Chapter 3

Color of the Wind, Sound of Night

Hakyeon and Taekwoon had been friends for years. There wasn't anything special to how they met, in fact, it was quite normal.


*16 years earlier* 

The morning had been unusually chilly outside Yang-Soon Elementary School. All the children, buzzed from the sugary snacks they've been eating, burst outside despite the chilly temperature. It was finally recess.

It wasn't too cold for them to play outside, but even so, a young Taekwoon had refused any offer to play, preferring a book over that of a noisy child. Even if they were the same age.

He sat by himself inside the library, choosing to read in silence. This quiet calmed him, soothing a sort of longing for peace he's had since birth.

After settling in, he would choose a book, preferring to read about the art he hoped to study in the future. Sculpture was his passion; he'd tried many hobbies, but none of them never quite touched him like shaping a piece of clay. Watching an artist mold their heart into a piece somehow touched his own, tiny, childish heart.

He was so lost in thought however, that he didn't notice a boy seat himself in the chair right next to him, staring curiously. It wasn't until this boy tapped on his shoulder that he came out of his thoughts.

"Yes-?!" In front of him was a boy, most likely around his own age, who was absolutely breathtaking. Eyes bright and innocent, cheeks that stood out like chipmunk's, except rounder, fuller...smoother. His skin, -his skin was the most beautiful of all, creamy and soft looking, a light brown, like the foam atop of coffee he'd secretly take sips out of.

"Hi, I'm Hakyeon. Cha Hakyeon. What's yours?"

And from there, a friendship bloomed.

 


If there was one thing he wished he knew back then, before becoming friends with Hakyeon, was that he talked way too much.

Taekwoon had been sitting on his couch, staring at his T.V for the second day in a row when Hakyeon bust through the front door.

"Taekwoon! I don't know how you keep those so called students of yours in line, but I'm done!"

"It was about time. I didn't think it would take this long for them to break you. For pete's sake, you've only been substituting for two days." Taekwoon replies, giving a passing glance to his friend. Who was now pulling off his jacket and tie, tossing them on the floor.

"I seriously don't know how you handle it. Your 3rd hour was exceptional as always. Are they always like that? Even when your there?" Hakyeon plopped down next to his sleepy friend.

"Yeah, they're a wonderful class. I don't usually have any problems with them.Oh, by the way, was Yongguk in class today?"

"Yongguk, as in,  Bang Yongguk? Nope, he wasn't. But I did speak to his friend Junhong, and he said that Yongguk hasn't been feeling well for awhile, but will be back on Friday."

Yongguk is actually older that Taekwoon, but since the he only decided to start college recently, their relationship had been a bit awkward the first time they came eye to eye.

"Oh." The rest of the conversation died out then, the silence wrapping it's arms comfortably around them. With Taekwoon, it was easy to contemplate the simple workings of life.  They've been friends longer than other people they hang out with, and can read each other like a dictionary. A really thick, old, crinkly and cracked dictionary.

It was both a pain, and a comfort on Hakyeon's part. Sometimes it was easy to get information out from his friend, and sometimes it wasn't. Taekwoon rarely cried, in fact, the last time he may have seen him do so spans years. In this moment, he'd never seen Taekwoon look as close to doing do as now.

"Taekwoon, have you been getting any rest?"

"Yeah." He replies, but it was more breathy and quiet, than an actual formation of words.

"Are you certain? It doesn't look like that to me."

The other stares at him pleadingly, his right hand repeatedly scratching the same area on his neck. It was that nervous tick he had. One that meant Taekwoon had clammed up, and wasn't going to be spilling anything. At least not at the moment.

"Oh, that bad, huh. Then I won't ask anymore, but you better tell me soon."  Hakyeon proceeded to pick up his mess, sliding on his shoes and exited the house, silently shutting and locking the door in one swift measure.

It was with that click of lock, that he actually relaxed. Yes,  he was glad that his friend had left. There was no hiding anything from Hakyeon; He would be found in no time at all. It was both a relief and a pain, since Hakyeon would probably be the only he can confide in, and really talk to.

He wasn't ready. Wasn't ready to tell. Wasn't ready to believe that he was actually sick. He wasn't going to get better if he kept denying.

Reaching under the cushion, he slipped the paper out, dusting it off carefully and unfolded it out on his lap. His heart raced as he caught sight of his name, printed just below the letterhead.

Patient: Jung Taekwoon
  DOB: November 10, 1990
         Doctor(s): Dr. and  
     Diagnosis: Jung-sshi seems to completely healthy, save for severe lack of rest. I suggest the patient have several days off to do such resting, as to eliminate symptoms of fatigue. Dr.-  

For him, it was obvious. The problem was more than just a lack of sleep. If he knew his own body well enough, his instincts were usually right.He read on.

     -talked to a close friend of the patient, and it seems that he has been experiencing frequent migraines, which may correspond with the high levels of ibuprofen. Patient should be warned about long term effects of abuse-

Ugh Hakyeon. " I guess he was only trying to help."  Thinking about it, he went though like 6, 7 ibuprofen bottles in about a month and a half. He should really be careful. 

     - and cease use immediately. I suspected the  migraines might be due to stress on the job, as indicated by the friend, but upon questioning of the patient, I found that not to be the case. In conclusion, the cause has a high possibility of being psychosomatic, and suggest further consultation with a psychologist.

His heart practically leaped out of his chest.He remembered the talk with the doctor. At the time, he didn't find the questions to be relevant, so he had been quite irritated, and implicitly lashed out. He'd figured that the problem would've been simple, such the lack of nightly rest, but it wasn't. 

He so desperately wanted it to be.


A/N

Psychosomatic

:  of, relating to, concerned with, or involving both mind and body 

         2:  of, relating to, involving, or concerned with bodily symptoms caused by mental or emotional disturbance