Chapter fifteen

Remember me

Krystal stared in those deep, dark eyes... and they stared back at her. 
Unconsciously, she let her gaze run over her face, trying to find any changes in her appearance in comparison to her memories. Her nose was the same, her eyes had the same cocky look in them, still held those kissable lips that had only gotten more attractive over time... 
She wore a black blouse that had once been tugged into her  dark gray jeans, by the sight of the wrinkles. The upper two buttons were loose, giving Krystal just enough sight to see where her started. She wore classic black shoes to give her outfit a fancy tint. 
But had her jaw line gotten sharper? Had she lost weight? By the look of her body she hadn't, perhaps even gained some.  There was a new helix piercing in either of her ears and her sleeve of tattoos had expanded itself all the way up to her shoulder and past. She looked older by the wrinkles in her face and because of her pushed up hair that wasn't black anymore, but a sandy brown with darker undertones. Matured by age, Amber Josephine Liu was more attractive than she had been eight years ago.
And all Krystal could do was just stare while her heart jumped and her belly filled itself with that special tickly feeling that she hadn't felt in so many years. 
She opend to say something, but not she was too slow. 
"Krystal, I'd almost think you lost your graciousness," chuckled Amber lowly. Her voice was felt like a hit in the face. Perhaps that was why her cheeks turned red. 
"Why-why are you here?" she blurted out. Her voice was too high and hoarse to sound normal. 
"Well, I was invited. I wouldn't want to miss your inauguration, would I?" she laughed, before winking. Krystal stared her with an open mouth. She wanted to say so much more, but before she could even just clear , she heard someone call her from in the distance. 
Kai had spotted her in the mass of people, and was now making his way through them to get to her, friendly pushing them aside or asking of they could move so he could get to his girlfriend. Krystal and Amber looked both up to him, although Amber with the smug smile that hadn't changed in those eight years and Krystal with a straight face. 
"Why do you let your fiancé wait so long? I was hoping to catch a drink with you, Krystal," Kai said smiling, when he was only a few metres away. Amber started to laugh, and didn't even try to hide her amusement. 
"Fiancé? You sure have been busy, have you?" she laughed. Kai looked away from his girlfriend to Amber. The sweet smile slowly faded from his face and his eyebrows knotted together. For a moment, he let his eyes run over Amber, then turned back to Krystal. 
"Who's that?" he asked, completely ignoring Amber's presence. 
"Oh of course, we have never met before. I'm Amber Liu. My father is the Chairman of Liu Economics. Nice to meet you," Amber said, in an exeggarated posh accent, which made Kai frown even deeper. 
"Do you two know each other?" he asked Krystal. Before she could shake her head, Amber started to chuckle again. 
"Of course we do. Very well, in fact."
"From wha-"
"It doesn't matter how we know each other," Krystal snapped. "It has been a long time since we met. We're practically strangers."
Amber shrugged. 
"Might be, but people barely change. I knew you once, I still know you. And-"
"AMBER!"
From the crowd came a high pitched yell, making all three of them turn around to face whoever was yelling. Much quicker and clumsier, a young woman came racing towards them in her stiletto's. Amber started to grin and chuckle. Krystal and Kai both raised their eyebrows, although Kai curiously and Krystal sceptically. The woman stopped when she had reached them, and immediately twisted her arm through Amber's, pressing her body so close towards her that Krystal couldn't surpress a small frown. With a smile that was as bright as beams of sunlight, the woman turned towards them. 
She was tiny, despite her heels, and knew how to use her body. With a tight black dress that ended barely over her , long straight hair that just met her shoulders, sweet brown eyes and natural make-up on her face, she was a sight of sore eyes. Krystal's stomach twisted. 
"Let me introduce you to my girlfriend, Krystal. This is Luna."
Krystal's mind immediately went the wrong places when Amber introduced Luna as her girlfriend. She pictured them how they used to be, cuddled up on the couch, Amber striking a loose strand of hair behind her ear and flashing her sweet smiles, kissing her softly on the lips, carassing her when she felt bad, hugging her from behind when she cooked for her, being the bigger spoon when they laid together in bed... 
