Eight

A Little Hope
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

The sky has been looking grey since the morning, not really good thing to start the weekend. It seems like rainy season is coming soon. Yesung mentally hits himself because he forgets to bring umbrella when he sees it right near the front door. He prays that if it’s raining, it won’t be really hard. He greets his boss, an old nice lady who needs a help to run the ice cream parlor. The shop belongs to her late husband. It is a small yet really cozy place to spend time with your lover or family. Apparently it’s quite popular because it’s been there for a decade. The old lady’s son usually helps to run the store during weekdays, her son is in his last year of college and preparing for thesis. She doesn’t want her son to be stressed out so she decides to hire a staff to work on weekend to serve the customers. Well, it’s not always crowded but she can’t really handle it alone because her body easily gets tired. The ice cream parlor’s location isn’t too far from Moonlight restaurant and Yesung needs extra money  so he applies for the job.

Honestly, Yesung’s mind is still clouded with dark thoughts but he can’t just sit and drown himself in self-pity. His life always has up and down just like before, one day he has place to sleep and next day he doesn’t. It could have been worse but he still survies until now. He wishes that it won’t go downhill or  really doesn’t think that he can keep positive anymore.

“Yesung, you look pale, are you okay?” Mrs. Cha, his boss; looks concerned.

He is definitely not okay right now. Not enough. He couldn’t sleep well last night because the nightmare. The nightmare happens too frequent now, maybe because he has a lot of bad things in mind. But it’s not going to help him earn money to survive so he needs to pull himself back.

“I am okay. Just sleep very late last night.” He smiles to reassure his boss.

Mrs. Cha shakes her head. She lightly scolds Yesung to not sleep too late because it can’t affect his health. She treats Yesung like her own son and always worry over little things. Yesung doesn’t mind since he’s always been longing for mother figure. Her son, Daehyun is also very nice person; although he only meets him twice but he can tell that Daehyun cares about people around him, including Yesung.

Soon it’s really raining outside. The rain is pouring lightly but the weather is getting colder than before. Winter is coming so Yesung already expects the weather to be this cold, especially when it’s raining like now. He sits on the chair near the counter since no customer around. He starts thinking again about his past. How can it turns out like now? He was happy. He had a loving brother and parents, even if they weren’t together anymore. Even his step father was a nice person.

The day is moving slowly and not many customers coming, as expected because the weather is cold. JoliJoy’s ice cream is delicious though. Yesung usually comes to buy it after his shift ends at Moonlight (Mrs. Cha and Dahyun always insist to give him free ice cream but he refuses).

“Yesung? Can I ask for a help?” Mrs. Cha comes out from the back door. Usually she takes a nap when the store isn’t too busy. He doesn’t mind since the old lady deserves to rest considering her age now.

“Yes of course. What is it, Mrs. Cha?”

“Can you go to Gwanghi Hospital near Myeongdong station to pick up my medicine? Usually I ask Daehyun but he said that he is outside of the town and afraid that he can’t pick it up.”

Yesung glances outside to see that the rain is still lightly pouring. Imagining Mrs. Cha’s old body walks through the rain is enough for him to help her without hesitation. He can handle while this old lady in front of him definitely can’t.

“I will do it. Not really many customers today since it’s raining.” Yesung smiles.

Mrs. Cha smiles back and takes out some money bills and small paper from her pocket. “Here the money for bus and here the prescription, you just need to show it to the staff.”

Yesung takes the paper and reads it. He nods at Mrs. Cha and grabs his hoodie. The old lady keeps fussing that Yesung needs to bring an umbrella but he says he doesn’t need to since the rain is almost stopping. He can use the cap of his hoodie to shelter him from the rain anyway. Five minutes later, he curses himself for not bringing umbrella because now the rain is pouring hard. He hops inside the bus and watches the rain is falling through the window.

The rain gets worse as he arrives at the hospital. He is soaked wet and decides to take off his hoodie. His shirt is sticking like a glue to his thin body and he can’t help to shiver in cold. He asks the security— who keeps eyeing him from head to toe—where the pharmacy is at. He probably looks like drenched rat so the slightly bulky man lends him a towel to dry himself. He says his thanks before leaving

“Excuse me, I am picking up Mrs. Cha’s medicine. Here is the prescription.” Yesung gives the paper to the female staff at the counter. She nods and goes inside the room next the counter.

Yesung feels cold now and keeps rubbing his hands against each other to warm himself. The towel that the security lends for him casually hanging around his neck. He sits on the chair nearby and hums a random song while waiting. His attention gets shifted when a tall man at the other side is raising his voice, seems like he has an argument with the staff at the counter. Yesung raises an eyebrow. He knows that voice….

“Kyuhyun?” Yesung approaches closer.

The person turns around and looks surprised when he sees Yesung. He is wearing beige coat and his brown hair is slightly messy. Yesung notices that Kyuhyun’s face is paler than usual. He looks like a sick person.

“Ey, Kim Yesung. What are you doing here?”

“I am picking up stuff for my boss.” Yesung eyes Kyuhyun up and down. “And what are you doing here? Why you didn’t go to school?”

Kyuhyun tilts his head to the side with a cocky smile. “Why? Did you miss me?”

That answer again. Yesung thinks Kyuhyun is still annoying even though he considers him as friend. Well, he isn’t really missing him though, he is just curious.

“Don’t answer me with question.” Yesung huffs.

“Okay… okay. Don’t be grumpy geez.” Kyuhyun’s playful expression changes a bit. “I am here to buy medicine.”

“For you? Are you sick?” Yesung can’t stop his question. Kyuhyun indeed looks like sick person.

Two long slim finger land on Yesung’s forehead, making the shorter man groans in pain. Kyuhyun just flicks him on forehead, quite hard to be honest but Yesung doesn’t want to be a whiny whimp and pretend that it doesn’t hurt.

“Ouch, what’s that for?” Yesung asks as he rubs his forehead.

“Because you are too noisy.”

The playful expression is back on Kyuhyun’s face. Yesung is about to ask again but the female staff at the other side of counter calls him over.

“Sir? The medicine is ready.”

Yesung nods and turns his attention back to Kyuhyun. He wants to talk to him longer but Mrs. Cha is waiting at the store alone. He should go back as soon as possible, afraid if there is a lot of customers and the lady can’t handle them.

“You are annoying. Anyway, I need to go back so I have to leave first and can’t entertain you longer.”

“Ah too bad, I kinda need personal clown to entertain me.” Kyuhyun pretends to look sad.

Yesung gives the tall man a side eye and bids his goodbye. He talks to the female staff and gives out the money. Before he leaves, he glances at Kyuhyun who still stares at him with amused face. The man makes a shoo-ing gesture which makes Yesung rolls his eyes. As Yesung leaves, he starts wondering why Kyuhyun is here. He doesn’t have a chance to ask him before and now he is quite curious. This is a private hospital and not a random drugstore, only patients who with prescription can buy the medicines. He shrugs it off. Maybe he will ask Kyuhyun later on Monday. That is… if he comes to school.

//

Kyuhyun feels relieved when Yesung is out of his sight. That’s really unexpected to see him here. He turns around to speak to the pharmacy staff.

“So I really can’t get more painkillers? Seriously?”

The staff shakes his head with a sorry face. “Sorry, Mr. Cho, you can’t. Dr. Hwang told me

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter