Where to Start

How I See Myself in Five Years

"And CUT!"

I finished with my shoot for a scene for our new drama. I sighed in relief since it was the last shoot. I took time to bow at the crew, the staff, and even to my fellow actors and actresses. I sat by the chairs, with Manager-nim giving me a bottle of water and a saltine to munch on. I sulked, pouting at her for giving only a plain piece of biscuit for my snack. "Unnie, no strawberry cookies?"

"We talked about it, Chaeyeon. No more sweets. Sajangnim said to me to keep your diet in control," she said.

I pouted again. She continued to tell me of the strict diet and in the end, I ate the saltine. I munched as I continued to sit down. I watch the staff arrange the settings and Manager-nim calling someone. I sighed and asked her why we weren't going because of the fact I had no more schedules.

"Your stylist had to get the van fixed. Sorry for the delay, Chae. But rest assured that she'll come with the van soon." She smiled. "Why don't you rest for a bit?"

I saw her call someone again...must be the stylist. Anyways, I agreed to what she said, slumping on the chair as we wait for the van to arrive.

"OK. Wrap it up for the MV shoot!" I heard the Director yell.

I watch another person coming in. I saw her, hair all blonde, her cheekbones fine, and she even delivered an uncle-like smile. My eyes dilated as I saw her that I almost fell at the edge of my seat. 

"Yah, are you alright, Chaeyeon?" Manager-nim came to my aid. "What happened?"

"Nothing..." I answered. "Manager-nim, who's that?"

"Ah, that's Kim Sejeong. She's a singer and she's here shooting for her MV." She answered.

"Okay. Is the van here yet?" I asked.

"It'll be here in a few minutes." She answered again.

I nodded. I sighed as I watch the MV shoot. I looked at the girl at the center, lip-syncing...as memories flooded onto me...


"Okay, what do you want to write in your essay?" She asked me.

"Well...I want to write about my dream of being an actress." I answered.

She nodded, writing a draft on a separate sheet of paper. While doing that, I also wrote down some ideas, the paper filled with words that pop out of my head. As I cringe my forehead thinking of some words, I gasped as I saw a complete essay placed beside me.

"Here you go." She spoke. "That sums up the idea of you dream. You might want to read it."

I nodded as I did. As I read, I felt raw emotions on the words she wrote. All of them hit me in my conscience of my aspirations that I looked up at her in pure glee. "I love it! This is perfect!"

"Really?" She asked me and I gasped as she had my draft on her hand. "I see that you've wrapped up some ideas of your own. Let me read it!"

I whined as she read it out loud. I almost cussed in my head as I stormed towards her. She, in turn, ran away while reading my draft. 

"Yah, Kim Sejeong! Give it back!!" I yelped while reaching for it.

"Come on. I'm not done reading yet~!" She cooed.

I whined again but her hand was on my forehead, her eyes focused on reading my draft. I sighed and stopped fidgeting, only to see Sejeong finish reading. She faced me as she laughed with her uncle-like tone.

"What? It , isn't it?"

"What do you mean, it ?" Sejeong asked. "It's actually lovely. You should add some of your ideas to the essay I wrote."

"Really?" I asked, the gleam present in my eyes.

"Yeah." She winked.

***

Later on, I made my final essay and passed it along with my other classmates' work. Classes went on normally until it was time to go. I got to pack my stuff and went out of the classroom. On the way, I saw Sejeong with Nayoung and Chungha. I waved at them and Sejeong waved back, with Nayoung and Chungha following.

"Come over here!" Sejeong smiled as she calls me over.

I nodded lightly and went towards them. Nayoung and Chungha greeted me as Sejeong gave me a hi-five. 

"We're going to this new restaurant to eat. You should come with us, Chaeyeon," said Chungha.

"Yeah. It'll be fun," said Nayoung.

"I'd love to...but I have plans." I answered. "I'm studying for the exam tomorrow."

Nayoung and Chungha booed lightly. For Sejeong, she just smiled.

"On second thought, I'm skipping it. I might as well study for the exam too," Sejeong spoke.

"You're a killjoy, Sejeong." Nayoung batted. "Why should a genius like you study?"

