Chapter 4

The Mask

Chapter 4

Both brothers made their way into the castle with caution, taking each step carefully to not make a fool out of themselves. Once they were in the castle, they found themselves being swept along with the crowd and to the ballroom. As the crowd slowly dispersed, the duo found themselves stranded in the middle of a large circle with 8 other couple around them. Each couple where posed in their respective position, clearly waiting for the music to cue their dance. “Hyung what are we doing here!” Heechul shouted silently to Leeteuk as he tried to avoid the curious gazes of the surrounding crowd. “I don’t know either, just grab a girl and go with the flow!” Leeteuk hurriedly replied. “But I don’t know how to dance!” Heechul tried to argued but found his words futile as Leeteuk approached the surrounding crowd and bowed politely before outstretching his hands to lady nearby. Heechul let out a soft groan as he followed his hyung’s actions and soon found a petite hand fitted into his hand. Slowly both pairs and the partners made the way to the dance floor. “I’m sorry I don’t really know how to dance.” Heechul apologise to his partner. “It’s alright I’ll lead you.” The girl replied softly.

[ Leeteuk POV]

“Sorry for the inconvenience, my brother and I were swept away by the crowd and somehow found ourselves on the dance floor.” Leeteuk apologised as he gently placed his left hand onto her hip and lightly grabbed her hand. “It’s alright.” She said as she let out a small chuckle. Leeteuk perked up at her voice, somehow it sounded familiar to him but he decided to push back his thoughts as the music started.

The dance started off with a slow beat as couples twirled around the circle elegantly, slowly the music pace picks up into a passionate tango tune. High level moves were performed as females spun around the bodies of their respective males. Throughout it all Heechul was apologising to his partner for what seemed like the twentieth time. “I’m sorry!” Heechul said as he stepped onto his partner’s toes once again. The girl simply giggled at his clumsiness as she led him into a spin. Finally, the music died down as male and female gave each other a deep bow before separating. Likewise, Leeteuk did the same to his partner and turned around towards Heechul but just as he was about to leave, he heard a whisper in his ear. “I’m sure we’ll meet again.” Leeteuk spun around to see his partner disappear into the crowd. ‘Was it her? It must be her, no wonder her voice sounded so similar’ Leeteuk shook his head lightly as he walked over to where Heechul was saying goodbye to his partner.

The brother found their way to the bar where there were minimal people gathered. “Whew that intense and embarrassing, you have no idea how many times I stepped on my partner’s toes!” Heechul complained. “Well you were never really good at dancing so that isn’t surprising” this earned him a glare from Heechul. “On another note, I think my partner was the woman I met when I was buying the mask.” Leeteuk said. “How would you know, you couldn’t even see her face?” Heechul asked. “Well firstly her voice sounded familiar and before she left she said that she was sure that she would meet me again, it was the exact words the woman at the mask shop said to me when she left.” Leeteuk explained. “Maybe it’s fate.” Heechul said cheekily as he gave his hyung a wink. “Yah don’t joke about this, but don’t you find it suspicious?” Leeteuk asked. “Well I don’t know but if she says that you will meet her soon than there’s nothing to worry about.” Heechul replied with a shrug. Sighing at his brother’s nonchalant answer, Leeteuk propped his elbow onto the bar counter as he waved for the bartender. “2 champagnes please.” He called out as he drifted his gaze to the crowd, slowly getting distracted by the slow music and colours and eventually back to his thoughts about the mysterious woman.

“Excuse me is this sit taken?” a voice brought Leeteuk out of his pondering. He looked up at the owner of the voice just to find the same individual who have been on his mind the entire night. “Who are you?” These three words spilled out of his mouth. The woman simply smiled coyly at him before she took up an empty sit on his right. “I’m sorry I didn’t mean to sound rude, I just found you to be really familiar.” Leeteuk apologised after realising his mistake. She simply responded back with a slight nod. “Have we met before?” Leeteuk asked. “I don’t know have we?” she answered with a question. Leeteuk frowned at her vague answer but decided to let it go for the time being. “May I buy you and your brother a drink?” she asked. “Sure.” Leeteuk replied. “Two glasses of white wine please!” she called out to the bartender. “None for yourself?” Leeteuk questioned her. “Oh I won’t be needing it.” She replied. Once again Leeteuk was left puzzled by her reply. “Here 2 glasses of white wine.” The bartender announced bringing the drinks over to her. “Thank you!” she greeted him, pushing the wine glasses towards Heechul and Leeteuk. No one saw her slipping a few sprinkles of white powder into both glasses. “Oh thanks!” Heechul said as he received his glass, taking a few sips of the wine. “Hyung try it, it tastes nice!” Heechul commented, taking a few more sips. Leeteuk simply chuckled as he too tasted his wine. “Oh you know I never told you I had a brother....” Leeteuk said as he looked up at her only to see Heechul slumping onto the bar counter at the corner of his eyes. “Heechulll……...ll” was all Leeteuk managed to say before darkness creeped into his vision.