Only On The Fifteenth

Shadows In His Heart

"Damn!" She cursed under her breath as a foot went flying straight into her abdomen, knocking her straight to the ground. She winced from the pain and coughed as she rolled out of the way just in time before another kick came at her.

"Wait!" She screamed as she held up her arms, as a fist came flying at her.

Hyorin held her breath as she waited for the impact that never came. Slowly she lowered her arms and looked up to see him crouching over her, his fist only inches from her face. Not a single bead of sweat anywhere as he looked down at her, with a bored look on his face. He watched her for an extra second before he pulled back, leaving her on the ground as he walked off to the side grabbed a towel and threw it at ground in front of her.

"You have ten minutes" He ordered as he slipped on his watch and stepped out.

She stared as he left and collapsed on her back, enjoying the cool feel of the ground underneath her. Closing her eyes, she willed the nausea away as she reluctantly pushed herself up and made her way into the locker room. Aware of the little time she had left, she took the type of lightning quick showers she had learned to take and rushed to get her clothes on afterwards. Her now long hair tangled as she rushed, knowing full well that he would be capable of walking and dragging her out half as a lesson for not being fast enough.

Jaejoong shot her a quick look of disdain as she finally came out, her cheeks rosy from the hot shower she had taken. She followed him silently, trying to untangle her hair in the process with her fingers. Vaguely she remembered the reason she hadn't cut it since that day one year ago. Her mother had always tried to convince her to grow it out like herself, but like a stubborn teenager she had refused. Her heart raced in anger that hadn't even begun to cool. When she finally found the men responsible for her death she knew she would kill them, maybe then she'd finally be able to sleep without her mother's haunting face in her nightmares.

He could always tell when she was thinking about that day. Her head would lower slightly and her whole body would change. From the lazy and insecure steps that she would normally take, it turned into something determined and angry. It wasn't that she stomped around in fact it was the opposite, it was the precision and silence in her steps that spoke volumes for the raw anger he could feel coming from her. If only she knew the truth... he had a feeling that she would tear this place and the people inside it into little pieces. For now, seeing from the training only a few minutes before, that wasn't something he had to worry about yet.

Without a word they both stepped into the hospital like room. Hyorin hated the room. She wanted to forget that day and everything surrounding it. She wanted to get rid of the weakness inside of her to avenge her mother, but once every month she was dragged into this room that reminded her of the screaming little girl she was.

"Sit" He ordered as he pulled some gloves on.

She followed obediently, having already learned the price for not listening to his orders. It had taken a year, but finally the lesson had been well taught. It wasn't anything type of physical punishment. No, the only time he ever laid hands on her was during training and that in itself was punishment alone if she didn't train hard enough. He could always tell. Instead, the punishments consisted of thing like no food for a few days, but that was back when was she really difficult to deal with. When she wouldn't listen to reason and would kick and scream every month when they brought her to this room. Hyorin remembered the look of frustration on Jaejoong's face back then and wondered what he would have done had her... father not come in and explained to her the purpose of her monthly "check-ups".

She shed the sweatshirt she wore, leaving her in only a flimsy tank top, and extended out her right arm. Strangely enough, Hyorin found that she wasn't particularly shy around Jaejoong. He was so cold, so mechanic, never even showing anything more than disdain for her that she just couldn't bring herself to view him as a man. It wasn't that Hyorin didn't think he was good looking, it was just that there was something... wrong with him. She knew it sounded strange and since she herself wasn't unaware of the types of women he met with on occasion, she too found it a bit weird in the beginning before finally just accepting it and moving on.

Jaejoong grabbed her forearm forcefully, not to make a point, but just because that was his normal demeanor. She was used to it. She didn't even wince from the cold of his hands or the force anymore, she suspected it was the only way he knew to touch someone. He pulled out the large syringe and she looked swiftly away. Closing her eyes, she felt the long needle pierce her skin with precision and up blood until it was full.   He placed the filled syringe on the small stand beside him and put a tan bandage on the arm.

She watched as he slipped the blood into a small vial, capping it and quickly dating it. He slipped it into his pocket, removed his gloves and walked out leaving her in there without a second thought.

Grabbing her sweatshirt, she pulled it back on as she walked out with no particular destination in mind. Her routine never changed except for the fifteenth of every month, where their training would end 30 minutes earlier and they would go to that room. Once a month he would take her blood and once a month she would relieve those memories stronger than ever. For the following week she knew the nightmares would be more vivid. At first she had resisted the procedure, not quite trusting it, but soon she was explained how she had to stop being afraid. It was her burden to bear with for a greater good. If she had listened to her mother then maybe she wouldn't be... yes, the least she could do was help continue the research her mother had done. It should come in handy soon anyways she reminded herself as she kept walking in the tall facility that always seemed empty, yet never really was.

Jaejoong closed his eyes as he leaned in the elevator going to the lowest floor there was. A floor so low only a few people knew about it and that even less could even reach. His hand found its way to the vial in his pocket. A brief image of her flashed before his eyes. It lasted less than a second, but that was enough. Women were strange to him. He had only ever loved one and that had ended badly he remembered briefly before shutting that woman back up into the dark corners in his mind. Now he wasn't picky, having shut off that particular part of him that allowed him to really care for any of them he found that it was much easier that way. It was that freedom that allowed him to shut off any thoughts of how Hyorin's body had changed into a woman's body. Then again, it was also that freedom that allowed him to notice it so much lately. Still, he was Kim Jaejoong and if he wasn't able to hold back from her then he wouldn't be alive in the first place.

With a ping the elevator doors swung open, pulling him from these rare thoughtful moments and he stepped out. The floor was empty but he knew that behind every single steel door he passed there was a team of scientists... and victims. He had gotten himself into this life by mistake at a young age, but he had embraced it in a way that would make his long-gone parents shamed he thought. A scream was heard through the almost sound-proof walls reminding him what he was good at blocking out. The violence he didn't mind, but the things they did in the name of science once that elevator's door swung open... he didn't like to think about that. Jaejoong could feel the change in atmosphere once he crossed over. The place felt suffocating as if the souls of all those who had died down here were trying to choke anyone that stepped foot down here. That's why he hated the 15th of every month. It was only on this day that he was forced to come down here and it was only on this day that he had to take that long elevator ride down where the strangest thoughts seemed to come to him.

Still, he was the only one trusted with the blood she so willingly gave out. If she knew what was happening down here, if she knew what her blood was used for... would she fight to the death against it? Probably. She seemed like the type. He hated her a little bit on these days, because he had been assigned as her handler, he was the only one who handled her precious blood and so he was forced to come down here.

Jaejoong took out his keycard and slid it through the lock as the large steel door swung open. He walked in and placed the vial into the hands of the particularly sleazy microbiologist, Park Hong Gil that handled the important things. With all the things that Jaejoong himself had done, to be considered sleazy in his eyes really said something.

"Ah Jaejoong always on time. Have there been any changes with her yet?" His boss asked.

"No changes" He answered simply.

"I told you my hypothesis was correct" Said Hong Gil, slipping a drop of blood on a glass slide and placing it under the microscope, "I think it's since the drug was administered during the pregnancy that the girl isn't dying off like the rest of them. It seems to have bound to her DNA during development, now our only problem is trying to reverse engineer it so that we can have a sample of the drug, but even that is taking us far longer than expected"

"If only that woman hadn't destroyed everything when she betrayed us, she even took the girl" He growled angrily, "I bet she never expected that in the end, Hyorin would be in the same place she was born and helping us too!" He said smugly a triumphant smile on his face from a fight long ago.

"I think it's a good time to activate it" Hong Gil commented, examining the data in front of him.

"Isn't it risky?" Jaejoong asked suddenly.

"Yes, but then at least she can become truly useful to us. I hear her fighting skills are atrocious anyways, whether it works or whether it sends her into a comatose state, she'll still be producing the blood we need" He said carelessly.

"Good point" Her father chimed in, "Next month take her blood first before you inject her with the vaccine, now leave I've got things to discuss here that don't concern you"

"Yes sir" Jaejoong answered coldly as he turned and walked away.

He took a tired breath as the elevator carried him back up. He walked back to his room passing by the lounge where Hyorin was playing a game of cards with Yesung. Yesung watched her with a face of amusement as she laughed. Jaejoong paused from a moment, her laughter echoing down the hall. It wasn't common to hear people laugh in this building. He took one last look at the two and kept walking as he tried to figure when those two had gotten so close.

Still, he wondered for a brief moment if she would even be able to smile next month. Jaejoong suddenly got the urge to visit that woman... he looked outside. The weather threatened with a storm and he bitterly told himself it wouldn't help with anything. It was only on the fifteenth that he got these strange urges and he hated them.

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

 

Happy new years everybody! This chapter in a bit lenghty, but I really got into while I wrote it... hahaha. I hope everybody had a fun New Years celebration and I'm excited that it's 2012 already! This year seemed to go by so fast that I think I'm still in a bit of shock that it's already 2012, on the plus side I got to put up my new calendar! (yes, I would get excited about that XD)

Thanks for reading and subscribing and please comment? ^-^