Snap

The World They Create Together

Wang So

It was time. The household was asleep. Byul was protected from all the entrances by trusted night guards. His wife and daughter were sound asleep in his bedroom, and he had Yong stand guard. Now, it was time for him to do what he must. He had worn his hunting clothes with his hair up in a bun, with his black and grey mask. Silently, he grabs his sword and walk out of his bedchamber. Not looking at the bed because the sight of Soo and Seol will not help him tonight. No, not when he had to let the darkness in tonight. He did not wish to taint them. Giving a silent nod to Yong, he walks with silent footsteps out of the house, to the courtyard connected to the palace grounds. It was time to head to the underground prison to deliver on the threats that he had been making for weeks.

Wang Yo

Finally. That wolf-dog could be seen through the vent. Though it was undignified, he had resorted to hiding inside the vents. And in order to avoid detection, he was lying on his stomach and was quite cramped in a rather tiny limited place. But it could not be helped. Not when the underground prison was one of the most protected place in the palace, with the most competent and loyal soldiers of Pyeha was all over. He needs to find something for him to bring back that can take care of the obstacles in front of him that block the path towards the throne. Though it was hard to see, it was still possible for him to hear everything that was going in the cell underneath him.

Cell

The occupants in the prison were terrified. Some hid their fear, other was quite obvious. It was not a rumor after all. No, the fourth imperial prince was really some kind of monster.

For how was it possible for those with royal blood, the mighty and majestic to do such thing. To personally, break the bones of prisoners, to burn the skin with a hot iron, to make deep cuts on a woman's face. Because that was what the 4th prince had been doing. Ever since he had arrived in the cell, he had personally been interrogating each of the prisoners.

The ones in the beginning had though it was going to be a joke. Why would a prince do such things? Those threats in that book they had been read to for the past weeks must all be a bluff. That was what everyone thought, but no it was not.

With a calm expression, and a deep voice void of any emotion, the 4th prince had been interrogating them. And those who were not giving anything up, not even a small amount were killed. By the sword laid on the table next to the interrogation tools. A single strike straight to the heart, killing them in seconds. It must have been a relief to that prisoner. But the torture continue with the next one, the ones who spoke up were taken aside by the royal guards.

Most likely so that the prisoner can personally recount their sins to His Majesty. The prison guards knew that their ruler was nearby and was waiting to personally interrogate those who were willing to talk. The fact that His Majesty who had been hearing all of the tortured sounds created by his son's hands but had not brought anyone to stop his son was terrifying. It was different from the palace guard's image of an aging benevolent king. No it was like there were two beasts here tonight. Both of them tearing apart those they had deem to be unworthy in to pieces.

"Stop, stop, please. I will talk. I will tell you everything." Though words spoken by the court lady finally stop the sounds. For what lady will not talk, not when she was now bleeding from a cut on her cheek that extend from her a corner of her lip to near her ear, now permanently disfigured, when she had been one of the more beautiful court ladies.

Silently, the 4th prince put down the knife, and dragged a chair in front of the tied prisoner and sat down in silence.

"My mistress was right, you, you are a beast. You should be taken down. You and all those soiled by you."

"Yes, she must have wished for that. How was she going to do that?" The little spunk that the court lady showed disappear as the 4th prince speaks, in his hand, now there was a tiny clipper. A denailer. The hint of torture must be enough for the court lady to start talking again in a more soft tone.

"She joined hands with other queen and a princess." The court lady's eyes were watching the prince's hands, the entire cell was silent.

"Please the Pyeha here, Captain. I think we may have what we need." The captain silently made his way out of the cell, and the 4th prince stood up and drag another chair beside him, then push the chair with the interrogation tools most closer to the prisoner, and drag his chair to the side of it, now even more closer to the prisoner. Before he took his seat, he looks around the cell, then make a silent announcement.

"Anyone of you who are willing to talk, may volunteer in front of His Majesty. He is likely to have mercy on you. And you, court lady, I know enough already, any attempt to deceive will mean continuation. I have already shown what I am like, I am currently not angry. Pray that I will not have a chance to be with you again when my temper is not in control."

The sound of the door opening stops the prince and the sight of Pyeha stops any sound. With a silent nod to his son, the king takes a seat in front of the prisoner and looks at his son with another nod.

"You were saying that your mistress had joined forces. I assume it was with Hwangbo." The court lady looks up in surprise to the prince who simply continued on. "I know that the incident at the first rain ritual was the doings of Yoo and Hwangbo. The slaves at my compound had admitted to hearing that. Now, that must not have been it at all. What do you know of the attack with the arrow?"

"Pyeha, I swear that I only know this. I only know that the Queen Yoo and Queen Hwangbo both wish for the supporters of the Crown Prince to disappear."

"Then the poisoning?"

"I have no idea about a poisoning all I know is that there is a plan on the Ninth Festival to drive the 4th prince out. My mistress wants him gone, and his wife, ward and sister to all be banished, executed or turned to a slave. I swear that is all I know" The court lady's voice begins to tremble as she speaks, because it was now obvious to everyone that the royal men were displeased.

"I know that you once delivered a poison to Court Lady Oh on the order of Queen Yoo. If it was not you, who else is capable of delivering the poison that will kill a royal child?"

"You have no proof." The court lady once she look at the prince seems to be fighting. It was easier for the prince may be of a royal blood but he was not the ruler.

"I see. Then I assume Queen Yoo intends to work with others to place the 3rd prince on the throne. But is she going to help him when it is discovered that he had a plan in planning the incident at the rain ritual? Because even his status of a prince will not stop his punishment when the deals that my brother made with bribes on my mother's behalf with those beyond the border becomes known. I already have a list of names." Here, the 4th prince takes out a paper from his sleeve and holds it up so that the court lady can read it.

"It does not matter. If the 3rd is not there, there is the 14th. My mistress's wish will come true. I already know that she has the plans in place. She has personally told me that though the 3rd may be strong, he is still weak. A prince that cannot stand lightning is not someone that she needs if he causes her harm."

"I see. Pyeha, I fear that this is all from this court lady. May I request for her to be executed for the crime of poisoning my royal wife and your grandchild/"

"No, Pyeha. Why am I being punished when I was following the orders of your Queen? A royal wife? That whelp is not a royal and an adopted ward is not a royal. Please Pyeha, I can be of use to you. Please have mercy."

"Wait, a royal? No, I had no knowledge of it being royals?" A prisoner, it was from the gang that the 4th prince intercepted. "I knew to kidnap the women but there were just low noblewomen to be sold into a brothel, not royals." His admission had gained the attention of all those gathered, especially the 4th prince, who left the side of the court lady, and had now was in front of the gang member.

"You did not know that it was the member of royal family that you were to kidnap?"

"No, I would never have took part if it was the royals."

"Bring me a torch," the prince was handed a torch by the nearby guard, and the torch led more light that brought the prisoner's face into view. "I see why. You are the bastard son of Kwon are you not? You were the ones that helped the slaves escape from your household and then went into hiding."

"Yes, Your Highness." That quiet admission was the first time a smile appeared on the 4th prince's face. Handing the torch back to the guard, the 4th prince made his way back to where His Majesty was. "Please hand out your decision, Pyeha. We are in your command."

"Court Lady Min, the crime of poisoning in the past with Court Lady Oh, thus leading to the dead of her royal child. Then the poisoning of Princess Hae Soo and her unborn royal children and Lady Wang Seol. On one count of regicide and four counts of attempted regicide, you are now sentenced to a beheading outside the palace gate in two days. Your family will all be interrogated and then reduced to the status of commoners. 4th Imperial Prince Wang So, you have done a great service for Goryeo tonight even if it will remain unknown. You may ask for two things, and I will grant them to you."

"Thank you for your grace, Pyeha. I am glad to have been of service tonight. If I dare to ask, please give that bastard son of Kwon to my care, I have use of him."

"Granted, anything else, 4th prince?" Now, the 4th prince goes on his knees before the king.

"Please do not punish the 3rd prince for his crimes committed due to the urging of Queen Yoo. Please spare my elder brother, Pyeha. I know how he feels, please give him a chance to redeem himself just once more before deciding on his punishment."

"You do know what he had done, and were planning to do to you and your family. Why?"

"Because he is my brother Pyeha, and I know that there is a chance for him to turn loyal to you and the Crown Prince, please grant me one chance, and if that does not work, and he continues to be disloyal, I will not dare ask you this again at that time."

"The blood you shed tonight were for the Crown Prince, and I know your loyalty is to him. Then I will grant the 3rd Prince Wang Yo a pardon just once, but the moment I hear of any other act of treason, I will have him banished."

"Thank you for your benevolences, Your Majesty" As the 4th prince bows down before the king, the king silently stands up, and head towards the door with the Captain following behind him.

"Act on my orders and you are excused for tonight, 4th prince. You do not need to shed any more blood on my behalf anymore." With the king's exit, that the cell was back with a sudden noise.

All the occupants silently watch the 4th prince who rises up then with a quick glance around the cell, then to the vent on the ceiling, where he seems to have whispered something, perhaps a prayer, he exits the cell, his footstep made of blood and dripping blood from his robes leaving a trail on the stones.

Wang Yo

He could not believe it. No, he wish that he never came here tonight. That he had never heard what he heard tonight. That his Eomoni, that his Eomoni had said to her most trusted court lady that he was disposable. No it could not be true. No, he will go to her, he will ask her. It could not be true. And the plead on his behalf by him. By that...that….that wolf on his behalf. Pleading for him to be pardoned. No it could not be. But it was that whisper and those familiar eyes that stare directly into his face that undo his control.

"Please be free now, Yo Hyungnim. Please return to being my Hyungnim again."

In that moment, the lock that he had placed in his memories by himself were broken and his chest hurt and his eyes water against his will as those memories invade his mind once again. He needs to go, he could not stay here, he needs to get out of here. Into the air so he could think. He needs to go to Eomoni. He needs to learn the truth.

HAPPY NEW YEAR!

I hope this chapter was worth the wait. I have no excuse for the delay but I will continue on with this story. I will update my other stories during this week as well.

I love you all for all your support and please continue to leave reviews, they are the reason that I can keep on writing.

I hope everyone will have a year full of happiness and blessings in 2019.