Her stomach turned. 
But didn't she know her from somewhere? The shape of her face, that dazzling smile and most of all the name, it made her start to wonder if she hadn't seen her somewhere. Had they attended the same high school? Had they shared a class together at the university? It was at the tip of her tongue...  
"Luna? Aren't you that new artist? You know, with Free Somebody?" Kai asked before she could. He did a terrible expression of the chorus, making both Amber and Luna laugh. Luna's chuckle was sweet and high and nice to listen to. Krystal knew she'd hate this girl before the evening was over. 
"Yes, that's me," she said, with a hint of shyness in her voice. 
"Ah wow, I'm such a fan! Your album was amazing. Didn't you write My Medicine for your mother?" asked Kai curiously. Luna laughed sweetly and nodded. 
"I did. She loved it!" she exclaimed. 
"Really, that's awesome! Actually, why don't you two come and sit with us tonight? I was just having a drink with Krystal, you should come!" Kai said. 
Krystal immediately shot him a warning glance as discreetly as she could, but he didn't see her angry look. And she couldn't make him aware without being noticed, so she just kept staring at him hoping that he'd notice the clue. Of course he didn't. 
Luna and Amber exchanged a look, but both smiled after a matter of milliseconds and turned back towards her and Kai. 
"Of course, we'd love to!" Luna chimed. Amber smiled widely too. Krystal bit down upon her lip and nodded stiffly, whilst Kai showed the other two a big grin. He wrapped her arm around her waist and pulled her closer. In response, Amber took Luna's hand. For a moment, it almost seemed like she endearingly smiled to Krystal, but when she blinked again, Amber's eyes had moved and her smile had grown kinder. Had she just imagined that? 
Kai led them all to a quieter corner, with a few lounge couches. He asked Amber and Luna what they wanted to drink — pure whiskey and white wine — and walked off, not needing to know her favourite drink because they had been together for so long it'd be shameful to even ask. 
An awkward silence settled in between them, one that Krystal didn't dare to break. She had crossed her legs and her arms, looking down to the ground to avoid Amber's eyes and especially Luna's. To see the somewhat older woman who had made a career in the same branch Amber worked at so close to the woman she used to love almost crumbled her heart. To see how they intertwined their fingers and how Amber had laid her arm over Luna's shoulders, pulling her closer to so that Luna was almost on her lap made her sick to her stomach. And let's not forget the soft whispering, sometimes broken apart by some giggles or the light sound of Luna's laughter, and the kissing noises she heard. It drove her crazy, right over the edge in a matter of seconds.  
The longer she stared to the floor, the angrier she became. Not just at Amber, but mostly at herself. 
How could she let Amber Josephine Liu get to her head again? It felt like she was a college student all over again. The troublemaker made her feel annoyed all over again with the exact same behaviour she displayed during college. Amber had not changed a single bit and still was the obvious play girl who loved to toy with girls' hearts, keeping herself amused until she grew bored of them and broke up with them. Krystal hadn't heard anything in the news about Amber and Luna's relationship, but perhaps they hadn't come out yet, so she doubted the two were thick. At least, that was what she hoped. 
Realizing that she hoped Amber and Luna were only just dating, or just dating to pass the time made her even angrier at herself. How did she even dare to try to think of that? Why would she even want to hope that they were at the edge of breaking up? They didn't seem to be, that's what made it even worse. Krystal had caught herself hoping that they would break their beautiful relationship so she would feel a little better. 
Knowing that Amber was in a ty relationship too would make her feel better. That not only she had ed up her life and was about to marry someone she didn't love at all. 
She hated herself for even thinking that. Of course she wanted Amber to be happy after all that had happened between them. Amber deserved someone too who would take care of her well. Krystal had Kai, her Prince Charming, her fiancé, her soon-to-be-husband. Didn't Amber deserve Luna too?
At that thought, Krystal felt how her stomach clenched together and a frown grow on her face. 

