Countdown

The World They Create Together

D-7

Wang So

The moment he walks out of his room and enter the courtyard, he was treated to a strange sight. All of the servants and slaves of his private residence were gathered at the courtyard and were standing in lines. At the very front was Min Soo and Jae Hee, the two senior servants who were in charge of the rest of the servants. The moment they noticed him standing on the step into the courtyard, everyone even the little children of the slaves turn towards him and bowed down.

"4th Hwanjanim, congratulations on your marriage to Lady Hae Soo." He blinked in surprise. So many people, that had only been under him for less than a month, were congratulating him. Smiling he thanked them all for their wishes. Then Jae Hee and Min Soo both steps forward a little before talking in unison, "4th Hwangjanim, we, your private servants , have a request to make of you"

"What request?" He had no idea what kind of request they wanted? That too all of them?

"We wish to give a warm welcome to Lady Hae Soo when she enters this household as a bride. Therefore we wish for you to tell us what we can do to give her comfort as she adjusts to her new life." Of course it was Soo. Only she could inspire such care and loyalty from people after just a single meeting.

"If all of you truly wants to," and when everyone nods their head, Wang So smiles then he walks and take a seat on the straw bed in the courtyard. "Come I will tell you want I think you can to do as a surprise for her. I am sure she will be overjoyed. Also don't call her Hae-buin or Lady Hae, that is her cousin, call her Soo-buin or Lady Soo. That will be a nice change for her from being called Agashhi all the time." Then once everyone from the little children to the senior servants have gathered around him, So starts to talk to them about the surprise.

Soo and him, they had too many sad memories between them and not a lot of happy one so all they can now do is make happy ones. He also hopes that this new set of servants, many of them the younger version of his most loyal servants in the past life, will truly be loyal to them and will not betray him or his Soo.

Hae Soo

From the moment she woke up. Soo was surrounded by chaos. Usually a royal wedding have at least close to a month of preparations, but in their case, all of it had to be done in a week. Right after breakfast, it was to the markets in order to obtain all the items necessary for her life as a prince's wife. Then after Soo came back from the market, Hae clan leaders were there and this time, they brought along a selection of Hae servants from which she could choose the ones to take to her new residence.

She hated selection, because she did not want to let anyone be sad, but she had to learn to do the hard thing. Besides she was saving those unqualified from the temper of her future husband. While he was not a man to physically harm a slave or servant unless they had committed a serious crime, it did not mean that he could not be cutting with his direct remarks or his angry looks. Anyone that could not even speak up in front of her will suffocate in the palace. Also the ones that were obviously wishing to go to the palace because of their greed that she could detect that was not just a wish to have a better life, she did not select them. She never wanted to deal with a spy situation ever again. Just once was enough. In the end, out of the twenty possible servants, Soo only selected five. Two of them knew hair, one of the girls knew her sweets, another one knew dresses and the last one had a bit of make-up skills, nothing compared to hers but enough that if needed to she could trust the girl to get the job done.

"Soo-ya, are you going to bring Chae-ryung with you?" at the sound of her Unni she turned from where she had been sitting down while getting to know her new maids better. She stood up from her seat and went towards her Unni so she could guide her into the room. Once Unni was comfortable, she asked her about Chae-Ryung again.

"Unni, don't you think it will be best for Chae-Ryung to be here. At least she knows everyone here. At the palace, she will be one of the lower ranks, though she is my hand-maiden, I don't want her to suffer." That was the truth, she did not want Chae Ryung to suffer and once again anger the 4th prince because of her love for the 9th prince.

"She will have a hard life. But Soo-ya, at least she knows her mistress, and I knew that she would love to be with you. And I will feel relieved that she is with you so she can take care of you." No matter how much she wanted to say no, it was impossible to deny her Unni. So she decide to take Chae Ryung with her to the palace. Now how was she going to tell her Prince about this?

D-6

The 3 Young Princes

Everywhere the princes went in the palace, there were large movements from many people. The wedding preparations that usually took a month now had to be done in a week. Especially as this will be the first wedding of an unmarried prince, not a second or third marriage. The kitchens were busy preparing for the feast, Damiwon court ladies were busy preparing the ladies for the large social event and also starting to prepare the sweets and tea services, the palace attendants were preparing the courtyard close to the palace door for the wedding ceremony, then another courtyard for the banquet afterwards. All the young princes could do was look at the chaos and stay out of the way of the busy servants.

But they had a bigger dilemma on their mind. What to give as a gift for the couple? Things that they brought at the market was mainly for Soo, but what could they gift their Hyungnim? Books? A sword scabbard? Silver? Mask? Really what could they give him?

They had learnt that the Crown Prince had already purchased his gift for them, and Jung had heard that his eldest brother Yo was only attending the wedding because of duty and will most likely not gift the couple anything meaningful. The 8th Prince somehow seemed to have not even thought about buying a gift yet, when they had asked him which was strange as Wook-Hyungnim had always been the one that told them to not be so harsh on So-Hyungnim. The 9th Prince will of course give silver so they were out of people to ask for opinions. Even Jumong apparently had his gifts already ready, and sadly did not give them any ideas for their gifts.

So here there were walking around aimlessly thinking of something to gift their 4th brother, when they heard their 4th brother calling them from behind. Turning around to where the voice came, they saw that his 4th brother was walking towards them, and walking directly behind the 4th prince was one of the palace tailor and his assistants.

"Eun-ah, Baek Ah-ya, Jung-ah. Here is a letter for Soo. Give it to her for me, and get her reply, apparently I will not be able to leave the palace till my wedding day to make sure I do not come in contact with ill spirits," their brother rolled his eyes at that statement but still gave them a tiny uplift of his lips before ing what looked like three letters to the 10th Prince's hands, then quickly went back towards where the royal tailor was waiting for him.

"I think Hyungnim's wedding hanbok has not been prepared yet, that's why the tailor is in such a hurry. Well, whatever it is, we can now go out of the palace, I am sure some ideas will come to us as we walk towards the market, if not we can always indirectly ask Soo if she knows what Hyungnim likes."

"I guess Baek Ah is right, let's go Jung-ah, Baek Ah-ya. Let's go see Soo."

Hae Soo

Right in middle of a meeting with her Hae clan elders, there was an announcement at the door that the young princes have come to see her. Seeing no harm and curious as to why they were here, she let the princes enter the room, and stood up to greet the princes as they enter the room.

"Welcome, Hwanjanim."

"Soo-ya"

"Noonim"

"Soo-ya"

She smiled at all the princes before inviting them to sit at the table. As the princes have met her uncles before there was no need for introductions. She called for more tea and snacks before turning her attention back to the princes who were sitting quietly not talking to her uncles.

"Hwangjanim, did you come here for anything special?"

"Well, we were going to come over either today or tomorrow, but we all received letters for you from So-Hyungnim." Eunnie-nim handed her to her three separate folded papers.

"Apparently he is forbidden from living the palace till the wedding date, Noonim. Hyung definetely wanted to come but he could not." Jungie-nim really had changed, now he was protecting his brother, instead of trying to bring him pain. She was glad for that both the 14th prince and the 4th price deserved to be happy and be brothers not enemies.

"And he made sure to let us know that he can't wait till he see you again. Also we will stay here till we get your reply. I think we will be playing messenger for a while between you two, but at least we will get to see you often." That was Beak Ah-nim who usually gave her intel without much hesitation.

Since there were all waiting for a reply letter it she seems like she will have to read the letters and write the replies quickly. But opening their correspondents was not something she felt comfortable doing it in front of her uncles. When she glanced over at them, her uncles were starting anxiously at her letters. Maybe the 4th Prince had made too much of an intimidating impression when he went over to the Hae compound. But her uncle will never tell, another thing to ask her prince. Resigned, she opens the letters and starts to read. As always his letters was direct, the way the prince preferred. Since it won't take long to reply, she took out some paper and ink, and just start writing her replies right there. The princes can entertain her uncles in the meantime.

"Soo-ya, we have a question." Looking up just as she was putting the last word on her letter, there now was three very-nervous looking princes in front of her.

"Yes, what's the question?" She asked them as she fold the three separate letters.

"Noonim, we want to give Hyungnim a really good gift. Because we never gave him a gift before we don't know what to get."

"But it has to be something that we can get quickly."

"And you have to keep it a secret Soo-ya that you helped us." Words could not describe how happy she was that her prince now had his brothers with him that cared enough to get him gifts, , it was not just the 4th prince and 13th prince anymore. Smiling brightly at the princes in front of her, she hands the letters to Baek Ah-nim before replying to them.

"I know that 4th Prince will love anything that you give him. I do know that your Hyungnim loves trees the most. Actually why don't you all give parts of a big gift together?" Having an idea, she makes her way to where the princes were, as she remove the chain on her neck. Maybe the princes could be the keepers for their wedding rings, because it will not be long before she will have to public bathe and she cannot have the rings, made of such expensive unknown materials, at least in Goryeo, found in her belonging. "Hwangjanim, come close. I have a favor to ask you and maybe it will help you get an idea for your gifts."

As the princes lean in closer, she look towards her uncles, who seemed to be trying to take a peek at the 4th prince's letter. Well whatever happened in that visit to Hae's hometown, it had made both of her uncles really nervous about the 4th prince. Well, she will eventually find out what had happened, but while her uncles were distracted she could sneak the rings out. While also solving the matter at hand of gifts for Prince Wang So.

Wang So

He did not remember wedding preparations being this tedious. But then again, both times that he had gotten married in the past, he did not pay any attention to the details, Both of them were marriages of convenience, all for power, and it was a living death sentence to him. But not this time. This marriage to Soo was a heavenly-given gift that he could never ever let go of. But dress fitting was one uncomfortable experience. At the market, when his younger brothers were picking out fabrics, he had been distracted by watching their antics and their happy faces. But here there was no such distraction inside one of the side rooms at Damiwon.

Standing up on a wooden box, with both hands spread wide in his underclothes with the tailor and his assistants moving around him as they adjust a wedding hanbok to his size. Not to mention the various pins that were on the fabric, which made it impossible for him to move. That part was his body's torment. In front of him, determined to was Ji Mong. He had brought his books as well as romantic books and was now giving him advice on how to be a good husband and behaviours expected of a married men. When Ji Mong himself had never been married.

He hoped at least his Soo was not suffering this torture, both the physical and the mental one he was currently experiencing. How he wants to run to Soo and be by her side right now, but no, there was a royal order that the 4th Prince was to not take a foot out of the palace till his wedding date. Apparently, Pyeha heard about the difficulties that came up in selecting a wedding date, all because Soo and him were practically able to marry almost every single day of the year.

"Hyungnim," the door of the room suddenly opens with a thud, surprising the tailor that one of the pins nick his skin and Ji Mong dropa one of his books to the floor in surprise.

"Wow, Hyungnim you look like a porcupine." Eun-ah, of course he will say that.

"Hyung, if that is what you have to do to get married, I am staying single forever." Jung-ah, of course.

"I think all three of us agree to that." Even his supposedly favorite brother, Baek Ah.

"You...did you get a reply letter from Soo?" That was the important part right now as he had asked her some important questions. Wang So wanted to read the letter himself, but there was no way that he could move. But the answers were also important. It looks like he was in for some more teasing in the future but there was no choice.

"Soo gave you three letters right," once all three of them nods he goes on, "One by one, and in turns read the letters out loud. As you can see I will not be able to move from this place for quite sometime. But if any part of these letters are told to someone, I promise to kill you," then with a glare to all the occupants in the room and making sure that they nod their head in understanding, "let's start with Jung-ah."

"4th Hwangjanim. Please stop your worrying, I am fine. If ever my knees hurts, I have you to carry me. Same with when I am tired. No, I do not have an objection to a doctor being in the household, but everytime I see a doctor, I will ask them to also examine you. If I cannot be sick, neither can you. Speaking of servants, I have chosen five Hae servants. You know how much I hate to dismiss people, but I chose the ones that I think can survive in the palace, though most of them will just help me dress. And my hair, please know that I will only ever wear braided buns, I cannot wear any of those heavy hairstyles. You have been warned. At Unni's request, I will also be bringing Chae Ryung with me. I think she will be a good person to handle different things."

"Baek ah, your turn,"

"I heard from gossips in the market that you went out shopping for me. I look forward to the gifts. No I do not have a favorite candle scent. I love rose petals and jasmine scent. I will bring my own makeup with me, so please make sure that there is a room with lots of light for me to do my work as a makeup artist. Next, I demand a calligraphy room. It has to have a table where you can write for me, or we can write together. And a table out in the courtyard. But I will not promise to stay at the residence all day. I will be around the palace. You are the one that told me to use my body instead of my head. Well I am going to do both. If you object remember that I am simply following your wishes, but I know that you will not. I will wait for your next message"

"Eun-ah, now you"

"Wang So-nim. I have told you before and I will tell you again. I love you. All of you. That means even your temper, scars, and your childish side. Do not even think that I will love another man more than I do. Well, actually I may possibly love our children more than you, but you are not allowed to become jealous of them. If I am not to be lonely, I need something to do. Also I am telling it you straight, when I am blessed with a child, rather than being silent, I am going to demand things. You have been warned, please get used to waking up at night, as my mother had said that when she was pregnant, she made my father go out to find some special foods at all the time at night. Also it is said that a daughter-in-law's love is her father-in-law, so you also have been warned that I will frequently meeting with your father. No worries, your brothers are already my friends, I will treat them just like my own brothers. I can tell you that cheating scumbag will pass out with fear, if he ever encounter any of you princes, which makes me really happy."

Well, Soo was happy. Excited and happy. That was all that mattered. So what if once again he will have to deal with that servant? Her demands of calligraphy and makeup room was already something that he had done. And why in the world, would he refuse Soo? That too when Soo will be with his child.

"Cheating scumbag, who's that Hyungnim...did Soo get hurt by someone?" looking up he could see that all of his younger brothers were looking at him, and they were getting angry on behalf of Soo.

"Don't worry about him. That was just someone that was courting her that promised marriage, but went behind her back and became engaged to her best friend instead. It was back in her hometown. Do you really think your Hyung will let a person like that off, if I ever meet him?" He told his brothers with a chilling smile on his face. He would love to meet that bastard just once, and physically hurt him to show how much he had hurt Soo. Broken her trust not to mention Soo had told him that this scum had dared to steal her money and falsely have her get in trouble with thugs. Heavens were kind that this scum was in a place that he could not reach him, because he will not be stopped if he ever meet that scum.

D-5

There was officially five days left till the royal wedding. Songak's merchants were happy as more and more nobles and King's many wives were coming to Songak for the wedding. Well those who could make it anyways. Even those nobles that lived in Songak were coming out to the market to get new things as they all wanted to be dressed to perfection to the first ever royal wedding that was open to the public. The King had allowed the wedding to take place in the palace grounds that was visible from the gates for all citizens, and those who were influential will have a chance to stand on palace grounds and watch the wedding, apparently at the request of the 4th prince.

The marketplace got even exciting as the young princes were once again back though this time without the 4th Prince. This time, they seemed to know exactly what they wanted as they held a list in their hands. They also went to check up on their orders from a few days ago at both the tailor and dressmaker. Then they brought even more belts, ribbons, and ornaments. Then soon after, it was the palace servants and court ladies that entered the market and start to purchase items that were not already present in the palace for the wedding.

The royal wedding of the 4th prince was bringing in a tremendous amount of trade, that too in winter, so the citizens were thankful for the 4th prince who apparently chose his own bride and had given orders to make this a wedding worthy of the Goryeo royal family but also allow ordinary citizens to be part of the ceremony.

D-4

Hae Soo

Just four days left. Four more days till she could see him again. And she will witness him in his wedding finery. For her. All to wed her. She could hardly wait. She was glad that their date was set so soon, she knew that she would have been tired of waiting if it was set to be more later. They already had to wait for so long. They both had died without ever having married to each other, only married unofficially in their hearts. Her child in the past, Seol, he had never even held her in his arms as a father not even once. He had confessed to her that even if he had protected their daughter from a distance, never had he been able to touch her like she was his own. But this time it was going to be different. She was going to be strong, she will not let the palace her soul away. She will live a life, as freely as she could in this Goryeo dynasty. Surrounded by his love, and surrounding him with her love and having a family together.

Wang So

There were still four more days. Four more days till he will see his dearest wish come true. His marriage to Soo. A marriage that will make Soo, his first wife. His only queen. She will be wedded to him. And she will be by his side, and this time, he will not suffocate her. He will help her to take care of herself. Support her and surround her with happiness. His surprise for her on their wedding night was almost all ready. His servants were working day and night for their new Lady. He knew that all of them care for Soo and that is exactly what he wants. He had also started to train the maids around him in basic defense and some offensive maneuvers. If Soo ever got in trouble, he wants her to be protected by those around her, till he could make it to her side to get her out of trouble.

