Korea

Comet ☄
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Sunday, 10 am. Seoul, Gimpo International Airport, South Korea.

 

Stifling a yawn, Deborah stepped off the plane, dragging a small brown suitcase behind her. The flight had been unbearably long, and the exhausted young couple trying to calm their squalling baby in the seats next to her hadn't exactly helped her relax.

"Ugh," she groaned, massaging a crick in the neck as she waited for her luggage to arrive. It was her first time travelling alone, without her parents, and the stress and worry had kept her from sleeping during most of the 10 hour flight.

Still muttering under her breath, she dragged her big suitcase off the conveyer belt and headed for the exit. Her grandparents were wating there, and she greeted them affectionately, tears stinging her eyes. It had been so long since she had last seen them, almost 3 years.

Deborah and her parents had lived abroad almost all her life. She was born in Korea, but had moved to the UK at 4 years old. She'd spent 5 years of her life there, before moving yet again, following her parents this time to France, then to Germany. This meant that she spoke English, French and German, and since she spoke Korean at home, by the time she hit her teens she was fluent in all four languages.

She made a point of visiting Korea whenever she could, but the long flight and the expensive tickets meant she was only able to come back to her homeland once every two years or so.

This year, her parents had been busy with work and so were not able to make it, but she had begged her parents to let her come to Korea, even if that meant travelling alone. After a while, they had agreed. She was very mature for her 14 years, after all, and they trusted that she was sensible and smart enough not to get into any stupid kind of trouble.

Deborah, however, had a plan: a secret one, one that she hadn't told her parents about - yet. She wanted to become a singer. A k-pop idol, in fact, since she loved dancing too. She was sure her parents would never approve unless she proved to them that this wasn't just some whimsical fancy of hers, and so she planned to audition for an entertainment company. Then, if and only IF she was accepted, she would tell her parents, and use the acceptance as leverage for their approval.

The problem was, she had no idea how to sign up for an audition. She had a routine prepared already: a song she felt showcased her voice perfectly, and a complexe dance routine that she had completely mastered after months of effort. Now all she needed, was an audition.

"Sugar pie, we're home!" her grandmother's voice broke her out of her reverie and she smiled at her, joining her grandparents at the apartment door. They, her paternal grandparents, were her dad's parents, and lived on the outskirts of Seoul. She would spend a week here, before joining her maternal grandparents down in Jeonju. Pulling her into another warm hug her grandmother ruffled her hair. "Come on, honey. I've made you all your favourite food in celebration of your return, and you can tell me all about your secret plans while you eat." Deborah's eyes widened

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter