008 - Trouble in Paradise? Part 1

Infinite Adventures

Word Count: 5011 words!! IT'S SUNGGYU'S BIRTHDAY TODAY (04/28)!! Happy Birthday, Jiji!


 

"." Sunggyu hissed under his breath and gulped hard at the sight of the woman in his room.

 

"Lady please, the King does not approve of anyone entering his private quarters." Sungyeol reprimanded the still wandering Lady in the King's room.

 

"I am not anyone, aren't I? I'm the King's fiancé." The Lady smirked at Sungyeol.

 

'She still hasn't seen Hyunmi?' Sunggyu looked at the sleeping sorcerer beside her and realized it was probably because they are sleeping on their sides. Hyunmi was against the wall while Sunggyu's back was the one visible to Sungyeol and the Lady.

 

Sungyeol looked at Sunggyu and gave him a stern gaze.

 

"Lady, a woman should never enter a man's room ever. Haven't heard of this rule?" Sunggyu spoke, hiding Hyunmi more by pulling her closer. "I do not condone such acts in my castle. I want my privacy and I want it. Now." Sunggyu's voice dropped a tone.

 

"I'm not just a woman, I'm your fiancé." The Lady stubbornly said, moving closer to the bed.

 

"I have not agreed to that. This has gone on for so long and I have been patient to your whims. Meet me at the meeting room in an hour. We'll talk about this behavior of yours, Lady Soyou." Sunggyu spoke with finality in his tone that sent everyone in the room a chill in their spine. "Sungyeol, her to the room and ask the knights to not let anyone - and I mean anyone step foot inside my private wing. Understood?"

 

"Very well, Your Highness. I am sorry for the disturbance." Sungyeol bowed before leaving the room, dragging a very shocked Soyou outside the room.

 

Sunggyu sighed once she heard the door close and rubbed his head to rid of the incoming headache.

 

"And it's just early in the morning." He groaned, waking the sleeping sorcerer beside him.

 

He watched as Hyunmi slowly opened her eyes, scrunched her nose and muffled a yawn with her hand. He watched as Hyunmi fisted her hand on his shirt and as she lifted her eyes to meet his.

 

'You don't even have the slightest idea of what just happened a while ago.' He chuckled.

 

Hyunmi pouted at Sunggyu and wiped . "Do I have drool on me?"

 

"No, but you do have something in your eyes." Sunggyu said leaning forward.

 

Hyunmi gasped and reached for eyes. "Morning glory? Oh god so embarrassing-" Hyunmi looked at Sunggyu when he chuckled again and hit him on his chest.

 

"Nope." Sunggyu chuckled again, leaning closer until their noses touched. "I see me in your eyes." Said Sunggyu with a smirk.

 

Hyunmi sputtered at that and pushed his face away. "What are you saying? Mwohhhh!!" Hyunmi whined and buried her face on the King's chest.

 

Sunggyu laughed heartily as he pulled Hyunmi to rest on top of him. "So cute."

 

Hyunmi flushed even redder at the comment and pinched Sunggyu's sides. "Stop teasing me!"

 

"Ow ow ow! Fine fine! Stop pinching me! Ow!" Sunggyu held Hyunmi's arms away and pushed her back on the bed.

 

 

 

 

"Jesus! Isn't it too early for that? Hello? Lock the door if you're doing that early in the morning please?" Sungjong rolled his eyes as he entered the room, looking at the two shocked people on the bed with bored eyes.

 

Sunggyu coughed to cover up the awkwardness and pushed himself to stand up from the bed, pulling the confused Hyunmi with him.

 

"Doing what early in the morning?" Hyunmi looked at the two of them, tilting her head because she didn't get what Sungjong was trying to say.

 

Sunggyu covered her ears before ratting Sungjong with a colorful language unbefitting for a King.

 

"Oh wow that's some language you got there my King. Care to explain where you learned them?" Sungyeol entered the room with a dark face and an evil smirk, slapping a rolled newspaper on his palm. "It's early in the morning and you're giving me a headache worth one week. I'm not letting you off easy Your Highness." Sungyeol cackled evilly and dragged Sunggyu to his bathroom, yelling orders and chastising the King for his behavior.