I couldn't agree more. Kim Sejeong might be a bright, happy-go-lucky ahjusshi but she was nicknamed 'GOD' for two reasons: she was our first placer plus the best singer in the whole campus. She was admired by many and we were lucky to be her closest friends.

"I just want to." Sejeong answered. "I would engage you to do the same thing but I know that you have your own ways."

"True." Chungha smiled.

"We won't force you, Sejeong." Nayoung said, raising her hands up a bit. "So I guess we'll see you tomorrow."

Nayoung and Chungha wave goodbye to Sejeong and I. I went ahead when I felt a hold on hand. I looked back to see Sejeong smile lightly.

"Don't leave me behind, Chaeyeon. Let's go out the gate together." She said.

"Sure." I said lightly.

***

As we got out, we went towards the bus stop together. I could lower my head a little bit. I stole glances at Sejeong and she always gave me that smile. Deep inside, I felt my heart flutter in many levels. Sejeong makes my heart flutter in ways I can never explain.

"We're here." I came back to reality as we got to the bus stop and I heard Sejeong say it. "Sit down, Chaeyeon."

"O-Okay..." I nodded and we sat beside each other.

I was busy with my phone as I wait for the bus. Sejeong and I don't live in the same neighborhood. Usually, her bus arrives first so I was just chilling, resuming my game of Stone Age.

"Chaeyeon." I heard her and focused my attention on her.

"Yes, Sejeong?" I asked back.

"Isn't the sky lovely?" She asked as I looked at the sky with her.

I laugh on the inside. Sejeong was a smart and a poetic person. She's also very observant and takes consideration of every little thing, even the environment. She'd talk random stuff then comes up her deep lines depending on anything that she sees. Some people find it complex but for me, it was one intriguing thing that I like about her.

"It is lovely, Sejeong." I answered.

"I like it how the sky breaks into many colors..." Sejeong spoke.

"Like a palette of vibrant colors." I said back then we look at each other.

I gulped, gazing at her brown eyes. Then, they focus on her whole face. She gave me that ajusshi-like smile and I felt calm, safe even.

But then, some moments had to stop. Sejeong's bus was already here and I sighed for she had to go home. Before she climbed aboard, she pats my head. 

"See you tomorrow, Chaeyeon." She smiled.

"Okay." I smiled back. "See you."

She waved at me again. I watch the bus leave as I sighed, waiting for a bus home. 

I turn back time and recall that one request. Usually, I don't ask anyone for help in class, even with essays. I asked Sejeong and knew that she was always helpful. I felt privileged to get help from her in my essay. I was also thankful that she was also a close friend. And on this day, I was happy to walk with her outside towards the stop and had a little conversation of aesthetic beauty of the sky.

Such a feeling I'm having. It's another phase on my life that I will never forget.


"That's a wrap up!" I heard the Director say.

Sejeong sighed in relief as she bowed at the staff. She and her manager came in our direction as my manager went to greet Sejeong's manager. I just chuckled. Maybe they were the best of friends. My eyes dilated as my manager introduced me to her.

"Omo-it's such an honor to meet THE Jung Chaeyeon." She said and we shook my hands.

"Hehe...nice to meet you, manager-nim." I answered.

"Ah, this is-"

"Kim Sejeong." I interrupted her.

Sejeong gazed at me, her eyes wide. I smirked inside but I maintained the innocent look. "It's nice to meet you again, Sejeong."

"You know each other?" My manager asked me.

"Yeah. We were classmates before." I answered her.

"Nice to meet you too, Chaeyeon." She smiled at me.

I knew our managers and her would get awkward for my appraoch towards Sejeong. So...I had to divert the topic. "Manager-nim, is our van here?"

"Uh, yes. The driver's here." She answered.

"As much as we like to stay long, we need to go." I said again. "Nice meeting you again, Sejeong, Manager-nim."

I lent a hand to Sejeong. She hestitated to shake hands with me that I held her hand and shook them. I felt that flutter in my chest but I disregarded it and shook hands with her manager. I bid goodbye to the two of them as Manager-nim and I exitted the building. 

But before we could really go, I smiled at Sejeong. Sejeong noticed me...and she smiled sadly.

I couldn't blame her. I heard Manager-nim call me and I follow her to the van.