The Rescue (I)

Operation Chrome

They dragged her out of her bedroom while she was trying to draw. She tried calling out for Tiffany but to no avail.

She was just getting ready for bed when she heard a commotion on her balcony. Taeyeon had foolishly thought it was Tiffany climbing the tree again to say goodnight to her so she excitedly wheeled herself to the balcony. However, her smile dimmed once she saw what she saw. Two masked men, dressed in stealth black and holding onto blades that were sharp enough to kill. Her heart started pounding. She wanted to scream but found constricting and she struggled to breathe. She whimpered as the men inched closer to her. 

"Hush now, baby duck. Keep quiet or we will not hesitate to kill you."

The taller of the pair grabbed her up harshly from her wheelchair and put her over his shoulders. She tried to push the man away with her arms but to no avail. 

"Better gag your pretty mouth before you start making noises." The smaller of the pair stuffed a sock into and threw her into the back of a rusty, old truck before driving away.


Those guys were far too strong for a useless crippled girl like her. They didn't even bother to tie her up. They just threw her onto a dusty old crouch in a room that was cold, dark and foreign. She had no idea where she was. She could not stop trembling. She squeezed the hem of her pajamas as she tried to calm herself down.

Tiffany will come for me. Tiffany will rescue me.

==

"Mr Kim, I have uploaded a software into your phone which allows us to precisely track your whereabouts. However, there is a chance that the kidnappers might have caught on to us and have you get rid of the phone." Yuri said as she handed over the phone to the man.

"What should I do when that happens?" The man asked. He looked every bit like a jaded father and not the feared underworld boss who has been supplying weapons to the North Koreans.

"Nothing. Just pass them the phone as instructed. It is meant to be a smokescreen. The real tracking device..." Tiffany replied, gesturing to Yuri to come over. "...will be swallowed by you."

"What!"

"Relax, Mr Kim. We are not going to kill you. It is a microchip can be swallowed. It is soluble so it would dissolve on its own by your stomach's acid after a week."

"How do I know that it is not going to kill me?'

Tiffany sighed. This tiger sure is paranoid.

"Well, I can swallow this myself just to prove it to you." She took the capsule from Yuri and swallowed it. "Yuri, please programme another capsule for Mr Kim. Mr Kim, my main goal here at this time is to be rescue Miss Kim. I am not here to play games with you."

The man nodded. "True, I trust that you wouldn't harm me. After all, I have instructed my people in the States to standby. Just in case, something happens to me."

The man's cryptic message was immediately understood by Tiffany. If you play any games with me, your parents would be in immediate danger.

Tiffany didn't even bother to dignify that with a response.

==

At the outset, it was clear to everyone involved that this was a very unusual kidnapping. No ransom, only a demand for a USB drive. Tiffany knew that there was more to it. There was definitely something very important inside the drive. So important that the kidnappers would go the lengths of kidnapping the only daughter of one of Korea's richest man.

Tiffany knew she had to stay focus and be on her A-game. She couldn't afford to let herself be distracted. Not even by her parents. Such was the nature of her job.

They converted one of the many rooms in the Kim mansion into a war room. The war room, which had earlier been buzzing with activity, had calmed down slightly after the earlier scramble to get Mr Kim ready. 

Tiffany took this calm before the storm to calm herself down. She gulped her fourth cup of double shot espresso of the day as she tried to stay awake. She liked her coffee black and strong. Unlike her client who had the sweetest tooth known to mankind. Taeyeon... She wondered what her client was doing now. She could only hope that her client would hold on until she arrived. 


"Unnie...do you want to take a power nap first? There is still another hour until Mr Kim is due to leave for his rendezvous with the kidnappers. "You haven't slept for the past 24 hours." Yuri asked.

The agent shook her head. "I am not tired. If I go for a short nap now, I would wake up even more tired than before. Have you asked Seohyun to sort everything out?"

"Yes, Unnie. Everything is in place." Tiffany had asked Yuri to reach out to Seohyun, who was the only person in HQ that she could trust. She could no longer trust her long-time supervisor, Minhyuk. Not after her discovery that he had been covertly working with Kim Bongsu.

==

The plan was for Kim Bongsu to drive himself to the meeting point, which was supposed to be a helipad of a five-star hotel in Seoul. One of the Kim's own security staff would trail behind his car, presumably to follow him. Tiffany had earlier decided that neither her nor her agents would follow Kim Bongsu. This was meant to be yet another smokescreen. Given the ease in which they had pulled off the kidnapping of her client, Tiffany knew that the kidnappers were highly seasoned experts and would have likely anticipated someone to be following Kim Bongsu to the meeting point. She guessed that they would likely force Kim Bongsu to abandon the security staff before he would even be allowed to enter the building. It was meaningless for Tiffany to expend manpower for this and to have their whereabouts made known to the kidnappers. She decided that some degree of strategic ambiguity would give them the upper hand.

As such, Tiffany had Yoona, their sharpest shooter, perched on the top floor of another building with direct sight of the helipad and Yuri, their IT expert, tracking Kim Bongsu in the war room. Sooyoung was in disguise, chilling in one of the many cafes around the area.


Now that everything was in place, it was show time.