First Impressions

Comet ☄
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter
A/N: I've noticed that all my chapters so far are rather short... I'm going to try to make them a little longer, but it's hard to tell how long they are when I'm writing it... :( Still, I hope you like the story so far, I know it's going really slowly, but I swear it'll get more interesting soon! ^^ Thanks for reading!

 

 

Deborah didn't get much sleep on Tuesday night. She tossed and turned, all kinds of scenarios passing through her mind. When morning finally came, she dragged herself to the bathroom only to groan in despair. 'My face!! My skin looks horrible!" she cried out silently in despair. Her face was in fact in rather bad shape. Small dark circles outlined her eyes, and her skin was white and pallid. Quickly, she grabbed her jar of multivitamins and swallowed them desperately.

"Grandma!" she yelled, rushing to the kitchen. "Grandma, help me! Do you have any fruit? I need vitamins right now!"

Her grandmother just chuckled and handed her some mandarins.

Deborah spent the rest of the morning eating fruit and plastering facial packs to her face. By lunchtime, her face was looking noticeably better and once she had showered, dressed and put on a bit of makeup, she was satisfied with the results. This time, she left her hair down and dressed in sandals, a simple ivory colored t-shirt and a maroon skater skirt. This was an interview, after all. After a moment of thought however, she grabbed a cute, bohemian style brown messenger bag and stuffed in some shorts and her socks and sneakers, just in case.

She took the metro to get to Big Hit Entertainment, and for a moment simply stood in front of the big building, her heart beating way too fast.

"Here I go," she muttered, and marched in, giving her name at the desk as she was told to do.

"Right," the lady at the desk said, smiling warmly. "Take this," she handed her a name tag, "this will let you go wherever you want in the building. Please try not to wander, though."

"Don't worry, I won't," Deborah laughed.

"All right, now all you need to do is take that elevator right there and go up to the 12th floor. The door on your left is Bang PD-nim's office, and he'll be expecting you. Any questions?"

"Nah," she said, smiling back at the lady. "Thank you very much."

"You're welcome, dear."

 

Deborah headed towards the elevators, and pressed the button going up. A few seconds later, the elevator arrived with a ding and a few people streamed out. Everyone looked busy, either talking on their phones or tapping away at tablets, and Deborah suddenly felt rather small and insignificant. The doors were beginning to close when someone hurriedly pressed the button outside, opening them again. It was a boy, several years older than herself, who was panting slightly as if he had run to catch the elevator.

He pressed on the button for the 7th floor. Straightening up, he glanced at her. He was rather short and bony, not that much taller than herself. He also had an extremely pale face and fluffy, soft looking hair.

"Hi," she offered shyly, holding out her hand.

"Ah, hi," he muttered, shaking it briefly. "You going to see Bang PD-nim?"

"Yeah, how did you know?" she asked curiously.

Without replying, he just noded towards the button panel.

"What.. Oh, right. 12th floor." she coughed awkwardly, embarassed. "Yeah, I'm meeting him today."

"Cool. Good luck," he grinned, his gums showing. "Don't get too intimidated by the way, he might seem scary but he's a pretty nice guy."

"Thanks," she smiled, a little relieved. "So, uh, are you a trainee?"

"Yeah, I guess," he shrugged. "The name's Suga. You?"

Deborah coughed, choking slightly. "Su- Sugar?" she asked, wondering if she had heard right.

"No, Suga, without the r at the end," the boy said, rolling his eyes as if he had explained this too many times before to get mad.

"Right," Deborah managed to control herself, and apologized for laughing. "I'm Deborah, or Bora Lee, and I'm not a trainee yet. Still, I have a meeting with Bang PD-nim. I'm really hoping he'll offer me a spot as a trainee."

The elevator stopped at the 7th floor and the boy turned to leave. "I hope you do get a spot," he said as the doors started to close. "See ya, Bora."

"Bye," she said softly, although the doors were already closed.

'He seemed nice,' she thought as the lift continued to rise. She was thankful for his comment on Bang PD being a nice guy inside, since she wasn't all too sure what he was going to be like.

The lift stopped and she stepped out of the elevator. The door to her left was already slightly ajar, as if it was waiting for her to arrive. Timidly, she knocked on the wooden paneling of the doorway and peeked in.

"Come in," said a voice from inside, and she obeyed, closing the door behind her.

Admittedly, Bang PD-nim didn't really look like a scary guy. He motioned to the chair across from him, lacing his fingers together.

"Hello," she smiled nervously, sitting down.

"Hello. Miss Lee, am I correct?"

"Yes, it's nice to meet you," she said.

"I must admit, I was rather surprised when I heard about a girl turning up at the BTS audition in Jeonju. I watched your video, and it was very entertaining." Deborah blushed at this. "I was impressed by the courage and self-confidence you displayed. Weren't you nervous?"

"Weeelll," she stalled, embarassed. "I was pretty nervous, but I didn't want to leave without doing all that I could."

Bang PD studied her face. "Interesting. It's unusual for someone to show that much courage. Most would have given up and left, when they realized the situation."

He leaned forward. "Miss Lee, I'm willing to offer you a spot as a trainee in Big Hit Entertainment. However, I should warn you. We are a small company. We don't have the ressources to support our trainees as much as the bigger companies do. You are young, only in middle school, and you'll probably have a long training period, at least 4 years. You do have some talent - I wouldn't have called you here if you didn't. However, you need to understand: if it had been an audition for girls and you hadn't shown the confidence and passion that you did, you probably wouldn't have been chosen."

He paused for a moment here, gauging her reaction. Deborah was slightly shocked and rather hurt, to hear such harsh words from the PD. He sighed and continued, looking at her seriously.

"We don't have many girl trainees here at Big Hit. Plus, we're focusing on BTS for the moment, which means you'll be put to the side, in a sense, until we finish their project. I heard that you live in Europe with your family. Are you sure that you want to throw all that away for such an uncertain future? You might not ever get to debut, even after years of hard work. I can't guarantee anything. You'll have to live apart from your family, and learn to survive alone. It will be hard - I

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter