Uncle Hui

The World They Create Together

The King

Sneaking out of his own palace. Truly ever since his 4th son, So returned to Songak, there have been many unique things happening around him. The routine of the palace was now more chaotic but also could be very peaceful depending on the day. But it let him feel young again, and remember those days when he was a simple general in the army and a simple man.

Rather than the royal robe, he dressed similarly to Ji Mong, actually in one of the oversize robes of his Astronomer and his headband, while Ji mong was simply dressed as usual though he carried a sack on his back that held the necessary supplies if they end up discussing defense measure tonight. He followed Ji Mong through the lesser used hallways and realized that he never knew just how loose the security of Cheondokjeon was in some areas. He will have to go over this information with the royal guards later. Before he knew it, they were out of Cheondokjeon and were making their way across the palace to Damiwon. A place that was perfect for a secret meet-up since he knew that Court Lady Oh could be trusted completely.

Standing in front of the gates of Damiwon, hidden in the shadows were his sons, and his most trusted General and his daughter. Before they could even begin to bow, he waves him at them. There was no time for pleasantries, if he was to make it back to his royal residence before any suspicions arose. They have to be as quick as possible.

His eldest, Mu understood his impatience immediately, as he silently gestures for everyone to follow him. Eun and Baek-ah both had Jung walk in front of them. Of course Eun was trying to stay as close to his eldest brother and youngest, because he did not know nor like to fight at all. Surrounding him was the General at the back, Ji Mong up front, and Park Soon Deok was at his side.

Eventually their group made up of him, the King, his more trusted friends and the sons who supported his eldest were at the pathway next to the lake Dongii. He knew that right beyond this lake after passing a couple of more trails was where Byul, the residence that the 4th picked for himself before his marriage was situated.

Looking ahead, he saw two figures standing close together. As they grew closer, he saw that it was his 4th son, So and in his arms holding him around the waist tightly was his wife Soo. He had wondered why the name 'Seol' had caused his strong daughter-in-law who had been reassuring everyone about her good health to suddenly grow so weak.

The closer they got to the couple ahead of him, he saw that like his other sons were wearing, the 4th and his wife had chosen to wear plain commoner clothing done, though they have gone a step ahead. So had all of his hair down, no sign of him being a married man in sight, even his clothing were an old hanbok of all-black. For his daughter-in-law Soo, she was wearing a hanbok similar to that of a musuri, her hair was also down like she was not married. They truly were in disguise, to go as far as to pretend like they were not married. But that just showed the level of caution they were taking if all signs of their identity was hidden. Even the sparkling rings that he had noticed both of them wearing all the time was not present. His son must have heard their footsteps, for him and his wife turn to face him and give a bow to him.

Wang So & Hae Soo

Seol. The name of their daughter in their past life. The name that no one should know here. But only one that could know had to be the ones who knew about their past lives, which was the ones who gave them this chance for whatever reason.

So and Soo had decided that if they were blessed with a daughter, that will be her name once again. Seol, the purest snow who they wish to never be tarnished, to always remain bright and pure.

But they both did not know exactly what would happen tonight or what they will find, so they decided to make sure that they were no witnesses. The moment they had been escorted back to Byul, they had gathered all the servants and dismissed them by giving them the rest of the day and night off. For the slaves, as a thank you for their service, he had a feast and drinks send to their rooms so all should be either drunk or sleeping by now.

Then they had taken all signs of them being a royalty or even a person of influence away. Their wedding rings went back to the chain around Soo's neck. The peony and butterfly hairpin was put away. Then they took out the box hidden beneath the many small boxes in their cupboards that held their plain clothes. His wolf-hunting and her servant-like hanbok. Then they made their way to the prayer stones.

"Our Seol-ah," Soo could not hide her emotions anymore even more when she knew that she was close to her precious daughter's prayer stones. "I know that she grew up well, but I need her to be happy."

Silently embracing his wife with one arm, So brings her closer. "Our Seol is fine. I made sure of that, and no one can hurt her there. Our beautiful Seol is fine in that world, and when the heavens grant us and she's here with us, I will protect her. We both will protect her." There was nothing more he could say. They simply held each other as they stare at the stones they had both stacked together in the memory of the daughter they could not raise and with wishes for a chance to have a chance to be with her again.

Hearing footsteps, they could see their people, their family silently walking towards them. So let his arm loosen from around Soo's waist as Soo's arms let go of her hold around his waist. Seeing the King's face, they bow their head in greetings, using the chance when they are looking down to compose themselves then lift their head up in unison. Both of them filled with determination to capture these traitors that were threatening their loved ones.

The prayer stones

There was a quiet silence for a moment as the two heavily disguised royal couple stare at the sight of a huge group of what will look to be a band of commoners. The King, Ji Mong, General, Crown Prince, Eun, Jung, Baek Ah, and Soon Deok. But all of them knew that there was no time to waste even though the night was still young it will pass before they knew it.

"4th prince," the General was the ones to start as both group combine and become one with the King, Crown Prince, So and Soo at the center. "Where are those stones mentioned on the note?"

"General, Ji Mong, please follow me I will tell you which stones are the one." 4th Prince Wang So said before leading the two over to the prayer stones but not before turning to his father. "Pyeha, Soo and I have emptied out our house, there are no servants and all the slaves are drunk or asleep. Please head over there, I will be there as soon as possible with Ji Mong and General Park."

"But Hyungnim," turning towards the 10th prince who had interrupted before the king could reply, "you didn't tell us how you knew which stones that note was referring to?"

"The prayer stones Soo and I built, for each one there is a special person in mind, like the one of the highest stones are the ones for Pyeha and Crown Prince. One of the other ones are for Seol. It's a name that Soo and I have chosen for our future daughter when we are bleesed with one. Now, Eun-ah, I will answer all of your questions later. Jung-ah, come with me just in case, we have to carry something away quickly. The General may be skilled, but he is slow when it comes to running."

"Is that a way to talk to your teacher, 4th prince?" The General quickly replies back. The 4th prince just smiles at him. Then with a nod to his wife, the 4th prince takes a step to where the prayer stone of his Seol was with his youngest brother, General and Ji Mong following behind him as his wife Lady Hae Soo quickly leads the rest of the group towards their house, but not through the front gate, but rather through a side door that the servants use on the right side of the house.

10 minutes later

A large empty room in Byul

They were all sitting on the floor in a circle surrounded by many candles that were lighten up throughout the room. There was a large circular table in the middle of the room where Lady Soo had just served the tea she had personally brew to the King. The younger princes were quietly talking to Soon Deok and the Crown Prince, the main topic seemed to be what to do for the 10th prince's birthday which was coming up very soon.

They were all just trying to stay calm and were waiting for the group of four men to come back. But they did not have to wait long, as they could hear footsteps approaching. Lady Soo stood up from where she had been quietly asking the King if the tea was to his liking, and made her way to the door. She gestures for everyone to be quiet with her fingers as they could never be too careful.

"Ethiopia Queen," everyone heard the voice of the 4th through the door, and what he said must have been the right code, for Lady Soo opens the door, and the four men enter the room. The 4th prince still had his hair in a complete wild state with no sign of a hair tie in sight and was carrying his sword in his hand. Right behind him was the 14th prince who was holding two boxes in his arms who gave a bow towards his father then set the boxes down in the middle of the table before joining his brothers. Next was Ji Mong and in his hands was a small box and three large scrolls. General was the last one to enter the room and once he had checked that he was safe, he puts away his sword.

As the four men joins the others on the floor, as Lady Soo with Soon Deok's help quickly serves everyone their tea, before Lady Soo makes her way to sit next to her husband with Soon Deok besides her and next to her in order was the 10th, 14th, 13th and then the Crown Prince, who was next to the King, then Ji Mong and then the General next to the 4th.

"Pyeha, we found these hidden between the prayer stones that the 4th prince showed us. The 4th prince noticed the hole in the ground covered by grass, and these are what was in there."

"As Ji Mong said, it was hidden behind the stones. I have already checked the perimeter but they covered their tracks well."

"Pyeha, the boxes nor the strolls do not have any hidden mechanisms, Jung-ah and I have already checked for that. But we felt it better to open in front of you." The King simply nods at the brief report before gesturing for Ji Mong to open one of the scrolls. Ji mong sets the scroll with 2 and 3 written on it down on the ground besides, and unrolls the plain black scroll with 1 on it on the table, everyone around them silently listen Jimong recite.

1st Scroll

Though I do not know who is reading this letter, I know for sure that 4th Prince Wang So and Lady Hae Soo is present. I would like to start by offering my greetings to them, and to King Taejo Wang Geon because I know eventually this letter will be given to you.

By the time, you have received this letter, I know that I would have left this world. My family are safe, as I have sent my wife and my children off to Tamra months ago and they will survive. I know that they will change their surnames to avoid detection.

I do not wish nor desire to harm the royals of Goryeo in anyway. All I wish in these last months of my life was to perhaps fulfilling something in a way that my ancestors would take pride in.

I used to be a nobleman of Hubaekje, and grew up with wealth, eventually I served in its royal court. But now I am but a peasant in this land of Goryeo near the outskirts of Songak. But I do not hate the King for his actions, for I knew that it would have occurred a long time ago, that's why I moved myself away from the land of Hubaekje by dying in that land, before sneaking away to Goryeo where I had sent my family ahead of time.

You must be wondering just why a loyal subject of a defeated nation will try to help the person in charge of the invading nation. To answer that question, and for me to gain your trust, I will tell you the tale that have been passed down through generations in my noble family.

The first female ancestor of our clan had a unique experience. One day, she was forcibly drowned in the lake, and once she woke up she claimed to have gained a second set of memories, but she was ignored. This ancestor's name was never passed down so we all referred to her as Seol-halmoni. The name of the person that my ancestor's second set of memories supposed belonged to. The stories of those mysterious set of memories were passed down through the generations and the tale goes like this.

When Jumong sets the scroll down, everyone simply watches on, there are no change in their behaviour but in their minds everyone is thinking. Those who had been in Hubaekje's court tries to think of anyone memorable in the court. General knowing that Hubaekje was now involved, were thinking if there had been any intelligence on the movement of the Hubaekje. The young princes and Soon Deok was simply thinking just what tale, from a long forgotten ancestor was enough for a person to help the King of another nation that too the one that had been the enemy in war against his nation.

For the 4th prince and Lady Soo, they were the most shaken. They did not need any more clues. They knew that the soul in this man's ancestor was their Seol. Their daughter Seol from another world, but why would she have drowned in that world?

Soo had told So months ago that only way to travel across worlds from what she knew was if the two individuals drown at the same time. Wang So knew that he had written doctrines for the royal guards to always protect his child Seol, though in their eyes, it was his niece. And this man that may have sent them to this world, must be the one that sent them a signal so they had a moment's notice before an attack. If the letter writer was the descendent of their Seol's past self, then this man was their blood, their grandchild through bond, even if not by blood, and he was by now dead. they missed a chance to meet him, to hug something that was a part of their daughter once again.

But the couple could never tell anyone the truth, but silently Lady Soo resolved to pile up another prayer stone in the memories of their unnamed descendant, while Wang So will send someone to Tamra, to make sure that his grandchild's family was safe and help them in anyway possible.

Ji Mong opens the more thicker second scroll and starts to read once again.

Second Scroll

Seol was a normal noble child. A mother that died soon after she was born and only left her a hairpin. Her father was a military man who on some sort of punishment could not leave his hometown. Her stepmother was not particularly warm but she was not unkind to her. But that all changed when she was around six.

On the anniversary of her mother's death, her father took her out of their hometown, to another more flourishing town with a large building, which she learnt was the royal palace. There standing in front of her mother's grave was another man. The man had seemed cold to her but the moment she had lookup and saw his face, she felt some connection. This man she learnt was her father's older brother and was also the ruler of their nation, the one that sentenced her father to exile. The man was her uncle, but somehow their connection seemed to be deeper in Seol's mind. That day, her father was released from his exile and returned to his post in the military.

