[7] Mom, Dad and the Missing Bag

Be My Last Breath
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

You got sick that night. A raging fire close to reaching forty degrees. The moment you walked in your house, wet from the rain and sobbing, your mother instantly gave you a towel as if she was waiting for you all along. She worriedly put a hand in your neck and forehead to check your temperature. Your eyelids dropped. Amusingly, the warmth that man provided you doesn’t seem to go away. It lingered at every inch of your skin and kissed your muscles.

 

You woke up at noon. Your blinds were still on, but you were sure by simply hearing the growl of your stomach. You checked your temperature. Thirty-eight. Better. The cold compress on your forehead slumped in the bed when you sat up. You’re late, you alarmed yourself. Hastily searching for anything to wear, you grabbed a nearby long-sleeved knitted white turtleneck and faded jeans.

 

“Where are you going?” Your mother asked. She put the tray she was holding on the edge of your bed. Inside the metal tray was a bowl of chicken porridge and some sliced fruits. Worry still clouded in her eyes, but curiosity took a peek too.

 

“I’m late.”

 

She smiled at you, almost chuckling. You looked at her with confusion.

 

“Why are you going to be late when you don’t have school today?”

 

Realization dawned on you. Right, it’s winter break. You settled back to your bed as you nod your head. You still have less than a month left before you can have to go back to school. A sigh left you, which remained unnoticed by your mother who was opening the lid of the bowl she brought you. You have less than a month to enjoy your solitary, away from the Crazies.

 

“Where were you yesterday?” Your mother asked as she handed you the spoon.

 

You picked up the chopsticks instead and chomped on the strips of chicken. You’re famished, having completely forgotten to eat your lunch and dinner yesterday. These days, there have been a lot of drama going on in your life, eating became an unnecessary necessity.

 

“I was lost,” you answered. A white lie.

 

“That’s what I told you! You could have called me when that happened! You never listen to me. You’re not familiar of the places here, getting lost is not an impossible event. What could happen if you didn’t get home yesterday?!” she scolded you. After several seconds, she pursed her lips together, forming one straight line. You could feel her slowly melting down. “Be careful next time, okay? And bring your umbrella.”

 

You nodded again. You can’t barely speak anything. Guilt was swallowing you whole. You teared your eyes away from your mother’s loving face.

 

She’s in her middle forties now, but the allure she once possessed when she was your age was still visible. The wrinkles in her eyes whenever she smiles nor her graying hair wasn’t enough to cover her beauty. She was once predicted to represent Miss Korea in the international pageants. Therefore it’s no surprise how beautiful she is up to now. She demanded confident in a natural way- never too meek nor too arrogant.

 

The scouts whom you met several years back told you you looked just like your mother. A splitting image.

 

Those same scouts were also the first person to tell you how you don’t look as distinct as her- meaning you don’t fit their criterion- so they let you go.

 

Of course you can’t tell her the truth about what you did yesterday. She’d be mad if she finds out you climbed a mountain, and she’d go berserk once she finds out the reason why. It will cause ruckus, and you wanted to avoid messy things as much as you can. You figured out you’d tackle this petty situation you’re in right now by yourself, at all costs. And by all costs, meant you have to hide your secrets pretty well.

 

Finishing the meal your mother prepared was easy. She cooks deliciously. Within minutes, you have emptied your bowl and ate the variety of fruits on your table. You gave a small burp, patted your stomach and combed your hair using your f

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter