Tomboys wear dresses for a week

This isn’t Clickbait
Please log in to read the full chapter

Chapter 8: Tomboys wear dresses for a week

***

Amber's in a dress for the week, and Jackson finds out just how efficient this team can be, even if some things are a bit strange.

***

 

On Sunday night, Jackson’s about to go to sleep after ending a 3 hour long Skype session with Bambam when he notices a text message from Amber. “Don’t forget to bring workout clothes for tomorrow!” He grins at the friendly reminder, opening his bag to check that he’d packed the clothes, towel and toiletries even though he had already checked them once before the call with Bambam (and another time during the call just to be sure).

Assured that he didn’t miss out anything, Jackson heads to bed early, wanting to snuggle in the warm blankets and soak in the fuzzy feels from catching up with his best friend.

 

 

The first meeting Jackson has on Monday morning is for the video project, so he prints out copies of the script to bring to the meeting, although he knows the rest have probably already read the softcopy he had emailed last week. Mark and JB are already in the room when he gets there, and Jackson schools his face into a neutral but friendly expression, unsure of how to act after the talk he had with Mark (and the one he had with Junior). He only suspects (ok, highly suspects, but still) that JB is Jaebum, but he doesn’t know for sure, so Jackson tries not to let the protectiveness he has for Junior overwhelm his emotions. Instead, he flips through his printouts, not really reading them but pretending to do that so he won’t have to make small talk.

The sound of the door opening is a relief, and Jackson doesn’t remember the last time he has been this awkward in a social situation. Given who’s already seated in the room, Jackson knows that the newcomer has to be Amber, but he doesn’t immediately recognize the unfamiliar silhouette at the door. A second passes and he realized why – Amber’s in a dress.

“Shh, I don’t want to hear a word about this dress,” Amber preempts, walking a bit uncomfortably because of how short her dress is. She still has a snapback on her head, along with Converses on her feet, socks peeking over the top, which Jackson notes actually go well with the flowy summer dress she has on, if Amber isn’t behaving so oddly in the outfit.

Apparently Jackson isn’t the only one noticing the short dress (he’s gay, but nice legs are nice legs), because Mark’s taking off his flannel shirt and handing it to Amber, motioning for her to use it to cover her legs when she sits.

“Uh, thanks, Mark,” Amber says, sitting in her usual fashion only to realize she’s probably flashing everyone, quickly laying the shirt over her thighs, “Anyway, don’t mind me, I stupidly agreed to do some video called ‘Tomboys wear dresses for a week’, so just. Shh~”

Jackson doesn’t pass up the chance to make faces at Amber, expecting the light slap she would give on his shoulder, but instead, she only blushes.This dress is weird, and Amber’s being weird, Jackson thinks, and the laugh-disguised-as-a-cough that JB gives reminds him that the atmosphere in the meeting today is weird too.

 

 

The first thing they review in the meeting is the script, and Jackson isn’t surprised that they’ve all read it. What he is surprised by is that JB doesn’t critique (criticize) his work, instead offering only minor changes here and there to improve the dialogue. He blinks a few times, finding his pen to note down what the other says, trying not to let JB’s professional attitude (a far cry from the agitated one last meeting) throw him off.

Jackson doesn’t have much time to observe JB’s expression when he’s jotting down what he can change, so he can’t decide what to make of the situation, but Mark’s already moving on to talk about casting.

Mark informs them that he’s interviewed and casted Junior for the bi lead (Jackson notices JB blinking at the name, but he isn’t sure if that means anything), and that he’s found a potential candidate to cast for the gay lead, courtesy of Junior’s recommendation (another bout of rapid blinks at Junior’s name, Jackson observes, twirling his pen while he stores that information for later). Mark ends off by saying he’ll be interviewing the guy for the gay lead soon, and if all goes well, he can book the equipment and locations for the filming for next week, which is when Junior is back in LA.

Amber enthusiastically thanks them for their good work and efficiency, reminding JB that he should draw up a storyboard for Mark to use when filming since the script is mostly confirmed now. There’s a short grumble from JB about being only able to draw stickmen and Mark’s reply that stickmen are fine so long as he can tell if it’s a long shot or close-up and the meeting’s over, a tentative schedule to film the next week decided.

Jackson stays behind while Amber folds up Mark’s shirt to return to the pink-hair man (whose hair is really turning more to a faded pink now). When Mark’s gone and she’s finally looking at him, Jackson speaks up, “Aren’t you going for the yoga session after work today?”

“Yeah, I am. What makes you think I’m not going?” Amber’s crossing her arms, looking at him funny now.

“Uh,” Jackson’s mind draws a blank. Honestly, he really doesn’t have a good reason why he had thought Amber might be skipping the yoga later just because she turned up in a dress today. Jackson blames the excessive show of legs for tripping his brain. He’s just not used to seeing Amber in anything but jeans and knee-length shorts, and the display of skin makes him uncomfortable or maybe a tad embarrassed for his friend who is clearly fidgety in the dress.

Eventually he says, “I don’t know, I went through my brain for a reason and I realize it’s really just because you’re wearing a dress today, and that’s an illogical train of thought, so…”

“Dude, why?” the last word is drawn out, and Amber gives an exasperated eye-roll that has Jackson’s hands coming up automatically in defense. “Never mind, I don’t even know why wearing a dress makes such a huge difference to people’s reaction to me, but given how I behave so awkwardly different because this thing is uncomfortable, I guess it’s only fair.” She makes a face at her dress, before continuing, “Anyway, to answer your question, yes, I’m going for the yoga thing later. Did you see my message last night?”

“I already packed before you sent me the message,” Jackson puffs, proud of himself. “I just went to double, no, triple check after I saw you message.” He mentally lists all the things he’s put into his workout bag, clothes for working out, towel and toiletries for showering, but realizes he had forgot something important.

Underwear.

Jackson doesn’t appreciate the nonchalant shrug Amber gives (“Just go home without it, it’s a short drive anyway.”) and he’s already retracing his memory as he leaves the meeting room, wondering how he had forgotten to pack it in, despite checking so many times.

 

 

Half an hour before work ends, Jackson’s in the toilet, changing into his workout attire of a tank top and exercise shorts so he can meet the rest who are doing the “30 days life-change: Yoga” video with him. Jackson exercises regularly, but any opportunity to get exercise without having to pay fees for the lesson, and letting him go off work a bit earlier is one that he doesn’t pass up. Apparently he’s not the only one who thinks that, because despite the title being “life-change”, the other people he sees in the studio waiting to film the video intro are all somewhat toned and fit.

Though, Amber and I are probably the most well-built here, Jackson thinks, hearing footsteps behind him and expecting to see Amber. Instead, it’s JB, in a sleeveless shirt and shorts, and Jackson can’t help but correct his earliest assessment (Amber and JB are the most well-built, look at those muscular arms that have always been hidden by his shirts), even as he takes in the fact that JB’s outfit and him being here means he’s probably part of the group to try out yoga.

The surprise on JB’s face clues Jackson in to the knowledge that the ot

Please log in to read the full chapter