Chapter 8

Find the Voice Within
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

CHAPTER 8

“You must be Kim Yerim,” a man said with a smile, “Hello, Yerim. I’m Kim Daehyun.”

“Mr. Kim, if you don’t mind proceed back to the living room,” Kahi said.

All of them went back to the living room that included Wendy too and they immediately sat in their respective sit with Yerim sitting closely beside Wendy.

“I’ll be back with a drink. Please make yourself comfortable,” Kahi said and excused herself to the kitchen.

There were minutes of silence before Mr. Kim decided to ask Wendy, “If I must ask, may I know who you are?”

Wendy immediately sat up and answered, “Sorry for not introducing myself just now. You seems to occupy yourself on Yerim, Sir. I’m Wendy Son Seungwan. You can call me Wendy and I’m Yerim’s teacher as well as friend.”

“Friend? Don’t you think the between Yerim and you is kind of… uhhmm… you know?” Mr. Kim asked in amusement.

“I don’t think age would define a friendship, sir. A friend means that to be there for the person you cherish so much and help them throughout their ups and downs, celebrate and feeling defeat together. I think that’s what define a friend to me,” Wendy replied with her eyes focus on Mr. Kim.

Yerim on the other hand felt touched hearing what Wendy had said and hold her hand gently with her tears threaten to fall but she managed to held it back. Mr. Kim smiled seeing the gesture Yerim had on Wendy.

“But sir, if I may ask, why did you decide to adopt Yerim as your child? Is there any specific reason of why you want to adopt her when you knew of her condition?” Wendy asked curiously.

Before Mr. Kim had the opportunity to answer Wendy’s question, they were interrupted by Kahi who walked in with a tray of drinks ready to serve their thirst. Each one of them were being served and enjoyed their drink that included Wendy though she still wasn’t satisfy with her question being left hanging just like that but she had to wait. Manner.

“Right, where were we just now, Mr. Kim?” Kahi asked with a smile.

A fake smile that fooled them. Wendy thought.

“The procedures, Kahi. Considers all the procedures can be done within this week so maybe Yerim could join my spouse and me on the following week perhaps?” Mr. Kim suggested, “We also need preparation on our sides to welcome a new little figure to our home.”

Wendy thought that maybe Mr. Kim wasn’t the problem after all from the way he spoke, those gestures and manner. The contrast was huge from what she had in her mind. She would’ve thought he would be some arrogant, heartless human being but she can’t seem to find an error on him. However, she still wouldn’t let it pass just like that yet. She needs to know more of why he would want Yerim when there were other kids in this house to adopt from.

Not to forget of what Kahi had done to Yerim in the past that made Yerim became terrified and that turned into a trauma which led her to this particular conditions.

“That would be fine, Mr. Kim. You may take your time to get ready before you come and pick Yerim up from here,” Kahi replied, “Please excuse me for a bit.”

Kahi then walked away and left the four of them once again and this time, Wendy resumed the question she asked in that instant.

“Sir, if you don’t mind to resume the question just now,” Wendy politely said.

“Right,” Mr. Kim said as he pondered on what the right words to say to her.

“Little Yerim here is as we know that was diagnosed with mutism. So, I’m one of the scientist that study about it have me decide to adopt her to study her well-being,” Mr. Kim started.

“What do you mean by diagnosed? She had this mutism was because of traumatization, Sir!” Wendy replied firmly, “What do you know about her besides reading the profile given to you by Kahi?”

“Ms. Wendy, it was stated that she was diagnosed with that disease and I only took her to study further about it. No harm is intended here,” Mr. Kim.

“Then what?” Wendy asked while she held her fists firmly on her sides trying to not fume out her anger.

“What do you meant then what?” Mr. Kim was confused.

“I mean after studying her, then what? Are you going to abandon her then? Is that how it is going to be?” Wendy replied with a scoff.

“I think you misunderstand the whole situation, Wendy,” Mr. Kim replied calmly.

“Enlighten me then.”

Before Mr. Kim had the opportunity to reply back at Wendy, another figure came in, “Wendy, what took you so long? I thought… Mr. Kim???”

“Irene, fancy seeing you here,” Mr. Kim replied with a smile.

“What are you doing here, Mr. Kim?” Irene asked while she walked towards them and settled herself beside Yerim while patting her head lightly.

“I think you get the gist of what I’m doing here,” Mr. Kim gesture his hand around the living room.

Irene was first clueless before she gasped, “You meant to say that you are the one that is going to be parent to Yerim here?”

Mr. Kim nodded his head eagerly with a smile.

Irene turned to Wendy and saw that Wendy wasn’t happy about this whole situation about how Yerim was getting adopted with her situation like this.

“Mr. Kim, would you mind to excuse Wendy and me for a while?” Irene stood up as she quickly held Wendy’s hand and dragged her lightly out from the living room to outside of the house.

“What happened?” Irene caressed Wendy’s cheek lightly.

“I don’t like the idea of Yerim getting adopt with this kind of conditions in her. Can she at least stay until she’s fully recover and ready?” Wendy asked Irene almost like beg.

“I don’t know, Wendy. Perhaps I could try to talk to Mr. Kim and see how it goes,” Irene replied.

“Please do. Please help me to convince him to not take Yerim away. Do you know what is he going to do with her?” Wendy begged Irene, “He’s studying on her. Did he even know that Yerim doesn’t inherit the mutism? It’s all by the cause of that one person; you-know-who!”

“Wendy, you need to calm down. He’s not going to take her with him tonight. I’m going to do all I can to check on what’s going on and whether he know of Yerim’s situation,” Irene replied, “Now, calm down and let’s head in, okay?”

Wendy nodded and dragged herself in with a heavy heart. Her heart wasn’t at rest when she knew the possibilities of Yerim get taken away.

Once they were both in the living room, it seems like all of them include Kahi were there with Mr. Kim starting to talk about how he knew of Yerim’s existence and why he was drawn to Yerim while Kahi was all smile and nodding her head to Mr. Kim’s words. On the other hand, Wendy was listening carefully to what Mr. Kim had said before she made her conclusion while holding tight onto Irene’s hand. She only let loose when she felt that Irene was squeezing her hand gently to reassure her that everything is going to be alright.

“I guess that’s all for tonight. I guess I’ll be seeing you again next week, Kahi? And see you two around,” Mr. Kim smiled as he stood up with his spouse beside him. Mrs. Kim didn’t talk much during that time but she did gave out an aura that would left such a person to be remember and Wendy was the

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter