[10] Sunset Reminders

Be My Last Breath
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

You stood silently at a hidden alleyway. You were still weighing your options: to not meddle in someone else’s business or to take charge in it. You don’t know if the man being beaten to death right now is guilty and deserves to be punched and kicked by some kids who seemed to be younger than you. But the mere fact that the man is being beaten to death made you stop from your tracks.

 

“Stop punching! I swear, if I go out of this alive, I’m going to hunt you down and make you regret what you are doing right now!” Once in a while, you would hear the brave voice of the man- who introduced himself to be Yoongi. He was receiving jabs after jabs and yet he was still brave enough to threaten the other boys. He’s a rare gem.

 

“Ow! Ow! Hey, that hurts!” Yoongi exclaimed.

 

He’s on his back now, his hands around his head to protect it. He was crunched in a fetal position. Yoongi was trying to lessen the power of the kicks continuously being thrown to him.

 

It seemed like this time, he was in actual pain.

 

You decided you have no choice at all. You always believed to do something big to change someone else’s life. That was your actual goal, and you can’t turn back to your words right now. Besides, Yoongi also saved your life several days ago.

 

“What are you doing?” You intended to sound authoritative by mimicking a thick voice, but yours turned out to be a high-pitched scream. “Are you bullying someone?”

 

You caught their attention. They stopped kicking Yoongi and turned around to face you. You can’t recognize any of the five faces, but they all looked intimidating, like a depraved lion ready to pound. Someone came forward. He had square jaws and his cheek bones were protruding. A red handkerchief was wrapped around his left hand.

 

“We’ll pretend we never saw you if you run now,” he said, coaxing his voice with honey. His tone was contradicting his words.

 

If you were sane that time, you would have followed his advice. Run before anything messy happens, yet you already reached the point of no return. You stubbornly held on to your principle of following the footsteps of Mahatma Gandhi as a world-changing individual. So you whipped your phone out of your bag and dialed 911.

 

The call was immediately interrupted. You looked at the top of your screen. There’s no signal. The square-faced boy is now starting to walk forward. He was patronizing his left hand by forming it into a fist. If you do nothing now, you might end up like Yoongi too. Using the acting skills you learned back when you were a trainee, you put your phone in your ear.

 

“Hello, 911,” You began. You made sure to look deep into the square-faced boy’s eyeliner laden eyes. “I’m reporting an assault. I’m at an alleyway, near Kangmin’s Dance Studio. Five boys are beating someone.”

 

The square-faced boy clenched his fist. He was gazing at you with great loathing, you feel like you might melt. For a second, you thought your plan didn’t work. If it won’t, you’d produce a loud shriek to attract attention then collect Yoongi and run. Your throat has gone dry from the suspense.

 

“Yes, I won’t hang up so that you can trace my location,” you continued. ‘’The man? I think he’s unconscious now. They must have been doing this for a while. Yes, they’re still here. Yes, officer. Oh, you traced us already? Yeah, it’s at a corner. Yes, I’m wearing white cardigan.”

 

The square-faced boy’s eyes widened. He turned around to the other four and found them equally distressed. You counted up to five in your mind. At six, they began running furiously. They ran in different directions, each trying to avoid going face-to-face with the district police. If they’re caught, they’ll get detained for what they did and serve countless hours doing community service.

 

“There’s no signal here, you know,” You heard someone say.

 

Yoongi stood up, his face flinching with his every move.

 

“I know,” you replied.

 

Yoongi smirked. Now that you can finally see him in the glow of the afternoon light and without the eerie atmosphere last time, his features were clear. Below his bleeding eyebrow, his soot-black down-turned eyes pierce into you. It looked like that of a cat. His lower lip was busted. A bruise is showing up on top of his left cheekbone, and his hair was ruffled from the fight earlier. He had a petite physique, and he was still as pale as the first time you saw him.

 

No wonder you thoug

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter