Rain Ritual

The World They Create Together

Hae Soo

She stand in that ground once again waiting for the master of the rain ritual to start. But instead of bowing her head and sneaking peeks, now she stood straight, right behind the lines of royals, and was looking at the gate. Dressed in a white and black ceremonial hanbok, her hair in a plain braided bun of a married women, held together by a white ribbon, she waits in silence. Standing besides her in their own ceremonial hanbok are Soon Deok and Woo Hee both of them wearing a braided band in their hair, they also were looking at the palace gates. She wonders who will be the first master of ceremony that will enter. Who will be the first to walk across the white pathway, climb up the steps and perform the bows towards the heavens in front of the offerings.

She just hopes that her prince will not be hurt again, her prince who was still a child in the sense that he still wants his mother's approval, and she will not deny him that no matter how much it hurts. All she hopes was that the people do not see him as a cursed being, but rather have recognized that he did care. Why else will he invite the public to his royal wedding and go on a trip to provide rations? She hopes that the people can think on their own, rather than being instigated by the villagers paid to cause troubles. She couldn't help touching her stomach lightly, her babies, her twins, she knew that they will witness their father's actions today. Their Seol's spirit must also be here, with her father in the form of the wedding rings that she had made in their memory, that was used by Hui's family as their official wedding rings, which hang on a chain around her husband's neck touching his chest.

This ritual was the start, the start of her fears, the start of her heart problems, but this time, she had conquered her fears, she knew the truth, and no longer was she alone or misguided. In this ground, she was here to support her prince for him, for them, not because of an empty promise that was given to her by the 8th prince, who was kind but never took an action for her. Instead it was the 4th prince, her Wang So, who threw everything away for her, who loved her with his entire being.

The goong once again sounds, and the cries of the citizens are heard through the gate. As the door opens, she could see, and she feels phantom pain in her heart starts as she sees what is going on.

Instead of her 4th prince walking majestic and powerful to perform the ritual, there he was being pelted by stones and feces. The cries of monster, demon, even death threats were filling the ground. But she knew that her prince will not mind the stones or the feces, for he was willing stepping into those objects. Because he was protecting someone. He was protecting the slaves.

The slaves who were tied together in front of the palace door with chains holding them together just daring the 4th prince to try to enter the palace grounds. She knew that he was standing in that shower of humiliation, because he did not wish for the death of those slaves. Why would he? Her prince was the ones who wished to free the slaves, these slaves who were treated less than human. If he were to go through, he knew that he had to forcefully remove the slaves harming them in the process. If he hurts them, the rumors of his cruelty will become a confirmed fact rather than a rumor. The mastermind whomever it is was determined to thoroughly ruin her husband.

"Agasshi, please don't look, please you will get sick." Hearing the voice of Soon Deok and Woo Hee talking to her, Soo finally notices that she had her hand on her chest and both of her friends, no more like her sisters, were right next to her, trying in their own way to block the view. As to spare her the pain. The pain of watching her husband being stoned as he was trying to save those slaves from the chains. The rain ritual forgotten, all that mattered to him were the lives in front of him that he could save. She could hear the palace guards gathering to separate the slaves from the chains tied to the gates, to get the prince back to safety.

She knew her lover, he had no regrets for his actions. A brief glance at the palace grounds showed that none of the court officials were surprised at the events, and none of the other princes except the three youngest showed signs of concern. Then when her eyes look at the platform, she knew. She knew that both Queens had their own part in this chain of events. But then again, both of their sons now had a chance to be named a people's saviour and gain glory, why will they not do something to hurt a prince that held no importance to them. But looking at the face of the Princess, she knew that she felt like the 4th prince deserved it. Why else were there signs of her dimples on her face. Being how selfish the princess was she must think of this as punishment for the 4th Prince for daring to marry Hae Soo, a person that the Princess despises.

"I'm alright, Deok-ah, Woo Hee-ah. We need to stay for the next two rituals no matter how much we do not wish. Hwangjanim is strong, and I know that he chose to free those slaves, and get hit by those stones out of his own free will. Those people still do not understand him, all because they are blinded by that mask."

No, she could not blame the people no matter how much she wants to. They were just the tools, the ones to blame are the ones that planned and carried out this plan and hurting those innocent along with it. She know that in a way it was good that the mastermind were royals because she knew that the warrior in her husband will not stop from avenging those slaves. Most likely they will gain more servants because those people will not have anywhere to go. But she had no complaints, those slave's only crime was their status, they did not willing become an obstacle to hinder the prince's path.

Wang So

He was naive. That he could still be surprised by an act of human cruelty, after reigning over so many years as one of the most terrifying kings of the nation. But he was never this dirty, no his actions were never this cruel. Just looking at the fact that these people had dragged these innocent slaves that included elderly, and young children to protest, to offer them as a sacrifice in order to meet their goals, not even caring at the fact that they were also humans. He did not need to know much, he knew that the two Queens had a part in this. The cruelty of his mother, and the brains of Hwangbo to destroy his pride or reputation.

He was truly delusional that he had thought there was a possibility that a mother who never touched his face till her dying moment, that too in disgust, will ever approve of him, will ever love him. No, now he can throw her out of his mind, though he could not kill his affection for her from his heart, from his mind, he will erase them. It was their fortune that he could not punish them, no they will be free, but he will always remember this.

"All of you, I know you did not wish to do this. I will have you taken to my house. Wait there, and follow the orders of only the guards San and Tae, they will protect you." Looking at the slaves kneeling on the ground, that was all he could say right now. No, he could not meet their eyes without the feelings of shame overcoming him. That he carried the blood in his veins, of one that led to the current situation of these slaves. As the slaves were lead away by San and Tae, So looks at the other guards inside near the palace gates as the sound of the goong once again starts outside. The two other ceremonies were starting soon, he had to be in that crowd of royals. He will not hide away. "Yong, go and get a spare ceremonial clothes from my old chamber. Heok and Jin, you get a bucket of water from the kitchen in here. I will be joining my wife outside."

He did not care about the surprised glances that he received from the many guards in the room, he simply went into one of the side rooms near the palace entrance with a door and a hole on the ground for drainage. Once entering the room, he simply took off all of his clothes, his mask, and let his hair free. At the knock on the door, he called out for the guards to enter, and simply gesture for them to pour the water on him. As his body is soak in water, it allows for him to cool his temper while also washing away all the feces, mud and other things from his body. Then he took hold of a fabric near him and simply dry his hair, before using one of the long chopsticks with sharpen edges that he always kept with him to pull his hair up in a bun. Them wearing his mask and the ceremonial clothes that was held out to him, he got ready to face the crowd. Now that his mind was clear, and his temper under control, he look around and see that he had three of the guards that he absolutely trusted, and no one else was with them in this room. It was the perfect time to inform them of the extra guarding duty that he wishes for them to do. Soo's pregnancy was still a secret to those not trusted as they did not wish for anyone to know, no it will be after the drought, in celebration of rain that it will be announced.

Woo Hee

She wonders as she witness Lady Hae Soo, no it was simply Soo, she had to get used to calling her that. Here she was standing strong in front of so many people, after her husband was forced to either perform the ritual after pushing aside a line of slaves or stay there as he was thrown stones, mud, feces and other things at him. Just what kind of strength she had that even ignoring the fact, that her heart could not bear shocks, she still stood here in this heat, in front of so many eyes, with her head held high.

But Woo Hee was proud as well. Even though she should be cower in shame, no she was proud that she could call the 4th prince, her Orabeoni, for what she saw today proved that she had made the right decision. She will be cared for, and her people will be safe in the hands of only the 4th prince, not left at the mercy of the other Goryeo royals who was capable of orchestrating that situation using the slaves. Who could have been her people that were made slaves. At the slight sounds of gasps around her, she turns her head back, and see another amazing sight.

The 4th prince, her Orabeoni, who had completely humiliated just a while ago was in the fields. Dressed in clean royal ceremonial clothes with the symbol of the dragon on his waist clothes, completely clean, his hair tied up in a rough bun, walking with his head held high. At her concerned glance, all he offered her was a smile, before standing right besides his wife, and taking her hand in his.

These two. These two were truly strong that they held their heads up high with no sign of discomfort. Looking at them, she also raised her slight bowed head. They were not the criminals, the masterminds were. They had no reason to hide, especially her. As the Princess of Hubaekje, she should not show any signs of submission, as her submission was her people's submission to the likes of Minister Park. Park who was on the other end of the ground most likely haven't even seen her. Why would he when he has no idea that she had left the Gyobang. The goong sounds in the air, and she faces towards the gate. The second ceremony was beginning.

The three young princes

The respect they felt for their 4th brother have soared to new heights today. How he could stand against such hatred, all because of his mask and the manipulations of nobles that got those slaves to be used as a barrier. Their brother had chosen to be humiliated rather than hurt those unknown slaves. Perhaps they should not be surprised, they had heard their sister-in-law Soo talking about equality and how all people should be equal under the heavens. Their older brother had never challenged his wife's views only told her that it was not a change that was easy to happen.

But they had learnt that as princes, no matter how powerless they were in the field of politics, they could still take care of the people, the citizens that lived in the nation that their father had founded. But what surprised them was the silent strength displayed by both their So-Hyungnim and Soo. Even after that horrific scene, they still were standing on this ceremonial field, to witness the other ceremonies. A goong sounds again, as they take their eyes off the pair just behind them to look at the gates. The next ceremony was beginning.

Hae Soo

She did not need to hear the gasps around her to know who had arrived. His footsteps, his presence was engraved in her very soul. As she feels his hand take her hand, she simply squeeze his hand tightly as she watches the gate. They will have time to talk later. First they had get through the ritual, and stand with their heads held high against the snakes in the palace.

It was the 8th prince that was the master of the ceremony this time. The citizens were simply praying for rain this time, bowing behind him. So different than the way they were just a while ago. Their actions were not important, she simply watches as the 8th prince walks towards the steps. She could feel the satisfaction rolling off the Princess, but she wonders if the 8th prince was actually capable of the responsibility that will be placed on his shoulders if he were to succeed. Before she would have believed that the gentle and intelligence were the best traits, but that was for modern times, in the 10th century, there was a need for action.

Now that she thinks about it she could see the difference between the ritual that her husband had performed in the other world and this one she was witnessing. The key was the dryness. Both of the man were confident, but there was no sign of warmth enclosing the figure of the ritual head. The white was supposed to make you look pure, but it did not do much for the 8th prince, he did not pure, rather he looked like he was dead in his heart. His bows were of course taken in beautiful postures, but once again, Soo could not feel the aura of strength that she had noticed in her husband in the past. No truly, there was never anyone like Wang So. He was the only one that she could be truly herself with that even his back image fills her with a sense of protection.

Suddenly, the sounds of powerful winds fill the place, and she fills herself being gently pulled into her prince's chest, her face in his chest so that the enormous amount of sand and dust in the air did not touch her face. A brief peak showed her that Woo Hee and Soon Deok had their sleeves in front of their faces to protect themselves. She was no fortune-teller but the place being filled with dust with such low visibility may have some sort of meaning about the 8th prince but that was not important right now. She will think about it later. Now she had the dilemma of not wanting to move from her place on her 4th prince's chest. The warmth was so wonderful not to mention his masculine scent was filling her nose and through it to her entire body.

"Soo-ya, it is almost over. There is just one more ceremony left. Then we will leave. You need to rest." Of course, he is always concerned about her. Never truly caring about his own health. He had to be checked over to make sure those stones did not hurt him, but no what was important to him was the fact that she has to rest so she will keep her strength up. She had truly been a fool in the past, that she had failed to recognize who was the man that she should trust. Who truly had her heart.

Perhaps it was because of how similar today was to what happened in the past that all of these thoughts kept on appearing in her head but it did not matter right now. These reflections were reminding her just thankful she was for this chance to do over, to live her life with him once again.

"I'm alright, Your Highness. How about after we change, we go out to the boat? It will be a good change." That's what she says, as she lifts her head up off her husband's chest, and slowly step away a little from him, but never letting go of his hand tightly gripping onto it. She got a small smile, that was good. She wants to prevent her prince from falling into despair.

No matter how much he acts tough, she knew that he was hurt. Hurt that no matter what it did not change the fact that his mother will never care about him. That he was still not accepted because of his mask. If she was not in public right now, and could feel some stares at the back of her neck, she will lift her hand to move his bangs off his face, so she could touch his face, but it did not matter, she could always do that later. As the sound of gong fills the grounds once again, she straightens herself up, and go back to facing ahead with her prince standing beside her. Now it was the 3rd Prince Wang Yo's turn.

As the 3rd prince walks, once again she starts to compare him to see the difference between this master of the ceremony, and the 4th prince in the other world. Both of them were confident, she could feel that in their steps. Both of them gave a side glance to their mother, but where her prince had shown confidence in a silent mask, the 3rd prince Yo and his mother shared a smile of mother-son affection. She squeeze the hand of her prince tighter, once again he was witnessing a sight that he wish it will happen to him, but as she felt her hand being squeezed back in return, she was relieved. Her prince was alright.

Rumbling. The sky was rumbling like it was angry, or the sign of upcoming rain, but the rain did not fall, instead the rumbling grew louder and louder. Until the moment that the 3rd prince got down the steps of the ceremonial platform. The rain ritual was over. Three masters had their turn, but there was no signs of rain. It was an unsuccessful one, and soon there will be another. But that was a thing to care about later, right now there was something more importance.

"Wang So-ssi," she gets closer to her husband and wait till his face turns to face her before placing a pouting expression on her face. "I am craving some Patingsu and I feel hot, Please," with her best ayego with fluttering lashes and biting lips. "Let's go to the night market tonight. I want some cool air. But no guards. Just us, please."

"Soo-ya, it is dangerous," he was protesting but she could see the hesitation in his voice, he was melting. It was a good thing that even if they were in public, the grounds were filled with talk so no one could hear their conversation, and if her soul-sisters heard it they will not mention it.

"Please. The babies will love to see the market and the lights of prayers. I heard that it is best for mothers to witness and see beautiful things to make sure that her unborn child grows well without any concern." And he had folded. These children, she already knew had their father wrapped around their fingers, and for their well-being and her happiness, there was nothing this man will not do. She could not help the large smile on her face, these months of her pregnancy will be interesting for sure.