Mysterious giver

Mina and Sana drabbles

In which Mina is a CEO and Sana is her secretary.


 

Monday mornings are never the best mornings of the week. No one really feels up for a day at work and Sana isn't excluded. She is only awake and functional after a nice cup of hot coffee from the office pantry.

Greeting her fellow colleagues, she sat down in her cubicle outside the CEO's office. She has been the secretary of Myoui Mina, CEO of KCP Media for about three months now. Some might say it's stressful working for the CEO of such a big company and other's might say she's lucky to have such an opportunity but Sana thinks she's just lucky that her boss is a great person.

She was about to go to the pantry when she notice a small bite sized cookie placed on a small napkin beside a cup of steaming hot, freshly brewed coffee. Puzzled, she looked around to see who left it there but everyone had their heads buried in their work and only the sound of keyboard clicking could be heard.

There was no note or whatsoever left by the person who gave this little gift but Sana was thankful. She made a mental note to find out who it was and thank him or her.

Sipping on her coffee, she began looking through her e-mails for the day.

She had just sent a reply when the intercom rang.

'How may I help you Ms. Myoui?' She said gently into the phone.

'Could you come to my office? There are some files for you to double check.' The lady replied after a second of silence.

'Right away.' The dark hair girl hung up and walked to the office. Rapping her knuckles on the door, she heard a soft 'come in'.

Mina's office was always neat and tidy. Files and books were always in alphabetical order on the shelves, papers were in neat piles and nothing ever seems to be out of place except for a penguin plush sitting next to her nameplate which Sana found it to be very amusing since people usually thought of CEOs as strict and stoic people.

'Some files for me?' Sana peeped her head in before stepping through the door and closing it behind her.

'Yes. I already signed them. Just need you to go through them once more for me.' Mina pointed at a stack of thin files by the edge of her desk with the tip of her pen.

'Sure. I'll be going now then.' Sana took the files and bowed.

'Thank you Sana.'

 


 

'Hey.' A voice floated over the cubicle wall. Sana looked up to see Jeongyeon leaning over the top of the flimsy wall.

'I'll laugh if that breaks and you fall over.' Sana said and resumed her typing.

'You're no fun.' Jeongyeon disappeared but reappeared, this time rolling into the secretary's cubicle on her swivel chair.

'Have you heard?'

'About your chronic procrastination?'

'No, about the new kid from the HR department.' The older girl rolled her eyes.

'What about the new kid?'

'Rumours say she has a crush on you.'

'Seriously now.' Sana deadpanned and leaned back into her chair, pushing herself away from her laptop.

'Yeah. Kim Dahyun. Just an intern but it seems you have somehow charmed her.'

'What did I ever do to her?' Sana asked, cocking an eyebrow, trying to recall what she did. 'I just went to the HR team to pass them a folder?'

'Exactly that. When she saw you, it was love at first sight.' Jeongyeon slung an arm over Sana's shoulder and moved her hand in a semicircle.

'I don't even know what she looks like. Kim Dahyun.. The one with orange hair?' Sana guessed and the girl snapped her fingers.

'Yes! That one! See, you know!' Jeongyeon grinned.

'It was a wild guess. Is hair like that even acceptable..' Sana frowned and wheeled back to her laptop.

'I dunno. Intern benefits I guess.'

'Yeah yeah. Well, unlike you, I actually want to get my work done so shoo. Go continue your office gossip somewhere else.' the secretary waved Jeongyeon off and the girl pouted before wheeling back to the other side of the cubicle.

 

~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~

 

Over the next few days, a similar bite sized cookie would be placed on Sana's desk along with another small item. The flavour of the cookie would change from day to day too.

Sana realized that on Mondays and Fridays it would be chocolate chip. Tuesdays would be peanut butter, Wednesdays would butterscotch and Thursdays would be vanilla.

She had also accumulated a pile of mini gifts which she kept in her first drawer, safely locked up. From little squirrel finger puppets to post-it notes that cheered her on, she kept them all as a token. Her most favourite gift was a personalized nameplate; Minatozaki Sana in a pretty cursive font and Secretary in a smaller print in the same cursive just under the name along with two acorns on each side. She displayed it proudly at the top of her cubicle.

However, there was one mystery that was yet to be solved. All these gifts and notes but she still hasn't found the person behind these. She had asked around the office but everyone said they had seen it there when they arrived. It couldn't be Dahyun because the girl had transferred to another level a few days ago, so who could it be?

Pushing her thoughts aside, she slotted the last set of documents into a folder before gathering the rest and proceeding to the meeting room to hand them out. There would be a meeting in about half an hours’ time so Sana would ready the material and get the tea lady to prepare some tea of Mina's choice later on.

'The materials are ready in the room Ms. Myoui.'

'That's quick. Thanks.' Mina said, looking at the clock on the wall. 'Wait.' She called out to Sana who was about to leave the room.