 

"So, what are you doing here Sungjong?" Sunggyu asked after he was done with his shower, Sungyeol hot on his tail and barking orders to move faster.

 

"The new shipment is coming in and I want Hyunmi to come with me. It's fine right? She hasn't come out of the castle that much." Sungjong replied.

 

"She just went outside with Woohyun yesterday." Sunggyu huffed, not fond of the idea of Hyunmi going out of the castle.

 

"They went to the Cathedral and went straight back here. Your Highness, a girl needs to explore new places and experience new things!" Sungjong opened his arms wide and spun around the room.

 

Sunggyu groaned when his fingers missed the button again and was close to killing the yapping Sungyeol behind him when Hyunmi took his hand off his shirt and did the buttons carefully.

 

"Fine you can go. But only to the port and back to the castle. You also have to bring Dongwoo with you. And nope no more discussion." Sunggyu glared at Sungjong when he made a move to disagree.

 

Sungjong raised his hands in defeat and muttered under his breath. "Overprotective hamster."

 

"What was that Sungjong?"

 

"Nothing Your Highness." Sungjong faked a smile and sashayed away from the room. "Hyunmi I'll meet you at the library in 30! Dress nice!"

 

Hyunmi hummed at Sungjong, smiling when she was done with the buttons, smoothing down the front, she looked at Sunggyu and smiled sadly.

 

"We won't be having breakfast together today, aren't we?"

 

Sunggyu frowned at himself when he remembered that he promised Hyunmi last night that one. He sighed as he rubbed his face in distress and pulled Hyunmi by her neck, planting a soft but firm kiss on her forehead.

 

"I'm sorry. I'll make it up somehow okay?" Sunggyu turned around and took the robe from Sungyeol's hand. "But not today. Have fun with Sungjong okay? I'll see you at lun-" Sunggyu looked at his advisor and saw him shaking his head. "I'll see you later." He took Hyunmi's hand and caressed it before leaving the room with Sungyeol.

 

Hyunmi can't help but feel sad watching Sunggyu's back leaving her all alone.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

"Hyunmi do you want to go to the market?" Sungjong looked at the sorcerer who was busy admiring the number of crates containing his new books.

 

"But Sunggyu said we have to go back immediately." Hyunmi looked up from her position and tilted her head.

 

"Don't worry about him. What he doesn't know won't hurt him." Sungjong smirked and pulled Hyunmi along. “Take these crates back to the castle. Handle it with care! If I see one dent on my books, you know what happens.” He ordered to the servants he took with them and smiled evilly. Oh you adorable little devil.

 

"You do know I'll be the one in trouble if you do this right?" Dongwoo sighed, following the two with his hands at the back of head.

 

"IF you tell him. Now shut it and let's go." Sungjong glared at Dongwoo but Dongwoo just snorted at him and pinched his cheeks.

 

“You’re too cute to look scary but for Hyunmi okay I won’t tell the King.” Dongwoo turned to Hyunmi and grinned at her. “Besides I wanted to buy fruits, it’s the first harvest for this season!” Dongwoo jumped up and down.

 

 

 

 

 

"This is the market." Sungjong opened his arms when they reached the market entrance and Hyunmi gaped at the enormous place.

 

One mark of a thriving and a successful kingdom is their market and boy do they have a large one! Hyunmi can’t help but be amazed at the endless rows of stalls manned by Landers and her respect and admiration for Sunggyu just went through the roof.

 

‘He’s really amazing.’ Hyunmi suddenly wanted to hug Sunggyu and tell him how hard he had worked. She told herself she would later.

 

Hyunmi eyed the Landers as they greet Sungjong and Dongwoo with smile on their faces, some even giving them free fruits and vegetables. She smiled because it showed how the Landers respect the council and how the council and King treats their people.

 

‘They are all amazing.’ Hyunmi suddenly frowned and felt out of place. ‘Do I deserve to be with these amazing people?’ Hyunmi looked at Sungjong and Dongwoo talking with smile on their faces and looked down at her feet. ‘It’s better if I back off now and go back to the castle.’ She took a step back slowly when Dongwoo turned to her and waved his hand.

 

"It still makes me wonder why fruits taste like real ones." Dongwoo hummed as he bit on the fresh apple he got from one of the Landers, approaching Hyunmi who looked like she had seen a ghost.

 

"Before Hyunmi arrived, all we've been eating are soggy cardboard tasting food." Sungjong pouted as he recalled those distant memories.

 

"Yeah! We can make food from the ingredients in our items list but still it doesn't taste real." Dongwoo shuddered when he remembered that one time he made a burger and although it looks appetizing, it tasted like wet tissues!!

 

"Good thing the King had found you, we can always eat good food every time." Sungjong snuggled on Hyunmi's arms when they reached her and smiled. He frowned when he saw Hyunmi’s sullen face. “Hyunmi are you alright? Is something wrong?”

 

Hyunmi looked at the concerned faces of the monk and cleric and sheepishly smiled.

 

‘I-I’m being a burden again, aren’t I? They’re having fun just a while ago but you have to ruin it Hyunmi.’ Hyunmi bit back a choke and shook her head to the two.

 

“I-i… you look close with the people.” She tried to change the topic.

 

Dongwoo kept quiet as he watched Hyunmi avoid meeting their gazes.

 

‘What is bothering you Hyunmi?’ Dongwoo wondered.

 

“Oh! It’s because we always make sure to make small talks whenever we visit the market. The King also do it from time to time when he comes for inspection.” Sungjong supplied, pulling Hyunmi forward.

 

“He’s a great person, isn’t he?” Hyunmi whispered, looking at Sungjong who abruptly stopped walking and gave her the biggest smile she had seen.

 

“He’s not great…” Sungjong chuckled. “He’s the greatestttt person in the world!” Sungjong giggled, his eyes reflecting his admiration for the King, nodding his head cutely.

 

Hyunmi overcame her shock at Sungjong’s outburst and giggled at his cute behavior. “Sure he is.” Hyunmi said genuinely, nodding her head too.

 

“There! Now you are smiling too!” Dongwoo clapped his hand and smacked Sungjong’s back. “Good job maknae!”

 

Sungjong growled and pushed Dongwoo’s hands off. “Stop calling me maknae! The Prince is younger than me, he should be the maknae.” Sungjong stomped his feet.

 

“Nuh uh uh.” Dongwoo wiggles his finger. “Age-wise yes, the Prince is younger, but in the council hierarchy you are the youngest since Prince is second in command.”

 

“I thought Woohyun is second in command?” Hyunmi jutted her lips out.

 

“They share the position. Myungsoo’s too young to be given that much power.” Dongwoo answered. “So maknae-ah.” Dongwoo turned to Sungjong with teasing smile.

 

“Ugh, so annoying!” Sungjong pouted and stomped away from the two.

 

Hyunmi and Dongwoo giggled at each other, finding the cleric’s actions too cute.

 

 

 

"So, what fruit does Sunggyu likes best?" Hyunmi whispered as they walk along the market streets.

 

"He'll eat anything.” Dongwoo chuckled. “But he likes strawberry the best.”

 

Hyunmi hummed and went to find the reddest strawberry she can find.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

"Your snack and tea, Your Highness." Sungyeol said and placed down a tray with a bowl of strawberries and cream and a pot of earl grey tea.

 

"Thank you. Where's Hyunmi?"

 

"At the library, with Sungjong. They arrived 30 minutes ago."

 

Sunggyu hummed and returned to his documents soon after but his eyes caught sight of a note under the plate of strawberries.

 

‘I can’t find strawberries redder than your hair, sorry.’

 

Sunggyu chuckled at the note, amused at Hyunmi’s humor.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Sunggyu went back to his room later than normal that night, frowning at the sight of Hyunmi sitting on the floor with her back on the bedside, with a book on her lap.

