Chapter Four

Halcyon

Dinner turned out great, albeit somewhat rowdy and messy. Since it's a welcome party for him, they set up the huge grill just outside the balcony and grilled Grade A Korean Beef and some vegetables. Rowoon also made an amazing crab stew and what everyone seems to love in this house, fried chicken. It was a simple meal but it made Inseong feel welcome and he finally got to meet everyone who is currently staying in the house. 

When dinner ended, he wanted to go and talk to Chani but the young man declined and requested that they have the conversation tomorrow. Inseong relented and watched as Hwiyoung walked with him towards their bedroom. 

"Don't worry! Chani just gets tired easily. You'll be able to talk to him tomorrow,"

Inseong turned to his side. "Yoo Taeyang-ssi, right?" he said.

"Just Taeyang! or Sun if you want" the blonde man replied with a dazzling smile. "No need to be so formal," he added.

Inseong nodded. "Ah, yeah. by the way, what do you mean that Chani gets tired easily?" he asked.

Taeyang's smile faltered for a second but Inseong managed to catch that millisecond of uncertainty. 

"Oh, you know. Tired from all the stuff they've been doing since this morning," he replied. "Anyways, have a good night!" Taeyang immediately turned around and half dashed towards the kitchen. 

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

"What do you think about him?" Zuho asked addressing no one in particular. 

"He's fine." Taeyang said. "A bit sharp actually." 

"Ne. I noticed it too. I don't think we can hide the truth from him for long," Hwiyoung added.

Rowoon scoffed, "We don't even know the whole truth and we've been in this situation longer than he has," he said. 

"True. But maybe this time will be different? Maybe Chani will finally tell us why we're all here?" Jaeyoon said. 

"Hopefully. As much as i like being here with you guys, i also want to know the entire truth." Dawon added. 

"Yah, Lee Dawon, it's the first time i'm hearing that from you." Youngbin teased. 

Dawon reached for a pillow and threw it at Youngbin, dissolving the feelings of uncertainty in the room. 

"Come on, guys. Let's just go to sleep. We have a long day ahead of us." Jaeyoon said.

After a flurry of good nights and see-you-tomorrows, they all headed to their own bedrooms.

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

ROWOON

Rowoon was busy chopping some vegetables when one of the cabinets behind him closed loudly. He jumped, and turned around. Zuho was standing sheepishly behind him, but when the other man saw the knife he was holding, he rushed towards Rowoon.

"I'm sorry, i didn't know you were doing something. Were you hurt? Did you cut yourself?" the other man asked, holding Rowoon's hand and inspecting it closely.

"You know, i have a better chance of getting injured by your nose than this knife," Rowoon remarked trying not to laugh. 

Zuho tried to meet his eyes seriously but failed and burst out laughing. "But... you're really okay, right? You didn't get cut or anything?" Zuho whispered.

Rowoon shook his head, "I'm fine, Zuho." he answered, his voice almost as soft as his.

"I'm glad," Zuho said, still not letting go of Rowoon's hand. 

They stayed that way for a few more moments, Zuho's warm hands enveloping his.

"EHEM!"

The two guys jumped apart. 

"Am i interrupting? Were you in the middle of filming for We Got Married right now?" Dawon said, looking at them sheepishly. 

Rowoon rolled his eyes, ignoring Dawon's comments and went back to chopping vegetables. 

"You woke up early today, Dawon. What's wrong?" Zuho asked. 

"Me? i was just thirsty. i was gonna get a cup of water and head back to sleep when i walked in on you two," he replied. "And now, back to ZuWoon couple and their morning couple routine," he added in his fake announcer voice before scurrying back to his room.

''Aish, seriously that kid. and to think that he's one year older than us!" Rowoon exclaimed. 

Zuho smiled. "Don't tell me you're still not used to Dawon? Anyway, i'll just help you prepare breakfast," Zuho said putting on an apron. "What are you planning to make anyways?"

"My famous Ramyun of course. And some potator pancakes," Rowoon answered. 

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

INSEONG

He was pacing inside the library, feeling nervous all of a sudden. Youngbin said that Chani would be talking to him and he's just confused, to tell the truth. The door opened and he almost jumped in alarm.

"Relas, Inseong-ssi. It's just me," it as Jaeyoon, carrying a tray with a small platter of biscuits and a glass of orange juice. "You look nervous. What's wrong?" the other guy asked as he went inside the room and placed the tray on a small round table.

"Nothing, really. and please, just call me Inseong. No need to be so formal," he added.

"Well, Inseong. Just relax. Chani's really kind and cute! so.." Jaeyoon smiled. "You'll be fine."

Jaeyoon tapped him on the shoulders and left the room. Inseong felt more agitated by Jaeyoon's behaviour without no reason at all. A few minutes later, the door to the library opened and Chani finally came in. Inseong stopped in his steps and greeted the younger guy. 

"Inseong hyung, please sit down. And please don't be so formal with me, or the rest of the housemates. i want you to think of me as your younger brother," Chani replied. 

His deep voice is in contrast with the sweet smile that he gave Inseong. "I'm sure you must have some questions for me?" Chani said while taking the a seat on the leather sofa gesturing Inseong to do the same.

He nodded and took a deep breath. "Well, first off, why me? With your wealth you could have asked for actual professors to teach you." Inseong started.

"Ah, but i'm looking for more than just someone to teach me. Besides, you're the top in your school, right? Hwiyoung told me," Chani answered. 

"What do you mean? i don't get you. You're looking for more than just a tutor?" 

"A friend, Inseong hyung. or a brother figure - someone who could teach me more than just math or english. Hiring professors would just be that-hiring. They'll do their job and expect me to do the same and that's it. It's gonna be more of a business transaction and i don't like that? i wanted someone who would be patient," Chani answered.

"But they will be patient with you, Chani. And they'll be careful and praise you, and all those other things," Inseong contested.

"Exactly! I don't need empty flattery or what-nots," Chani replied, a hint of anger on his tone.

Inseong nodded. "Okay. point taken. And what about the others? They're all from my school, right? why are they all here?" 

"They all have their reasons for being here. I just happened to have a place which can house everyone!" he replied cheerily. "And yes, they're from the same school because somehow, when one member gets here, someone else follows and so on. It's quite lively, actually!" Chani added.

"Are they all your friends too? Do they teach you too?" 

"Everyone in our lives can teach us something. we just have to open up our hearts and minds to them," Chani answered.

Inseong scoffed, "Do you really need me to teach you? What you just said was so... deep and wise," 

Chani shrugged. "I told you, we can learn something from everyone. Anyways, Hwiyoung told me that you're also a painter?" 

He nodded. "I do paint.. well, i'm not that great but it's okay," Inseong replied humbly. 

"That's great! i've always wanted to do painting. Could you include that in the list of things to teach me?" Chani asked, eyes burning brightly.

"Of course. of course. But we have to focus on your main subjects first." Inseong replied. "You may have wanted to have a friend but let me tell you that i'm also serious about this tutoring stuff."

Chani smiled, "Good! I like you already, hyung"

The rest of the morning went by with the two of them discussing Chani's preferred time for tutoring and the subjects that he would like some help on. A little after twelve, there was a knock on the door. 

"Lunch is ready!" Hwiyoung said popping his head in. 

"Great! I"m exhausted! Let's continue this tomorrow then, Inseong hyung," Chani said.

Hwiyoung was waiting for them right outside the door and greeted Inseong with a smile. "By the way, Inseong hyung, Dawon hyung said he wanted to talk you later."