Chapter Seven

Halcyon

He glanced at the clock, 2:38 AM flashes at him. Inseong tossed and turned unable to stop worrying for Chani. It's not only his concern that's keeping him up if he's being honest, a part of it has something to do with the mystery surrounding the boy. 

"What is really happening?" he whispered in the dark room. 

He tried to recall everything, starting from the first day he met the boy. He didn't really notice anything wrong with him other than his slow movements but Inseong figured it's just something that's part of him - in the same way that Dawon is always hyper and noisy. He shook his head, "There must be something," he muttered. Unfortunately, no matter how much he recalled every second he had spent with Chani so far, nothing came up. 

When Inseong opened his eyes, the sun was already up in the sky. He didn't realize when he fell asleep that night but weirdly, he felt well rested. A quick glance at the clock showed him that it's already 10:36am. Still early, he thought as the rest usually wake up around lunch time. 

Stepping out in the hallway, he heard soft music playing. The sound seemed to be coming from the walls but there was no sign of any speakers overhead. The song was an instrumental one, a bit melancholic if he might add. He shrugged, deciding to ignore it and adding it to his mental files about the lodge. 

Inseong stopped at the top of the stairs, somewhat unable to believe what was happening. Everyone was in the living room and having fun? he thought to himself. 

"Good morning, sleepyhead!" Jaeyoon greeted being the first one to notice his arrival. They all turned their heads toward him and greeted him a good morning. Jaeyoon excitedly motioned for him to come down and join. 

"What are you doing?" he asked no one in particular. 

"Chani wanted to have a party tonight," Hwiyoung replied, not taking his eyes off the colored paper he was cutting.

"Party? for what?" Inseong asked. 

"Just because," Chani replied. He was sitting on the couch surrounded by a ton of colorful papers cut into various shapes. 

Inseong stepped carefully across them and moved some of the paper to the floor before plopping down beside the boy. 

"Are you okay?" he asked, placing a hand on his forehead to check his temperature. 

"Yah! hyung! i'm okay!" Chani replied, swatting his hand away. 

Inseong's forehead creased making Chani bark out a laugh. "Really. I'm fine, hyung," he said again. 

Inseong pursed his lips but nodded just the same. Chani flashed him a smile before joining Hwiyoung on the floor. Inseong was still watching Chani when he heard his name being called by Rowoon. He looked up and the tall man was gesturing for him to go help in the kitchen. 

"Rowoon-ah, i'm not really good in the kitchen so i don't think i co-" Inseong stopped midway finally realizing why Rowoon called him out. 

Jaeyoon and Youngbin were in the kitchen softly talking to each other. 

"They wanted to talk to you so.. yeah, " Rowoon explained before going back to the living room. 

"What happened?" Inseong asked. 

"Chani was the first one up. He knocked on my door and asked if we could have some sort of party tonight?" Youngbin explained. The worry in Youngbin's voice and in his eyes was enough to make Inseong feel the same.

"Was this the first time this happened?" he asked. 

"Ne. This is the first time this ever happened. Especially right after one of his 'episodes'," Jaeyoon answered. "The last time we had doctors rushing in, we didn't get to see Chani for like a week." he added.

"And you haven't noticed anything different?"

Youngbin and Jaeyoon shook their heads.

"I guess we'll have to go through with this. But we have to be very careful and be very observant," Youngbin said. 

"I've already talked to Hwiyoung, Dawon and Taeyang," Jaeyoon added. "They'll keep him preoccupied while at the same time, not let him do anything strenuous," 

Inseong nodded, "I'll join them then. I'll see what i can figure out," 

A moment passed between the three of them, each one looking at the other with a sense of fear and responsibility. 

"I'll go back then," Inseong said breaking the silence and turning back to the living room. 

Rowoon, Juho, and Dawon were gone when Inseong returned. Taeyang explained that the three went out to buy food for tonight. Youngbin and Jaeyoon emerged from the kitchen a minute later, carrying a long table between them. 

They spent the rest of the afternoon decorating the entire place. The colored papers turned out to be garlands of some sort depending on who actually made it. The long table was covered with a red, shiny tablecloth and Jaeyoon placed a huge flower arrangement in the center. 

Rowoon and the rest arrived at around 4 that afternoon carrying with them loads of food. As soon as the groceries were sorted, Rowoon and Juho together with a loudly protesting Dawon disappeared in the kitchen to prepare everything. 

