Chapter Five

Halcyon

Inseong made his way out through the back door, the chilly wind blowing so softly on his face. The backyard was carpeted with grass and there was a stone walkway leading several paths, one of them was straight though the steel gates which serve as the entrance to the woods.

If he remembered correctly, Jaeyoon said that there was a greenhouse and a viewing deck somewhere. Having nothing better to do, he decided to follow one of the stone paths, surprisingly, it lead him to the viewing deck.

He leaned on the railings, breathing in the fresh mountain air. Being this high up brought him memories - some which he gladly remembered and some which he tried so hard to quash.

“Doesn’t it remind you of the day we met?”

Inseong turned around and saw Dawon approaching him. He scoffed. “That was a mistake on my part. I didn’t think anyone would be in the rooftop that time,” he replied.

“Stop trying to act all cool, Inseong hyung. Don’t you remember that you told me everything that day?” Dawon asked.

Inseong sighed. “Am I gonna regret telling you that?”

“Aniyo.” Dawon replied. “But have you actually decided to tell them?” he asked all hint of a joke erased from his voice.

Inseong took a deep breath. “No. Not yet. I actually don’t know anymore. I was hoping this gig will help me think about it,” he replied.

“So, I Hwiyoung told me you wanted to talk?” Inseong asked, hoping to change the topic.

“Ah, that… nothing much really… just that Jaeyoon hyung kept on pestering me on how we met,” Dawon replied with a hint of smile.

“Yah! You know you can’t talk about that to anyone right? It’s our own little secret?!” Inseong replied, alarmed.

Dawon smiled widely, “Yah! What do you think of me?! Of course I’ll keep it a secret! It’s my leverage over you,” he replied slyly.

Inseong nodded, a smile crossing his lips, “I know I can count on you, Lee Sang Hyuk,” he replied.

“Yah! I told you not to call me that!” Dawon exclaimed, looking around.

Inseong laughed. “Why are you so stressed?! Everyone at school knows that’s your real name!”

“Hmp!” Dawon pouted, crossing his arms around his body. Inseong laughed out loud.

“Anyways, it’s getting cold. I’m heading back inside, hyung.” Dawon said. “Will you stay here for awhile?”

Inseong nodded.

“Do you want me to keep you company?” Dawon asked.

“Aniyo. I’m perfectly fine here.” Inseong replied.

“Are you sure, hyung?” Dawon asked, the first traces of genuine concern lacing his voice.

“I’m sure, Dawon." Inseong replied. "I'm not the same person you met on the rooftop 8 months ago..." he continued.

=================================================================================================

8 months ago

Up. That's the only thing he could think of. He has to go up - higher than this floor, higher than this building, higher than everyone else. Inseong can feel every strength from his body seeping out as he made his way towards the rooftop. He pushed open the door, gulping in huge amounts of summer air back into his lungs. 

As if in a trance, he walked unsteadily towards the edge. He gripped on the metal railings, and was about to climb over it when a hand stopped him. he turned around and came face to face with a boy who looks much younger than him. His brown hair burning brightly under the sun.

"Yah! What are you doing?" the student asked him. "Are you trying to jump from the building?"

Inseong stared at the student. He didn't know what came over him. The emotions just rushed up at him and h-

SLAP

Inseong staggered sideways, his right cheek burning. "YAH!" he shouted. 

"I asked if you were trying to jump from the building!" the student asked raising his voice. 

"YAH! HOW DARE YOU! I-" 

Inseong fell backwards as the younger guy pushed him. He lay still for a few seconds, welcoming the throbbing pain in his back. He took several deep breaths, focusing on the clear skies until his sight got blurry with tears. He raised one arm to cover his eyes and let the tears fall, distantly aware that he wasn't alone. 

He felt movement and looked sideways, the younger man was lying on the ground beside him. Looking at the sky above. 

"W-who are you?" Inseong asked. 

"Na? I'm Lee Dawon! The most handsome, most charming person in this entire school!" he answered happily. 

"Ahhh, Lee Dawon-ssi? You mean Lee Sang Hyuk?" Inseong retorted. 

"Yah!" Dawon sat up and looked at him sternly. He opened his about and was about to say something but instead, Dawon took a deep breath. "I won't... I'll let it go for now since you look like you're not yourself.... You know you can tell me about it?" 

Inseong smirked. "As if i would. I don't know you, know you, Lee Dawon-ssi." he replied. 

"Hmmm true. and that actually makes it all the more better if you tell me. i don't have any idea of what you are or who you really are. All i know is that you came from a well-to-do family and you're the number one student here. I won't judge you or anything. I won't even think any differently of you," Dawon answered. 

Inseong sat up and looked at the other man closely. Dawon had his face to the sky, the wind softly ruffling his brown hair. There was something so comforting about him that Inseong blurted out what happened. And Dawon, for his part kept quiet and listened. Nodding his head and giving only encouraging words that Inseong found himself telling the other man about everything. 

He told Dawon of his dreams of being a painter, of the constant pressure by his father to do well in school and even he was surprised with himself, he told Dawon of the news he received a little while ago - the death of his mother. 

Saying it out loud made it all the more real that Inseong ended up crying again. Dawon didn't move an inch, he didn't even speak but Inseong was grateful of him being there. There was a heavy silence after the tears. 

"To be honest, i don't what to say to all of that," Dawon said with a weak smile. "But one thing i know is, you will get through it. You will get through everything... and i'm really sorry for your loss..."

Inseong nodded, the crying and the ranting somehow making him feel a little bit better. "Thank you, Dawon-ssi for listening... for just being here with me," he replied. The silence that followed was comforting and friendly. A few seconds later, the school bell rang signaling lunch time.

======================================================================================

Inseong watched as Dawon made his way back inside the lodge, his back getting smaller and smaller until it disappeared inside the wooden door. He looked up and smiled wide. 

The sky was as clear and beautiful as the day he and Dawon talked on the school rooftop.