Chapter 8

Color of the Wind, Sound of Night

Yongguk watched as Taekwoon slept peacefully, his hand curled around Hakyeon's. Their friendship, or whatever it was, it had lasted through thick and thin, sunshine and snow. He was unjustly jealous, and pained by the sight.

The night before had been- he really tried not to think about it. Though no matter how hard he tried, the memories came flooding in. It was so fresh, the wound in his heart tore open. Honestly, it wasn't  even healed to begin with.


*Yesterday, 8:30pm*

It was like a depressing scene from a movie. Yongguk had to watch both Taekwoon and Hakyeon as they were rolled away to separate rooms.

It was- they both let this go on too far. Hakyeon had exacerbated symptoms by getting too caught up in his emotions. Taekwoon on the other hand, pushed himself to the brink of insanity after mulling excessively over his diagnosis.

It was noticeable for the both of them, mostly from the way they acted. Hakyeon would mumble Taekwoon's name periodically in his sleep, while Taekwoon threw a fit when he saw them being sent to different rooms. It was also apparent from the deepened black circles  around his eyes that sleep had been evading him, quite on purpose as well.

Actually, Hakyeon had confided with him days earlier about his problems. It was just the a thought of his that the situation would never extend this far, but it did.

"Yongguk, he hasn't talked to me for days. I'm really worried."

Yongguk shrugged, but then dumbly realized Hakyeon couldn't see it. "Give him time, Hakyeon. He'll come around eventually."

"That's the thing. I have given Taekwoon time. But he hasn't done a thing. I'm about to go over there and visit him right now, but then again I don't want to be a bother. Ugh, what should I do?"

He sighed, rubbing his face with both hands. At the time he assured Hakyeon that everything would work out fine, and that it couldn't  possibly get any worse, but obviously it did, judging by the current situation.

There was a little coffee dispenser near the chairs he was sitting on. It was the cheap kind, the one that most hospitals couldn't bother to pay a little extra for so that their patrons could get quality beverage. It was scalding hot, so he blew on it a little, trying to get it to cool down, when he heard it.

The intercom blared."Bang Yongguk! Please report  to room 419. Bang Yongguk!, please  report to room 419 immediately."

He dropped the cup, coffee immediately spilling it everywhere. It covered the floor around him in a dark hazel colored liquid, but he couldn't care less at the moment. "No fricking way. No fricking way-" he repeated as he practically ran to aforementioned room. There was only one reason that they would call him here.

"Himchan." He breathed, sliding open the door to find a small group of doctors huddled around  the bed. His boyfriend was dying. The unfortunate goddam time has come. What perfect timing death has, ringing his doorbell.

Hell, Himchan probably welcomed him with tea, because thats how kind his lover was.

"Himchan." he breathed again, this time tears shining at the corner of his eyes.

"Yongguk" the other cried out weakly, smiling despite the pain. Yongguk walked and took his hand. "Its going to be alright. I promise."

"Oh stop that bull Bbang, we both know my time here is fading fast." He tightend his hold on Yongguk's hand, with what little strength he had left.

He squeezed his eyes a bit, trying to dissuade the tears, but instead they did the exact opposite, running down his cheeks in copious river's.

"I kk-now, but I can't let you go. Why now ,why ever? I can't live with out you Chanie." His line of sight blurred as he sobbed, the ugly hiccups and choking noises overtaking the heart monitor's seemingly consistent beeps. There was only two doctors in the room at this point; the others left to give them some privacy, but the remaining two probably stayed to record the time of death and other things, procedures he really didn't want to think about, even though it was coming. All too soon.

"Bbang, I feel it, its coming. Please, promise me one thing before I go." He coughed, some blood dribbling down the side of his mouth.

"What tell me!?" Himchan's eyes looked even more lackluster, but he was still there, still holding on. 

"Find someone- e-else, someone who will love you just as m-much as I did. Please hurry, kiss me, one last time to promise-"


Himchan coughed again, and this time he wasted nothing, pressing his lips gently to the other's, sealing the deal.

"I love you, Kim Himchan." The tears were never ending- streaming from more sources than his eyes, as he pulls away and hears his death being recorded.

"The time is 9:15 p.m. He's gone, Yongguk. I'm sorry."

He feels some hands help him up, an begin to take him away but not before he snaps out of his grief momentarily saying "Himchan signed up to be an organ donor." It was mumbled so quietly that one doctor had a hard time understanding. 

Dr.Lee asks him to repeat what he said. "An organ donor. Himchan." He said, no longer wanting to speak.

It seems Dr.Lee understood where he was getting at. "I know your friend Hakyeon was needing a new heart, but are you sure? The possibility of rejection by the new host is 50/50. It could kill him."

Yongguk shook his head, which also dislodged some more tears. "Hakyeon's body won't reject him. Their too simillar. There's no way."

"That's not how it works Yongguk. You know that."

Yongguk resorted to the last of his strength."Please, trust me. I know its unconventional to, but please." He was on his knees, begging now.

Dr.Lee had his face set into a grim line as he thought long and hard about what Yongguk was suggesting. Then he relaxed, though only as much as a doctor could, a sighed after. 

"I'll  talk to Dr.Choi, and have him run some tests to see if Hakyeon is compatible or not. Then we'll go from there."

Yongguk nodded, pushing up from the floor. "Okay." 

"You should go get some rest and-"

"Wait, I want to say goodbye one last time." Dr.Lee moved over to the side and spoke with his assistant. 

"Himchan-" he leaned over his deceased lover's face, a single stray tear falling and splattering on the cheek below. "I don't know if can keep my promise, but I'll- I'll try." he closed Himchan's  eyelids over his glassy pupils. "But I will always love you."

Then he exited the room.

*Flashback ends*

Yongguk, eyes once again blurry for the umpteenth time, watched as Hakyeon and Taekwoon slept peacefully beside each other. Takewoon had his arm around Hakyeon's waist, while Hakyeon himself had his hand gently gripped by his oversized kitten.

Yeah, they were a match made, no, not by heaven, but by their own design. He smiled through the salty rain in his eyes."These idiots. Just hurry up and confess already!"