Chapter 5

Color of the Wind, Sound of Night

Something acidic rose up in his throat- making him jump out of bed and run to to the toilet, spewing out the contents of last night's dinner.

 

For the life of him, Taekwoon could not figure out what was going on. There was already enough problems he had in his life, and getting sick was not going to be one of them. Well, it was too late to say that now, as his fever rose slightly and another wave of heat came over him. He was so not having this. Ask anyone, this definitely not the way you'd want to spend your winter break.

 

"I absolutely despise the inner workings of a cold- ah, who am I kidding, talking like Shakespeare? I must really be delirious. I don't even like Shakespeare.

 

He sighed.

 

It'd been weeks since he last had an incident. Taekwoon was almost convinced that the voices he heard was some kind of cruel joke, if it wasn't for the doctor's diagnostic report that currently lay on the dinner table. Somewhere down the line, in his family's history, he just had the god damn luck of inheriting the predisposition for Schizophrenia.

 

There was no forgetting this. No getting away. He remembered thinking at the time, " At least my break from reality will allow me to forget." But that borderlines being a hardcore pessimist.

 

The psychologist had told him that, according to his stress levels, his reality breaks may become closer and closer together, till he was gone. That, however, was without treatment. For now, his symptoms were mild (if you can call hearing voices mild), and not much could be done. He was also told, that from his current symptoms, his type of schizophrenia was "positive" meaning that he was having(or going to have) hallucinations, be delusional, with thought and movement disorders. Not all at once, and thank goodness not every symptom.

 

To be honest, Taekwoon didn't want to to think that any of this was going to happen to him, but there was no benefits in this situation- especially in trying to run away from yourself.

 

Somehow, he was now seated on his couch. Funny how he couldn't remember just how he got there.

 

There was a inches and inches of snow on the ground, but he couldn't care enough to go outside. It was too cold. Though he could remember, far into the past, Hakyeon used to drag him outside, on days like this, just to build a snowman-

 

~10 years ago~

 

"Taekwoon! Hakyeon's here!" Taekwoon's mother called up the stairs. She sighed, going up the stairs. If she was right, her son was probably studying right now, with his earphones plugged in.

 

"Taekwoonie, I'm coming in." She opened the door, and found her hunch to be correct, but he was sleeping, still sitting at his desk with a pencil in hand.

 

She smiled. Her son was too studious, never allowing himself anytime to play. Being completely honest, that may partially be her fault, as well as her husband's. Gently, she shook him awake, allowing him to come to and register her presence.

 

"Taekwoon?"

 

"Oh, mom? What is it? Did I fall asleep?" He rubs his eyes and stretches his cheeks, trying to get out the any stiffness and improve circulation.

 

"Yes, you did. Taekwoon, if your tired, why don't you take a break. Rest your mind, recuperate and go hang out with Hakyeon. He's waiting outside."

 

"Ugh, Mom, the first part of that was great, until you mentioned him."

 

"Hey, don't be like that. " She ruffled the hair on his head. "He's your friend. The only one, if I might add."

 

"Aish, Mother, you always hit me right where it hurts. Alright, I'll go."

 

She exits the room, smirking. Taekwoon was the sweetest son she could ask for, even if he was a bit cold on the outside. Though, before she closed the door, she thought she'd seen a glimpse of something, a scar where it shouldn't be, but it was only that- just a glimpse.

 

***

Hakyeon stood outside the Jung house, watching his breath form clouds of air as he exhaled. It'd been quite a long time since he last visited Taekwoon- nearly six weeks. He REALLY missed having his best friend around. Likewise, Hakyeon also didn't have very many friends; his great conversational skills may have attracted much attention from people, but it didn't really guarantee him any more friends. Maybe it was because he had a habit of talking too much.

 

With Taekwoon, it was different. Hakyeon talked enough for the both of them. Sure Taekwoon does speak, but only when spoken to. It was actually quite hilarious at the beginning. When they first became friends, Taekwoon barely spoke a word. Most of the time, he just stared on as Hakyeon moved his mouth.

 

Just then, the front door open and out popped a disgruntled, and tightly bundled Taekwoon.

 

"You were inside for awhile. Having trouble getting all those coats on?" Hakyeon tried to hold back a laugh, but the look on his face was just so funny.

 

"Shut up, I'm cold."

 

"Whatever you say Taekwoonie-ah. Whatever you say."

 

Now that they were actually outside, the snows height could be comparably seen. It almost was up to their thighs. Or rather Taekwoon's knees, and Hakyeon's thighs. There was no need to get hurt here- Hakyeon had hit his growth spurt, but apparently there wasn't enough "spurt" to give him any really advantage over Taekwoon. Oh well. He didn't really have it in him to care. He felt a bit protected by his dongsaeng's taller stature anyway; the bullies didn't pick on him whenever Taekwoon was present.

 

"Are we going to just stand here, or are we going to do something?"

 

"Silly, what's the one thing that you do when there's snow present?"

 

"I don't know, build a snowman?"

 

"Correct! Now let's go!" Hakyeon begins to trudge through the snow, having some trouble but otherwise making it through. Eventually, the snow got lower, and lower, till it was closer the height of his knees. He was determined to make this work, and apparently, he was succeeding.

 

He bent down, rolling a ball of snow on his mitten-covered hands. The snow was absolutely perfect. Not too soft, and stuck together enough to be compact and sturdy. He put that ball on the ground, rolling it along the ground so the ball could grow bigger. While doing all of this, he could see Taekwoon out of the corner of his eye mimicking the procedure.

 

Hakyeon made his ball slightly bigger, on the assumption that Taekwoon would make his small. Of course, he was right. The last one was made with same technique, just smaller than the second.

 

They used sticks and stones for the face and arms, and even put thick branches onto the bottom, so it gave the appearance of legs. So here the snowman was, sitting in the middle of Taekwoon's backyard. As comical as it looked, the snow around it was too flat to NOT be corrupted, so they jumped in.

 

Taekwoon was busy making snow angels, his face smooth with peace and freedom. It was heartwarming to see him like that, all free from worry and reveling in the moment. His studies were probably the farthest thing away from him in this moment. That made Hakyeon feel wonderful, that he was the one making Taekwoon happy, even in a small way.

 

Well, it seems like he made an even bigger impact as of now. Hakyeon hadn't been paying any attention and tripped over a rock that was by Taekwoon. He didn't get hurt, but his friend might have, as their faces were only mere inches apart; Both breathing hard, with cheeks tinged with pink. Taekwoon stared wide eyed back up at Hakyeon, who didn't seem to be fairing any better. It was like that for a full minute; the two staring at each other, seeming locked in the moment.

 

Then it was over, and Hakyeon quickly pushed off of him, apologizing profusely for his mistake. Taekwoon apologized as well, for being in the way, but Hakyeon told him to be quiet; his apology wasn't needed.

 

 

 

It was then Hakyeon realized that he had feelings for Taekwoon.

 

He stood up from his couch, picking up some wood, and throwing it into his fireplace. It was so cold today, no to mention the amount of snow that was currently covering his driveway. How sad it was, to spend your winter break alone, even when Hakyeon knew he could just call up Taekwoon. No, he would not do that. He was sure that Taekwoon had enough on his plate, and didn't need Hakyeon's whining to bother him.

 

He sighed, sinking back down into the couch cushions.

 

There was no halting these heartaches, they always seemed to plague him, usually at the worst times. Hakyeon was unsure that even if he had worked up the courage sooner, they would be together. He clutched his chest, massaging the area above where his heart lay, trying to calm himself down. He couldn't afford to overwork himself, especially since his heart is physically weak. If he over strained it, he could have a heart attack, and in a worst case scenario, death would be knocking on his doorstep.

 

That little drinking stunt he pulled weeks, days ago, could have killed him, but here he was. He was lucky Taekwoon was present, but how long would it be before his luck in out?


A/N

I feel like none of these chapters are really that great...more like terrible. oh, well

I went over this about 3 times, but if there are any mistakes, please forgive me.