Loss and Photographs

How I See Myself in Five Years

Flashes of cameras and lights met my visions. Here I am in a photoshoot for a magazine. This was my life, a thing I cannot get away from, maybe...ever.

"Let's wrap it up!" The photographer spoke.

it was the iast of my schedules for this day. Manager-nim helped me off with my dress, together with the help of the stylists. I was thankful to Manager-nim. She was like a sister in which she always finds time to take care of me.

After that, I sat by the chairs. Manager-nim gave me a treat I didn't expect.

"You'll have to keep this between us, okay?" She said. "It's your favorite. Usually, I wouldn't let you eat anything aside from saltines for your snacks but you've worked hard, Chae. You deserve it."

I was happy. I ate the strawberry cake heartily. I am so thanking Manager-nim for this. Also, with me eating a delicious treat, I need to workout more so that Manager-nim won't get in serious trouble.

As I munch on my favorite treat, I saw a familiar person coming inside. I gulped. It was Sejeong and her manager.

"Omo-Chaeyeon~" Sejeong's manager greets us.

How in the world did we get this close? From what I heard from the manager, they were best friends for almost a decade. How I admire them for having their goal accomplished together as managers. With that, they call everyday plus she visits the dorm my manager and I share and takes care of me just like Manager-nim.

'What are you doing here, Manager-ssi?" I asked.

"Sejeong is doing a photoshoot for her album." She answered. "And before I forget, she wants to thank you for doing the collaboration on one of her songs. It's weird, though. She asked me to say it to you for her. It's a bit childish and ridiculous."

She laughed lightly then went to Sejeong, taking care of her. I sighed, remembering those words.

There was a reason for that...and I'm not going to dig unto that topic ever again.

***

Manager-nim and I were still at the studio. It turns out our van was used for Sajangnim's errands so we have to wait for it again. While waiting, I watch as Sejeong poses for the camera.

I smiled lightly as she posed beautifully. I remember that time we used to take pictures at school...


In the class, we were having our open forum for out sociology class. We were divided into groups of five. I was with Sejeong, Nayoung, Chungha, and Kyulkyung. There were times that Sejeong stole glances at me while Nayoung led the group and Chungha was doing her little speech.

I was flustered. I gave questionable looks at Sejeong for her actions. She answered my looks with another uncle-like smile, making me even more flustered.

"Sejeong, you're up." Nayoung said as Sejeong stood up.

"So...hey, guys. I'm Kim Sejeong, 18 years old. I was born on August 28, 1996. I'm from Gimje but moved here in Seoul to sutdy and to aspire of being a singer."

"Okay. What are your fears, Sejeong?" Nayoung asked.

"Now, let's see..." Sejeong mumbled as she thought then gave a little chuckle. "Losing someone...technically, loss." 

"Loss?" Nayoung wondered like the rest of us. "Why's that?"

"I intend to live a life that cannor require loss, whether a person or a thing, mostly a person. My rollercoaster of life can only be applied with emotional pain that does not involve loss. It's a thing I loathe." Sejeong answered.

"Okay. Does anyone what to speak about this?" Nayoung asked again.

I raised a hand, leaving everyone speechless, even Sejeong.

"Chaeyeon? Unexpected..." Nayoung spoke.

I stood up, huffed my breath, and made sure to hit Kim Sejeong right in her senses with the words I'm about to say. "Well, there will really be instances that we lose something or someone, no matter what the circumstances. And if it scares you, I suggest you should be responsible enough, courageous enough, and even prioritize enough of the people and things that matter to you. God knows and that's what any typical person would do."

I sat down, watching Chungha and Kyulkyung's priceless looks. Nayoung huffed for a Stone as Sejeong maintained a stoic look.

"Well...that's some pretty good advice." Nayoung commented, giving me a thumbs-up.

Then, she starts conversing how good this is for all of us. She said that it was a good way to release all emotions and initiate a better understanding among peers. I couldn't agree more. I look at Sejeong again and she gives me her third uncle-like smile.

And at this point, I smile back at her.

