Seven

Guilty Knight
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Unable to keep up with their continuous debate, Jangmi tuned out their argument completely, focusing on eating her omelet instead. She roughly understood the part where they planned to place more agents here in the building, but she didn’t get most of the conversation about the security measures of the HQ. Obviously, since she didn’t even know how the HQ looked like and how it worked.

Jangmi only paid attention to them again when Junmyeon suddenly called her name. “Yes?”

“You asked me to find you a job here at the hotel, right?” Junmyeon asked and continued after Jangmi nodded as the confirmation, “I found an empty chef position at Chamomile Restaurant on the ground floor. Chefs work at the kitchen and don’t need to meet a lot of people, which I think is quite safe for you. So, how do you think?”

“Of course I want to take the job!” Jangmi stood up and bowed enthusiastically. She finally got a job and she could send money to her mother to pay their debts. Nothing could make her happier than this. Besides, Chamomile’s dishes were very delicious and she was excited to learn their recipes. “Thank you so much, Junmyeon!”

“I’ll tell the manager later so you can start today.” Junmyeon let out a small laugh. “No need to bow to me, Jangmi. Besides, we’re responsible for forcing you to quit your part-time jobs. So, it’s a must for me to give you a new one.”

The agents were back on their discussion again and Jangmi was left out from the conversation, although she hoped they would be willing to explain a bit to her so she could grasp the gist of their problem. Taking her phone out of her pocket, she decided to text Jiyong instead. With the recent information theft at the HQ, she wanted to make sure her family was safe.

Jangmi: Hey, guess what?

Dragon: I don’t want to know.

She scoffed. Typical Jiyong. Even so, she couldn’t help but crack a smile. She missed her brother very much. It had been almost a year since she’d gone home and Jiyong hadn’t come to visit her as well.

Jangmi: Don’t be like that.

Jangmi: Your big sister got a job.

Dragon: So?

Dragon: What’s your point?

Jangmi: I said a job. Not a part-time job.

Dragon: Oh. Wow.

Jangmi: I’m serious, Jiyong!

Dragon: Me, too!

Dragon: How exactly can you get a job with no high school diploma?

Because she thought that her family would be safer if they didn’t know anything about her current situation, she kept them in the dark, hoping they wouldn’t get involved. But telling her brother where she worked at was a must – he would nag her all week if he asked where she worked at and she answered with a new workplace he didn’t know – and she thought there’s no need to lie about that.

Jangmi: I accidentally met the CEO of JM Group.

Jangmi: You know him, right?

Jangmi: And he kindly offered me a job when I told him I need one.

Dragon: You’re kidding me.

Jangmi: No, I’m not!

Jangmi: I’ll start working at Chamomile Restaurant today.

Jangmi: You know, the one in JM Hotel?

Dragon: Yes, yes. I know.

Dragon: People have been talking about JM Group a lot at school.

Dragon: But how the hell did you meet him?

Jangmi: Long story. I’ll tell you when I see you.

After ending the conversation with Jiyong, Jangmi deleted the chat history and made sure there’s no trace that could tell who Dragon was. She quickly finished her breakfast, planning to go downstairs and visit Chamomile Restaurant when the doorbell to their suite rang. Considering the four agents were still fully engaged in their discussion, Jangmi volunteered to open the door.

She hadn’t expected to see someone she didn’t know waiting behind the door, especially since this suite was supposed to be a hiding place. “Can I help you?” she awkwardly asked.

“You must be the girl.” The tall man clenched shut his eyes, trying to remember something. Everything about him was so messy that she wondered if he’d been busy working all night without sleep and shower. “Uhm, Jang… Jang…”

“Jangmi,” she offered, wondering how he knew her.

He snapped his fingers. “That’s right. Nice to see you.” Then, he invited himself into the suite, walking past her towards the dining table. “Hey, guys! What a nice day we have!”

“Sehun!” Jongin was the only one who actually welcomed him. “It’s been a long time!” He got up from his seat to approach their guest and give him a friendly hug.

So this is Sehun the policeman? She corrected herself, No, the guy playing as the policeman.

“What brings you here?” Junmyeon asked, his tone more surprised than pleased. “I don’t think I told you about this place.” He paused, drown in his thoughts. “Wait, does that mean—?”

Sehun was already on his way to the kitchen. “Exactly! It means disaster. You see, I got a call from Chief Lee yesterday.” He rummaged around in the fridge as if he were in his own home and took a can of coke, taking a sip from it.

“Hey! That’s mine!” Chanyeol announced.

“Thanks, Chanyeol!” Sehun kept drinking from the can that Chanyeol could only shrug in defeat. “Chief Lee said our HQ is basically ed up right now.”

“Language, Sehun,” Junmyeon reminded him. “And? What else? Did he tell you what information they got their hands on?”

“Well, they have most of the agents’ personal information, so we might need to get ready for an ambush. Any type of ambush. Bug on your phone or tail on your back.”

Baekhyun looked up from his laptop. “Do they know about Jangmi? That she’s with us?” Jangmi smiled at this. Baekhyun never failed to show concern for her safety.

“I don’t think so. Minseok said the information about NES and Jangmi is well protected. And thank God the information about the infiltrators is safe, too. They only have our low protected basic profiles, such as our phone numbers, addresses, and so on. The code for the more important information is technically unbreakable. Good job on that, Baekhyun.”

“It doesn’t change the fact that they succeeded in breaking in. Even if the information they managed to get is fortunately less significant.” Baekhyun scratched the back of his head in desperation.

“Don’t worry. Once you’re done changing all the codes into the unbreakable ones, the system will be impenetrable,” Jongin reassured Baekhyun with a light tap on his back. He was the one who’d told Jangmi to believe in Baekhyun’s skill. He trusted his capability. So she had to trust him, too.

My family is safe. She willed herself to think that way.

The doorbell rang again and somehow Jangmi felt that she should be the one opening it.

“I’ll get it!” Jangmi offered and stormed to the door.

While Sehun had struck her as a messy, worn-out tall man, this guy behind the door was the exact opposite from him. He wasn’t that tall, he dressed very neatly, and he looked fresh.

“Good morning. I’m Minseok, an SKAT agent. I assume you’re Jangmi, am I correct?” He slightly bowed as he greeted, making her automatically bowed back.

Even his personality was totally opposite from Sehun’s.

“Good morning, Minseok. Yes, I’m Jangmi. Come on in. Your friends are inside.” Jangmi escorted him to the dining

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter