Chapter one

Remember me

Krystal wasn't quite sure when she had seen Amber Josephine Liu for the first time. Perhaps she had heard stories of her earlier than she had actually noticed her. See, when you don't know a person is supposed to be something, you don't notice them when they walk past you in the hallway, so Krystal hadn't noticed Amber until the stories had come to her ears. 
The bad young androgynous woman that seemed to rule the campus, by only flicking people a flash of her smug smile. Always a leather jacket hugging her shoulders, ripped jeans, a loose tank-top that showed just a bit of her sport's bra when she lifted her arms and a sigaret or a lollypop in , depending on her mood. Together with five of her male friends, she was both the most feared and loved person on the University. Everyone knew Amber Josephine Liu. Everyone loved Amber Josephine Liu. Everyone wanted to date Amber Josephine Liu.
To be honest, Krystal didn't get what the big deal was anyway. When the told her friends, they were taken back by her lack of interest in the hottest girl in school, that even straight girls and gay boys were weak for. Krystal just shrugged. She just didn't see it. 

The longer she spend on Harvard, the more stories came to her ears. At first it was just the story of how Amber had saved (or ruined, depending on who you'd ask) prom of last year. How she had called for a rock band to appear and loosen up the stiff dancing couples. The professors had thrown her out of the building, but that also caused them to loose half of the students who were  at the party. They all went over to some club in town do have an after party. 
But soon, it were more stories. About how she had sneaked into the professor's dormitories and had drawn silly stuff on their faces. There had still been leftovers on Mrs. Daniel's face, of the uni-brow and enormous piple on her nose. A few months later  her car had been smudged with a spray can after she had graded Amber's essay with an D+.  Or how she had replaced the salt in the kitchens for white paper, making everyone loos their taste buds. She had slept with two girls at the same time, who she had dumped afterwards, and you needn't to feel special when she came up to you on a party to kiss you, because she had practically kissed every pretty girl on campus. Once there had been a picture taken of her whilst she had with a girl. The only thing you saw was her bottocks, but Krystal would've freaked out only about that. Amber had shrugged just replied with 'But my looks amazing in that angle'. 
Let's not forget the famous foam party, that she had organized in the first few months of her attending the University. It was basically her first move and after that party everyone knew Amber Liu. Krystal hadn't gone to the party, because foam parties were litterally the worst kind of parties that existed, and she didn't want to lower herself between the slippy, bodies of the other students. Amber, on the other hand, seemed to have a great time, DJ'ing with one of her best buddies behind the DJ set. 
But what most people thought was her best joke was switching the water in the coffee machine for vodka, so that the students as well as the teachers got tipsy during the classes without barley noticing, because the strong taste of coffee had won it from the bitter taste of the vodka. It took them several days before they noticed that Amber had pulled another prank, but it was already too late. Videos and photos had already been made of the teachers who liked to drink at least 5 cups a coffee per day. Everyone knew Amber was behind this, but since there had been no evidence, she hadn't been caught.
She couldn't be loved more. Krystal didn't like her at all. 

And of course, Amber Josephine Liu had to be in most of her classes. To be honest, she had no idea how that girl managed to go to Harvard. She sure was smart, because she had proven that  a couple of times, but she never ever got a good grade on her essays or other projects. She literally didn't study one bit, but managed to succeed on her exams with a B or higher. Her grades were near as good as Krystal's, and it annoyed her inexpressibly. On top of intelligence, Amber had this certain charm about her that Krystal didn't have. Sure she had a pretty face, well shaped body, but that was it. She didn't have the social skills Amber had, and that was probably the worst thing about the girl; that she seemed to be more succesful than Krystal without even lifting a finger.
They shared quite a few of their classes together. Krystal studied economics, so that she was able to take over the company of her father's when she had gained enough experience. But she had had been able to have a few extra subjects, besides the ones that had been required for her study, so she had chosen performance and modern music, so she was able to relax a little bit. Music and acting were her favourite things to do, and she often went to the theatreclub to rehearse. Acting was something she could completely loose herself in, and it was an effective way to let all the stress go. 
Sadly, Amber had had the same idea. She originally was a music major, wanted to become a music producer when she was older, people said. She took modern music, classical music, performance, music & technology and composition. And to take her mind off all that, she took economics. So that meant they had at least three subjects in common, which was both half of their total scedule. Krystal Jung was stuck with Amber Liu in a room, together with her hordes of fangirls, and it was incredibly annoying. You could never work properly when she was around. 

At a certain moment, she even started to develop a strong disliking for the girl. Her smug attitude, her confident strikes. It was for most people something to be jealous of, but Krystal couldn't wrap her head around it. She acted so tough, like nothing interested her. She was the kind of person that had bluffed her way through life, and still managed to get around. The class clown, the person everyone wanted to be. To Krystal, she was just a cheeky brat. Someone who didn't earn her thoughts and feelings. To set her irritations aside, she decided to to what was the easiest thing to do: to hate her. To not look at her, to ignore her or her existance and focus on her study only. She still wanted to be first in her year, and needlessly worrying about Amber Josephine Liu would do her no good. 

Sadly, Amber didn't think so. 
It was only a matter of time before the short-haired street rat would notice her. It was bound to happen. Everyone knew Amber, but everyone knew Krystal too. The daughter of Jung Internationals, daughter of a miljonair who was making more and more money every day. A great pair of brains and a pretty face and worshippable body. Krystal Jung had everything they wanted and managed to do just fine. 
It wasn't her intention to stand out. In fact, she was rather introverted, and liked to be alone. She did all of her projects alone, barely went to parties. She tried hard to blend into the crowd, but because of her background, she seemed to constantly wear a flickering pink neon-sign above her head that said "THIS GIRL WANTS A LOT OF UNWANTED ATTENTION". 
Krystal didn't exactly know why Amber came up to her that first time. Maybe she had just been intrigued now that there was another person standing in the spot lights. Perhaps was she annoyed that Krystal provoked the interest of others too, and not just her. Like there was a second sun in the universe; the gossips weren't all about Amber Liu anymore. 
It was after their performance practise that she came up to her. They were practising Othello, a piece of Shakespear that was all about love, jealousy, revenge and ambition. It showed that even people of noble houses could go down when they would let themselves lead by these traits. It was a piece that was dear to Krystal, a reminded to always stay thankful of what she got and to not get cocky. 
They met backstage, when Krystal was taking off her earpiece. She sat in front of a large mirror, trying to frumble the thing off her head. Amber had walked up to her, and at first had just leaned against the wall, looking to her. Krystal had ignored her and stubbornly continued to get the earpiece off. She hoped that Amber would just go away if she ignored her. Sadly, the -sure girl had other plans, to Krystal's annoyance. 
"You were very good there, on stage," she said. Krystal didn't look at her and shrugged. 
"I learned my lines," she said coldly. Amber and Krystal had had to do a scene together, only Amber hadn't known any of her lines. Of course, this wasn't surprising to her, but she was still annoyed because of it. 
"Yeah well, a person can't help it, right?" Amber had laughed. Krystal had shot her a look. 
"I think they can," she had just said. Finally, she got her earpiece off. Quickly, so that she could end the conversation, she put it down, and stood up to walk away. She almost made it to the exit, when she felt Amber's fingers grip her polse. She sighed, and turned around. 
"I mean it, you have talent. We should practise some more together, you know."
Krystal had snickered, and forcefully taken her hand back. 
"No thanks."
The brunette turned around and walked off the backstage, leaving a confused Amber. She reckoned it was probably the first time since she had been turned down.

In the weeks after, Amber tried several times to start a conversation with Krystal. Once she had approached her  in the library, asking if Krystal could help her with her economics homework. Krystal had explained the topic quickly, then added that her explanation was actually in vain because Amber didn't study nonetheless. The girl had laughed and shrugged, not even denying it. It was annoying. Five minutes later Krystal had packed her bags and had sat down somewhere else in the library.
The second time was when they were choosing a new play. It turned out to be Romeo and Juliet. Of course, Amber had been chosen as Romeo, since she was more suited for the role than the all of the other males and was pushing the director to cast Krystal for Juliet. Their director had taken it in consideration, but Krystal had immediately gotten up to him to ask him not to put her in the leading role. Eventually Stacy had become Juliet, to Amber's disliking and Krystal's relief. 
Krystal wasn't really a party animal, and after Amber had come up to her at Sulli's birthday party, she exactly knew why. The troublemaker had stayed with her all night and had followed her around the party. Holding doors, passing her drinks, asking her for truth or dare and spin the bottle. Krystal had gone home after two hours, not being able to stand Amber Josephine Liu for another second. She watched wryly how Amber snogged other girls and boys at spin the bottle and had rolled her eyes, her stomach turning of distaste. Her friend hadn't been pleased when she had discovered Krystal had left but she couldn't stand to be around her any longer.
Besides all of that, Amber seemed to just be highly interested in her. They often shared breaks together, with a whole bunch of other kids. When you were relaxing with a large group like that, you'd think that she'd be too occupied to think of Krystal. Oh how wrong she had been. Amber often glared at her from across the room. Krystal, often ignoring her, sometimes couldn't handle herself and shot a look back. At those times, Amber would wink and grin. The way she leaned against the wall with her arms crossed made the brunette roll her eyes. And the winking wasn't even the worst. When they had to get into the same classroom, Amber tended to hold the door for her. Or she accidentally bumped against her in the corridors and mutter cheesily: "Sorry, Princess." That nickname made her blood boil.
Krystal couldn't understand why her friends always spoke of her full of admiration. How could you admire a person like that?
Amber Liu was nothing more than an annoying rascal that had no respect for her university or other people with an wardrobe that consisted too much of black, ripped clothes.