Chapter seventeen

Remember me

Krystal woke up to soft beams of sunshine peeking through the half closed curtains lightening the room. Amber still had her arms wrapped around her waist and she could feel the steady breathing on her shoulder. Slowly, she opened her eyes, to let them get used to the light. She yawned, despite it being 11.30 AM. 
Krystal turned around in Amber's arms to watch her. A small smile appeared on her face when she saw that small frown on her forehead again. Another maths equation? She chuckled softly. 
Krystal started to press kisses on her lover; on her forehead, her cheek, her nose, her shoulder, her arms, her hands, her fingers. It took her only a few minutes before Amber woke up by the feeling of Krystal's lips against her skin. The other woman opened her eyes slowly. A sleepy smile grew on her face when she saw that Krystal was looking at her. 
"Good morning,  Princess."
Amber's voice was raspy and she had to cough a few times to clear it up. Krystal chuckled, propped herself up on one elbow and moved forewards to kiss her on the lips. Who cared that they hadn't brushed their teeth yet? 
Amber kissed her back willingly and when they broke up they both sank back into the sea of pillows that covered Amber's bed. 
"Did you sleep well?" asked Krystal. Amber nodded then stretched. The sheets got pulled a little backwards, revealing her still bare s. Krystal couldn't help to let her eyes dwell off because Amber didn't seem to care to pull the sheets back. Was she really that confident? Krystal tried to contain a smile. Of course she was, this is Amber Liu she's talking about.
"Hmm-hmm," nodded Amber. "What about you?"
"I have gotten a good night's rest for the first time in weeks, I'm pretty content," laughed Krystal. Amber rose her eyebrows up to half past her forehead. 
"You weren't supposed to get a good night's rest!" she complained loudly. "I have failed!"
Krystal laughed and slapped her across the shoulder, causing the other to burst out in laughter too. Amber placed her hands around her cheeks and pulled her closer for another kiss. It felt so good, Krystal thought, this feels so damned good. Her belly had turned with butterflies when they broke apart and she couldn't help to grin. How wonderful was it to feel loved again. 
Right at the moment Krystal wanted to bow in for another kiss, she heard a low grumbling noise. They both looked up, then started to laugh. 
"I guess I'm hungry," chuckled Amber. "Care to get some breakfast? I feel like going to a diner. Denny's, perhaps."
Krystal placed her index finger on her lower lip and cocked her head to the left, as if she was thinking. Eventually she made a 'tch'-noise by letting air escape through her teeth. 
"I really have to go," she said softly. Amber frowned, then chuckled and shook her head. 
"Well, I promised to drive you home myself and I want to get breakfast at Danny's."
Krystal huffed at Amber's cocksureness. 
"Oh, you're such an-"
"Hmm, yes, what am I? Adorable, I know right!" exclaimed Amber. Krystal shook her head. 
"You're an , that's what you are."
"Well you are what you eat so-"
"AMBER!"
They both burst out in laughter again. Krystal tried to get out of the bed as quickly as possible, but Amber had wrapped herself around her waist to keep her in the bed. They struggled for a moment in the bed that turned out to become a real competiting who was able to hold the other down longer. Krystal eventually managed to get on top whilst pressing Amber's wrists down into the pillows above her head. Their faces were so close that Krystal could feel Amber's fastened breath upon her lips. Amber chuckled. 
"Oh no, you got me. You're lucky I haven't eaten yet otherwise I would've won from you so badly!"
Krystal rolled her eyes. 
"You would've won from me no matter what because you're at least twice as strong as I am but you're letting me win now," she replied. Amber raised her eyebrows. 
"How did you know?"
"Because I've seen your biceps last night, and I know what they can do," replied Krystal with a wink. Amber laughed and pressed a kiss on her lips. She freed her hands without much effort — even though Krystal really tried to keep them above her head — and wrapped them around her waist. They rolled over and this time Amber was on top. She brought her face close to hers and at the moment Krystal thought she was about to kiss her, Amber moved to her ear. 
"I thought you liked being the bottom?"
Her cheeks immediately started to burn. Amber bowed back and started to chuckle at her red face. Krystal immediately pushed her away, back into the blankets and got on op of her as soon as possible. She knew she wouldn't look very convincing in Amber's t-shirt, no bra and her underwear of last night but she wanted to try either way. Amber let her press her arms above her head again. Her eyes sparkled when she looked at Krystal. 
"Well, maybe you should let me be the top the next time, see how that turns out," she said softly. Krystal flashed a smile before she started to place feather light kisses in Amber's neck. Amber tugged at Krystal's grip, but not hard enough for her to let go. Her lips trailed down, over the sensitive skin in her neck to her collar bone and eventually her the beginning of s too. When she felt Amber move her chest up and she could feel her breathing get heavier, she knew she had done her job well. 
"So there's gonna be a next time?" Amber breathed. Right before Krystal's mouth would find her , she looked up with a bright smile and shrugged. Fast as lightning, she jumped off of Amber and got out of bed. 
"I don't know!" she chuckled. "Didn't you want to go to Danny's?"
Amber looked at her in confusion. When she realized that she had been tricked, she growned and threw her head back into the pillows. 
"You're terrible."
"I know. But I'm hungry so let's go."
Amber looked at her from the bed and shook her head. 
"I don't want to go with you anymore."
Krystal tilted her head and smiled sweetly. Too sweet for someone who really means well. 
"Okay well then I don't want to go to bed with you anymore," she said stubbornly. Amber's head shot up and she immediately jumped out of bed. With a few quick strikes she had reached Krystal. Without any effort she lifted the other girl up and threw her over her shoulder. Krystal yelped and tried to Amber to put her down, but she was too strong so she eventually just gave up and let her carry her to the living room.
"Okay, let's go! Go go go!" she laughed. Krystal rolled her eyes, but couldn't hide her own chuckles as well. 

Danny's was crowded, even at lunch. Luckily there had been a table for two. With much regret she shot a excusing smile to the waiting family that had already been there before they got in. 
Krystal had borrowed clothes from Amber, because she didn't feel much like to go back out of the apartment in her dress from last night. It smelled of sweat and alcohol and she already felt dirty because of the previous night and the fact that she hadn't been able to take a shower before she left the apartment so she had borrowed some clothes from Amber. 
Luckily Amber's clothes were freshly washed and felt nice and soft against her sore skin. She had traded the black t-shirt with white little lightnings for a white shirt which she had tugged into one of Amber's tight black jeans. The shirt was a little too big for her and the jeans a little too small, because Amber's legs were shorter than hers, but overall she wasn't dissapointed with her look.
Amber hadn't bothered to do her hair and simply wore a snapback. She looked like she just had emerged from bed — which she actually had — with her thick black sweater and her baggy jeans and sneakers. 
With Amber's thick bags under her eyes and Krystal's messy hair they really looked like people who had had a rough night and they were also treated as such. The waitresses often came to fill their coffee cups again which was a luxury that they both liked to get used to. In silence they ate their breakfast and drank their coffee. Krystal had called Kai during the breakfast after having seen that he had called her five times this morning. He had been mad at her and they had argued over the phone for at least a quarter before she hung up annoyedly. He had started to complain about her not coming home nor informing her that she stayed over at someone else's place. Kai had been actually offended that she hadn't rushed home this morning to apologize and, 'just went out to have dinner like nothing had happened'. Krystal had tried to calmly tell him to off, only with nicer words. Amber had listened along and hadn't been able to hide her grin. Krystal had just shot her a non-amused look and had angrily taken a bite of her food. 
Krystal had also called the company to check if everything had gone well after she had left. Her personal assistant, Eloisa, had assured her that everything had been cleared from the entrance hall and that the room looked just like any other day. That had at least been able to comfort her a little. She now only had to deal with an angry fiancé. 
After three quarters they were done with eating and they made their leave. Krystal had wanted to pay for the food, but right at that moment she had gotten a call from her father, so Amber had secretly taken the bill and had paid for it. 
"You know, my salary is higher than yours so you should just let me-" Krystal had started to complain, but Amber had silenced her by grabbing her hand and placing the back of it to her lips. Krystal had been shut up immediately. 
"Why are you doing that?"
"What, paying for the bill?"
"Kissing my hand, stupid."
"Because I want to," Amber merely chuckled. Krystal pressed her lips together untill they formed a thin, pink line on her face. 
"We're not together..." she muttered. Did one night stands even kiss each other's hand? Were they affectionate to each other when the was over? Of course, Amber was not just an one night stand. She was special. But still, they weren't together. And how much Krystal hated it to admit, they both had someone else to love. 
She had always underestimated the feeling of forbidden love. When she had watched movies of starcrossed lovers, she had always simply thought that they should just be together, no matter the costs. Now that she was in such a situation herself, it wasn't so easy. She wished it was though, that she didn't have to choose between her work and the person who had snatched her heart away once more. 
Krystal knew that Amber had caught her heart last evening. When they had first met it took her a long time to realize that she had been in love with her all that time, that Amber hadn't been just a fling, because she simply had never been in love before. Now that she had experienced it once, she knew how to recognize it the second time, especially because the same person had made her fall back in love all over again. It was a weird feeling, to admit to herself that she was in love again with Amber after one night. Or perhaps, had she never fallen out of love?
"We're not together, but we once were. Love doesn't simply pass because you're distanced from each other, or when we're both tied to people we don't actually like," Amber simply said. But she did let Krystal's hand go, and she immediately regretted saying anything at all. Even though she wanted to grab her hand again and hold it into hers, intertwine their fingers together and never let go, she stayed silent. It was for the best. 
It was probably just a one night stand, she told herself. Perhaps, after today, they'd distance again and never talk to each other again. Then the problem would be solved, wouldn't it? 
The thought saddened her. 

 Amber drove Krystal home like she promised. A silence had settled between the two women, one that was aching to be broken. But Krystal didn't know what to ask. The only thing that was worth discussing was their relationship status right now. Were they strangers? Friends? Friends with benefits? Lovers...?
Krystal cringed at every word. She couldn't let Amber go anymore. It had been a mistake the last time and she had under gone the concequences for years after that. They'd never be strangers again. 
But friends? Had they ever been friends? Their relationship had gone from enemies to lovers in two days eight years ago. Krystal couldn't reckon she had ever thought of Amber as her friend. They had always been more than friends. 
And even though Krystal loved having with Amber — she had never met anyone who could make her feel better than her — it would feel empty to sneak out of her own apartment, away from Kai, to someone who could please her. Krystal already isn't good at dstinguish platonic feelings from romantic feelings and she wasn't the kind of person who was able to have with someone mindlessly without feeling something. , to her, was more than just an act. It was paired with feelings. Perhaps that was also why every attempt to ual with Kai had failed: she simply didn't love him. 
And lovers... What if they could be lovers again... Krystal let a sigh escape at the thought of holding Amber's hand again without feeling guilty. She could proudly say Amber was her girlfriend once more. Her stomach already twisted with delight when she only thought of it. But of course, there was no way that they were able to do that. Her father, her mother, Kai... They would never accept it. The wedding would be off. Krystal might even loose her job when it came out that she was in a relationship with a woman. Because of Amber's masculine appearance, they would be able to hide her gender, but Krystal simply didn't want to. She wanted people to know that she was a woman and that she was the most amazing woman she had ever met. 
They were probably stuck somewhere in between these for stadia and Krsytal hated it. She hated not knowing what she was up to. It made situations inpredictable. She knew that was how Amber liked it, but she liked to have a plan and when she didn't she got very insecure and doubtful. 

Amber had stopped in front of Krystal's apartment building and she got out to open Krystal's door. She brunette looked up to the other woman, who smiled at her, eventually sticking out her hand to help her get up from her seat. They looked at each other for a moment. Krystal couldn't help to notice how the corners of had been twisted up so cheekily.
"Well, good luck, I suppose," Amber said eventually.  Krystal looked down and flashed a faint smile. She pushed a strand of hair behind her ear. 
"Yeah, I guess so..." she muttered. It stayed silent for a moment. Eventually, she looked up, with her lower lip caught between her teeth. Amber was looking at her with a strange curiosity. 
"I guess I'll be going then. Drive home safely."
"I will."
She turned around and walked off, towards the entrance of the building. Her lower stomach was prostesting for her to stay with Amber, but her head won over her heart like it always had and she kept on walking. The drums of her feet meeting the pavement rung in her ears and she was aware of every step she took farther and farther from Amber. She was only a meter away from the entrance. Her hand made contact with the cold metal of the doorhandle. There was a sound of a car door slamming shut. And because of that, a rush of panick ran through her body. Krystal turned around quickly, only to see Amber lean nonchalantly against the side of the car. 
She felt stupid noticing that Amber had only shut the door of the side Krystal had gotten out of. They locked eyes again and Amber lifted her eyebrows, almost as if she wanted to ask if there was something wrong. And she wanted to answer that there was nothing wrong, but in this small moment of panick, her heart had taken over. 
"Will I see you again?" she asked. Amber's smile grew softer. 
"If you want to, Princess, then you will."

Krystal still bore her wide grin when she opened the front door to her apartment. Amber's words had stuck into her mind like they had been glued there. They played over and over in her head, like a romantic drama OST. She let Amber's backpack slide from her back, which contained her dress and her heels from last night. Her clothes felt even nicer now, the fabric was almost ticklish to her skin. 
She let herself fall on her couch and closed her eyes. Amber's face immediately appeared in her thoughts. That smile... and how good she had looked when she had gotten into her car and had driven away with one hand on the wheel... Not to mention when-
"So you didn't even care about what I said to you?"
Kai's voice pierced through the air, sharp as freshly broken glass. Krystal immediately shot up straight, opening her eyes trying to find her fiancé. He was leaning against the wall. A black blouse was hugging his figure, tugged into black pants as well. When he walked towards her, his feet made sticky sounds on the stone floor. 
"I was having breakfast... or lunch," she muttered. "It'd be a waste of money to just get up right after it had been served."
"We could've gotten lunch together. Money has never been an issue, you know that," he said coldly. Krystal bit down on her lower lip and pointed her gaze at the ground, unable to look at him. 
"Why are you so mad at me, because I got a little drunk last night? It was my party, wasn't I allowed to?" she asked softly. She heard Kai sigh deeply. He walked towards her and sat down on their mahogany wooden coffee table, so that they were on the same height. He had his legs spread and his arms crossed in front of his chest. There was a frown on his face. 
"I'm not mad, just annoyed. I don't blame you for... partying," he muttered. Krystal looked up to him, this time with a frown of her own. 
"Then why are you annoyed? Because I stayed over somewhere else instead of at home? It's not because I didn't want to stay at home, Kai, it's because it happened to be that way," she lied smoothly. Becoming a vice president in Jung Internationals required certain skills. Lying was one of them. And because she had been taught to lie all her life, she was able to do it rather perfectly right now. Because Kai also believed she was in love with him, didn't he?
"It's probably my own fault, I let you go and went home myself," Kai muttered, more to himself than to her. Krystal huffed.
"I really don't get what's the problem. Amber took good care of me, we're... friends."
She was barely able to make the word leave . It left a bitter aftertaste because she knew very well that they were not friends. But Kai believed so and it was the ideal lie to keep up. Because you know... best friends go over to each other's places a lot, right?
"That's exactly what's bothering me, Krystal. I don't know that chick at all. Yeah, I know she's some rich man's kid who has gone all off trail but that's literally the only thing I know of her. And now you're sleeping over at her house?"
Krystal let out a nervous laugh. 
"You're being ridiculous. What's supposed to happen?"
"Well, you never know nowadays. The streets are roamed with lesbo's," Kai said bitterly. "And you know, she is one.. right?"
Krystal's face grew colder. Her breathing slowened and a strange calmness spread through her body. Her father hadn't brought her up with mercy and she wasn't planning on trying to give Kai some right now too. 
"Amber is my friend and I do not want you to speak of her that way."
Kai was surprised by her sudden angry tone. He stared at her confusedly, before laughing it off. 
"Talking about her in what way? She is a lesbian, ain't she?"
"A homophobic way. There's nothing wrong with her."
"Krystal, come on, I am not a homophobe, you know I didn't mean it that way," he said quickly. Krystal squinted her eyes suspiciously. 
"Well, clearly you did because it obviously sounded like-"
"Let's not fight about something not worth fighting for, okay," Kai interrupted her. Krystal stared at him in anger, not liking to be silenced. Her nails digged into the skin of her hand and she had to clench her jaws so hard not to spill out some really mean words that her teeth felt like breaking. 
[i]"Well, since Amber is your friend, we can invite her over for dinner, can't we? We can also invite Luna. Make it a double-date! Nice, right?"[/i] suggested Kai. He had already stood up to walk towards his phone, which he had forgotten somewhere on the dinner table, when she realized what a catastrophe that would become. Krystal's eyes shot open in fear and she tried to stop him, but before she could reach him, he had already taken his phone and typed in the number. She placed her hands upon his arms.
"Sweetie, I really don't think this is a good-" she tried, but he shushed her by placing his finger to his lips. The phone was already ringing. Krystal wondered how Kai could have Luna's number. She might've given it to him last night. Perhaps the double-date idea has been into his mind already for a while.
"Hello, Luna. It's me, Kai. I was thinking, maybe we should all grab some food together, the four of us. I'm an amazing cook so-... Ah, of course, we can also come over to your place! ... Yes, you, Amber, Krystal and me... This Saturday is fine by me, just text me the address. See you then!"
Shocked, her eyes were fixed on her fiancé, who said another goodbye before hanging up. When he looked back at her, there was a proud glint in his eyes. It reminded her of a child who tried their hardest to do something good but in the measures of an adult, it was still incredibly dumb. 
"Luna said she was glad to receive my call and that she and Amber would love to have a dinner date!" Kai said enthusiastically. Krystal had to keep shut to now spill out a group of foul words and simply nodded shortly. Her teeth sank into her lower lip as her brain was making up the worst possible scenarios ever. Her stomach turned at the thought how awkward it was going to be.
Oh, this dinner was going to be a disaster.