But as she grew older, she thought more and more about her birth, her identity. Especially when she could never seem to stop this feeling of love she felt towards the Eldest Uncle, the Emperor, nor how the Emperor seem to favour her above all of his other children whom he had never visited from the moment of their birth. To how anytime she went to the palace, the King was always in front of her mother's grave. To her appearance, while she knew that she greatly resembled her mother, she could never trace why she had such sharp eye shape, or her cheekbones, which was not at all like her father's. Unable to deal with the burning questions, on the next death anniversary in front of her mother's grave she asked the Emperor, her Eldest Uncle who never have lied to her. That was the day that she learnt the truth.

Seol was a hidden child. A child hidden from the eyes of everyone. The child of the Emperor and her mother, who had been the Emperor's personal court lady when he had been a prince. Her mother who did not want to be a queen because she grew tired of the palace, who had decided to break her own heart and hurt her precious lover in order to get out of the palace by marrying the man Seol had called her father. That her mother had loved the Emperor till her dying breath but the Emperor had been too late to reach her. At last she knew who she was. She was the child of a Emperor and a court lady, two lovers who loved each other so passionately but were never able to be united.

Seol's life did not change much after that. All she got were answers to her burning questions. She also gained her biological father on top of her adoptive one. The father who could never show her his true love and affection for her as he had to hide her from the sight of the others, particularly the Queen who would have executed Seol on the spot. But the Emperor followed her mother's dying wish by never letting her live under palace rules. She got married to a man that she chosen herself, and could live a normal life. But she always gave her prayer of thanks to her mother for wanting her so much that she sacrificed her own health to give birth to her. Her royal father for always silently protecting her, loving her so much. Her uncle who raised her like his own daughter.

Years gone by, and her royal father had asked his younger brother to sneak her into the palace. Even when lying on his deathbed, her royal father wanted to make sure that she was protected. He told her that he will tell her mother just how precious and beautiful their Seol is. The Emperor passed away with the name of her mother on his lips. That night in the sky, an eclipse was happening.

From that day on, Seol always did the three things. She offered her prayers to the heavens everyday and her last wish was always that her blood parents could meet again, that they will have a chance to be happy. Second, she made sure to never harm a wolf, she knew that her royal father had been given the title of Wolf due to his intelligence and strength, she felt like her father's spirit was watching over her every single time she encountered a wolf. Third, she silently traced the poems that her royal father had written for her mother, through his handwriting, Seol connected with her father, and she always drew a butterfly at the end whenever she wrote something. The butterfly that was always on her mother's hairpin that she wore on her hair.

This was the story of Seol-halmoni that had been passed through my family. Sure there were more and more details to it, but this was the core of it. My ancestor also began to add that prayer for Seol-halmoni's parents in her prayers, and made sure to never hurt a butterfly nor a wolf. These were something that all the members in our family, to the adults, children even the servants did, something that I still to this day to every single time I pray. But how this tale relates to the reason I helped the Goryeo's royal family is something that I will disclose in the next part.

"4th Hwangjanim, Lady Soo," Ji Mong says as he looks at the couple holding their hands and were sitting as if they were glued onto each other's side, "Your name for your future daughter is very special, if she will be anything like this particular Lady Seol."

The couple did not reply to Ji Mong, but they nodded their heads in gratitude. They knew that they could not speak at the moment. Their daughter, the daughter who they had never been able to care for had loved them so much that she had prayed, had made others pray for them to have a chance to be together. It only made them love her even more and miss her so much. All the others in the room was touched at the story of such a filial and loving daughter who had not hated her absent parents rather had understood them, and even had prayed for them to be reunited.

Ji Mong unrolls the last scroll and begins to read.

Third Scroll

The first time I witnessed the 4th prince riding through the Songak market, I realized just how similar he was to Seol-halmoni's father. Both of them were called wolves, a strong but lonely figure, but when he stops to buy a hairpin, I knew then that he was a kind man as well. I was close to death, due to my weak heart, and I thought as a good deed and to honour the wishes for happiness that Seol-halmoni had for her parents, by helping someone similar to the Emperor I could do that.

I had my connections through my days in Hubaekje royal court so I start to dig around, that is when I learnt about the poisoning. As no one will care about an old man, I snuck upon the hidden camp, and messed with all of their weapons, so that right before they use it, a certain sound will always be made, no matter how they try to hide it. I was also an inventor so I knew all the tricks.

