Chapter 1

Color of the Wind, Sound of Night

The worst part of grading had to be this. Scoring each of the undergrad works fairly. So far none of his students had managed to mess up so badly, unlike the one he was currently viewing.

Taekwoon examined the first sculpture that sat on the table. Such a job he has, being a art teacher. There never seemed to be any set way to grade the student pieces fairly. Some of them just seemed to be steps ahead of the rest, the natural talent seeping through their hands, into their work. This one, however, was spherical in shape, wrinkles outlining the piece, but the face was just- ugh. It looked like a hand had been pressed into the clay, then poked three holes to look like a pair of eyes and a mouth.

He sighed. Well at least there was effort put into it.

Several more were analyzed, before he set down his clipboard. He tried to be fair, he really did, but it never seemed to work out. His students were always complaining, biting out words that nicked his confidence. Words that didn't mean anything, but settled heavy in his chest. Taekwoon knew he shouldn't do that, that it was wrong to let the students get the best of him, but he was never really strong in that area.

A soft click interrupted his thoughts, and he was pulled out of his reverie.

Hakyeon stood in the doorway of his classroom, hand on his hip and a very intent stare. Obviously, there must be something on his face.

"What do you want, Hakyeon?" His gazed unflinchingly trained at his face, despite the harsh tone of Taekwoon's voice. 

"Aww, is my favorite artist feeling down today?" He joked. "We can't have that."

He let out another sigh. Of all the people he'd want to see today, Hakyeon was not high on his list of priorities.

It was a comfortable relationship at best. Hakyeon and him. He's a pain in the at times, but Hakyeon was the only friend he cherished at the moment. Their bond was close to inseparable.

 Bromance is what the young called it these days, he supposed.

The younger hadn't noticed that Hakyeon had moved, so the puff of breath on his ear startled him, causing his face to flush a deep red. It was quite a sight, and quickly receded his last thought. Hakyeon was really a force to be reckoned with.

"Taekwoonie-ah what are you doing!"

"Nothing."

"You wouldn't talk to me. Your precious hyung! Oh the agony!"

"Your ridiculous.  Not in the slightest way are you precious to me." Of course it wasn't true, but there was no way that he was giving in to Hakyeon's daily jesting.

"Ah, you wound me!"

"Can you stop being so dramatic? You can go annoy your students, but not me." Taekwoon huffed. He really wasn't in the mood for Hakyeon's antics today.

"Aww, Taekwoonie-ah, are you going to tell me what's wrong? Hold on, let me guess. Grading?"

"Well that's part of it, but there's something else."

Hakyeon pulled up a chair next desk and sat down. "Tell me more. You know I can't help if you keep being so vague."

" I'm not sick, I, -I just feel off. Like I'm not myself."

Hakyeon shifted around in his seat. "If you're not well, just take the rest of the day off. I'll cover your afternoon classes, since I'm free for the rest of the day."

Taekwoon nodded. "Are you sure? Last time I let you sub for me, none of the kids got any of their projects done."

Hakyeon smiled, cheeks high,teeth white. " You can trust me. You always have, if I can correctly recall."

He shook his head in disbelief, but never less gave in.

 


A bit ways later he left the building. It was about mid-lunch time, so he was able to pick up food and get back home quite quickly. He wasn't much for spending time in the market place; hell, the old lady with the rolling pin scared him enough. It didn't help she was looking mighty mean, and at him too.

Taekwoon turned the key in the lock and entered the house. The blinds have been closed all day, so there was a slight chill in the air.

He never adjust to living on his own. It was too quiet. Too big. There was so much room. So many places where things could hide, and you wouldn't even know. Creepy.

Kicking off his shoes, he loosened the scarf around his neck, pulling it off. His bag and keys were set next to the door on a small table, there for him tomorrow, and as it would be most days.

Definitely, there was a bit of him that wondered briefly about his life had he made a few different choices. But the past was the past, and dwelling on it would make life more unnecessarily hard. He knew repeatedly pushing these problems away wouldn't make things any better. But at the moment, he didn't have it in him to care.

 

The next morning, the sound of his alarm sounded promptly at 7:00 am. He hit the snooze bar repeatedly, willing the clock to give him just a few more moments of sleep. It was insistent, and so he slipped of the bed and pulled out the cord. One day he was going to need to get a new clock.

He took a quick shower, and had an even quicker breakfast before he left the house. His mornings were usually like this, fast paced and groggy, sleep evading him like a dream far out of reach.  He never like getting up early in the morning.

The walk to school was short,  only a few minutes before he arrived at the gates, thick with rust and age. It'd only been a few years since he started working at this University, but it never failed to rustle him just how far he'd come in this life. His teenage years were just a blur in his memory, and hell, his first day of grade school seemed like centuries ago.

Go

He jolted. It was so sudden, the voice he heard. He looked around but the only people around him were a group of girls that been hanging around the gate. They were staring at him oddly, almost a predatory look in their eyes. He shivered a bit. Maybe they were just messing with him.

He walked passed them, not even sparing a glance, and into the building. It wasn't uncommon for people to play pranks on him. Taekwoon was 6'0" and had a bit to boast in the beauty department. Not that he does boast. Or would. Ever.


Still, there was this prickly feeling in his skull,  a emotion that was telling him that something was going to happen, and he'd just stumbled right into a landmine.

 

The bell had just rung for 3rd hour, the student's exiting the classroom almost as fast as they were entering. This was his smallest class, so it was expected. After this, only one more class, then lunchtime would arrive. He was slightly relieved at the thought. He was running low on fuel, and Taekwoon was pretty sure a  new bout of migraines was about to start its assault on his tired self.

Reaching into his desk drawer, he pulled out a bottle of aspirin, popping the cap off and swallowing a few, and replaced the lid. A quick swig of water and a glance at the classroom told him that he was missing a couple of students, probably late or sick. It was always one of the two these days.

There was only one assignment that was current in the class. As soon as he took attendance, he dismissed the student's to work on their sculptures, one that was worth 50% of the fragile grade they had. It was cruel, in a way, but this was college. What did they expect? 

He'd wanted to give them something easier to do, but there was a probability that the lesson plan would be rejected by the director. 

The clock was ticking ever slowly. He sighed, sitting down in his chair. There was still many works he had to grade.

Look.

He froze. There it was again. That voice. Now he knew something was wrong. Those girls he saw earlier, weren't in this class. Distinctly, the voice was female before. Now it was male, similar to his own, but deeper.

None of the kids were paying any attention to him. None of them were even close to his desk.

*They're looking at you again. Come on, just look.*

He was looking at them. They weren't looking at him. They're working.

*You don't know? Them. They are.*

It was more prominent now. It was like there was somebody inside his head. This wasn't…right. It was too much to information to handle at this point in time. This was one of those he hated about himself. He broke down way too easily.


"Mr. Jung, are you alright? You look a little pale." 

His mouth felt glued shut, his fingers trembling and chilled, gripping the edge of the desk tightly. "I always look pale" he thought with weak sarcasm  "why would now be any different."

"No." His voice cracked softly. "Go get some help." He managed to get say. "Now!" Not releasing his gaze till he was sure the student had left.

Then he out.