 

The meeting with Soyou had gone longer than he had imagined, the Lady was very persistent on pushing the fiancé thing, using their alliance to push him in a corner. When he made an ultimatum to break off the alliance, Soyou's parents appeared and apologized for her actions and informed him that they weren't aware of Soyou's doings and they would make up for the problems she had given him.

 

Then Sungyeol proceeded to lock him in the study hall to meet with other kingdom’s nobilities and other adventurers who wanted to see him. The only break he had that day was when he ate his snack late in the afternoon.

 

Not only that, Sungyeol made sure to make him read all the backlogs they had since his travel and made him sign a lot of legal documents. He also made sure to level up his sparring training with Woohyun and then went on to throw him in a nearby cave to train once more. All this with his mouth strapped to serve as a lesson not to use profanity ever again. And boy did it hurt, he's pretty sure the marks are still on his cheeks.

 

He felt guilty for leaving Hyunmi alone again but what can he do. The kingdom needs him and his kingdom is his priority - always. Sunggyu thought once again if it was right to have taken Hyunmi from the forest, he wasn't obviously doing a good job of taking care of her but he doesn't hear Hyunmi complain even one bit which made him feel a lot guiltier.

 

Sunggyu lifted Hyunmi to the bed and winced when she opened her eyes.

 

"Oh you're back Sunggyu." Hyunmi said with a sleepy smile, rubbing her eyes. "Welcome back."

 

Sunggyu smiled at her cute action and patted her head.

 

"You can go back to sleep, I'll just wash up." Sunggyu pushed her back to the bed and covered her with the blanket. Hyunmi looked at him with sleepy eyes before reaching out to touch his face.

 

"Your cheeks look really red, are you okay?" Hyunmi said, some words slurred for she's already drifting back to sleep.

 

"It's fine. Go sleep." Sunggyu caressed her cheeks one more time before going to the bathroom.

 

 

 

 

Kissing Hyunmi good night, Sunggyu pulled Hyunmi to his embrace and closed his eyes, ready to sleep, only to open his eyes again and looked at the sorcerer on his chest with wide eyes and wide smile. His heart suddenly feeling a lot lighter than before.

 

"I hope it doesn't hurt tomorrow." Hyunmi murmured before kissing Sunggyu's red cheeks and moving back on Sunggyu's chest, falling asleep soon after.

 

"I'm sure it won't." Sunggyu kissed Hyunmi's head once more and drifted off to sleep.

 

'It was right to take her with me afterall.'

 

 

 

 

 

3 days later…

 

"Hyunmi! I swear! The King will kill me if he finds out about this!" Sungjong hissed and pulled the sorcerer back.

 

"But you said what he doesn't know won't hurt him and he wouldn't know if you don't tell." Hyunmi pouted and pried Sungjong's hands, lifting her body up on the window.

 

"I regret taking you to the market!" Sungjong huffed.

 

Hyunmi just grinned at Sungjong and jumped, landing on the awaiting Hoya's arms downstairs.

 

"I don't know how you manage to rope me in this." Hoya narrowed his eyes at Hyunmi as he let her down.

 

Hyunmi just gave Hoya a thumbs up and a smile before sneaking around to get out of the castle's vicinity.

 

Sungjong can just sigh as he watch both Hyunmi and Hoya sneak out, knowing full well he’ll be in deep trouble if the King finds out.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

A week later...

 

 

"Hyung, don't tell me you still haven't noticed Hyunmi's weird behavior until now." Woohyun raised an eyebrow when Sunggyu turned to look at him with a 'what-are-you-talking-about' face.

 

"Heol. You're that busy?" Woohyun faked gasp.

 

"Woohyun I'm in no mood for games. Spill it."

 

"Nah. It won't be fun if I do that." Woohyun playfully smiled. "I'd ask Hyunmi what it is but I don't know where she is." Woohyun said as he whistled and roamed his eyes on the ceiling, smirking in satisfaction when he heard the chair creak.

 

"Sungyeol, I'll be taking a break." Sunggyu said, already making his way to the door.

 

"Very well Your Highness." Sungyeol bowed after his King then glared at the still whistling knight. "You little !"

 

"Ohoh! Aren't we being a little too hypocritical about not spouting any profanities?" Woohyun snorted.

 

"You deserved that. You know very well how concerned the King is for Hyunmi." Sungyeol groaned.

 

"He's too busy to be concerned. He hasn't even noticed Hyunmi has been sneaking out the castle for almost a week now." Woohyun's voice turned serious.

 

"And you didn't stop her when you knew?" Sungyeol looked at him, exasperated.

 

"The girl is too wary of Sunggyu's duties, she knows how the King treats her so she won't tell him in fear of taking him away from his work." Woohyun stood up and picked up some documents. "The King needs to know how much Hyunmi cares for her." Woohyun sighed as he waved the folder.

 

"I'm taking this. Tell the King I'll be in charge of the merchants for now. He needs more time to take care of Hyunmi."

 

Sungyeol looked startled at Woohyun's offer and can only sigh in defeat because he knows Woohyun is fully capable of doing that even with his eyes closed.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

"My King!" Sungjong shot up from his chair, looking incredibly nervous at the King's presence. "What brings you here?"

 

Sunggyu frowned at Sungjong's nervousness and roamed his eyes around the library, taking note of how Sungjong tensed even more.

 

"I'm free to go wherever I want Sungjong-ah." Sunggyu said, almost laughing at the nervous smile Sungjong gave him.

 

"Yes of course."

 

"So, where's Hyunmi?" Sunggyu went straight to the point.

 

"That..." Sungjong averted his gaze and bit his lip. That action told Sunggyu he won't like whatever answer Sungjong will give him.

 

 

 

 

 

 

                                   

The carriage stopped in front of an isolated small farm located almost at the end of the kingdom's land. He looked at his right hand man and received an affirmative nod. With a sigh, Sunggyu went down the carriage and narrowed his eyes at the underdeveloped land in front of him.

 

‘I wasn’t aware we still had areas in this state.’ Sunggyu thought as his eyes roamed the space.

 

He heard a gasp from his side and turned, facing an elderly woman heaving a small basket full of vegetables. She immediately set it to ground and hastily bowed.

 

"Your Highness." The grandmother bowed in half and stayed still until Sunggyu dismissed her.

 

"Stand." Sunggyu said and walked in front of her, smiling kindly.

 

"I'm honored to receive a visit from the King himself but what-" The elderly looked behind her when someone called her name and apologized immediately to the King.

 

 

"Obaa-chan!! I'm done picking up the carrots and turnips! You're unfair! I dug like ¾ of them!" Hyunmi ran in front of the grandmother and beamed a bright smile, setting down the basket of crops. "It's big and fresh! I did good right?"

 

"Hyunmi behave! The King is in front of us! Greet him and don't show him your back!" The grandmother softly hissed.

 

Hyunmi turned around with a gasp, surprised at the mention of the King’s presence, clutching her shirt timidly, nervous as hell.

 

‘I’ve been found out!!’ Hyunmi bit her lip and avoided Sunggyu’s eyes.

 

Sunggyu sighed at the sight and grimaced. Hyunmi was dirty from head to toe, her face smeared with soil and her hands dirty with mud.

 

 

The grandmother gulped in nervousness when she saw the King's actions and slapped Hyunmi at the back.

 

"You little- Go back to the hut and wash yourself! How can you show yourself to the King dirty and all?" The grandmother kept hitting Hyunmi again and again.

 

"Baa-channnn that hurts!!" Hyunmi pouted and tried to avoid her hits.

 

With another sigh, Sunggyu called Hyunmi to come in front of him. "Hyunmi come here."

 

Hyunmi pointed to herself and mouthed 'Me?' and when Sunggyu nodded, she stepped forward and stood in front of him. The grandmother can only look confused.

 

"You ran off from the castle and went here, if I hadn't visited the library to find you I would've never known. Why didn't you tell me?" Sunggyu wiped Hyunmi's face with a wet towel while trying to lecture her.

 

"C-cold." Hyunmi shifted away from Sunggyu but he held her face back to position and rubbed her face until clean. "I told Sungjong to keep it a secret. I'm never trusting him again." Hyunmi whispered then pouted when Sunggyu glared at her. "Not telling, you'll lecture me.” She shied away from his hands. “Sunggyu it's cold, I don't want anymoreeee." Hyunmi whined and shook her head vigorously.

 

The grandmother gasped at Hyunmi's action and went beside to pinch her on her waist.

 

"Baa-chann!!! Ow ow ow!!" Hyunmi swatted her hands and ran behind Sunggyu, gripping his robe while rubbing her sore waist.

 

The grandmother gasped once again and made a move to hit Hyunmi. "You're dirtying the King's clothes Hyunmi! Come here and stop that! Apologize to the King!" The grandmother pulled Hyunmi from the King but said girl was resisting. "I'm so sorry your Highness-"

 

"It's fine." Sunggyu took Hyunmi's hands and held it. "I'll be taking her with me for now, is that fine?" Sunggyu smiled gently at the grandmother and pointed to the sorcerer behind her.

 

The grandmother was baffled at this but didn’t dare go against him. She nodded her head and bowed.

 

"But I don't want to go back yet!" Hyunmi gasped when Sunggyu walked towards the carriage.

 

"Hyunmi don't be difficult." Sunggyu sighed and seeing his tired face, she relented. Hyunmi pouted and let herself be dragged.

 

"Baa-chan!!! I'll be back tomorrow okay? I promise! Waa-" Hyunmi almost tripped but Sunggyu caught her before she fell, wrapping an arm around her waist and steadying her. Hyunmi thanked Sunggyu before looking back at the grandmother, waving goodbye again.

 

 

 

"Still not telling?" Sunggyu asked when the carriage starts moving, pulling out another wet towel to wipe Hyunmi clean. Hyunmi just looked at him then looked outside with a pout. With a sigh, Sunggyu patted the seat beside him, "Come here."

 

Hyunmi sat beside Sunggyu and leaned her head on his shoulder. "Are you mad?" She asked, grimacing when Sunggyu wiped her face again. “It’s cold.”

 

"For what?" Sunggyu returned the question. “Don’t move, you’re dirty from head to toe.”

 

"..." Hyunmi bit her lip, already aware of Sunggyu's disappointment by his tone.

 

"For going out without telling me or for going outside without Hoya or Dongwoo? Or maybe both? How long have you been doing this? Without my knowledge hmm?" Sunggyu said all of this with a hard voice making Hyunmi whimper. She wrapped her hands around Sunggyu's waist and buried her face on his shoulder.

 

"I'm sorry."

 

Sunggyu sighed at the dejected sorcerer and patted her head.

 

“Just tell me then what you were doing there.”

 

Hyunmi bit her lip and sighed.

 

"I was exploring the market with Dongwoo and Sungjong when I saw that every stall had customers but Obaa-chan's stall hasn't sold anything at all. When I went there I saw her crops small and dry and that's when I found out that she doesn't know farming at all so I offered to teach her so she can farm good products."

 

Sunggyu raised an eyebrow at this. “Didn’t I order Sungjong to take you back right after taking in the shipments?”

 

‘Oops-‘ Hyunmi smiled sheepishly at Sunggyu which he returned with a soft glare.

 

“And you didn’t tell me any of this because?”

 

"You were too busy and I don't want to bother you more so I told Sungjong not to tell you. Hoya and Dongwoo also comes with me every time, they also help in digging out the crops. They were in the hut a while ago."

 

“They’re going to get an earful when they get back.” Sunggyu huffed, pushing Hyunmi’s forehead when she protested. “And you little miss troublemaker are not to go out the castle’s premises for the meantime at all.”

 

Hyunmi pouted but nodded nevertheless, burying her face back in Sunggyu’s shoulder.

 

“I’m sorry again.”

 

“Just don’t do it again, okay?” Sunggyu said. “You made me worried when I didn’t find you back there in the library.”

 

“Okay.” Hyunmi replied softly, clutching Sunggyu’s waist a little tighter. “Sorry.”

 

‘Guess I’m breaking my promise to Obaa-chan.’ Hyunmi thought sadly.

 

 

 

Hyunmi peeked through the training grounds and tried to spot the people she was looking for. It’s been a few days since the last incident, where she sneaked out the castle, and she had been pretty much house arrested, not that Hyunmi complained because she was still guilty that she went out without Sunggyu’s approval and gave him trouble again.

 

“Hey.”

 

“Eeep!!” Hyunmi jumped in shock and looked beside her to see Hoya looking at her weirdly.

 

“O-oh. Hey.” Hyunmi calmed her racing heart and followed Hoya inside. “Uhm…”

 

Hoya looked at the fidgeting and obviously distressed sorcerer and pats her on the back.

 

“We’re not mad. Don’t worry.”

 

Hyunmi whipped her head to Hoya, surprised that he knew what she went there for.

 

“It would have been good to tell us you went back to the castle though. Dongwoo was yelling nonstop how the King would kill us for losing you.” Hoya chuckled.

 

“Oh.” Hyunmi tried to laugh but failed. “I’m still sorry.” Hyunmi frowned. “Sungjong told me Sunggyu told you off when it was my idea in the first place.”

 

“The King tells us off on so many things. It’s no big deal Hyunmi really. You don’t have to feel bad.” Hoya dismissed Hyunmi’s worries. “Besides, Dongwoo was happy you were out of the castle. You were cooped up here for so long. The King told us you don’t like mingling but our people are all good people, they take after the King afterall.” Hoya finished with a rare smile on his face.

 

Hyunmi felt at ease at Hoya’s words and gave him one of her toothy grin in return.

 

“Thank you. I was afraid you were mad at me.” Hyunmi sighed in relief.

 

“It would take a lot to make us mad, especially Dongwoo, believe me.” Hoya snorted, stopping in front of an arena.

 

“Oh. It’s Myungsoo.” Hyunmi leaned on the railing. “Is that Woohyun?” Hyunmi watched intently as Woohyun and Myungsoo exchange hard blows on each other.

 

“He’s in charge of training the Prince. Hey Dongwoo, done with the knight’s training?” Hoya waved at Dongwoo who’s walking like a zombie.

 

Dongwoo groaned and slumped himself on Hoya’s back, whining.

 

“There’s no improvement in their performance at all, we should talk to the King about this and oh! Hi Hyunmi! I haven’t seen you the past days!” Dongwoo suddenly regained strength and jumped in front of Hyunmi.

 

“Hello Dongwoo.” Hyunmi smiled, Dongwoo’s happy energy already rubbing on her.

 

“Since you’re here, want to spar with me?” Dongwoo pulled Hyunmi down the arena where the Prince and Woohyun are.

 

“Eh? Me? I’m going straight to the cathedral at your first hit! I’m level 27 Dongwoo!!” Hyunmi tried to pull away but Dongwoo was determined when he threw a sword at her and is already on fighting stance.

 

“Ehhhh but I want to test your battle skills Hyunmi.” Dongwoo pouted but smiled playfully when he suddenly lunged forward and striked Hyunmi.

 

Clang!

 

Hoya whistled at the side. Hyunmi’s sword firmly blocking Dongwoo’s from hitting her. Dongwoo grinned and swiped his leg but Hyunmi jumped back and raised both her hands.

 

“W-wait! Dongwoo wait! I can’t fight! Dongwoo!!”

 

Dongwoo apparently can’t hear anymore because he kept attacking Hyunmi who manages to block all of it. Woohyun and Myungsoo stopped sparring when they saw the scene and decided to watch the interesting spectacle.

 

“Hoya stop him!” Hyunmi pleaded to Hoya who just ignored her with a shrug and ducked just in time to avoid Dongwoo’s slash. “Are you trying to cut off my neck?!”

