The Last Song

How I See Myself in Five Years

I was at the waiting area, scrolling through the lyrics of my song. According to Manager-nim, I would be doing a collaboration with some artists. I tried asking her who would I be working with but she wouldn't tell me. And right now, I'm sitting on the couch by the recording station as someone adjusted the amplifier.

"Alrighty..." A cute midget greeted me, wearing fashionable clothes and a cap on her head. "We can start now, Sejeong."

"Okay. What about the other artists-"

I was interrupted when I heard a knock on the door. I went to open it when I got my head bumped.

It was a bit painful. I rubbed my temples over my blonde locks and gasped when I saw a girl sprawled on the floor. I hastily went to help her out. "Oh, no. I'm so sorry..."

"No..it's okay-" She stopped mid-sentence and I gulped.

It was Chaeyeon. I gulped, frozen on my tracks, my hand holding onto hers like they were stuck with adhesive. I sighed, pulled her up an we faced each other. I noticed a speck of dust on her shirt that I went to scrape it off when she drove herself away.

"You don't have to, Sejeong." Chaeyeon spoke. "I'm fine."

"No it's not. I feel awful." I answered her. "Please..."

I grabbed a hanky and scraped the dust off of her skirt and shirt. I sighed again. I should tell Manager-nim and Sajangnim to get the floors cleaned.

"Thank you." Chaeyeon answered and I smile at her.

*ehem*

I looked behind Chaeyeon and saw Manager-nim and two more artists. My manager asked me why Chaeyeon was still outside as I shook my head and came back to reality. 

"Well, sorry. Didn't mean to leave a guest here." I answered.

"That's fine, Sejeong. Why don't you four sit down as I talk to the other managers?" My manager said.

I nodded as I the other three artists to the couch. Chaeyeon was next to me as we waited for the the setup to finish. I got to meet the two artists, Mina and Yeonjung and Chaeyeon also got to meet the both of them.

"Okay...who shall start?" 

"Omo-Chungha?!" Chaeyeon exclaimed. "You're working here?!"

"Yes, Chaeyeon." Chungha winked. "I'm Sejeong's arranger. Music has been in my veins so in the ended, I produce the music in Sejeong's lyrics."

Yeonjung and Mina were obliged to meet the three of us, especially Chungha. Yeonjung went to record first as Chungha told her of some details. Yeonjung nodded and sang.

Her voice was strong and vibrant. Not that I'm bragging but we're almost in the same level in our voices. I moved my head from side to side, just like Mina did. Chaeyeon just watched, listening to the music silently.

"Alright. Nice." Chungha signed and Yeonjung got out of the station. "Mina, time for some rapping."

The cutie cheered as she got in. Chungha checked the lyrics again as Mina readied herself inside the station. "Okay...I will let you listen to the music first so that you can familiarize."

Mina nodded as Chungha turned the music on. We watched Mina listen as I had my hands on my mouth, hoping the cutie can get it right. After one round, Mina signed that she was good to go with the recording. Chungha had the music set as Mina rapped. We wowed as Mina rapped the lyrics I made and she slayed her part pretty well. As she ended, she got out doing a cheerful dance as we all applauded.

"You slayed it, Mina!" Yeonjung screamed as we laughed.

"Nice one, Mina~!" Chungha said, hi-fiving her. "Okay, Sejeong. You're up!"

I huffed as Yeonjung and Mina cheered lightly. I smiled at them as I set myself up inside as Chungha gave me a thumbs-up.

"Okay...start."

I heard the music then sang my heart out. I saw all of them looking at me intently, even Chaeyeon. I focused on the song, a foundation of my aspiration, summing my whole existence as much as a complete pair of jeans wherein it's not a pair of jeans if either pair is lost.

I ended my session, got out and saw Yeonjung and Mina tear up lightly. Chungha was wiping her eyes off and I saw Chaeyeon lower her head. I patted their backs as I went back to my seat. I also went to pat Chaeyeon's back, which took longer than usual.

"Oh, boy...your will got us in tears, Sejeong. Jesus..." Chungha muttered. "Chaeyeon, you're next."

Chaeyeon stood up as I let go. She went inside, setting herself up as Chungha got her part of the music ready.

Chaeyeon sung lightly. Her voice was never vibrant. It was as light, as innocent, and as soothing as the whole her. And at that, it reminded me of those days...


We were grouped in fours for our song composition. I initiated to compose the lyrics with their help in terms of ideas. Kyulkyung would be our lead vocalist and guitarist as Yebin would be the rapper and our percussionist. Chaeyeon was also in our team as a sub-vocalist.

"Okay, class. Listen up. Each group will compose a one-minute song and will present it to the whole class. I will give you 45 minutes to agree and finalize everything. Your time starts...now."

Kyulkyung and Yebin got some rhythm as I try to arrange the lyrics according to the beat. In 15 minutes, we got the music ready. Now, it was time to put it to the test.

"Okay. I will get this line, Kyulkyung, you have the bridge and the second verse. Yebin, why don't you rap this part with the beat and...Chaeyeon?" I noticed her dazed as if she was out of place.

"Y-Yeah?" She asked me as if she came back to reality.

She looked cute that it made the rest of us chuckle lightly. I pat her back as I tell her of her lines. "You sing first in two lines of every part of the song."

"Are you sure?" Chaeyeon asked. "I don't have a good voice."

"It doesn't matter." Sejeong said to her. "What matters is that we do our best and have fun in performing."

"Agreed." Yebin said with a thumbs-up.

So I started to teach the lines to Chaeyeon and the rest, which lasted for another 15 minutes. Next, Kyulkyung plays her guitar as Yebin gave some cool beats. I wowed of the accompaniment, my eyes averted towards Chaeyeon, who's getting a bit nervous.

Then, she sings. Her voice was cute like a running bunch of puppies.It was a bit stale since her voice was soft but all in all, it was soothing in a cute way. The rest of the flow of the song went well. Kyulkyung had a vibrant voice, Yebin rapped soulfully, and I sang my heart, my ambitions and emotions coherent with this little activity.

As we finished practicing, Kyulkyung and Yebin hi-fived each other, me, and Chaeyeon. 

"Nice, nice..." Yebin cheered. "We're going to get that A in no time."

I chuckled. My gaze went to Chaeyeon, who was siging in relief. I went closer to her and patted her back. "You did well, Chaeyeon."

"Thanks, Sejeong." She said, looking at me intently.

"You're welcome, Chaeyeon." I replied.

***

The performances went well. All of us got good results, with our team getting the highest grade. Also, it was the last class for today. We got to go home early yet...I stayed for a while.

I thought I was the only one. I saw Chaeyeon by her seat, fiddling with her fingers. I wondered why she stayed as I ask her. "Chaeyeon, what are you still doing here?"

"I...I just want to stay for a bit." She said.

I motioned her to come closer and I patted a seat next to me. She hesitated at first but I assured that it was fine. In the end, she sat next to me as I got my iPod. I got my headset and the musi ready as I ask her. "Chaeyeon, do you know this song?"

I saw the questionable look in Chaeyeon's porcelain face as she looked at the title displayed in the screen of my iPod. "Yeah...I do."

I went to put the other earpiece on her ear and the other on mine. I played the song and I relaxed, listening to the song with Chaeyeon.

In the morning when you wake up
I like to believe you are thinking of me
And when the sun comes through your window
I like to believe you’ve been dreaming of me

Dreaming mmm mmm

I know
'cause I'd spend half this morning
Thinking about the t-shirt you sleep in

I should know
'cause I'd spend all the whole day
Listening to your message I’m keeping and never deleting

I heard Chaeyeon singing to some lyrics. I smiled at her and sang with her.

When I saw you,
Everyone knew
I liked the effect that you had on my eyes

But no one else heard
The weight of your words
Or felt the effect that they have on my mind

Falling mmm mmm

I know
'cause I'd spend half this morning
Thinking about the t-shirt you sleep in

I should know
'cause I'd spend all the whole day
Listening to your message I’m keeping and never deleting

As the song ended, I went to pick a new song. But then, I fidgeted. I looked and saw that Chaeyeon's fingers were almost tangled with mine. I gulped and my gaze focused on Chaeyeon.

This was weird. I felt like my heart was pumping too quickly. I saw Chaeyeon's stoic face but then, I sighed and smiled. She smiled cutely, her look so innocent and calm. 

"Haha...mind me." I muttered and she chuckled. How about you pick a song?"

"Okay..." She said and picked another soothing song.

It felt like smooth silk caressing the tinging spots in my ear. Chaeyeon's choice was good. We stayed at the classroom, listening to music, and I felt Chaeyeon leaning her head onto my shoulder.

I didn't mind. In fact, I find this as the best opportunity I could ask for.


"Good job, Chaeyeon." Chungha remarked.

Chaeyeon's session was finished as she got out, bowing lightly. The whole recording was finished. We all sat down as Chungha faced us, giving her comments on out voices.

"There's nothing much to say really...because all in all, the song's coming out good." She began, doing a thumbs-up. 

"Thanks, Chungha." I said. "Thanks for wrapping this up for us."

"Anything for a friend, Sejeong. Come on, friends need to be there for each other..." She said then her gaze averted towards Chaeyeon. "...even if one of you are not in good terms."

I chuckled, making sure not to make the ambiance awkward, and to make sure Yeonjung and Mina aren't curious enough to ask. Back to business. The recording's done. Yeonjung and Mina were obliged to meet us as they left ahead. Chungha arranged some files and made modifications with the song, saving it in the desktop.

"Lock the place for me, Sejeong. I need to go now." She said and I nodded.

I stayed for a while as the midget left. I huffed then wondered as Chaeyeon remained. "What are you still doing here?"

She gulped as she stood hastily and made her leave. I huffed, holding her arm before she could go. She faced me, her face almost in the brink of crying.

I sighed again. I can't believe Chungha triggered her. I'm gonna have to tell her not to do it again. "Chungha didn't mean to do it, Chae. You know that."

"Yeah..." She chuckled as I let go. "I know..."

"Hey." I spoke before Chaeyeon could leave. "We're still friends, aren't we?"

She could only smile and nod as she left. I sighed for the third time, staying for a bit before going out of the room, locking it.