D-3

Hae Soo

Today, she finally came face to face with the 8th prince. She thought him to be a smart person, but he still had not figured out who her future husband was. All he asked was if she was ok, with the marriage, if she is not he could help her escape. Since she was curious, she asked how he could help her escape. 8th prince's suggestion, secretly send her to Tamra where she could live freely. He never even suggested a marriage to him as protection, what the 4th prince had offered for her at the Gyobang. Even then, this far in the past, he was so concerned about his image. But he did not think ahead, how will she survive in an unfamiliar land of Tamra, she may not be married if she went, but how will she live with no family and no job. Smiling at the 8th Prince, she simply had said thank you for the offer before moving back to her rooms. Soo felt a weight lift off her shoulders. This was the proof. This action of hers proved that she was no longer a naive girl and was able to use her mind properly in front of a seemly gentle and persuasive 8th prince.

Wang So

He was at the path in front of their lake. The place where Soo's ashes were in another time, but now here, instead of a grave, he had built prayer stones. Coming out when he could to build a stone tower. One for Soo, one for their unborn children, one for his brothers, one for the King, and one for all the victims in his past lives. He knew that Soo feels soothed by water and the prayer stones so he placed both of them together, and since it was close to his compound. Soo will have no problem coming out here alone or together with him, as many times as she wants.

D-2

Hae Soo

She wondered if people were blind or it was just the Hwangbo siblings. Why have they not figured out who she was marrying to yet? Even Chae Ryung had figured it out though she did not say anything about it to let her know. IIf Chae ryung knew then before long both the 9th and 3rd prince will know. She knew that there were not interested in their 4th brother's marriage, especially to her, an orphaned noble, so they likely will not object. The so-called mothers of her prince will not likely care as for both of them, not seeing the 4th was what they wanted. No officials took the 4th Prince as a threat as his scar had him unsuitable and that took him completely out of their minds.

The Princess had entered her rooms, as she was packing up her belongings, to inquire if she was ready to live with a man who will not give her any power or recognition. She had simply smiled that her future husband will care for her and her future children, and that is what she wants. She already knew that she will be happy. Then the Princess simply said that how unlucky that she will miss the chance to witness the royal wedding as she will be wedded tomorrow before exiting her room. She simply could not wait till the Princess find out. She simply could not wait as just her reaction will be hilarious.

Wang So

It seems that tonight was his send-off party into married life. Cups after cups of alcohol were given to him by his brothers, even some of the high ranked servants and soldiers. Then right in the middle of the drinking party. Grand General Park enters the room. Another ghost in his life, but his was a welcome one just as the figure of his daughter behind him. But then the party got even more wild, that he could not remember much. There was some dancing, some laughter, some one teasing him, Baek Ah telling everyone how stunned he was when he first met his bride all dressed up, how fiercely he argued with his brothers over the colours of his bride's new wardrobe, then Won said something about similar woman, and so on.

D-1

Hae Soo

Standing in front of the courtyard, was a single palanquinn with multiple soldiers around it, seemly guarding it with their very lives. Her wedding carriage.

Soo was just hugging her Unni. Wanting to feel the warmth of her embrace, of a mother's hug. She silently listened to all the reminders that Unni was telling her about her need to drink honey tea, to not be reckless, to make sure that her husband slept well. She just hugged her tighter. Soon she could hear the sound of her uncles calling her to come out. Smiling as widely as she could through her tears, she performed the farewell bow to her Unni.

"Don't worry Unni. I will be happy. Happier than you ever could hope for. And I will visit you often, and you can come visit me too, Unni." Then before she could start crying again, she walk out of the room. Right outside were the other members of the household with the Prince and Princess in front. She silently offers her final bow to them before turning to walk towards the palanquinn. Soon she will enter the palace, this time not as a bride for the King and end up as a court lady. But as the bride of the man she loved with her entire heart and soul, 4th Prince Wang So.

Wang So

He was in the Astronomy Tower, looking up at the stars. The stars who have been the witness to everything that they went through to get to this point. His Hae Soo. Soo-ya was in the palace, spending the night at the Damiwon. Tomorrow, at mid-day they will marry. Tonight, the moon was almost a half moon. Jumong had said that the day when the sun, which was him, and the moon, Soo, was both visible in the sky and merged together was the perfect day for them to be joined together. They will be wed on a day that they are equals up on the heavens. Just as he planned to be here down on this earth. He had fulfilled the promise to find Soo even if she was in an another world, and now they were together. Tomorrow, even the heavens will not be able to deny their union.