Photographs

Mina and Sana drabbles

In which Mina is the photographer for the university's magazine and she manages to capture the best picture in her entire career.


 

'Myoui Mina!' A loud voice bellow and I look up from my camera. Yikes.

'Yes?' I asked as lightly as I could.

'I'm pretty sure you owe me something.' The photography club's president stared at me intensely with her hands on her hips.

'A drink? A meal? Ah was it some tteokbokki?' I said in an attempt to change the topic.

'The picture. Mina.' She said with gritted teeth and her stare intensified. I gulped. 'You said you would give it to me last week! And where is it? I don't see it! It's just a couple of pictures Mina; you don't even need to spend too much effort! I even cut it down to a mere five pictures from you!'

'Nayeon, relax. I got this okay? I'll give them to you in... An hour and a half. I swear.' I glanced at the clock.

'You said it. I'm coming after you if I don't get it because this whole thing is due by 5!' Nayeon hissed and stormed out of the club room. Well . What am I supposed to photograph in 1.5 hours?

The room door opened again and I braced myself to get yelled at but it was just Jihyo.

'What did you do now?' Jihyo asked as if it was the most normal thing and honestly, it was.

'I owe your girlfriend 5 pictures for her magazine and I have no idea what to photograph.' I said sheepishly.

'You're really a special one Mina. I've never seen photographers like you. Usually they would have their pictures in way before the prez even hunts them for it but you...' Jihyo trailed off and just shook her head with a smile, giving me a thumb up.

'I know, I know.'

'You're the best photographer in the school but also the laziest. All your shots are just on a whole other level as compared to the other members. You're like a lazy genius.' Jihyo sat leaned over the meeting table.

'Thanks.'

'I meant that as a compliment. You know, Nayeon could easily switch you and get the pictures from another dude but she didn't. She really respects you because you have skills that surpass hers and she looks up to you for that.' Jihyo walks around and stops behind me, rubbing my shoulders. 'Just go around campus. You should be able to find something.' She said before patting my head and walking towards the door.

'Thanks buddy.' I smiled.

'No problem.'


~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~


'Mina!'

'Mina sunbae!'

'Oh my gosh, hey!'

Did I mention I was really popular with the student body? Maybe I forgot that bit. I smiled and nodded politely, returning their greetings as I walked past with my camera in hand and strap around my neck. This camera costed a bomb and if I ruin it, I'm so going to get my head chopped off.

'Mina sunbae, are you out here taking pictures?' One of the girls asked as she walked beside me, a little too close for my liking but I couldn't be rude so I just smiled and inched away a little.

'Yes I am.'

'Do you need me to model for your shots? I'm really good at it. My Instagram is my resume.' She said and shoved her phone in my face. I looked sceptically at her pictures which consisted of many selfies which were obviously touched up and I forced myself to smile.

'It's really okay.' I said kindly.

'But the school's magazine isn't complete without a photograph of a model.' She insisted.

'Tell you what, I'll come back and find you if I need a model okay?' I said and she nodded way too enthusiastically while I made my escape.

'Why would I ever need a model anyway?' I mumbled under my breath as I made my way to the garden. Scenery and flowers were my favourite subjects. They were still which made them easy to photograph and every day they would change but somehow still remain as breath taking as always.

I knelt down on the grass as I looked into the view finder. This pink rose was really stunning. Its colour was most vibrant at the centre, becoming softer as it reached the edges. The gardener must have just watered them because there were still a couple of water droplets on the leaves, making the rose even more stunning. I focused on the flower and held my hand steady before pressing down on the shutter button.

Pulling back, I looked at my own work.

'Beautiful.' I grinned to myself before standing up and moving to another location. 1 down, 4 to go.

I walked outside and decided to get a shot of the sky. The clouds were perfect today, white and fluffy against the baby blue sky.

I decided to get two shots indoors and stepped into the main building. The sun was filtering through the glass ceiling and I raised my camera to get a shot but someone bumped into me and my hand jerked.

'I'm so sorry.' I looked down to see a redhead. 'Oh my gosh, I just had to bump into the most popular girls in school. I'm really sorry.'

'Don't sweat it. The camera didn't drop or anything so it's fine. I can always get another shot.' I smiled and her eyebrows furrowed in apology.

'Kim Dahyun, art major. Would you like to go over to the art department and get a few pictures?' She offered.

'Sure, I'd love to.'

She led me into the art building and as expected, the walls were very... artistic. Splashes of colour decorated the white walls and paintings hung along the corridors to the multiple studios.

'You could get a shot here. This would be nice but it's up to you. You're the professional here.'

I looked into the room which seems to be their storage room for the older paintings.

'No, this would be perfect. To express age, modesty and... And...' My eyebrows knitted together and I squinted a little, moving my hand in a circular motion as I tried to find the word to describe it. 'Artsy.' I concluded with a laugh before I looked through the view finder again.

'This is like art depicting art. Photography is art and paintings are art so it's like art in art.' Dahyun rambled behind me as I the shutters clicked.

'Nice analogy you got there. Thanks, I'll be going off now if you don't mind.' I smiled and nodded my head in gratitude but she held up a hand.

'Wait.'

'Yes?'

'Can I get an autograph?' She grinned and I laughed but took the sharpie from her anyway. She pulled out her sketchbook and handed it to me.

'You students act as if I'm a celebrity but I'm really just your senior.' I chuckled as I signed on the cover of her sketchbook.

'You are a celebrity to us. Thank you!' She chirped as I walked off.

I took the shot of the glaring sun through the glass roof on my way out of the building for my fourth shot.

I fished my phone out of my back pocket and checked the time but almost got a shock. I only had 30 minutes left? But I only took a couple of pictures! I guess what they say was right, time flies when you're having fun.

Where am I supposed to get my last shot? That girl was definitely not an option but she was right, there had to be at least one picture of an actual living thing that isn't a flower.

The business department! They had loads of good looking people so I would definitely find something there.

I plaster a smile on my face as I walked through the doors. Students in suits and dresses greeted me which was the reason for me just smiling as a standard reaction to all of them.

Combing through the building, there was no one that seemed to be up to par with my standards of beauty or charm so I left.

Fifteen minutes. Maybe I should just take a picture of Nayeon and submit my work.

I walked past the common area and saw the same girl from before. My eyes widened and I quickly spun around and walked off. I had no time to be harassed by some chick who thinks she can model.

Just as I walked past the outdoor benches, the most beautiful sight caught my eye and I instantly raised my camera, aiming it at the gorgeous girl and snapped a picture. Checking my shot, I was totally captivated by her beauty.

The sun was reflecting off her hair so perfectly I just had to take a picture. In the picture, the beauty of her side profile was captured perfectly. She was simply sitting on one of the benches reading a book, how could she look like a goddess? I had no idea. Maybe I should have paid more attention to my surroundings rather than to ogle at the girl because a hand landed on my shoulder and I almost yelled in shock.

'Mina sunbae, are you looking for models? Does your offer still stand? I can substitute.' The girl blinked at me and I back peddled.

'Ah, it's okay. I already got the five pictures I needed.'

'You can't submit six? Your photography skills are really great; you should publish more than just five.' She tried to entice me but it wasn't really working.

My photography skills are perfect but you're not the perfect subject to be photographed, I thought to myself with a forced grin on my face.

'Sorry, my prez said five so five is all you will see in the magazine.'

'Can I put in a word for you to the club's president?'

'Oh my, look at the time; I really have to go because these need to be in in like three minutes!' I exclaimed in shock when I checked the time and ran off without saying goodbye.

I sprinted across the courtyard and waved through the multiple students.

'I got your pictures!' I slammed the door of Nayeon's office open.

'Don't break my door! That's school property and I can't afford it!' She hissed as I stepped in.

I ejected the SD card and handed it to her.

'My job is done.' I grinned and left the room.

 

 

 

'The most popular photo was of that girl. The whole student body voted that as the best photo of this week. Care to explain where you found such a beauty?' Nayeon asked as I played around with the camera functions.

'I don't know really, I just saw her sitting outside and snapped a picture.' I shrugged as I zoomed into Nayeon's face.

'Well whatever. You did a great job. See, you could have done it in like two hours so why did you have to even put that on your inexistent queue list for a week?' Nayeon rolled her eyes and I took a picture.

'I procrastinate. Your girlfriend called me a lazy genius anyway.' I snickered as I looked at the picture.

'Did you just take a derp picture of me?' Nayeon asked and I turned the camera around. 'You little-'

'For keepsake. Unless you want to publish this next week.' I laughed hysterically at the picture of her zoomed in face, eyes rolled up to show her whites.

'Ugh. I don't know why I deal with you.' She flipped her hair and left the room. I decided to take a walk around campus in hopes of catching another glimpse of that mesmerizing beauty.

'Mina sunbae!'

'Dear lord.' I groaned to myself as I saw the girl approach me.

'Who was that girl? Was that why you didn't come to me?' She demanded to know.

'I don't know; I just took that picture like two seconds before you tapped me on the shoulder.'

'Hmpf.' she huffed and stormed off.

'Don't blame me for being slow yourself.' I grumbled and shoved my hands into the pockets of my hoodie.

The sky was cloudy today which made the sun a little less intense.

‘Excuse me?’ I heard a soft voice call out from behind me. I turned around and came face to face with a goddess. The goddess I took a picture of.

Well damn I’m in trouble.

‘Y-yes?’ I stuttered nervously with my signature grin.

‘You’re Mina right? The famous photographer?’ she looked at me and my eyebrows knitted together slightly as my grin widened.

‘Yes? How may I help you?’

‘I was going to ask about the photograph you took actually. The photograph of me.’ She said, getting straight to the point.

‘Okay, before you sue me for disrespecting you and taking photos without consent, I’m sorry. I was in a rush that day and I had one more picture due and you were just there with the sun shining perfectly onto your perfect hair and you were so dazzling I just had to take a picture. If you want it removed I can just talk to my president.’ I explained. ‘But then again it wouldn’t be much use since almost the entire student body has seen it.’ I added before she could say anything. ‘Could I compensate you in anyway?’

‘You’re willing to?’ she asked, clearly surprised.

‘Of course. I mean, I’m in the wrong here so…’ I shifted my weight to my left foot as I kicked the ground with my right.

‘You can compensate me by being my friend.’ She said and I looked up.

‘Friend? Just like that?’

‘Yeah. Why? Did you think I would ask for money or something? I’m not that kind of person you know.’

‘I wouldn’t know since I don’t know you. But I guess I will now.’ My lips curved into a genuine smile.

‘You already know my name so…’

‘Sana. Minatozaki Sana.’ She said with a smile. Oh how I wish my camera was with me so I could capture this magnificent sight.

Then again maybe I didn’t need a camera. A mental photograph was all I need.