Chapter Ten

Halcyon

 

"How do you do this, hyung?" Chani asked, staring at some of the drawings on Inseong's table. 

Three days after they all knew about the truth, life has somewhat returned to normal in the lodge. Or as normal as things can get - they still are rowdy and noisy and they basically do whatever they want but nowadays, there's this certain kind of sharpness in everyone's eyes - a silent exchange of knowing glances, fleeting whispers when they walk pass each other. 

Inseong has found himself with Youngbin and Jaeyoon most of the time, talking about things in the lodge and Chani - because now that the truth is known to them, they somehow made a promise amongst them to take care of the kid. Inseong has seen it in everyone, the way they up the ante on watching over him - now there's no time for Chani to be alone except of course, when he is asleep or taking care of personal business. 

"How do you do this hyung?" Chani repeated, holding up several sheets of paper with drafts of random members caricature. Inseong shook his head, trying to clear his thoughts. His mind has been floating the last few days and he can't afford to be absent minded during these times. 

Upon Chani's insistence, they continued the tutoring although it was pretty obvious that Inseong is cutting their time short for Chani. Today was just like any other day. Except that it was raining a bit hard. The sound of the rain pelting down on the ground was somehow hypnotizing. 

"Hyung?"

Inseong stood up and took the papers from Chani, thinking of how to explain his process to him. "Well, take this for example," he said pulling out his work on Dawon. 

"It's Dawon hyung," Chani said. 

"Yup. Exactly... uhmmm, you see, everyone has different processes of creating art," Inseong started "For me, i usually draw the things that drew me into the subject. Like Dawon, for example," he said holding up his work again. "Dawon has a cheerful and playful personality so i used all these colors and yet, i know that he has a deeper, softer side to him too so i took that and drew his eyes this way," Inseong said, pointing to the drawing. 

"Oh, i see." Chani said, inspecting the piece of paper

"It's sort of like that.. i can't really explain it properly?" Inseong mumbled. 

"And Jaeyoon hyung's?" Chani asked, eyes twinkling slyly. He was holding up an unfinished drawing of Jaeyoon.  

"It looks so soft and beautiful," Chani commented. 

"He does," Inseong replied absently, his mind suddenly working on filling in the missing colors from the drawing. 

"Do you want to start drawing?" Inseong asked Chani. 

"Yes, please! This rain is really not suitable for other lessons, i kinda feel like sleeping again," the kid answered. 

"Well, you can just sleep again. Even i'm not up to teaching today.. sorry," Inseong admitted. 

"It's fine, hyung. Thank you. Wake me up when it's lunch time, okay?" 

With that, Chani skipped happily out of the library but not before taking with him some papers and drawing materials. Inseong sat down in front of the desk and surveyed his mess - papers strewn all over the wooden surface, colored pencils and paintbrushes placed along the edges. The door opened and he looked up. 

"You finished early again?" Jaeyoon asked, carrying a small tray with two cups of coffee. Inseong subtly slid the drawing of Jaeyoon on the bottom pile while clearing up a space on the table. 

"Yeah. The rain is making me and Chani sleepy actually," he replied. 

"Really? I guess i'll have this coffee for me then," Jaeyoon said happily, taking the cup from the tray and sitting on the chair opposite Inseong. 

They sat opposite each other for a few minutes, listening to the sound of the rain and sipping their coffee and Inseong has never felt more at home. The silence with Jaeyoon wasn't awkward - it never is when he is with the guy and right now, the silence and the comfort is what he needed. 

"How are you, by the way?" Jaeyoon asked breaking the reverie. 

"Fine. I guess. Chani's doing really we-"

"I'm not asking about that, Inseong. I'm asking about you. How are you doing? Did you realize that you've been with us for a month now?" Jaeyoon said. 

"Huh, really? A month? Wow, i don't even feel like a month has gone by. It's like i've been living here my whole life," Inseong replied, thinking of the first time he stood in front of those imposing doors. 

"You know what that means, right?" Jaeyoon asked, looking at him with a serious expression. 

He shook his head, thinking of what could Jaeyoon be talking about. 

"Summer's almost over," the guy stated flatly. 

Summer's almost over. 

The words kept on turning inside Inseong's head that night. He knew what Jaeyoon meant and he suddenly felt a certain sense of urgency to do - something, anything. And so that night, he kept on turning and turning, trying to put his mind and heart at ease. It was only when the sky was starting to get bright did sleep overcome him. 

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++