Nine

Guilty Knight
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

If Jangmi was asked whether the apartment where Sora’s staying temporarily was far or not from the hotel, she wouldn’t know the answer. The road wasn’t that crowded, enabling Chanyeol to zoom past the cars in zigzag pattern. Her eyes only left the road for a short while when she checked her phone and she hadn’t expected to see that they had already arrived as she lifted up her gaze again.

“What? How…” Jangmi trailed off, still taken aback by his driving speed. She stared at the parked cars around them in the basement parking. Basement parking? Was I checking my phone too long? She glanced at Chanyeol who were happily mumbling something about five minutes and a new record. No. Definitely not.

Jangmi was caught off guard once again as they left the elevator at the fifth floor of the apartment building and spotted a man doing handstand on the railing. She would have yelled out of surprise if Chanyeol hadn’t distracted her by greeting the man. The sight didn’t affect Chanyeol at all as if it was perfectly normal for someone to do something that dangerous.

It’s freaking fifth floor! Jangmi shuddered with horror as she peeked at the ground level through the gaps of the metal railings from where she’s standing. A slight wrong move could easily kill him, sending him down to the earth.

Chanyeol casually offered him a high-five. “Yo, Master Yixing! What’s up?”

Master? Why master? Yixing? Is he Chinese?

The man who Chanyeol called Master Yixing pushed himself upwards so he hovered in mid-air for a brief moment before somersaulting once while he’s still in the air and finally landed on the ground. It happened so fast that Jangmi could barely keep up with his moves. She had to hold back the urge to clap her hands.

Acrobatic athlete?

With a bright smile and a dimple on his right cheek, Yixing gave Chanyeol a high-five. “How is my favorite disciple doing? Your master got an offer to be in a highly anticipated movie. Still considering, though.” He gave Jangmi a friendly glance. “You’re her, right? The witness. Jangmi, isn’t it?”

Jangmi nodded, but her mind was occupied with something else, her eyes widening in amazement. He looked older than her – probably around Baekhyun or Jongin’s age – and he indeed resembled a Chinese. Whoa? Actor? But Chanyeol called him ‘Master’. Is Chanyeol planning to become an actor? No, it’s impossible. Then—

“You’ll make his head bigger if you think like that, Jangmi.” Chanyeol disrupted her train of thoughts. “Let me answer that for you. He’s not an actor. It’s true that he’ll occasionally appear in some movies, but you won’t be able to see his face.”

She frowned in confusion. “Why not?” And formed an O as she realized what he meant.

Chanyeol clicked his fingers in satisfaction. “Bingo! He’s only a stuntman.”

“Only a stuntman?” Yixing protested, his voice getting louder as he’s getting more excited and fired up. “Don’t you know how important the role of a stuntman is? Without stuntmen, you will never be able to watch cool action movies!”

“Well, not all movies require stuntmen and there are still many actors willing to do dangerous stunts themselves.”

Yixing was practically shouting right now, his eyes gleaming with pride as he boasted about his job. “What they can do is limited! Stuntmen can be way cooler than them! We do not hesitate in every life-threatening scene we have to act! In this one movie I’m in, the main actor is such a coward that he doesn’t even want to be lifted with wires!”

The door of an apartment beside them suddenly slammed open, revealing Sora in her sleeping attire with an annoyed expression. She put her hands on her hip, staring down at Yixing who had just been yelling. She looked like she was about to eat someone alive.

“Officer Zhang, you’re too loud,” Sora complained unhappily, but her irritated expression was quickly replaced by a cheerful one as soon as she saw Jangmi. “Jangmi! You’re here already? I just got your message that you left your hotel about five minutes ago.”

Officer? Jangmi almost asked Sora why she called Yixing ‘Officer’ when she remembered her first meeting with the SKAT agents. She had been asked to promise that she would keep the existence of SKAT a secret from everyone, even from her family and best friend, Sora. And Baekhyun had been the one who explained the whole situation to Sora as Jangmi hadn’t been allowed to use her old phone. He had pretended to be a police officer to avoid being suspicious. That explained why Sora called Yixing ‘Officer’. Which meant, Yixing was also an SKAT agent.

Sora never mentioned anything about the murder when they texted each other, so Jangmi also didn’t bring up the topic. Probably, Sora wanted to make her feel better by acting like how she usually did. They never asked about each other’s safety, so Jangmi could only ask Baekhyun or the other agents. And Baekhyun always said Sora was safe. Despite being an overly excited stuntman, Yixing must be very reliable.

“Officer Park here is a really amazing driver.” Jangmi jerked a thumb towards Chanyeol. She decided to play along with Baekhyun’s made-up story. She had once thought these agents had been cops. There’s a great chance Sora would also believe it. Hopefully, Chanyeol would play along, too.

In fact, Jangmi didn’t need to worry. Chanyeol’s eyes lit up once she mentioned ‘Officer Park’. “True! I’ve never once let criminals get away! Amazing, huh?”

Is this some kind of game? Jangmi gave Chanyeol a look which he replied with a disgruntled What?.

“Jangmi,” Sora whispered to Jangmi’s ear, “don’t you think these two guys somehow resemble each other? Except the one who came with you has a terrible sense of fashion.”

“I heard that!” Chanyeol exclaimed. He grabbed the hem of his own bright orange sweater, looking offended. “What’s wrong with my sweater?”

Sora sighed audibly. “Never mind. Just come in, you guys. Don’t break anything.”

“Why would I—?” Chanyeol lowered his head to place his mouth near to Jangmi’s ear. “Your friend has a terrible personality.”

“I heard that!”

Jangmi, Chanyeol, and Yixing were sitting on a couch at the living room while Sora went to the kitchen to bring back some snacks and tea. The apartment wasn’t luxurious like her penthouse, but it was cozy. Its size was roughly only a third of her suite. The furniture were arranged nicely and nothing seemed out of place. As expected from Sora who had a great aesthetic sense.

Now that Sora was out of earshot, Jangmi finally asked, “Why do you call him ‘Master’?”

Chanyeol answered after making sure Sora was still preoccupied in the kitchen, “Master Yixing is a self-defense trainer at SKAT. He teaches us how to fight bad guys so we all call him ‘Master’. He’s an expert in many kinds of martial arts. You should see him fight once. He’s amazing!”

“That’s why he could easily do handstand on the railing!”

“Thanks, I guess.” Yixing scratched the back of his head awkwardly. “Don’t praise me that sincere, Chanyeol. Now I don’t know what to say.”

Chanyeol continued, “Master Yixing was born in China. He’s practically unbeatable in Chinese martial arts. Especially kung fu! He has a kung fu dojo back in China. A lot of students attend his classes. And also, many producers asked him to be in their action movies because his moves are simply cool!”

Yixing laughed a little bit too happily, and loudly. “Damn you

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter