Chapter Nine

Halcyon

Youngbin closed the door gently behind him, leaving the two youngest alone. The silence that suddenly enveloped the room felt thick and suffocating.

Chani was sitting up on his bed, a huge pillow propped on his back to support him. He kept on sneaking glances towards Hwiyoung, who was busy looking up at the ceiling. 

"So..."Hwiyoung started, surprising Chani. The youngest waited for Hwiyoung to continue but a few minutes passed in silence. 

Chani bowed his head, mentally preparing himself. "I'm sorry for not telling you, Hwiyoung-ah. I really didn't want to be a burden. Especially to you," he said, almost mumbling the last few words. 

Hwiyoung nodded, taking in several deep breaths. He clenched his fists, feeling his fingernails dig deep into his palms. 

"I'm mad, you know," Hwiyoung said bolting out of the chair so fast that Chani was slightly taken back.

"I'm your best friend, Chani-yah! You told me that i'm already like a real brother to you! That i'm your family and then you hide this- this thing from me?!" he continued.  

Hwiyoung's voice was still level but the anger and hurt was obvious in every word that it made Chani flinch, making him wish the bed would just swallow him whole. 

"I'm really sorry, Hwiyoung-ah," Chani said almost choking on the words. 

Hwiyoung started pacing beside the bed and Chani can only stare at his hands trying to blink back the tears that are already forming but failing. Chani tried to wipe his eyes in a way that wouldn't be obvious to his best friend. Hwiyoung stopped in his tracks and rushed to Chani when he saw his friend crying. 

"I'm so sorry, Chani. I didn't mean to get mad. Please stop crying," Hwiyoung was saying, cupping Chani's face with both his hands and wiping away the tears with his thumb. 

"I-it's fine. Y-you have e-every right to get mad," Chani answered letting himself cry finally. Hwiyoung kept silent and gently pulled Chani towards him in a loose hug. 

When Chani has finally calmed down, Hwiyoung held both his hands tracing circles on the back of his hand. "I'm sorry, Chani. I didn't mean to get mad at you, really. I was just hurt that you would hide something this big from me." Hwiyoung said. 

"I'm sorry too," Chani replied, "I'm sorry for keeping this a secret. I just didn't want you taking care of me all the time. I want us to be the same as before - fooling around and all.... I hope this doesn't change anything," he continued. 

Hwiyoung smirked and mussed up Chani's hair, "Yah, pabo-yah. this will not change anything between us ,you know! i will still be your best friend and your brother and i'm sure you'll continue to be a thorn in my side but i love you just the same!" Hwiyoung said. 

"Did you just say you love me?" Chani exclaimed, pretending to be shocked. 

"Aish!" Hwiyoung stood up. "Yah Kang Chani! You should go to sleep so you'll grow tall more!" he retorted a fond smile on his face. 

Chani rolled his eyes in reply but was otherwise wearing a same smile on his face. "Ne. Ne. I will eomma."

Hwiyoung bid his goodbye then and exited the room, the smile still playing on his lips. But as soon as the door clicked shut, the smile dissolved. Hwiyoung took in deep breaths, his hand tightening on the door knob. 

"This changes everything, Chani-ah..." Hwiyoung muttered, wiping the tears that suddenly fell from his eyes. 

 

****      ***      *****

Note: This was suppose to be a longer chapter but i felt that these two needed to have a moment on their own.... Sorry for the short update!!