Four

Guilty Knight
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Living in a huge penthouse suite was something Jangmi would never imagine. Her family’s financial condition wasn’t good and they were still struggling to pay their debts. Even the idea of stepping inside this luxurious hotel – she finally found out it was owned by Junmyeon – never crossed her mind. But, she decided to enjoy it while it lasted.

Well, it had been Jangmi’s plan to spend her day with her new friends before she’s off to work. She hadn’t expected that the guys would be gone the moment she opened her eyes the next morning, only leaving her with Baekhyun who seemingly never stepped out from his room. Not wanting to be scolded again by the rude man, Jangmi let him be.

A woman who claimed to be Junmyeon’s assistant visited the suite that morning, bringing so many new woman’s clothes and necessities for Jangmi. To her disappointment, none of the necessities was smartphone. His assistant introduced herself as Moon Gayoung and relayed the message from the secret agents that Jangmi wasn’t allowed to step outside JM Hotel without . Automatically, she was also forced to quit all her part-time jobs and go back being unemployed.

“It’s for your safety,” Gayoung said formally.

Before Jangmi could argue, Gayoung handed her a JM company card. Jangmi was still permitted to walk around inside the hotel and she could pay anything with the card Gayoung had given her. No spending limit.

Jangmi was thankful for Junmyeon’s kindness, but she still preferred to work and earn money herself. She needed to give money to her mother as well – to help her paying their debts. If not, she would feel bad, mostly because her younger brother would take the blame and their mother would vent her rage on him. Her brother already had a tough life. He had to focus on school and restaurant at the same time. Not to mention, he also had to bear with their parents’ constant scolding and quarreling. She would never let him suffer more than he already did. No matter how grumpy and nagging her brother was, she loved him more than anyone in the world.

She definitely should ask them to let her work. Anywhere was fine. Probably inside the hotel if they thought it’s safer.

Not having anything to do and barging into Baekhyun’s room seemed like a very bad idea, Jangmi settled down in front of the TV in the living area after Gayoung had left. Jongin had about her knowledge, so she decided to watch the news. She almost choked on her drink when she saw Junmyeon on TV.

Junmyeon was at a press conference, launching a clothing line – his own fashion brand. He’d branded every products he’d produced as JM, same with the company’s name – JM Group. Jangmi recognized the brand logo on the clothes Gayoung had brought her which meant she’d got to wear JM clothes before it’s launched.

Sora will be really envious if she knows I’m wearing JM clothes before the fashion store even opens, Jangmi thought, giggling while imagining her friend’s reaction. Sora loved fashion a lot and Jangmi was frustrated that she couldn’t contact her to brag about this.

She didn’t even know if she’s safe.

The broadcast of the press conference was followed by the news about the approaching presidential election. The screen was showing the two presidential candidates – Assemblyman Yang and Assemblyman Kim. The killer grabbed the microphone and said something about his goal which was to reunite South Korea and North Korea. But Jangmi was having a hard time to pay attention to his words.

His face, his voice. All of them reminded her a lot about the murder. The scene was replayed in her mind. How the bullet had gone through the pitiful man’s head. How his blood had splattered on the wall. As the result, her heart was pacing a wild beat.

Jangmi stood up too quickly, almost losing her balance in the process, turning off the TV. Taking her wallet, she fled from the suite that started to suffocate her. She’d never imagined someone would terrify her this much. She’d never been afraid of someone like this before.

The memory of that eventful night haunted her even in her sleep and because of that, she barely had enough sleep last night. Her insecurity had woken her up countless times with Baekhyun’s words repeating themselves in her head. Do you want them to come through the window while you’re sleeping and slit your throat?

I’m not afraid of you, she repeated in her mind, addressing the words to Assemblyman Kim.

Jangmi ended up at the arcade inside the hotel after aimlessly wandering around. She spent most of her time there, having fun with the games – especially shooting games. She might not look like it, but she had been a high school shooting athlete for quite a while before dropping out. She unexpectedly had a knack on shooting things. And shooting relieved stress. That’s what she needed the most right now. The worker there happily let her play – free of charges – after looking at her JM card.

When Jangmi got back to their suite to sleep, she hovered near the door of Baekhyun’s room. She wanted to talk to him, thinking maybe if she had a good talk with him she would feel less insecure. But she changed her mind soon, remembering how rude the man had been yesterday.

A good talk with a man like him? You’re hoping too much, Jangmi. Jangmi shook her head and went back to her room, hoping she could get her beauty sleep.

Unfortunately, she had restless nights for the next three days. And lonely as well. Baekhyun didn’t come out at all and the three other guys were nowhere to be seen.

Living in a luxurious suite alone was nothing near enjoyable.

 

A light knock on Jangmi’s door was enough to make her wide awake early in the morning since she was hardly sleeping. After three days, there’s finally a knock on her door. She assumed it was Baekhyun – there’s no one else in the suite besides both of them.

Why would he look for me? Jangmi wondered. He’s been quiet for days. Is there something important? Or emergency?

“What is it Baekhyun? It’s early,” Jangmi said while opening the door, rubbing her eyes and faking her yawn to show that she’d been sleeping just fine before he’d woken her up. She didn’t want him to know that she hadn’t been able to get enough rest because of her uneasiness.

She didn’t want to look weak.

Jangmi almost choked on her own saliva when the door revealed the man behind it. It was Jongin with his bulletproof vest, leaning against the door frame, folding his arms across his chest. He had a playful smile on his face – his wounds had mostly healed.

“Sorry to disappoint you, but I’m not Baekhyun,” Jongin teased, ruffling her hair. “Wake up, you sleepyhead.”

“Well, I can’t help it. You’ve been away for days. I almost thought you wouldn’t be back here,” Jangmi grumbled while fixing her hair. But still, she couldn’t hide her happiness that Jongin was finally here as a smile crept into her face. It’s hard to stay angry at him anyway. “And I’ve woken up already. Thanks to you.”

“Missing me much?” Jongin grinned. He slightly nudged her with his elbow.

Jangmi rolled her eyes and quickly brushed off his question. She refused to be fooled by his endless teasing again. “Do you need something?”

“Want to join us for breakfast?”

Her smile widened from ear to ear when Jongin said us. Which meant they were all here. No more lonely breakfast at the hotel’s restaurant.

“Sure!” she answered brightly, excitement detected in her voice. “I’ll be there in a second!”

Soon, Jangmi found herself sitting together at the dining table with the four secret agents, facing a plate of sandwich. She recognized the sandwich as one of the restaurant’s menu. Whoever had chosen it had a great taste because it’s one of her favorites. When she was about to dig in, she gave the four guys a brief glance.

Jongin was drinking his coffee slowly, blowing to cool it off before slurping, his sandwich still untouched. It’s supposed to be weird to see someone drinking wine early in the morning, but Junmyeon looked classy with his hand on the beautif

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter