[3] The Music the Rain Makes

Be My Last Breath
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

"I'm guessing the two of you fought again."

Your beloved bestfriend, Kang Seolmi greets you. Her head looked big on the small screen of the teleprompter placed beside the door of her apartment. A towel is wrapped around her head and a toothbrush stuck in .

"What is it about this time," she said through the speaker. She continued brushing her teeth.

"How about you let me in first?" you suggested, a pang of annoyance seeping in your tone. "It's cold in here. I can see the air coming out of my mouth. At this rate, I'm going to freeze." You blew into the thin air and sure enough, the breath you emitted was visible. You watched it dissolve.

Seolmi smirked. She knew she won. You're impatient and she uses every chance she can to anger you. Then, she disappeared in the small screen.

You embraced yourself while you waited for Seolmi. In spite of the thick layers of cloth you dressed yourself with, the cold environment was still able to infiltrate your skin. You heard the pass code being encoded and within seconds, Seolmi appeared.

"Spill the vegan beans," she whispered in your ears while the two of you hugged. 

Her hold provided warmth and for a moment, you wanted to stay there. The warmth Seolmi gives you extends right through your bones and goes beyond that. It feels like she's soaking up all your worries and stress.

"Beans are vegetables," you reminded her. 

Seolmi separated herself from you. When the hug ended, the worries and stress you thought was gone came back again. Only this time the weight you carried in your shoulders were lighter and more bearable.

Seolmi snarled at you. She may have won earlier you're one sassy friend. You're always prepared with comebacks every time she tries to pick on you. Seolmi went inside first,  not waiting for you. You followed suit.

Seolmi's apartment was simple yet chic. With a recurring pastel theme,  her apartment sets a nostalgic vibe. Seolmi's personality reflects on her house.

Random things like a broken vase- which she claims as ancient,  dating back to the Goryeo Dynasty- a torn ribbon,  an infant's left shoe and a violen without any string decorates her living room. You used to think she was a hoarder,  keeping broken things and she used to be so defensive every time you bring up the topic.

According to her,  she just enjoys collecting broken things because it reminds he that even inanimate objects get broken too,  so it's completely fine for humans to have a melt down from time to time.

Her dog,  Ttokki,  jumps at the sight of you. You bend down to scoop the gleeful Chihuahua into your arms. You sat down at the beige-colored sofa while Seolmi changes her clothes in her room. A tub of empty ice cream lay at her glass table.

"Did you eat this by yourself?" you asked her.

Seolmi emerged from her room wearing a faded brown cardigan and leggings. She was barefoot. She grabbed a tray of no-bake cookies and a glass of warm milk for you. After setting the food on the table,  Seolmi sat beside you cross-legged.

"You're not the only one in this room who got into a fight, " Seolmi answered you bitterly. 

She stared into the transparent glass window. The sun was nowhere to be found.  The clouds were dark and gloomy like the mood in the room. Maybe it's going to rain later. You forgot to bring your umbrella so you tell yourself to ask Seolmi later to lend you hers.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter