Chapter five

Remember me

Krystal's mouth grew dry. She was painfully aware how Amber tightened her grip on her hand, and looked back towards the city. At the moment when the silence became too uncomfertable, and Krystal's mind started to wander where it shouldn't wander, Amber spoke up.
"So, do you dare to sit on the edge? I think it's best to eat the ramen now, otherwise it'll get too cold," she said. Krystal had to blink a few times, and get her concentration back. It took her a few moments before she was able to process what Amber was saying, but then she nodded. At least, if Amber could sit at the edge, so could she. 
Amber let go of her hand, and Krystal found herself wishing she hadn't. But she didn't complain. Oh no, Krystal Jung didn't give in to weakness. She sat down next to her, taking the bowl of their already cooled down ramen in her hands. Amber clinked the bowls together, smiling broadly to her. Krystal noticed that her eyes sparkled again. Was it because they sat at the edge of the building, with a drop of more than thirty meters  below them? It wasn't that adventurous, right? Then what made her eyes sparkle like that? 
"Cheers," the troublemaker laughed. Krystal smiled back and nodded. Amber started to shove huge bites of ramen into , not caring whether it was falling out because it wouldn't fit anymore. Krystal took small bites, like her father taught her to. Especially with ramen, you tend to eat very sloppily because it was so hard to get everything into your mouth. After a while, and watching Amber eat her ramen quickly and sloppily, Krystal decided that it wouldn't matter whether she eat neatly right now. She was with Amber Josephine Liu, for God's sake, not some fancy business party where you were immediately socially punished if you didn't know the etiquettes. Amber didn't seem to know them at all, and seemed to enjoy her food much more that way. Krystal copied her, and started to shove the food into . Her stomach, which had been growling all night, finally became satisfied. 
Together they munched on the food. The only sound piercing through the silence was their jaws moving over the asian snack, swallowing it afterwards.
Amber put her empty bowl down when Krystal was only half way through. With a sigh, she stretched her body, and whiped the leftovers from her lips. Krystal went back to small, moderate bites when Amber turned her head towards her. The brunette pretended not to notice, but she felt the dark, deep eyes of the girl pierce through her skin. 
Amber didn't say anything, eventually turning her gaze back to the city, until Krystal also placed her empty bowl on the edge, whilst letting out a small sigh. It had been a while since she had been so full, and it felt really good. The ramen warmed her body a little, and it made the cold, windy roof less unpleasant. 
"It's a bit cold here, shall we sit somewhere warmer?" Amber asked. Krystal looked up to her and nodded. With the agility of a monkey, it seemed, Amber got up from the edge and stood up. She offered Krystal her hand, to help her stand up. The brunette took it, and let Amber help her. 
Amber walked over to the other side of the roof, there where the ventilation system ended. It was a small, square block, with one side that was an opening for the ventilation system inside the building. Amber sat down against the back of the block, and pulled up collar of her jacket. With her body facing the other way, Amber prevented the wind from blowing in her face, causing her to be a lot warmer than back at the edge. 
Krystal sat down next to her and buttoned the last button of her coat up, so that her neck was protected too. Amber opened her backpack, and took out all of the leftover food they had bought. She opened the big 2 litres bottle of Coca Cola and started to drink huge sips, straight out of the bottle. When she was done, she offered the it to Krystal. She doubted for a moment, then took it from her and took a few sips too. Since she had never been good with carbonated drinks, she put it away rather soon. In the mean while, Amber had opened the bags of chips and cookies. She had taken a handful of chips and was now eating them by two. Krystal took a chocolate chip cookie, mostly because she otherwise would feel guilty for not eating. 
From here the view over the city was less beautiful than from the edge where they had eaten their ramen, but Krystal couldn't complain. She was still able to let her gaze wander over the thousands of little lights in the distance. It still warmed her heart to look like this.
Did you already change your mind about me?"
Krystal had been too transfixed on the city to notice Amber had turned her head towards her. Her voice pulled her out of her trance, and she forced herself to concentrate on the girl next to her. When she also turned her head, she noticed how close they were, almost as close as they had been during the dance earlier this evening. She found herself minding it less than it once had. 
She pulled a face, then shrugged. 
"Maybe..." she said softly. Krystal wouldn't admit that her previous disliking for the brat had decreased drastically. In fact, she didn't mind at all being on this roof with Amber Josephine Liu, whilst the thought alone would've already annoyed her a few days ago. 
Amber only chuckled. They both turned their head towards the city again. 

But as soon as the silence fell Krystal started to wonder. Her mind went back to the moment she had asked whether Amber took all of the girls she meant to have with to this rooftop and she had answered that she had been the only person who had come here. It didn't make sense. Either Amber was lying, or Krystal was worth much more to her than she knew. It was the most logical that Amber was simply lying to her. That she brought up all the cute girls she was interested in - when they weren't already swooning at her feet - and showed them this beautiful sight. She showed that she could not only be badass and amazingly attractive, but also deep and caring. Krystal had to watch out that she wouldn't start crying all out of a sudden. 
But the second option kept repeating in her head. Part of her wanted it to be true. That she was entangled in a star-crossed love story where she was the oblivious girl that didn't notice the other lead's feelings. That the other person had been in love for her for years already and that she was just too dumb to notice. That Amber in fact did all those stupid things to make Krystal notice her, whether it was for the good or the bad... Why else would she come all the way to the conference party, whilst her father had told that she normally didn't come along. Amber had tried so hard to make Krystal like her over the course of the evening, all on her own special kind of way. Why would she even care about whether or not Krystal liked her? A girl like Amber Liu didn't care for anything. 
Krystal tried to push these thoughts out of her head, but it was hard not to play with them. For a moment, the image of Amber kissing her went through her mind, and Krystal got startled of her own thoughts. She bit her lip softly, and from that moment tried to keep herself under control. She probably was lying anyway. And if she wasn't, then she probably hadn't taken her here because they were the new Romeo and Juliet. 
She was shivering, and she hadn't noticed so until Amber had wrapped her arm around her shoulders. Krystal shockedly looked up to her, at first wanting to swat her hands away. Amber wouldn't budge. 
"You look like you just jumped in ice water, your lips are all blue. Let me warm you up," she said. The brunette frowned her eyebrows and opened to say something. The brat looked back at her with a look that said I-won't-let-you-go-no-matter-how-much-you-protest, so Krystal just let her arm rest on her shoulders. A small sigh left when she indeed felt warmer after a few minutes. She almost wanted to let her head rest upon Amber's shoulder, but thought otherwise just in time. 
"Amber..." she said quietly. It was strange to speak out her name. She had never spoken out her name so sincerely and had often referred to her as 'that ' or 'that rascal'. 
The other girl looked up. 
"Are you.. are you going to follow your father in his footsteps?"
Amber made a sound; a mix between a huff and a chuckle at the same time. She ran with her hand through her hair, taking her time before she answered Krystal. 
"Why are you asking about my father? What, are you hoping I'll end up CEO of his company, so that we can see each other even after we have graduated?" she laughed. The brunette poked her in her side, shooting her a grimanced look. Amber laughed, and rubbed over the sore spot. 
"Nah. I'll never be rich. Unless my father unexpectately dies and leaves all his money to me, I don't think I'll ever make it as much as him. I'd never even want to, you know."
"Why not?" Krystal asked. In her family, had been crystal clear that she would be the heir of Jung Internationals. After her father would be too old to stay in this high and exhausting position, his second daughter would become the new CEO. With Charles Jung as mentor, a degree in economics and a few years of experience, she theoretically would be able to make it. Her whole life had she trained for that moment, to climb to the top and break the glass wall that was always there for women. Now that she had connections in this life, she wanted to use them to the fullest to come to the highest positions he could get. The warnings about being lonely and all the concequences that came with being lonely in a top position didn't scare her. Krystal knew she'd be able to handle that, partly because she grew up with that since her youth. 
Krystal couldn't imagine that someone wouldn't want to become a CEO. Someone who earns a lot of money, has power and will marry happily to a beautiful husband or wife. Get children to care for. Once you had taken opportunity of that life style, it could make you so much more happier than living a life worrying about money. How could Amber not want that. 
"You really don't know?" asked Amber. Krystal frowned her eyebrows. Did she miss something? Was it that obvious that people wouldn't want a good job? She blinked a couple of times in confusement. Amber smiled to her like a mother smiles to her child whenever they had said something dumb, but were incredibly proud of. They didn't know it was dumb, because they were simply too innocent.
"My father and I are very alike. People tend to say I'm his female version," Amber started. "But we have one thing that differs us from each other. My father is strongly convinced that work is the most important thing in life. His family, his wife, always came second. That's probably why our fathers like each other so much; they think the same way. I am used to it, you know, that he puts his work over my mother, my sister and me. I have learned to live with it. As a child, it hurted, when he couldn't be at my first theatre performance, or when I graduated from high school. I don't think like that anymore. I know he tries his best, and that he works so hard for us, but... knowing what I went through when I was a child, I don't want to do that to my child. I want to be at their first performance, even if they have no lines. I want to be there at night to cuddle with them, and my wife. And most of all, I want to give them all the love they deserve. Of course, a good job would be great. I hope I make it as a music producer, that'd just be awesome, you know? But I choose love above work, so I won't persue my father in his career. I'm simply not made for a life like that and I don't think the money is worth it. My sister, Jackie, will persue father, though. But me... nah. I think I'll just find a chill job that I love and won't ever grow tired of, marry happily and get a house full of children. That's what I want, not to earn loads of money."
Krystal listened to her words with a strange transfiction. The way she spoke was almost hypnotizing because she was so sure of herself. But wasn't Amber Liu always sure about herself? The girl breathed confidence. 
Even though, her normally loud voice had reduced to a tiny one, sounding almost soft, almost sweet. The girl didn't seem so tough anymore, with her dark hair and her tattoos and her piercings. Like she was nothing more than a broken person, like Krystal was. 
The brunette's throat clenched. Amber looked back up to her and shot her a small smile. 
"That's why we don't get along. You're like your father, like my father. I just am not. I like to get the best out of my life whilst having fun, whilst you have ambition. I admire that."
Krystal stayed silent, and took her eyes off the other girl. With a heavy heart, she let out a sigh. Amber's words made her think, since she had never seen quite another perspective in this matter. Both of her parents were, as the troublemaker stated it, very 'ambitious', and had passed that onto their two daughters. Jessica, despite not wanting to be the next CEO, was very driven when it came to becoming an idol too. Their whole family strived for perfection, for the highest level possible, always. Krystal had been brought up thinking that was the right and only way, that slacking in life would not bring you any good and you'd regret it later when you'd end up working in a Walmart. 
Amber proved to be different. She wasn't afraid to end up in a Walmart store. In fact, she seemed to embrace it. Of course she wanted it to work out to become a music producer but Krystal guessed that, as long as she had love — a healthy family, a lover, friends — it didn't matter how much money she had or what kind of job she went to every morning. It was a strange, liberating way of thinking. It fit her. Being confident that you can be happy despite not achieving the best possible was something to be proud of. Krystal didn't know how that felt like, and she doubted she would ever know. She'd never be as confident as Amber. 