As I was leaving the camp, that is when I saw Lady Hae Soo. Hiding under bushes sneaking up to an assassin's camp without a care in the world. When I saw the Lady's face, it was just like seeing the portrait of Seol-halmoni, an innocent face with large bright eyes, and hair of black shining like silk. That is why I decided to help her learn the plot,

I thought that she will be able to take the information to the royal guards and the poisoning could be stopped. Done with my good dead, I left Songak and went back to the village where I lived. I thought this would be the last time, I see either the 4th prince or the lady but I was wrong.

After a couple of days, while out on a walk, I encountered the two again, both of them dressed in black, the prince covered in blood, the lady unconscious as the prince carried her in his arms. Before I knew it, I had approached the two and offered my services. I was the old doctor in that old village, and had trained in medicine in my youth. That is why I could see the signs of potential illness that the Lady showed and given those warnings. As I had left the two, I heard the concern in the prince's voice, and I remember thinking a man like the Emperor in that old tale and a woman so similar to Seol-halmoni had affections for each other.

When I heard the wedding announcement, I once again made the trip to Songak, and through my old connections, I was in that courtyard at the royal wedding. Though it may have been my hallucinations, I thought I saw a smiling face of what I think to be Seol-halmoni right next to the platform. I like to think that I had helped fulfill the wish of Seol-halmoni even if it was not exactly her parents but rather someone similar to them. I cannot thank the heavens enough for having a chance to do something in the memory of Seol-halmoni.

That is when I decided to write this letter, though the letter may never be delivered, I wished for there to be something that I leave behind. But before I could finish the letter, I received new intelligence.

One of the Hubaekje slaves that serve in the royal palace happened to be the old trusted servant of someone I was close to in the court, and I had told him stories of Seol-halmoni before. This servant had accidentally overheard the 4th prince and his wife mention the name 'Seol' as they were building a prayer stone. I took that name as a sign and once more had investigators sent to the group of assassins. This was what I had found out.

There are multiple groups out to get the King and the Crown Prince. Joining them after the royal wedding is two more groups, one of them looking to kill the 4th prince, the other to kill Lady Hae Soo.

Though there are many plans, they plan on either forcing the King to abdicate or even leave the royal court operation to the ministers and the princes where they plan on proving the unsuitability of the Crown Prince. Another plan has them killing the King at a peace ceremony by a courtesan.

What I know for certain is that all of the plans have their preparations ready, it is only a matter of time before they act upon it. I could not find out more than this, but instead I have left some items to improve survive.

First, the weapons still make a certain sound before they are fired, so that will be a warning signal.

Second, I know that for the courtesan plan, they plan on using Hubaekje's Princess Woo Hee. Please stop that girl, but do not kill her if possible. She just cares for her people so much at the same time, she hates the King and Minister Park. But she could be persuaded to stop with her plan, if her people could be saved.

Third, my name in Hubaekje was Uncle Hui. All of Hubaekje knows about me and you may use my name to reach a peaceful treaty with Hubaekje if you are inclined. In one of the boxes, I left my official signature uniform, and a letter that asks the people of my nation to accept the reunification of the Three Kingdoms.

Lastly, before I close this letter and bid farewell, I have a request to you, 4th Prince and Lady Soo. In one of the boxes, you will find a set of hanboks. It is a hanbok that my family have protected through generations. It was the hanbok that Seol-halmoni made with the Emperor and his court lady, her parents, in mind. Throughout the generations, we have added details to the original hanbok such as new silk, different accessories and many more. Please wear the hanbok if it pleases you, I think that is what Seol-halmoni would have wanted and that's why I saw her at your wedding. The little box inside has the official family wedding rings of my clan. Please wear them, now they are yours.

I can feel that I am on my last breaths, all I can say is please be well, and be more happier than Seol-halmoni's parents. Take care of Goryeo and Hubaekje. Please tell the Princess that her Uncle Hui would have love to see her dressed up as a bride.

"That is it for the letter," with that Ji Mong closes the scrolls. All around him are silent people, each with their own thoughts. But before they could even think of dealing with it, the bell of midnight is heard. Knowing that there is only half of the night left, everyone controls their emotions then start to plan countermeasures based on the information provided by Uncle Hui.