Kai returned with their drinks, placing a whiskey in front of Amber, a white wine in front of Luna, a red one in front of Krystal and took his own mixed drink in his hand. He sat down next to her and at the sight of Amber and Luna, he took Krystal closer too. She could smell his aftershave; she had never liked it much. It was too strong. During the course of the night his deodorant had worn off and her fiancé now wore the smell of sweat odouring from under his armpits. 
Krystal immediately tried to move away from him, but his arms felt like iron around her body; she could only just more to grab her drink. Luna followed her lead and took a sip from her wine as well. The big difference between Krystal and Luna was now that Luna took tiny little sips whilst Krystal tried to empty her glass in one go. The alcohol burned slightly in , but it wasn't enough to make her not notice how Luna let her and Amber's fingers intertwine. She felt nauseous. 

During the course of the evening, their glasses were refilled a couple of times. After her first glass of wine — which was way too light for the situation she was in now — Krystal switched to whiskey too. Kai had given her a strange look, since he had never seen her drink whiskey before. The first sip was amazing. burned and she loved the feeling of physical pain over the emotional pain she was going through now. 
She didn't participate much in the conversation, often dozing off in her own thoughts — which were mainly shameful fantasies about her and Amber being back together again — without noticing that there was being spoken to her. Sometimes she chuckled along to a joke Luna made, but that was all. For once in her life she was glad Kai was with her. 
Krystal couldn't help to notice that Amber was weirdly quiet as well. Perhaps, had she grown quieter over the course of the years? It didn't seem likely, but was there another explanation? Krystal found herself matching Amber's drinking speed and together they devoured drink after drink. 
"Slow down, tiger, we still need to drive home, you know?" Kai once chuckled. Krystal had shot him a glare that told him to shut his mouth. It was her party, could she not get wasted because her incredible y ex was right in front of her with another girl on her lap and she was stuck with some boring man? 
Amber had merely chuckled at her gaze and emptied her own glass as well. 

Near midnight, a man stapped towards the group of four. He surprised Luna by placing his hands over her eyes from behind. 
"JAMES!" Luna immediately chimed and she slapped his hands away. She jumped up from the couch and into the arms of the male. Krystal and Kai exchanged a look. Amber looked at her girlfriend hugging her friend with a smile on her face. Luna and James took a moment to quickly catch up on somethings by both ranting in a high pitched, quick voice to each other. The conversation was hard to follow for an outsider and Krystal already had trouble concentrating because of the alcohol. She could already feel her head get fuzzy and she knew she wasn't far from being drunk. 
After a few minutes, Luna turned towards Amber with an apologetical smile on her face. 
"Do you mind if I go with James? I kind of promised to see his new apartment a few days ago," Luna said. Amber shrugged and showed her a smile. 
"Of course not, you go ahead. I'll see you tomorrow at work," she replied. Luna grinned widely, bowed down and planted a sloppy kiss on Amber's cheek. The troublemaker closed her eyes for a moment, then watched Luna go with James, her arm hooked through his, still chatting at that loud quick tone. 
A silence settled between them once Luna was out of sight. Krystal and Amber had stayed mainly quiet during the whole evening. The conversation was led by Kai and Luna, both the most talkative of the two couples. Now that Luna was gone, Kai had no one to talk to and for some reason Amber wasn't that appealing. 
In Krystal's eyes, she was and she could not understand that Amber wasn't interesting enough to ask about. If she hadn't known everything about her already, she would have been so curious about her. Amber was mysterious, the way she sat with her legs slightly spread and her dark eyes on everything and everyone, observing them quietly. That smug smile on her face, like she had just discovered the answers to every single question in the world. Her cocky way of straightening her back or tilting her head slightly to the left when she knew she was right. It was downright intrigueing. How could Kai not think so? 

After a few minutes of silence and sipping drinks silently, Kai cleared his throat. 
"Shall I get us some more drinks then? Two whiskey?" he said. Amber and Krystal nodded without saying at thing. Her awkward fiancé took their glasses and walked back towards the bar, leaving Amber and Krystal together alone for the first time tonight. 
Krystal had wanted Kai to leave, but now that she was alone with Amber, the girl suddenly didn't seem to be interested in observing other people anymore. As soon as Kai had turned his back towards them, Amber lifted her gaze to meet Krystal's eyes. Her smug smile grew a little wider. 
"What?" Krystal asked. 
"Nothing. Can't I just look at you?" asked Amber amusedly. 
"That's for lovers," stated Krystal. 
"We once were, what's the difference?"
"Only that we are not now and that you have Luna," hissed Krystal. Amber laughed and shook her head slowly. 
"She's not my girlfriend," she laughed. Krystal raised her eyebrows in a questioning look. It only took a few seconds before she squinted her eyes suspiciously. 
"I do no tlike people who lie."
"Hmm, let me state it differently. We're... friend with benefits. We hang with each other when we're bored, occasionally have ual when we feel like it. Idols aren't allowed to date and I have not found someone who is worth my time yet. In the mean time we stay together. We're best friends and pretend-lovers. I can introduce her as my friend or girlfriend however I want to."
"Then why did you tell me that she's your girlfriend?" asked Krystal. Had she worried all night for nothing? No, not for nothing. Luna was still incredibly close with Amber and spent nights with her Krystal could only dream of. 
"Because I wanted to make you jealous."
Amber sounded so casual that her words almost felt like a hit in the face.
"Do you think my feelings are a joke to you?" she hissed. 
Amber shot her a big grin.
"In contrary; they're fascinating. Because I have been thinking, Krystal. You don't even like whiskey, or the feeling of getting drunk, then why have you drunk so much this evening that you have trouble fixing your eyes on me?" she said. 
Krystal clutched her hands together in a fist, holding in a growl. Had Amber been quiet because she had been observing [i]her[/i] all night? The idea startled her a bit, mostly because her mind immediately wanted to assume that it was because she was way more interesting than Luna. And perhaps, Amber thought so too. But Krystal wasn't a woman who gambled; so she didn't assume anything and banned the thought from her mind. Even though, she found herself saying the most stupidest thing ever. 
"It's because I wanted you to realize what you missed all these years."
Amber huffed in delight, pulling her eyebrows up high on her forehead. 
"I'm not the one who ended us."
Amber's voice had grown softer, colder. It made her eyes grow even darker. A shiver ran down Krystal's spine when their eyes met. But she didn't look away. 
"Then tell me, Amber, why am I doing such crazy things even after all these years? Tell me why I still feel my heart beat faster when I see you even after breaking up with you eight years ago?"
A soft smile re Amber's face. 
"You tell me. Like you said, I'm nothing more than a beautiful stranger to you."
"That's not true..."
"Then I'm right; people barely change. We know each other, whether we like it or not," Amber said nonchalantly. Krystal bit down on her lip. 
Amber let a silence fall between them for a couple of seconds, giving Krystal time to think about that, before she continued. 
"And that means, love never dissolves. Once something had sparked between two people, it will never dissapear. So that's what I guess you feel now. And is that ridiculous? No. It's simply ridiculous to trade a wealthy, handsome man in for some street brat who has never changed, isn't it?"
Krystal rolled her eyes and crossed her legs. 
"Have you become a philosopher or something?" asked Krystal. Although, she had always known that Amber had a deep mind; it didn't surprise her at all.
Amber laughed at her response and shrugged. Their eyes met. It seemed like the colour of Amber's eyes constantly switched between brown and black, depending on whether there was a sparkle in her eyes or not. There was one now. 
"No, simply a song writer. You tend to think more about things with a job like that," said Amber, shrugging. Both of the girls chuckled. The heavy air had cleared between them and it had almost made Krystal feel calm again. But still, the presence of Amber made something stir in her lower belly that was hard to ignore. It was a mixture of nervousness and delight, causing her to be intertwined in a dilemma about staying on her side of the couch or getting over and kissing her. 
Krystal stayed where she was and didn't move. 

Kai returned a few moments later with the drinks, but as soon as he sat down in between them again, Amber stood up. 
"Krystal and I have to use the restroom for a minute, could you excuse us?" Amber asked sweetly. Krystal blinked surprisedly at the tone in her voice. Kai frowned. 
"The two of you? Why can't girls go alone to the toilet?" he muttered. Kai shot her a glance that told her not to go, but Krystal found herself already getting up. 
"Well, you know, Hermione got attacked by a troll in the toilets, so it's safer for girls to go together."
Amber chuckled softly at the reference to the famous books of J.K. Rowling, but Kai didn't get the joke and just waved them off. Krystal remembered them having a Harry Potter marathon together when they were young.
"Guess I'll drink everything myself then," he said dissapointedly. 
"Don't whine, we're back in five," answered Amber a bit annoyedly, whilst rolling her eyes. 
They walked off together, towards the toilets, leaving Kai. Krystal got more nervous with every step she took, even though they were only going to pee. To be alone with Amber was simply nervous making.
"Aren't the employees' toilets cleaner? Let's go there," said Amber, when they reached the public restrooms. Krystal nodded, almost in a daze, and followed Amber towards the employees' restroom. It was crazy to walk after someone in her own building, but she didn't say anything. 
They reached the restrooms and went in by a swipe of Krystal's keycard. The door fell shut behind them. It was a small room with only one sink and a big mirror. With only two doors leading towards the toilets, it was cramped, even for two people. 
"I needn't to pee," said Krystal. Amber turned towards her and flashed her smug grin. 
"Me neither."
"Then why-" started Krystal, but at the moment she started her sentence she knew. She knew by the darkening of Amber's eyes. There was a silence of a second at most before they jumped on each other. Clumsily their bodies connected in a knot of limps, hair and clothes. Their lips found each other, too roughly, too willingly for it to be sweet. They weren't kids anymore. The liquor she tasted on Amber's lips proved that.
Krystal's back hit the wall, causing a groan to leave . Amber's arms were curled around her waist but moved to her neck to let her fingers tangle in her hair. In the mean time, Krystal clawed at her back and ran with her own hands through her short strands as well. They were a mess of moans and the kisses were full of bottled up desire and love that the two of them hadn't been able to express for years. Now that they had finally found each other again, it was a waste to spend minutes not kissing each other. 
Amber had found her neck, and now pressed deep kisses on her sensitive skin, nibbling and biting as well too. Krystal gasped and squinted her eyes shut some more. Whilst Amber moved down and down, she found herself breathing heavier and heavier. 
"I have missed you... , I have missed you so much," she moaned. Amber looked up from her neck, smiled and laid her hand softly in her neck. 
"I have missed you too, Princess."