once -- he didn’t stare in awe from me speaking in Korean. I held my breath in anticipation, though I’m not sure why.

 

“What happened to Hye-Ri-noona?” He asked lowly, and I almost didn’t answer him; that’s how surprised I was by his voice. His tone held such depth and it was wonderfully pleasant to my ears. While I stood still, he reached towards the drink carrier I had and grabbed a green cup, with the word “Suga” written across the label.

 

None of this made sense in the least. A person’s voice was just that, so I shouldn’t have been surprised by it, but I totally was.

 

“S-she had a baby.”

 

“A boy? Or a girl?”

 

“A boy.”

 

He made a sound to confirm he had heard me, and turned back towards the computer in front of him.

 

“Um, if you don’t mind… Do you happen to know who the rest of these belong to? I need to deliver them before they get cold.”

 

The guy in front of me had the nerve to sigh at me in annoyance, as if I was interrupting him from doing something important. Internally, I rolled my eyes, but externally I just stared at him and waited for an answer.

 

“Down the hall, to the right.”

 

I nodded curtly, bowed, and mumbled a thank you to him. I hurried out of the studio before he could say anything else to me.

 

Suga’s Point Of View

 

I stared after that foreign barista for a good while, sipping the still warm drink she had just delivered to me. The first and only thought in my mind when she stepped into the room was how beautiful she was. Beautiful brown skin. Beautiful braids that stopped at her back, with gold jewelry scattered throughout. Beautiful eyes that were so dark, they almost looked black. I had never seen a girl with such a striking appearance at our company before.

 

Who was she and why the hell was she here?

 

I almost considered following her to make sure she made it to the practice room safely, but told myself that I was caring too much about a coffee delivery. She wouldn’t get lost between the two rooms -- it was an easy path.

 

...On second thought…

 

I stood up from my chair and followed the girl down the hall towards the practice room. I could hear male voices speaking excitedly and a sheepish female laugh. She had made it to the others.

 

I walked right into the practice room to hear her replying to my fellow bandmates. Namjoon waved his hand in greeting to me, and Jungkook ran over, grabbing my arm excitedly. I frowned at him, holding out my free arm, which was currently holding my coffee.

 

“Hyung! This coffee-noona is from the States! Her Korean is pretty good, isn’t it?”

 

“What happened to Hye-Ri-ssi?” Jin-hyung asked, and the girl smiled at him while placing two cups on a table at the front of our mirrored practice room.

 

“She had a baby. I’m just covering for her while she’s on maternity leave.”

 

A chorus of ahhhs filled the room and I fought the urge to roll my eyes.

 

“Suga-hyung, this coffee-noona told us that you showed her how to find us,” Jimin winked at me in a teasing manner and I felt my frown deepen.

 

I should have just stayed in my studio.

 

“Suga? Oh! It’s a name! Ok, so then... Jin-ssi? Jin-ssi, here is your beverage.” The barista smiled again, indicating the cup of coffee as if she were showcasing a game show prize. The guys chuckled and I felt the corner of my mouth turn up at her antics.

 

“Thank you.” Jin-hyung walked over to the table and accepted the cup gratefully.

 

“Oh hey, this one’s in English: ‘Rap Monster’? I have your drink as well.” Namjoon stood up from his position on the floor and accepted the cup graciously from the girl.

 

“Coffee-noona, what’s your name?” Taehyung asked, smiling at her with his usual goofy grin.

 

“And how old are you?” Jungkook added, leaning against V.

 

“Ah, I’m Niah. I’m not sure how long I’ll be here, but I’ll try to do this job as well as I can. I’m 22, so am I really your noona?”

 

Niah.

 

Ni-ah.

 

I repeated her name in my mind for a moment, committing it to memory. I liked that name. It was simple and it suited her.

 

“Ah, you are! You’re the same age as Namjoon-hyung-” Taehyung grinned as he pointed at Namjoon.

 

“And younger than me.” I mumbled, and to my surprise, Niah's gaze fell on me. Her focus shifted and swept over our group once again. I could see the wheels turning in her brain.

 

“Suga… Rap Monster… Jin… A-Are you…? Holy crap! You’re V, right?? And Jimin and something with a ‘Koo’, ummmm-”

 

“My name is Jungkook, noona.” Kookie grinned in amusement as Niah’s eyes grew wider.

 

Oh my God!” Niah cried, in English. She covered , looking extremely flustered, “You’re BTS, right?! THE BTS? Oh man, my roommate is going to die!”

 

End Chapter 1