Six

Guilty Knight
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Baekhyun had taken his words seriously when he’d said I won’t let you leave my side. Jangmi had been sitting on the couch for hours while watching TV and she found that he constantly looked up from his laptop to glance at her every five minutes or so. Like please, he would certainly realize if she left her seat. He was sitting right next to me on the same couch, for God’s sake!

He’d used to hide in his own room to do his work. It’s quite a surprise that he would come out from his comfort zone to keep an eye on her. She was grateful for the company, but she hoped that he would at least talk to her.

The others hadn’t come back to the suite. They were the only ones there and the silence was suffocating.

“Where’s Jongin?” she finally asked, attempting to start a conversation.

He answered, not taking his eyes off the laptop when they’re now actually talking, “After treating his wounds at the hospital, he said he’s going to the HQ. Reporting the assault to the chief.”

And they were enveloped by silence again.

Sitting close by his side, Jangmi found herself staring at his features – his stoic, serious expression, his black disheveled hair as if he couldn’t be bothered to brush it, his sharp, defined jawline, and his dark brown eyes. He was quite skinny, but she bet he’s unbelievably strong – strong enough to take down a group of bulky men from how he’d come back unscathed on the eventful night. She never stopped wondering how he’d been able to do that, considering his job as a security analyst and a computer programmer. Even if she didn’t know for sure what he did for a living, she’s more than certain that his job wouldn’t require him to fight bad people.

Her eyes traveled to his eyes as she searched the depths of his. Those slanted eyes never showed emotions other than terror – when she’s in danger – and coldness – most of the times.

She’d never seen him smile, not even once. She wondered if—

“What?” He snapped his gaze upwards, probably sensing the intensity of her stare.

“Nothing,” she awkwardly answered and looked away instantly as she felt a wave of heat rushing to her cheeks, threatening to redden them. The fact that she’d just caught staring at him made her feel warm all over her body.

Jangmi’s eyes were fixed back on the TV and it was broadcasting the footage of the inauguration ceremony of Junmyeon’s store, attended by several officials and businessmen she could hardly recognize. Junmyeon was seen cutting the ribbon, followed by thundering ovation. Assemblyman Kim was there, too, shaking hands with other businessmen, faking politeness and friendliness that made her feel nauseous.

However, looking at the murderer’s face was still unbearable for her. The way he’d pulled the gun’s trigger replayed again inside her mind. His victim had collapsed on the ground, the blood pooling around him. Suddenly, the face of the dead man changed into the face of the gangster she’d just hit with the car. She nervously glanced at her hands and she could see his blood on them.

Jangmi stood up so quickly she almost tripped over her own feet, turning off the TV and tossing away the remote control. Her breath was uneven, cold sweat beading her temples. She was shaking terribly, her shoulders moving up and down in a fast pace as she in ragged breaths.

I’m not scared, she repeated.

“Hey, hey. Are you alright?” Baekhyun asked softly from beside her, worry detected in his voice.

Jangmi hadn’t realized when he’d got that close. Baekhyun had invaded her personal space and placed a hand on her shoulder. Oddly, instead of feeling uncomfortable with his invasion, she felt calmer and safer. She eventually started breathing normally again, her tension disappearing. She didn’t want to admit it, but she’s actually feeling far more comfortable with his presence.

“I’m okay.” She wanted to believe she’s okay. She had to be okay.

Baekhyun narrowed his eyes, clearly unconvinced.

Before he could ask another question, Jangmi forced a smile, proving she’s really fine, “I’m going to take a walk.”

 

When she’d said I’m going to take a walk, she’d meant the arcade. She always went there whenever she felt stuffy and suffocated. Right now, more than ever, she wanted to shoot something. Shooting always made her feel better.

And she needed to practice her shooting in case something like earlier happened again. She must be ready. She had to be stronger.

Baekhyun tagged along with her, which was unusual. When she asked him, he only said that he had nothing to do. And she knew obviously he had a lot of work to do. Even so, she didn’t question why he’s lying, because actually, she enjoyed his company. She felt secure with him.

Instead of shooting games, she went for the indoor target shooting range this time. The arcade never failed to surprise her with its wide variety of games and facilities every time she went there. She’d taken a decision to improve her aim. Flashing her JM card once to the worker got her unlimited time limit. With Baekhyun tailing her, she went into the facility. He didn’t seem delighted, though. She assumed that he didn’t like shooting or he couldn’t shoot at all when he insisted to just watch her shoot.

“Miss, if you can get three bull’s eye in a row, we’ll give you that big teddy bear doll over there,” the worker encouraged, pointing towards a big white teddy bear doll in a huge display case behind him.

“I accept your challenge,” Jangmi brightly said, eager to start shooting. The white teddy bear would be a perfect sleep companion. She imagined hugging it at night and how it helped her to sleep more peacefully. So she wore her ear protection and took an air pistol.

After what felt like hours of shooting practice, Jangmi’s eyes grew tired from aiming too much. Being a former high school shooting athlete, she’d managed to hit quite a lot of bull’s eye, but to her disappointment, not consecutively. She couldn’t even shoot it twice in a row, much less three times. It’s indeed unfortunate.

But giving up wasn’t in her dictionary. She’d definitely try again until she got the bear.

“Thank you.” Jangmi came out and approached the worker.

“You’re done, Miss? It’s a pity. You’re so close at getting the bear.” She glanced towards the target Jangmi had shot at which was covered in bullet marks, mostly in the middle.

“I’ll come back tomorrow for the bear,” Jangmi promised. Her eyes were too exhausted at the moment so she believed more shooting would make her aim less precise.

While Jangmi was talking with the shooting range’s worker, she saw Baekhyun stride past them and towards where she’d shot her target, distracting her from her conversation.

What is he doing? Jangmi was going to go back to their suite and she didn’t get why he went back in. She’s about to call him when she finally realized what he’s doing.

Baekhyun put on the ear protection and picked up the air pistol. And Jangmi couldn’t believe her eyes when he started shooting. Only by shooting three times, he’d successfully hit bull’s eye three times in a row. He’d been unenthusiastic to come here earlier, giving Jangmi a wrong idea that he’s bad at this. On the contrary, he’s insanely good.

How can a hacker be this perfect at shooting?

The worker hysterically cheered for him and gave him an applause before she went to get the bear from the display case. “Congratulation, Mister! You’re the best shooter I’ve ever met!” she exclaimed too excitedly, handing him the bear.

 Baekhyun didn’t respond the worker’s congratulation and just walked straight towards Jangmi. He looked her in the eyes when he gave the bear to her. “Here,” he said curtly. His expression remained unchanged.

Baekhyun’s action was so unexpected that Jangmi was left in awe. At that very moment, he looked so dashing and reliable in her eyes. “Thanks.” was the only word she could muster, her cheeks getting hotter each second.

And her heart dangerously threatened to jump out of her rib cage.

 

As a grat

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter