Missing in action

Operation Chrome

Tiffany threw her fists at the punching bag, venting all her built up anger and frustrations. 

She could not believe how things have turned out. The last thing that she was expecting was for the man himself to expose her and then turn things around like that. That Kim bastard is indeed not a simple man. 

That bastard is manipulating me, making use of me, threatening me to go against my principles. And Minhyuk oppa is in cahoots with him? Oh it. 

She lost her bearings completely. There was just no way she would risk her parents but at the same time, she was not about to betray her country. For the first time in a long time, Tiffany found herself at a lost. 

Grabbing a towel and a drink, she settled down and stared at the manila envelope on the table.

She gingerly opened the envelope. Deep inside, she knew it was more than just an envelope, it was just the beginning of her dive into the pits of fire. 

Scanning the wad of documents that Changhyun had given to her, she felt her anger rising within her. 

It made her sick in her stomach, especially when she had spent the last few years of her life serving and protecting her nation. It was a detailed report of the weaponry transactiona between Kim Bongsu and North Korea's military. She breathed a little too harshly as she flipped through the incriminating evidence of Kim Bongsu's collusion with the North Koreans. 

These motherers are supplying weapons to the North Koreans!

A knock on her office door sent her into a frenzy, she hurried to stuff the documents back into the manila envelope before pushing it into the locker under her desk. 

"Come in." She tried to calm herself down and brushed her messy fringe away from her eyes.

"Unnie?" 

She turned to see a flushed faced Yoona at the door. 

"Yes?"

"Ah..." The younger agent shuffled her feet nervously. "Miss Kim is missing. She is not in her room. And we can't seem to find her anywhere." 

Well, that was the literally last thing Tiffany needed in her long and trying day. She rubbed her forehead, partly in frustration but mostly because of her fears.

"Have you searched the house thoroughly? Get Yuri to look through the security cameras. She shouldn't be able to disappear just like that. Is her wheelchair there?" 

"It is there. Yuri is currently reviewing the security footage and Sooyoung is currently looking around the entire mansion with the other staff."

"Go join Sooyoung in her search. I want every nook and cranny of the house to be searched thoroughly."

==

She rushed into the security room where Yuri was currently poring through the security footage on the various monitor screens in the room.

"Have you got anything?" 

"I'm afraid we have got nothing so far. I tried to rewind the footage to the last time Miss Kim was seen. She was last seen at around 2045 going into her bedroom."

"And then?"

Yuri frowned as she presses a button to bring up the said footage onto the big monitor.

"Nothing. Not a single peep."

"What do you mean?"

"No one entered or left the room. We only have one security camera facing her door and none inside her room so there is really no way for us to know what happened inside her room."

The agent furrowed her eyebrows.

"Strange. then how could she have gone missing if she didn't leave her room or when nobody entered the room?"

"Beats me. I am trying to go through other security footages around the house hoping we will get something but so far, I have found nothing of consequence."

"Who was the first one to report that she was missing?"

"I think it was one of the kitchen staff who went in to bring Miss Kim a glass of milk when she realised that there was no one inside the room. It was around 2130 when Yoona got the call that Miss Kim was no where to be found."

Tiffany her chin thoughtfully, "That also means that there is a 45 minutes gap between the last time Miss Kim was seen and when she was found missing by the kitchen staff."

"Exactly."

"I don't have a good feeling about this, Yuri. Something seems to be off. There is just no way for Miss Kim to disappear from the room without her wheelchair. Someone must have taken her away."

"They couldn't have gone far considering Miss Kim's immobility."

"True."

"How could those bastards have taken Miss Kim away..." Tiffany muttered, more to herself than to her colleague. 

Then it struck Tiffany. The balcony! The other day she had managed to climb up to the balcony via the tree outside. It would have been fairly easy to enter the room.


"Could the perpetrator have entered through the balcony? It is the only open air space in Miss Kim's room."

"Unfortunately, there isn't a camera directly facing the balcony. Though there is one facing the area below the balcony. We don't see anything out of the ordinary too. It was empty, as usual. Pretty normal since it was already late at night."

Tiffany huffed in frustration. They were getting nowhere to figuring out Taeyeon's whereabouts.

"Make a call to the HQ to ask for reinforcements. Has Mr Kim been informed?"

"Yoona had informed the Butler, who had relayed the message to Mr Kim. I believe he is freaking out and had sent out the rest of his personal security staff to look for his precious daughter."

"Okay. Yuri, keep looking until you find something. I don't believe that Taeyeon would have disappeared just like that."

A click on her earpiece caught her attention. Tiffany's ears perked up immediately. 

"Leggy to Pink Pig. Seems like we have found something. Come to the south garden."

Without a single second of hesitation, the agent sprinted over to the south gardens.

"What have you got here?"

Sooyoung handed her the piece of torn fabric. 

It was a tiny piece of torn material. Tiffany instantly recognised where the material came from. Taeyeon's pajamas. 

"I am guessing they must have passed by the south gardens, and then climbed out through the back gates when the guards there were changing shifts. Miss Kim's pajamas must have caught onto the thorn bushes along the way."

"I don't get it, Sooyoung. There are so many cameras around the entire mansion, especially near the back gates. How could there not be a single camera that had caught anyone leaving?"

The younger agent agreed.

"Could it be...?" An idea suddenly occurred to Tiffany.

"Yuri!" She shouted into her earpiece. "Do you think it is possible that our security cameras have been hacked? Is it possible that the perpetrator might have looped the same footage while they were making their escape?"

"Technically yes, it is possible to loop the same footage. But I don't know if it really happened, Boss. It is hard for me to say right now. But your conjecture might help to explain why we can't find anything out of the ordinary in all our footages, I will get Seohyun to look into it back at the HQ."

"I want it confirmed asap."

"Got it, boss."

==

She was met with an angry Mr Kim on her way to the grand hall. 

"What have your people been doing? Weren't you supposed to be the best in the business? How can my girl go missing like that?" The man shouted harshly at Tiffany who hardly even flinched. She had already anticipated the outburst. 

"Mr Kim, we are currently in the midst of tracking down Miss Kim. We have already called the HQ to ask for more reinforcements. Miss Kim doesn't have a cellphone with her so it is impossible for us to track her exact location. We have also sent out alerts to the police using our connections. Once we have any updates, I will certainly inform you. Rest assure that we will find Miss Kim." She said with conviction, mostly to placate her client and partly to reassure herself. 

Of course she was worried about Taeyeon's well being but at the same time she had to maintain her professionalism and keep it together. Excessive panicking will only blunt her thinking and her response. She needed to stay sharp.


"I have also told my IT people in the HQ to start tracking any phone calls that comes into this house. I am half expecting the kidnappers to contact you."

Right on cue, the house phone rang, sending everyone into a frenzy. 

Tiffany stared intently at her client, "Mr Kim, when you pick up the phone, I need you to try to drag the conversation for as long as you possibly can. Our IT people will try to trace the call."

Her client nodded as he picked up the phone. "Hello?"

A chuckle was heard. Tiffany frowned.

"Hey, Kim Bongsu! How are you doing lately? I heard your precious daughter has gone missing. So I thought to give you a call to check in on how you are holding up."

"Where have you take my daughter! How dare you!"

"Woah, there there. Bongsu ah, how does it feel to have the most precious thing to you taken away from you. Maybe now you can emphatise with me. Not to worry though, your daughter is in good hands. After all, she is more valuable alive than dead. At least for now." The man chuckled again.

Hearing those words, Tiffany couldn't help but curled her fist into a tight ball in an attempt to keep her raging emotions in check.

"Return me your daughter and I will give you whatever you want."

"Sure, sure. If only you will give me what I wanted earlier, I wouldn't have to take such drastic measures. It is not easy to break into your house with all the pesky pests trailing after her 24/7."

"I will want to see that my daughter is doing okay before I give you whatever you want."

Tiffany furrowed her eyebrows. It certainly does seem as though they knew each other. How else could Kim Bongsu have knew what the kidnappers have wanted?"

"I know for a fact that your people are tracking this call. You really think I am that stupid to give away my location just like that? Why would I have her with me? You really think I will make it so easy for you? How about this? Since we are old friends, I will tell you where exactly your daughter is. But I want the usb drive in exchange for it. You will personally deliver the drive. I will give you the location at a later time."

Click. The call ended abruptly. 

By then Tiffany's mind had already gone into overdrive. She was formulating potential ideas of infiltrating the location, getting ready to get Taeyeon back.