VI

[Discontinued] Unexpected Places
Please log in to read the full chapter

 

The sky was a rich blue so beautiful that Kira couldn't help herself but to stare at the vast gorgeousness, instead of directing her eyes to the man who was speaking. He paused, followed her line of sight, before quietly chuckling. Of course Kira wasn't so distracted as to not miss the chime of happiness by her first love.

 

"What are you laughing at?" She asked, looking around in wonder. Jongin had a wistful smile on his face as he lightly shook his head, his brown locks ruffling in the evening breeze.

 

"You're still the same after all these years." The both of them shared a look, and they seemed to be having the same flashbacks- the secret smiles, the discreet, slight hand touches under the table as they conversed with their group of friends, the sickly sweet notes they would hide in each other's belongings.

 

"I can say the same for you," Kira added quietly as she watched how he would lean towards her unintentionally, like an opposite pole of a magnet. He’s the same secretive and silly guy who cared too much for everyone he loved.

 

Jongin's smile was like hot chocolate with marshmallows- warm, loving, and sinfully addictive. Baekhyun's smile, on the other hand, was sunshine and rainbows- beautiful, uplifting, and seriously contagious. He leaned back on one hand and looked at the empty field in front of him. "Do you ever miss those days?"

 

She bit her lip, adverting her eyes away from him. Kira ran a hand through her hair, scratching her head for good measure. She thought of how happy she was, how it all felt so surreal. "I do, sometimes." He let out a longing sigh that even an animal would understand as a "Me too."

 

It was quiet, until Jongin said a word that made so much noise. "Baekhyun." Kira was almost glaring at the flower she was holding in her hand. "He's," a pause, "treating you well, yes?" Her gaze immediately softened, feeling less tense than before.

 

She didn’t even have to think about it, immediately answering him. "He is," they both did not miss the affection that coupled with her words.

 

“Good.” It came out in a whisper, and Kira suddenly felt awful for some reason. It wasn’t like she was cheating on Jongin or anything.

 

"If he hurts you in any way, I will murder him.” Seeing her discomfort, he decided to add to his words. “Or at least break his bones first, unless he s up so bad, then I’m promising to you right now that I will have my death sentence if it means justice for you."

 

"There's no need for any knife sharpening or bone breaking, Kai," she looked at him appalled, but seeing how determined he was to do something out of his character just because someone had hurt her, her heart warmed. "But thank you," she reached out and squeezed his shoulder.

 

Jongin shook his head and brought his eyes somewhere else, anything but at her. "I'm sincerely glad you found him and he found you." He started off, gently yanking out a tuft of grass, slowly meeting her gaze. "You deserve to feel happy and loved every second of the day, and I want you to never feel like you're not good enough for anyone," he reached out and her hair with a touch so light she barely felt it. "Baekhyun's lucky to have you."

 

Kira's vision blurred from the tears that swam in her eyes. "I want you to stay with me, even when my hair is grey and my face is wrinkled, I want us to stay friends till our souls have left our body." His smile was bittersweet.

 

"There's a certain extent to me abiding my parents' wishes." he scoffed, eyes suddenly fiery and cutting. "I will not forgive them for seeing you differently, for dismissing you without even knowing you.” He seemed to be memorizing her facial features, scanning every inch of her face and imprinting it into his brain as if he wasn’t going to see her again, and it terrified Kira. For a moment he stared at her hand, contemplating a decision he cannot decide. So Kira made the decision for him, taking his hand into hers, giving it a reassuring squeeze. He evidently relaxed in place, stealing glances at their intertwined hands. "I would have taken you away with me, we could start a new life together, but ultimately we're chained up here."

 

It was quiet- the both of them collecting their thoughts, their memories, their dreams.

 

"Kim Jongin." The said man turned to her with an inquiring gaze. For one short moment, he looked at her like how he used to years ago. "I hope you'll find someone that would fight for you more than I ever did, make your days instantly brighter with his or her presence, to love you so fiercely you'll never commit sins you would've done. I want you to be as happy as I am, because you deserve it as much as I do. If the love you feel is more than what you felt for me, I'm begging you to fight for your lover." She wasn't sure if he was squeezing hard on her hand because of her words, or because she, too, had a tight grip on his hand. "Don't let anyone tell you who to love, okay?"

 

---

 

It was the little things every day. Baekhyun walking her back to her car, the shower of kisses she receives as she was about to climb in, the longing in his eyes that mirrored hers as she drove away. It’s hard to leave his side knowing he was hers. She wanted to be in the comfort of his arms, an effective shield from all the negativity the world has to offer. They met more often than when they were friends, which meant they met almost every day despite hectic schedules and pretty lengthy drives to see each other.

 

It felt familiar to be filled with so much happiness every day as she re-lived the days with Jongin in her head, but those days were tainted with darkness because it left them both with broken hearts that scarred them for life. This was a fresh new start, and most probably a better one, for Kira. The scars wouldn’t make her less beautiful, it would make her a stronger woman, and that was needed in a harsh world. However, with Baekhyun, she didn’t need to be strong. She could be his strength even when she had her walls down; he was not just a distraction, he was not just her happy pill. Baekhyun is so much more than that.

 

---

 

"You thought I'd leave you?" She asked, legs on top of his as she leaned into the cushion more, the book in her hand suddenly not as interesting as it was.

 

"I guess it's stupid, but," he sighed, ruffling his hair with his fingers, expression worn. "You made me crazy," he had an endearing smile on his face, as if being crazy was the best thing in the world. "Love is ruthless and almost every one of the scenarios I thought of lead to whatever we had turning into ashes, so, I waited for you." There was a glint in his eyes. She knew it wasn't easy for him, to not openly love. Kira did love him, but she was sure that he loved her more, so much more that it keeps her up at night sometimes.

 

Kira almost wanted to laugh. It was cruel, really. She didn't want to confess because she thought he deserved someone better, someone that's not her. Meanwhile, the other thought that she didn't love him all this while, hiding his feelings, locking them up, just so that she could never run away. But she didn't laugh, because she admired him for being so dedicated, so loving, and going to extents just so that she w

Please log in to read the full chapter