***

Classes ended again as the five of us went to the exit. The three went on the other way, waving at Sejeong and I. I waved back and froze when Sejeong held my hand.

"Come on. Let's go." She said.

I could ony nod, my little footsteps doing their all to keep up to Sejeong until we reach the bus stop. We sat by our spot as I look upon the sea of students heading back to the palce where they belong.

I could chuckle as some waddled like penguins while other walked casually. I sighed and faced Sejeong who was already looking intently at me. I wondered what and she just gave me a chuckle.

"What?" I asked her.

"Nothing." Sejeong answered. "You just...you look beautiful, Chaeyeon."

I chuckled again. "I'm not beautiful..."

"Aish." Sejeong spoke with her ahjusshi tone and she pats my back. "You are. And you're not bickering back."

I sighed and didn't comment back. I just chuckled as I gaze on the passing vehicles this time.

"We should watch a movie...or take pictures." Sejeong spoke and I felt her arms around my shoulders.

"What is this, Sejeong? Are you asking me out?" I asked all of a sudden.

"Is that it? Because maybe I am." Sejeong answered.

I was befuddled. I couldn't stop chuckling of Sejeong's corny behavior. I can't believe this ahjusshi is flirting with me. But with her sudden sort-of offer, my chest was getting all tingly again. And what's worse that could happen if I say yes?

"Okay." I nodded. "We could do both this weekend-"

"No. I mean now." Sejeong interrupted.

"Hey, we have a quiz tomorrow. And besides, you could do something weird to me." I answered.

"What?" Sejeong asked and she laughed, making me laugh lightly. "There's always that possibility, huh?"

We chuckled when Sejeong's bus came again. We both bid goodbyes as Sejeong stood up and went to climb aboard...but before she could...

"Saturday. I'll text you then." Sejeong spoke and I could only nod.

***

The weekends came quickly. I was getting ready just in time for Sejeong to send me a message.

-I'm here at the door of your home. Where are you, Chae?-

I was all ready. I grabbed my little duffel bag and went down, seeing Eomma having a little talk with Sejeong. I went closer as Eomma went to hug me and fix me up.

"Uhh...see you later, Eomma." I spoke.

"Alright. Have fun, you two." She said.

Sejeong and I went out together, waving lightly at Eomma before we could actually go.

***

Sejeong brought her car along and here I am, holding onto the top railing for dear life. I gulped as Sejeong apologized for her bad driving.

"Mind me for my driving. I made mistakes during my four tries and honestly, the fourth trial is almost identical to this." Sejeong said.

I laughed then my eyes dilate when Sejeong drove fast, hitting the trash bins as she parks her vehicle just by her home. I huffed in relief, happy that I still lived.

I unbuckle my seatbelt as she got out first, then opened the door for me. I was getting wobbly that she helped me up.

"Omo-are you okay?" She asked me. "I apologize. Maybe we should take a taxi next time."

"I'm fine, I'm fine..." I nodded, trying to get my composure straight.

I was back to my feet yet Sejeong continued to be at my side until we got inside. I saw certificates by the walls and I wowed for Sejeong's acheivements. 

"Mind that, Chae. Eomma puts them up for inspiration, really." She cooed. "Eomma~!"

Her mother came in and was obliged to meet me and to see her daughter. "Sejeong-ah! Chaeyeon-ah~!"

"Annyeonghaseyo, imonim. How are you?" I greeted.

"I've been great!" Her mother replied. "I made some snacks for you movie marathon. I'll send them down later."

"Okay, Eomma. We'll be in my room!" Sejeong said, pulling me lightly.

***

We went down a basement and I wowed of Sejeong's room. I never thought the genius and tranquil Kim Sejeong had such a...well...a very God-themed room.

"Welcome to the world of God Kim Sejeong." She said.

"Do you have a chair I could sit? I need to sit down for a second." I said, huffing.

I sat by her couch and I huffed, a hand on my forehead. I felt a hand on my shoulders and looked up to see Sejeong giving me a worried look. 

"Hey, are you okay?"

"I'm fine..." I answered, my breathing getting stable again. "It's just...the ride...gave me palpitations, making my chest hurt a bit."

"I apologize for that. Let me fetch a taxi later." Sejeong answered.

I nodded as I relieve myself. I look at Sejeong, her face all scrunched up, giving me such worry. I look at her again and said: "I'm fine, Sejeong, really..."

"Okay..." She sighed in relief then wrapped an arm around me. "So, tell me about yourself, Chae. Aside from your aspiration of being an actress, tell me more of your hobbies or your interests."

"What more do you need to know? We've been friends since junior high." I said.

"But I've never known much of your interest, Chae. Come on, tell me one thing that pops out of your head, something that you like." Sejeong said again.

"Hmmm...photography." I answered.

Photography has been my second hobby next to skating. I like its essence because it's beauty in photo paper. You picture out things in your head and you give aesthetic beauty. But the main reason for that is you get a camera, picture a beauty of nature or any surrounding, and you develop a photo not only you can see, but everybody can see.

"Cool. I like photography too." Sejeong spoke that made me jump off the edge of the couch.

"Really?" I asked.

"Really." She smiled as she stood up. "Let me show you something."

She pulled me up and we went towards her wadrobe. I wonder what will she show me plus my heart was beating fast again.

Sejeong opened the door and I gasped of what she showed me. I thought it was a wardrobe full of her clothes but it's actually a closet full of cameras. She grabbed one, a cute pink one, in which I adored, and handed it to me. "Take it, Chae."

My mind shut down for a moment. Did I hear it right? Is she really giving me her camera?

"Are you sure, Sejeong?" I asked her again.

"I'm sure. I have another one like this and I was hoping to sell it. But when you said you like photography, I decided to give it to you," Sejeong said nonchalantly. "I'm sure of it, Chae. You can take it. Take it as my gift for you."

I was still shocked. Then again, my hands accepted Sejeong's very thoughtful gift. I was still shy and flustered I couldn't thank Sejeong enough. "Sejeong...why are you...it's not even my birthday..."

Sejeong just shrugged at me yet she pats my back. "I don't mind, Chae. I just want to."

I couldn't thank her enough that I could only tackle her for a hug. "Thanks, Sejeongie."

I hugged her longer than expected. I would've thought she looked flustered but as I felt her hug me back, I was happy.

As we let go of our hugs, we took pictures with the camera she gave me. I hung out with Sejeong the whole day, spending most of the time taking pictures. We shared such wonderful memories on that day. It was one thing I could never forget.

If only we could do that again...


"Come on, Chae. Our van's here." I heard Manager-nim.

I nodded, got my little duffel bag and followed her out. Suddenly, an even hit me that I grabbed Manager-nim's hand before we could go. "Manager-nim, does Sejeong and her manager know about the party we're having at the club?"

"Omo-I almost forgot to tell them. Invite them, Chae."

I nodded and went to where Sejeong and her manager were at. As I got there, Sejeong's manager was talking on the phone. I would've talked to Sejeong but I feel uncomfortable. I don't want to.

"Come on, Chae! We need to leave this instant." I heard Manager-nim.

I have no choice. I went closer to Sejeong, nudging her. "Sejeong?"

"Yes, Chaeyeon? What is it?" She asked back.

"Well..." I began. "We're going out clubbing this weekend. I was wondering if you wanted to join us."

I could only look down. I gulped as I felt my heart beat fast again. I felt a pat on my back and looked up to see Sejeong's manager.

"We'll be there, Chae." She said.

"Okay." Sejeong nodded too. "And I think your manager's calling you so...see you, Chaeyeon."

"See you Manager-nim." I waved then looked intently at Sejeong. "See you, Sejeongie."

I ran hastily towards Manager-nim as we exit the studio. I was oogling again. Although I reminded myself before not to get into such feelings again, I couldn't stop.

I'm oogling at Sejeong again...and I'm excited to see her at the club soon...

 

 

 

That was Ch3, everyone. Stay tuned for more updates...