At 8 pm, everyone got together in the living room again. the music was louder this time and playing a rather funky beat. Chani, Hwiyoung and Taeyang were already in the living room laughing together. Juho and Rowoon are presumably in the kitchen as some of the food are already laid out on the long table. 

Jaeyoon met up at the top of the stairs, his smile as genuine as it can get. "Are you ready, Inseong?" he asked, his voice a pitch higher from excitement. 

Jaeyoon's energy was so infectious that Inseong smiled brightly, somehow forgetting what happened momentarily. The two walked down the stair in a friendly silence and was greeted by the rest. 

"Everyone, everyone! Come on, let's gather together!" Youngbin was suddenly calling out. 

It took a good 5 minutes before everyone was assembled in the living room, looking expectantly. Rowoon was standing by the wall and at Youngbin's signal, he flipped a switch, dimming the lights and at the same time, turning on the fairy lights that they painstakingly hung around the big room that afternoon. 

The lights, together with all the decoration turned the room into something straight out of a Christmas party. Everyone cheered loudly and after a while, talking broke out. The music was still blasting from the walls although soft enough so as not to stop them from conversing. 

in the middle of it all, Youngbin clapped his hands and everyone suddenly fell silent. "Okay, to start this party, may we ask our newest family member to say something!" he said gesturing at Inseong. 

Inseong opened his mouth to say something but no words came out. The others were pushing him to where Youngbin with shouts of "Speech! Speech" coming from Dawon of course. 

He swallowed and shrugged. "Whatever" he thought. 

"I won't keep this long then. Thank you for welcoming me, you guys. And well, let's have fun!" he said to which everyone applauded. 

"Sing us a song!" Taeyang shouted. 

"Sing! Sing! Sing!" Rowoon and Juho said until everyone in the room was saying the same thing. 

Inseong felt lost for a moment, eyes finding Jaeyoon. The other man nodded at him mouthing words of encouragement i'm sure but still, Inseong shook his head. Still smiling, Jaeyoon stepped up to where he was and silenced everyone. 

"Okay, since Inseong is a bit shy. I'll sing a duet with him," he announced. "Please wait while we decide on a song," 

"Yah!" Inseong said as soon as Jaeyoon turned to him. 

"Oh come on! It's just us! What do you want to sing?! A ballad?" Jaeyoon asked. 

"Baby it's cold outside," Inseong blurted out. "Ani. Wait. I mean, no... not that one.. wait.."

But Jaeyoon was already swaying his hands, and vocalizing. And without anything, he started to sing the first line. Inseong having no other choice sang with him. 

Everyone was in hysterics by the time they were finished with the impromptu performance. Inseong started to feel blood rushing to his face during the last few lines of the song. But Jaeyoon.. Jaeyoon was doing pretty well. He was giving them an exaggerated bow which made Inseong laugh out loud. Youngbin and Dawon were clapping so loud. 

"Inseong hyung, i didn't know you're good at singing too," Chani commented. Inseong just thanked him feeling himself blush once again. 

He excused himself and went to the table where a punch station was set up. Jaeyoon followed him afterwards, his face still glowing from their performance. 

"You didn't tell me you also sing!" he exclaimed. "Is there anything you can't do?" Jaeyoon asked taking a swig of juice. 

"Well, i can't cook even if my life depended on it," Inseong replied with a straight face. Jaeyoon laughed and patted his back, "That's okay. You can always order take out," he said. 

There was cheering from the rest and they both turned to look. They were playing a game. Passing a piece of paper with their mouths. Juho, Rowoon and Dawon were one team while Youngbin, Taeyang and Hwiyoung were another. Chani was in the center holding his phone out to time them. 

Jaeyoon grabbed his arm and stirred him closer to where they were playing. It seems as if Youngbin's team was winning and Dawon was busy whinning for there were a lot of instances wherein Juho and Rowoon almost kissed.

"Time! Time! Time!" Chani called out and everyone stopped. 

Inseong and Jaeyoon counted how many papers the team managed to pass between and finally, announced that it was Youngbin's team. 

Everyone was celebrating as if they all won when it happened. They were in the 'gaming' area while Chani was by the long table, taking a drink. Inseong happened to look towards where he was and everything felt like it was in slow motion. 

Chani placed his glass on the table, a smile still on his face but a second later, Inseong saw him took a step forwards and crumple to the ground slowly. 

"Chani!" he shouted, breaking the celebratory mood. 

Everyone turned to look, there was a second of silence and confusion and suddenly, everyone sprung into action rushing towards the fallen boy. Youngbin got to him first and turned him around. 

"Let's bring him to his room," Inseong distantly heard himself saying.