A Skate Date

The Little Things (Oneshots)

 

Your breath fogs across your rosy cheeks as the night air chills you to the bone. You rub your hands quickly up and down your arms, seeking warmth from the friction. The stars are shining overhead but you can’t see it; the roof of the outdoor skating rink blocks out everything above you. You shiver hard as a hand suddenly tangles in your own, fingers interlocking perfectly. You look up to meet the shy gaze of your date, Luhan, your longtime crush.

You blush profusely and look down at the wobbly skates laced up on your ankles. He gives you a small smile. “Ready?” He asks, standing firmly on his own pair of ice skates. You nod hesitantly and he slowly begins to pull you along behind him on the slippery surface. Your legs wobble unsurely as people whizz past, kids laughing and stumbling as couple skate by.

Luhan clings to you tightly, looking confident as he keeps you steady. He meets your gaze and you can’t help but blush again as the reality sets in; you were really on a date with the boy you had admired for years from afar. Your thoughts drift back to the afternoon a few days ago when he first asked you.

“_____!” He had called, his voice surprising you. The two of you weren’t absolute strangers but you sure weren’t friends. You had talked to him maybe a few times throughout three years. You couldn’t help the fact that you were unbearably shy and awkward when ever he came close. Just a mere glance at him and your legs would turn to jelly.

That day was no different; you nearly fainted when he suddenly grabbed your arm, stopping you from leaving the door as the last bell rang for school to be let out. He gave you that sweet, wonderful smile and you could only blink back in awe.

“I…I wanted to know if you’d like to go ice skating with me this weekend!” His voice had been so happy, so hopeful. You were shocked beyond all belief.

“I-uh, I’d love to!” Your words had blurted straight from your mouth before you could even think about what you were saying. His face had lighted up to an astounding glow as he clapped his hands together.

“Great! I’ll pick your up at six on Friday!” And then he was gone, leaving you to nearly melt in the happiness of that situation.

And then the nervousness had hit you; shaky, fearful nervousness that followed you throughout the entire week up until this very moment. You fretted over every little thing; what to wear, what to say, what to do. And especially how to tell him that you had no idea how to ice skate.

But everything had turned out so much better than you expected; Luhan told you he would teach you how to skate and guide you so that you wouldn’t fall. And here he was, doing exactly what he had promised. And you couldn’t lie; his touch was making your pulse thump at about a million times a minute.

Luhan leads you along the ice, skating expertly backwards as if it were the easiest thing in the world. He flips his hair out of his face and gives you a warm, heart melting smile. You’re surprised you don’t melt right there with the ice.

Suddenly someone brushes into you as the speed past. You scramble for a foothold but only succeed in tumbling to the hard, unforgiving ice. You wince as you hit the hard packed surface and with accidentally pull Luhan down after you, forgetting that your fingers are still locked together securely.

He stares at you for a moment in surprise before he bursts out laughing. You start to giggle until you’re full out cracking up as well, clutching your stomach as other skaters give the two of you funny glances.

When he finally stops laughing, he stares at you with a grin. “Are you okay?” He asks, pulling you to your feet. You nod quickly and give him a warm smile.

“I’m perfectly fine!” He looks down at your skates and meets your eyes again.

“But I broke my promise, I said I wouldn’t let your fall.” He pouts and you fight the urge to squeeze his cheeks.

“You made up for it by falling with me.” He laughs again at your response.

“I suppose you’re right; come on, let’s get back to this lesson. You won’t learn anything if we stand around forever.” You giggle as he tugs you behind him once again, watching his lithe frame take long strides across the ice as he turns back and gives you a heart wrenching grin.

Waiting those long three years was beyond worth it.