 

“He can’t be stopped when he finds a strong opponent granny. Good luck!” Woohyun shouted, a teasing smirk plastered on his face.

 

“I’m not strong! Can’t you see the level 27 on my status screen?! Oh god Dongwoo not my hair!” Hyunmi slid to a halt and grabbed her hair protectively.

 

“Take me seriously then, you’re holding back a lot.” Dongwoo pouted, scratching his head.

 

“What do you expect from my low level? And I’m a sorcerer not a knight!” Hyunmi returned the pout back.

 

“Oy what is this? A battle of pouts? Go kill each other come on!” Woohyun yelled.

 

“Who’s going to kill each other?” Sungjong popped out of nowhere and scared the hell out of Woohyun.

 

“God damn it Sungjong!” Sungjong just raised an eyebrow at Woohyun and rolled his eyes.

 

“Oh! Is Hyunmi and Dongwoo sparring?” Sungjong’s eyes twinkled and rushed to the front. “My bet is on Hyunmi!”

 

“My bet is Dongwoo!”

 

“Me too!”

 

“…” Woohyun and Myungsoo looked at the quiet Hoya who was watching with a serious face.

 

“Howon?” Woohyun called.

 

“This battle has nothing to with levels. Dongwoo knows that so he’s trying to squeeze Hyunmi to show her sword skills, which she obviously has.”

 

“So you noticed?” Woohyun whistled when Hyunmi managed to block yet another attack from Dongwoo.

 

“I’m surprised you bet on Dongwoo when you know he’s already being pushed back.” Hoya silently commented.

 

“Eh?” Myungsoo looked confused at Hoya’s statement.

 

‘Dongwoo is being pushed back? But he’s the only one attacking!’

 

“Dongwoo’s holding back a lot too.” Woohyun defended.

 

“He’s just trying to gauge Hyunmi’s extent.” Hoya side-eyed Woohyun when he saw him reaching for his sword. “Woohyun?”

 

“Then let’s get her serious.” Woohyun smirked, turning around with an evil smile at the Prince.

 

“W-what are you planning you short tree?!” Myungsoo stepped back at the sight of his evil glint but before he can run Woohyun had grabbed him and threw him inside the arena.

 

“Prince!!” Sungjong gasped when a blur passed by him and later realized that it was Myungsoo.

 

“Woohyun!!” Hoya gaped at the absurdity that is Woohyun whose smirk just turned wider and wider.

 

“Woohyun you’re insane! That’s the Prince!” Sungjong hit Woohyun.

 

 

Hyunmi whipped her head when she heard Sungjong yell, eyes turning wide at the falling Prince and ran to catch him but Dongwoo had other plans and rushed forward with his sword.

 

*crack*

 

silence

 

“Oh my god who threw you Myungsoo? Are you alright? Are you hurt anywhere?” Hyunmi set Myungsoo down and frantically searched for any injury.

 

“N-no, I’m fine.” Myungsoo said, his eyes not on Hyunmi but on the sword stuck on the other side of the room.

 

“Thank goodness.” Hyunmi sighed in relief before her legs gave out. She slumped on the floor, hands trembling as her brain finally caught up to what just happened.

 

‘He was dead serious at that last attack! Had I put lesser strength, he’d cut through my sword and into my head! But if I put more strength I would chop off half the arena- no no, you don’t have that power anymore Hyunmi, you can’t expose yourself.’ Hyunmi shivered at her thought and felt light-headed at the possibility of being found out.

 

“Hyunmi you’re hurt!”

 

Everyone ran down at the three and that’s when Sungjong saw the long gash on Hyunmi’s cheek.

 

“! The King is going to kill me!” Dongwoo tossed his sword aside and dropped beside Hyunmi to check the wound, worrying even more when she swayed before falling in his arms, unconscious.

 

“We’re all dead.” Woohyun muttered under his breath.


 

Happy Birthday to my light, Kim Sunggyu! Thank you for being born and for being the way you are! Please be healthy and always be happy!