'Yes?'

'I.. Heard there has been someone placing gifts on your desk every morning.' Mina started and Sana looked a little surprised.

'Oh you heard about that.'

'Yes. Sometimes I don't know if I'm paying them to work or to chit chat.' Mina scratched her eyebrow and Sana chuckled.

'Do you happen to know who it is?' The CEO asked.

'I'm still trying to find out but no one seems to have seen the person. But rest assured, I won't let it affect my work.' Sana quickly added.

'Oh no, I'm not concerned about that.. I mean your work performance has always been outstanding so I know you wouldn't slip up.' Mina explained after seeing Sana's confused look.

'If I may ask you this, do you happen to know who it is?'

'I think I do. I’ve seen a lady walk by your desk every morning to drop off something but I never paid attention.'

'A lady?'

'Yes.. Does that.. Put you off?'

'No no, not at all. Just thought it would be the stereotypical guy that does that. I think it's sweet that she would do this..' Sana thought aloud.

'I see.. Oh, I should probably get going now.' Mina's eyes widened at the clock.

'Please do, sorry for holding you up. I didn't realize we had been talking for so long.'

'No worries. It was pleasant. And please, just call me Mina. Ms makes me sound a little unapproachable and stiff. I'd like to be friends with my secretary y'know?'

'Ah well..'

'You never thought of me as a friend?' Mina gave an amused smile as she gathered her documents and put on her blazer.

'I-I do! I just thought that professionalism was important.' Sana blushed a little.

'It isn't important if you're working for me. Lighten up.' Mina smiled and walked to the door, patting Sana's shoulder as she walked out.

 


 

The cookies were still in constant supply as Sana began to feel more comfortable and less stuffy around Mina. Mina never really made her feel scared but she always thought that she should remain uptight because of her status. After that day, she began to lighten up just as Mina advised her to and sure enough, they actually clicked really well as good friends.

What an unimaginable friendship this is, Sana thought. A boss and her secretary are never thought to be on such friendly terms because business is always business but since this was Mina they were talking about, their friendship was probably something out of the norm. Not that Sana minded.

Today was a Friday and Sana was looking forward to spending her weekend relaxing at home.

She had expected to see the same chocolate chip cookie on her desk but this time there was none, save for a single post-it note. Puzzled, she picked it up and read the neatly written words.

If you want to know who I am, meet me on the rooftop at 5 pm

5 pm? That was an hour before office hours ended. Normally she would have many questions about this single note but the curiosity regarding the identity of this mysterious lady was killing her so she decided she would do as the note said.

She placed the note along with the other post-it into the drawer and began her day.

 

~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~

 

5 pm couldn't have come any slower. Sana was at the edge of her seat the whole day, tapping her feet and spinning her pen. The suspense was killing her and every second seemed to make her more jumpy.

The moment the minute hand reached 4:55 pm, she had shot up from her seat, grabbed her phone and walked out of the office to the elevator.

It only took two minutes to get there so Sana used the other three minutes to calm her jitters.

She heard the rooftop door open and she looked at the frosted glass door. She could see a lady in black heels and a black dress that cut off a little above the knee.

What. On. Earth.

Sana's mind was blank. It was like her brain melted into a puddle of mush.

There was Mina, half way through the door with a very nervous look, something Sana hadn't seen before. Mina had always looked sure of herself and the things she do so she must feel really small right now. Her boss was tugging at the cuffs of her long sleeves while her eyes were big and looking at Sana.

Sana didn't know what to say. Yes, she admits she does have a teeny weeny crush on Mina but she had to shove it aside for her work ethics. Life doesn't work like movies. Or so she thought.

She liked the penguin plush beside her nameplate, she liked how Mina would lean over the wall to talk to her personally sometimes rather than use the intercom and she is grateful for the times that Mina defended her from the lecherous roaming eyes of some stakeholders that they have meetings with. Come to think of it, Mina has always been protective of Sana. She never let her go meet investors or business partners alone; instead, she would go along with her, something most bosses don't do. Mina would also give her the day off on her birthday and mark it as a unofficial leave.

The realization dawned on Sana and her eyes widened. All the little things were signs. Mina had never scolded her or found fault in her but she would always appear in her office for a multitude of reasons.

'Uhm..' Mina said so softly that Sana only knew what she said from reading her lips. Mina kicked the invisible pebbles on the ground and fidgeted for a bit more before her shoulders slumped. Sana knew she was waiting for her to say something but Sana had no idea what to say.

'Forget it. This is harassment. Pretend this never happened.' Mina whispered and slipped back through the door which clicked shut.

Sana blinked as the words processed in her mind.

Wait no. This wasn't what was supposed to happen.

Her legs began to move as if they had a mind of their own, breaking from a walk into a run. Thankfully she didn't trip running in heels despite being clumsy.

Sana quickly ran into the lift lobby where she saw Mina step into a lift. She scuttled over to the lift and stepped in just as the door closed.

Mina had her head down and her hair was covering her face but Sana heard a soft sniffle and she knew something wasn't right.

'I'm sorry.' Sana said.

'It's okay.' Her boss croaked.

'Please don't cry.'

Mina didn't respond. Sana hesitated but pulled the girl into a hug. Mina buried her face into Sana's shoulder and the girl felt so guilty.

'Forget about it okay? Sorry for.. Creeping you out.' Mina said, voice muffled by Sana's shoulder.

'Wait, forget what? Why?'

'Did you not just reject me?' Mina said bitterly.

'What? No! No I didn't! You ran off before I could process everything!' Sana laughed.

'Then what are you apologizing for?'

'For taking so long to react.'

'Oh.'

The lift dinged and the doors opened at their floor but Sana quickly jabbed the button to go back up to the roof and the door closed again.

'Please, continue what you had planned to do.' Sana patted Mina's back.

Mina looked at Sana with red and slightly puffy eyes. How could she still look so good after crying?

She watched as the girl reach into her dress pocket and pull out a tiny paper flower with a ring hanging on the leaf.

'So.' Mina cleared . 'I'm the one who was leaving the cookies. Hope you liked them.'

'I like them a lot, thank you.' Sana smiled.

'Yea.. So.. I-I.. I like you.' Mina stuttered out, dazzled by Sana's smile. Her hand jerked forward and presented the flower to Sana who took it with an amused smile. This was the first time she had seen her boss so flustered and honestly it was really, really cute.

'Did you fold this?' Sana asked as she looked at the flower.

Mina nodded and took the ring off the leaf.

'May I?'

Sana nodded and Mina took her hand, gently slipping it onto her ring finger. Sana could help but note how soft and smooth Mina's hands were.

'This is really pretty. Thank you.' Sana smiled at the ring and paper flower.

'Y-you're welcome. Oh! And uh.. I hope that you won't feel awkward at work.'

'Why?'

'Because we're d-dating and all.' Mina dipped her head.

'Well since you think that my work performance is never under par, I'm sure nothing will change.'

'Mmhm.. Also I don't think the others should know.. I don't want them to think you're.. y'know. Doing this for personal gain if you know what I mean.'

'Okay I won't tell but I don't think we can keep it under wraps.'

'Oh I mean from the other levels. I'm perfectly fine with our slackers. In fact I'm pretty sure I heard even the youngest making a bet with the oldest the other day about us.' Mina rolled her eyes.

'And you thought the oldest would be more mature about it.' Sana laughed.

'At least they work hard when they're supposed to.' Mina scratched her head.

'Do I still get a cookie every morning, Ms. Myoui?' Sana said breathily as she stepped closer to Mina who took a step back but bumped into the lobby door.

'If you want to.'

'I think I should repay you for all those little knick-knacks.'

'Oh no no you don't have to! I-'

Sana boldly leaned forward and crashed her lips into Mina's. Her guess was right, Mina's lips were soft.

The CEO almost dropped to the floor from her buckled knees if it wasn't for Sana who had a gentle hand cupping her cheek. That was probably the only tether that prevented her soul from leaving her body.

'Wow.' Mina exhaled when Sana pulled away.

'You didn't think I would be giving you money would you? I mean, you're my boss. You're probably rich as hell and can dock it from my pay.' Sana chuckled and laced her fingers with Mina's, pulling the girl back into the lift lobby and pressed the down button.

'I could never do that..'

'You shouldn't be doing that.' Sana shot an amused smile. 'Please don't forget you're the CEO.'

'I won't.' Mina stomped her foot.

'A cute CEO.'

'A cute CEO that belongs to her even cuter secretary.'

'What a smooth talker.'

'Of course. That's how I secure deals.' Mina grinned.

They stepped into the office hand in hand and immediately there was a scream.

'Oh my god! Is that real!' Jeongyeon screamed and five other heads popped out from their cubicles.

'Yoo Jeongyeon. Keep it down.' Mina hissed and stepped towards her, raising a fist.

'Oh right, it's supposed to be a secret. My bad.' She gave a lop sided smile.

'This ostrich.' Nayeon shook her head.

'Hey I heard that!'

'You were supposed to! Tzuyu!'

'Fine!' The tallest girl groaned and a roll of money could be seen flying through the air and it hit Nayeon in the head. The girl picked it up without complaining and began to count the crisp notes.

'Sometimes I wonder why I haven't fired you guys yet.' Mina shook her head in disbelief at the money that was being passed around.

'You gotta admit it boss, you still love us.'

'I wonder why I do.' Mina planted a kiss on Sana's cheek that earned the whoops and cheers of everyone before ducking into her office in embarrassment.