III

[Discontinued] Unexpected Places
Please log in to read the full chapter

 

He actually left her alone, he would wait for her to come back to him, because certainly she wouldn't end their friendship just because he lied, right?

 

But he couldn't wait any longer. He had to see her. He felt unsettled, his heart felt uncomfortable. He wanted to apologize, he would do anything to patch it all up- and when he said anything, he really did mean it. She meant a lot to him, and he didn't know why. He just couldn't let go of her.

 

Baekhyun had searched for her; he didn't call nor text her, thinking that it would be more sincere to apologize face to face. He had waited in front of her condominium for about an hour before he would drive to the Tree. It seemed that fate didn't want them to meet, because no matter how long he waited, she didn’t show up.

 

It came to the point where he had drove to her university to see her. He might have regretted it, because the sight he saw wasn't exactly pleasant to his eyes. Kira was walking side by side with a guy, but the cause of his eye twitch was because they looked so happy- her eyes were shining and his favourite smile was enchanting in the light of the sunset. Her hair was dancing with the wind and she was radiating with happiness. It was as if he was watching what it was like between him and Kira the past few months, except he was the outsider this time, and it hurt him.

 

Kira had felt Baekhyun's burning stare apparently, because she turned her head and met eyes with him. She was evidently surprised to see him, but she didn't make a step towards him. The guy next to her had noticed the change in the atmosphere and had enquired her about Baekhyun, and that seemed to have snapped her out of her trance. She probably introduced Baekhyun to him, but had told the guy to stay put. The steps she took to reach him were nerve-wrecking for both parties.

 

"You look awful," was the first thing she said to him.

 

Baekhyun didn’t react to her rather harsh words. "You look... beautiful," was his reply. Kira just gave him a small smile, the pink tint coming to her cheeks. "Listen, I'm really, really, really sorry Kira. I had no intention of hurting you in any way and trust me, I wasn't using you. I would never use you for my own advantage. I was just interested in you, you know? I was attracted to you, I wanted to know more about you. And I didn't think tha-"

 

"Baekhyun."Her tone was firm and it silenced him. "I forgive you. I was just upset, and I hated you,” Baekhyun winced at her words. He looked broken, shattered, remorse was written all over his face. “But I forgave you the moment I stepped out of your office. You’re Baekhyun; I can never stay mad at you.”

 

Baekhyun's mouth formed words but nothing came out. His eyes searched hers, he didn’t know what he was looking for in those dark orbs, but he didn’t find it. "B-but- you- why didn't you see me for the past weeks? You didn’t even call or text me! Aren't we still... friends?" She missed him and how much he can sound like a child, as she stared at him. He looked frail, she was looking at the Baekhyun she rarely saw but was always hidden within, and she felt bad for ignoring him for so long. She knew it was quite extreme, but Kira thought that he deserved it.

 

Kira shook her head and let out a light-hearted chuckle. "I was busy, Baek." He blinked twice at his nickname she always used. But, he knew she was hiding something.

 

The guy Kira was with cleared his throat and the both of them turned to the said man. The way he stared at Baekhyun was quite hostile, and there was no reason for him to act that way. Was he her boyfriend and was jealous of Baekhyun? Kira turned to him, and her eyes were solemn, and her smile was forced "I- I need to go, Baekhyun. Drive safely. I’ll call you." They both knew it was a silent promise.

 

Their eyes spoke more than their words ever could, and it took everything in Kira to tear her eyes off of his. Kira left first, and she threw glances at him while she walked away, while Baekhyun stayed rooted in his spot.

 

Who knew things could change so quickly. Who knew this was what he needed to do after so many sleepless nights. His bittersweet smile was a stark contrast to his eyes. He had fallen hard.

 

 

"Baek?" She tentatively took a step into his office. He looked up from his desk and a wide smile spread across his lips.

 

"Good morning, cat paws," his voice, sweet and soothing. Kira closed the door before walking over to him. "I was worried you'd never come."

 

"You met me two days ago, Baekhyun." Kira pointed out but went into deaf ears. He had grabbed her wrist and hugged her (more like suffocated her), and Kira had to hit his back repeatedly for him to let go. Baekhyun simply laughed at her and sat back down on his chair.

 

Suddenly reminded of their exchange that day, he thought of the protective boy and wanted to ask the question he desperately wanted to know the answer to. "That guy you were with, is he your boyfriend?" Kira clucked her tongue before sitting on his desk.

 

"Jongin? He's just a friend of mine. Why do you ask?" She suspiciously looked at him. He hoped that his sigh of relief went by unnoticed.

 

"Well, he's really protective of you. He kept looking at me as if I was going to murder your cat or something." He leaned back in his chair and shuddered. Kira looked amused at that.

 

"I've known him since I was 12. We kind of dated in high school, I guess." She got down from his desk and went straight to the couch. Baekhyun his lips and drummed his fingers on his desk. He must still harbour feeli

Please log in to read the full chapter