Without thinking, she let her head rest upon Amber's shoulder. Startled by her own action, she at first wanted to pull it back, especially when she felt how Amber's shoulder tensed as soon as her head rested upon it. Though, part of her knew that it would be of no use; that if she really had a problem with leaning against the brat's body that her subconsciousness would've never given in to piece of her that had stopped hating Amber Liu. And since Amber didn't shake her off, they just stayed that way. Amber eventually eased into the postition, which surprisingly took rather long, knowing how extroverted she usually was. Krystal didn't think she'd ever have problems with human touches. Although, now that Amber had confessed all these deep thoughts to her, she wondered if she really was an extrovert. The longer Krystal seemed to know Amber, the more they looked alike.
The conversation fell silent, and both girls just enjoyed the view. The snacks were long forgotten. Neither of them felt hungry enough.

"Well, what about you? Now that you've taken a look into my life, I can ask a question in return, right?" Amber said, after a while. Krystal looked up to her, though not taking her head off her shoulder, and nodded. 
"You may."
That's how their conversation started. Just an endless string of personal questions, some as deep as Krystal's question whether Amber was going to follow her father's footsteps, others as simple as 'What's your favourite colour?'. They asked each other everything they wanted to know. Amber's favourite animal was a dog, because she thought she resembled one. Krystal's favourite colour was purple. Amber wanted to have three kids later whilst Krystal either zero or one. If she'd have enough money, Amber wanted to make a world trip. Krystal agreed with that, although money would not be the issue if she finally got her job at Jung Internationals. 
The more questions were asked, the more Krystal felt sympathic with the rascal. She turned out not to be that bad at all, when you looked through the cheeky grin,  the confidence strikes and the -sure attitude. In fact, Amber was very emotional, and was a poetic thinker. It surprised Krystal that she hadn't become a philosophy major. It made sense that she wanted to be a music producer though, because she wanted to produce songs with a meaning, songs that made her heart ache. 
Krystal had never thought she'd be like that. Usually, when she was proven wrong, Krystal was hit by feelings like annoyance and guilt for not knowing. Now, she didn't feel like that. She didn't care about being proven wrong. She was glad.