Tired

The Little Things (Oneshots)

 

A small sound wakes you from your restless sleep and you stir on the uncomfortable couch. There’s a click in the distance, the sound of a doorknob turning and the lock sliding into place. You can tell by the footsteps against the wooden floor that it's Woohyun as he crosses the room. You start to rub the sleep from your eyes and stand up to meet him but he's already beside you, your hair gently and placing a kiss to your temple. 

"It's late," you say sharply. You try to sound stern through the thick sleepiness still on your tongue but it comes out sounding more weak and concerned. He sighs tiredly and gives you a strained smile. 

"I know, I'm sorry. I stayed later after dance practice to try and perfect some of the moves I had trouble on,” he says, combing his fingers through your hair as you shut your eyes and lean into the touch. "I told you not to wait up for me like this," he says softly. "You look exhausted."

You frown and place your hand over his as it falls to rest on your shoulder. "And I told you not to overwork yourself, but you don't listen to that, do you?" He tries to smile sheepishly but his eyes are drooping slightly. Exhaustion is sketched into his features in tired lines.  

"I...I didn't..." He trails off, his mouth forming silent syllables. He stutters but falls silent when he can’t seem to think of what to say. His eyelids flutter and he and starts to slump forward as you catch him unsteadily in your arms. 

"Hey, Woo? Woohyun?" You try to shake him awake but he doesn't stir. You press the back of your hand against his forehead and yank it away when the heat of it nearly burns you. 
"I thought I told you to stop when it got to be too much," you murmur softly in his ear, sighing in exasperation. You struggle to link your arms under his and make a note to award yourself for managing to avoid tripping over your own feet.

It takes quite a lot of time and a little more strength than you knew you had to drag him back to bed. He still flushes with a fever and you hurriedly find a cool cloth to press to his forehead. You run your fingers through his hair and press soft kisses to his forehead, worry etched in your features. You have to pinch yourself repeatedly to keep from slumping over him in a dead sleep. 

Finally, you can’t fight it anymore. Your eyes shut against your will and you fall asleep curled against his chest. You forget about anything but his scent and the feeling of his heated skin pressed against yours.

 

When you wake up, the blankets are tucked against your chin and there’s a hand running through your hair.

“Look at you,” Woohyun says softly. “You’re exhausted. I told you not to wait up for me.” You sit up and rub the sleepiness from your eyes. You prop yourself up against your elbow and frown.

“Me? You’re the one who came home so exhausted that you had a fever! I told you pushing yourself so hard would only end up hurting you!” You sigh and toy with the hem of his t-shirt. “You never listen and it worries me.”

He plants a kiss against your cheek and brushes the spot with his thumb. “I’m sorry, I really am. I don’t mean to go against your wishes but it’s my job. I have to put 100% in my singing and dancing and promoting for myself and for the rest of Infinite. We’re a team and I can’t let my team down.”

You nod slowly, pressing a hand against his forehead with a crease in your brow. “I understand. Just, please, stop when it becomes too much. Promise me that. I know that this is your life, but I can’t watch it kill you.” He chuckles under his breath and twines your ankles together before pulling you into his arms.

“I promise,” he says, and he seals it with a kiss.